Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

CzarChasm posted:

I kind of expected where that one was going after a few seconds, but I loved the entire ride. Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Johnny Aztec posted:

Given the quality of the last like...15 seasons, do you really see people going " oh now, they've really gone too far" and stop watching?

I mean, the people still watching, their standards cant be all that high

I legit do not understand the economics that keep the show profitable. They must have some kind of viewership numbers that advertisers accept but I genuinely do not understand how they have enough.

Like, I get how they make money on the rest of their lineup, but with what the cast of the Simpsons makes, I just don't get it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really think they're coasting on name recognition and legacy; it's the longest running primetime scripted show in the history of the country. And yeah nobody's walking around with "I'm bart simpson who the hell are you" shirts but there's still absolute garbage piles of merch being made and sold, plus an entire section of Universal dedicated to the show. It's the anchor of their Sunday lineup and even if it doesn't necessarily cover its own costs via advertising I think they understand that cancelling it could potentially cost them the entire night.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Massive export markets.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Baron von Eevl posted:

And yeah nobody's walking around with "I'm bart simpson who the hell are you" shirts
Well now I'm more of a Bang Bang Bart.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghostlight posted:

Well now I'm more of a Bang Bang Bart.

I'd buy a shirt that's Bang Bang Bart but it's the Bang Bang neon sign from Twin Peaks

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

This thread is admirably like the show - the longer it goes on, the shittier it gets.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

spank my snatch posted:

This thread is admirably like the show - the longer it goes on, the shittier it gets.

I thought my posts last page were pretty good :smith:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

:lol:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfaithful husband, too.

And lets not forget that time he tried to eat a person

Abe Simpson: Terrible father, unfaithful husband, semi-competent cannibal

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
https://ew.com/movies/tanya-roberts-mistakenly-declared-dead/

Life imitates art

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1346237376025288704?s=09

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ikanreed posted:

I thought my posts last page were pretty good :smith:

They were and are. That dood doesn't know what's up.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I sure wish I knew who Tanya Roberts was

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

ChesterJT posted:

I sure wish I knew who Tanya Roberts was

Well, doing the very basic work of clicking the link immediately tells you she was a bond girl from A View to a Kill, and was in That 70s Show, so you could try clicking the link instead of whining into the void but what do I know.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Neighbor mom on that 70s show also some crappy jungle girl movie from the 80s

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Quality content

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/ViciousSkid/status/1346275063364874241

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Azathoth posted:

I legit do not understand the economics that keep the show profitable. They must have some kind of viewership numbers that advertisers accept but I genuinely do not understand how they have enough.

Like, I get how they make money on the rest of their lineup, but with what the cast of the Simpsons makes, I just don't get it.

When I used to be into TV ratings news websites and forums, I remember seeing the ad rates for scripted network programming from around...08/09 I think. The Simpsons had the highest cost per-30 second commercial for any half hour program by far, and I think only Law and Order: SVU and CSI were ahead for hour long stuff.

This is for 2020 and includes unscripted (sports, reality) shows too, and Simpsons is near the top still: https://adage.com/article/media/tvs-most-expensive-shows-advertisers-season/2281176

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This reminds me more of "The Oval Office is located on the 2nd floor of the White House. President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. His lead Secret Service agent is an agent Johnson or Johnstone"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Trump is the one person on earth I can imagine using "I'm a viking at [x]" to mean he's great at [x]

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

CommonShore posted:

who buys poo poo with The Simpsons on it? I haven't seen any Simpsons anything anywhere since maybe around the time that the movie came out.

Japanese teenagers. There's actually been a small trend of Simpsons fashionwear here in Japan. The irony is the show never had much penetration here so they don't actually know who Bart Simpson is, they just know he looks good on a t-shirt.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

RillAkBea posted:

Japanese teenagers. There's actually been a small trend of Simpsons fashionwear here in Japan. The irony is the show never had much penetration here so they don't actually know who Bart Simpson is, they just know he looks good on a t-shirt.

Eat my shirt!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're right. I don't think the Simpsons would have done nearly as well if this poo poo didn't slap

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Trump is the one person on earth I can imagine using "I'm a viking at [x]" to mean he's great at [x]

I mean yeah, he is as dumb as Ralph.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was a hair too young for Simpsons mania in 1990-1992, but uh, yeah that was the impression I always got-- that while the show was popular the merchandisable aesthetic was what really cemented it.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

I remember back in 97 I could have bought this shirt at the mall. The whole day I kept saying "I'll buy it a little later. I'll buy it a little later" and when I got there they told me they'd just sold out and when I asked a mall guy if they'd come back in stock again, he said he didn't know.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

When I used to be into TV ratings news websites and forums, I remember seeing the ad rates for scripted network programming from around...08/09 I think. The Simpsons had the highest cost per-30 second commercial for any half hour program by far, and I think only Law and Order: SVU and CSI were ahead for hour long stuff.

This is for 2020 and includes unscripted (sports, reality) shows too, and Simpsons is near the top still: https://adage.com/article/media/tvs-most-expensive-shows-advertisers-season/2281176

Yeah, I don't doubt that they do make money, I just don't understand how they have the audience to command that. I mean, I get CSI and SVU commanding those bucks in the late 00s, I knew a ton of people who watched those shows at the time. I just don't understand how The Simpsons has a comparable audience to command those advertiser rates, but I guess that's why I'm not making the big bucks with Nielsen's or whoever tracks that these days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like with everything, it's boomers who just obediently smile and laugh at the swirling colours.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

pitch a fitness posted:

I remember back in 97 I could have bought this shirt at the mall. The whole day I kept saying "I'll buy it a little later. I'll buy it a little later" and when I got there they told me they'd just sold out and when I asked a mall guy if they'd come back in stock again, he said he didn't know.
:golfclap:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Familiarity and continuity are extremely strong retention forces. The Simpsons is stable in characters and also easy to follow, episodes rarely require knowledge of previous story. Then you can add in lots of people growing up with it and all the modern hyper-nostalgia trends.

That's a hell of a stable marketing demographic to aim at.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like with everything, it's boomers who just obediently smile and laugh at the swirling colours.

It's not just boomers, it's more just general dumbness. I once overheard coworkers talking on a Monday about watching Simpsons the previous night. Except from how they described it they didn't even "watch" it - they put it on in the background while they were cooking or playing board games or something. The coworker explicitly said it's good for this purpose.

I think lots of people "watch" the show like that. Put it on because they remember it's funny and they liked it as a kid, so use it as background noise. Even though modern episodes aren't funny, I bet there's still 1 or 2 low effort chuckle jokes per episode and that's more than enough for the purpose of background noise.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

goatface posted:

easy to follow, episodes rarely require knowledge of previous story

I hate how rare this has become on modern TV. Everything is a season long if not series long arc that ends up being an absurd time investment for even the most mundane of shows. And the payoff at the end is almost never worth it. Bring back singular self encapsulated episodes, with maybe occasional 2 parters.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Bobstar posted:

This reminds me more of "The Oval Office is located on the 2nd floor of the White House. President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. His lead Secret Service agent is an agent Johnson or Johnstone"

Here's your package Mr Biden.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Azathoth posted:

quote:

The Simpsons: Tapped Out

According to its own estimates, EA generated over $130 million in revenue since the game's release, as of 2014. As of 2020, the game has received 80 million downloads and grossed $200 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons:_Tapped_Out

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
There's also a huge audience (my dad and brother among them) that has enjoyed the last 20 years of episodes and would be very confused if you told them you thought the show is unwatchable after season X or Y.

You know, idiots.