Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fauxtool posted:

the 3080 tuf i bought today on amazon was at old msrp so it hasnt hit the current inventory there yet. Not that it does you any good since you cant take advantage of it.

I tried grabbing that drop also, and it was instantly out for me, lol. I don't know how you're able to grab them so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Man, getting one of those Newegg bundles and also miraculously managing to refund the other half of it before they started refusing them seems like one hell of a stroke of luck now.

I say "seems" because I got one of those Gigabyte 3080s with the semi-busted connectors. Sure, I managed to bend the pins back into place, and it's been totally fine so far, but well... I'm still glad for the 3-year warranty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There was this a few days ago, but GPUs are made in Taiwan, no?

maybe the assembly happens elsewhere

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 5, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

There was this a few days ago, but GPUs are made in Taiwan, no?

maybe the assembly happens elsewhere

Final assembly is mostly still in China, just looked and the PNY 3090 I got was assembled in China.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

drat, i forgot the golden rule of cryptocurrency, everyone involved is a complete idiot hyping things up that have zero chance of working

how's that lightning network working boys

in hindsight I'm extremely not regretting my 3090 purchase last month, this is just gonna make things even worse

32 loving thousand dollars per btc is all the why needed for these people. How never even entered their heads.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SourKraut posted:

I tried grabbing that drop also, and it was instantly out for me, lol. I don't know how you're able to grab them so fast.

according to my logs, I added it to cart 8 times before it showed in cart and then refreshed 5 times before I was able to successfully checkout. This took about 90 seconds from when the first alert pinged in stock. I couldnt actually add it to cart until about 60s in.

I think a lot of people are adding it to cart, refreshing and not seeing it there and the leaving when its very much still there if you refresh another few times.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

gently caress it, i'm for sure sitting this generation out

the 2070S is fine for the games i play anyway

Same, CP 2077 @ 1080p on Geforce Now will do me just fine - nothing else I'm interested in outside of RT Witcher 3 whenever that comes out.

Increased gpu prices should be good for the cloud gaming companies.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

let's see how it impacts the rollout of the mid-gen cards (i.e. Supers)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shipon posted:

drat, i forgot the golden rule of cryptocurrency, everyone involved is a complete idiot hyping things up that have zero chance of working

how's that lightning network working boys

in hindsight I'm extremely not regretting my 3090 purchase last month, this is just gonna make things even worse

if you dig up the crypto thread there's probably some posts from me in 2018 calling him an idiot who couldn't get the job done and lol now it's 2021. proof of stake has been "just around the corner!!! any day now!!!" forever

and the kid is like a multimillionaire, and iirc they were talking about adding a tax that gets paid to him as well? (seems to violate that whole idea of a decentralized currency to have a boss that literally gets paid a tax but idk)

wish I could get in on that kind of grift, getting millions for doing basically nothing, but I guess I like not being in jail for operating unlicensed securities

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 5, 2021

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Well, I guess i'm going to hold on to my 3080 that I got for $749 for a while.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

wish I could get in on that kind of grift, getting millions for doing basically nothing, but I guess I like not being in jail for operating unlicensed securities

With the money he and other early-in grifters have, he could probably just buy himself a nice little tropical island and not worry about silly things like US tax codes and extradition laws.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

repiv posted:

gently caress it, i'm for sure sitting this generation out

the 2070S is fine for the games i play anyway

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. It does what I need and unless the 30x0 Super refresh has some amazing price/perf model I might end up skipping this generation altogether.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

good luck to anyone trying to get a new GPU anytime soon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

and the kid is like a multimillionaire, and iirc they were talking about adding a tax that gets paid to him as well? (seems to violate that whole idea of a decentralized currency to have a boss that literally gets paid a tax but idk)

It totally makes sense, I mean, all other criminal enterprises have a pyramid scheme built into them. Why shouldn’t cryptoincels?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
comment from a DeepCool rep on the tariff hikes, this is likely going to affect pretty much everything (as there's virtually no US-based manufacturing in the tech sector)

quote:

One of our shipping containers arrived on 12/31 and still got a hike as it entered.

Not sure if they are the exact same tariffs, but given how complex trade gets with taxes/tariffs they are probably related. This might be the result of special exclusions that companies like ours applied for. Various industries are affected and many of them will pass the cost onto consumers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/business/economy/china-tariffs-exclusions-expire.html

From his URL it looks like the exclusions expired on the 31st.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
building my new pc before the end of the year was the right choice instead of waiting until feb for when i could actually enjoy it.

it would be nice if China was honest about the awful business practices that the tariffs are in response to instead of pretending that its one-sided and unfair punishment by the US.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 5, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fauxtool posted:

building my new pc before the end of the year was the right choice instead of waiting until feb for when i could actually enjoy it.

same. picked up a ryzen 5600x and 3080 at launch. also have picked up a new super flower psu, gb x570 aorus elite, replacement ram, schiit dac/amp (magni/modi stack), massdrops hd 6x around the same time this time. no regrets especially if all that poo poo starts going up $$$$

well only regret is I've been loving slammed and havent had much time for gaming :(

I've actually been considering a new monitor but looks like I'll be waiting. and honestly I'm mostly waiting for something really "generation"-defining to come out because it seems monitor tech is sort of a bit stagnant right now whereas TV tech is going to the moon so hopefully it trickles down to smaller sizes.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 5, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

hell yeah.

I still want to move up from my quad-core, but I figure I can wait a little longer for that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I feel lucky that with the first stimulus check I was able to put together a completely new system, monitor and all, by the end of May.

I have gotten so spoiled by my new 27" monitor I'm considering getting another lower-specced one just for work-from-home purposes. When I use 24" monitors now they just feel kind of cramped and over-magnified, like I need to scale them down below 100%.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Paul MaudDib posted:

comment from a DeepCool rep on the tariff hikes, this is likely going to affect pretty much everything (as there's virtually no US-based manufacturing in the tech sector)
AMD and Intel both make stuff outside of China. Ryzen is Taiwan and USA + assembly facilities in China and Malaysia, last I knew.

My 3080's been a hassle but I'm glad I got it in December.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On that note, has Brexit started to impact hardware procurement over in the UK?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
not that much, the 11th hour deal is tariff free on goods so the hold up is still mostly Covid and supply. Saying that I haven't seen 3xxx drops that lasted long enough to push an alert out to the non-general-chat discord in January and 6800xx just doesn't exist in Europe. I managed to spot and buy a Gigabyte Eagle OC 3070 for £519.99 on Christmas Day before it even hit the discord I was watching and luckily received it on the 29th. Aside from the FEs it's far and away the cheapest one I had seen going whilst F5ing through December

Zen 3 availibility is more common, they were rare as hen's teeth in December but 5600x and 5800x are in stock right now at Scan

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 5, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Didn't want to buy a PS5 when I had the chance last week, but I guess now is the time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does anybody have any insight into why a graphics driver would mess with fan control? I thought that was controlled via the BIOS or software.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1346406047477620736

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Does anybody have any insight into why a graphics driver would mess with fan control? I thought that was controlled via the BIOS or software.

I have no idea. On my old Gainward 2060 fan control was hosed. Same fans on a motherboard fan connection (with an adapter) worked perfectly. You could do the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there really any reason to expect that the supply of 3080s will normalize this year given how easy it is for resellers to scoop up any extra supply? It’s starting to feel like this will go on until the next series comes out, and then we’ll still be paying scalper prices for the previous two generations of cards.

Seeing 2080s on sale locally for $1,000 broke my brain a bit.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

I have no idea. On my old Gainward 2060 fan control was hosed. Same fans on a motherboard fan connection (with an adapter) worked perfectly. You could do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not about to mess with anything that might void the warranty if I finally decide to RMA. Would probably already have done that if there was any chance of receiving a new one within a reasonable timeframe.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
They need to hurry up and announce the 3080ti. My EVGA step up is expiring soon!

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I got lucky and managed to buy a 3070 last night. Now time to see if I can get a Ryzen 5000 series or stick with my i5-6600k for another year :shepspends:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should probably work on getting those previous cards made that nobody was actually able to buy

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
2020 became the year of disappointment for gamers. It’s like the Twilight Zone episode with the guy that finally had all the time in the world to read but broke his glasses in an apocalypse. All the excuses to stay inside, new graphics cards, CPUs, and consoles release, and Cyberpunk is out finally.... except nobody can get their hands on the hardware and Cyberpunk was half-assed.

I can’t even get the bicycle I wanted to go outside and not be a neck beard goon given the metals shortage. What a time. What cruelty

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm still after a 3080 for my brother, but the number of AIB 3080s being sold in Europe and the UK has pretty much plummeted to zero. In October and early November there were drops every couple of days or so, but since mid-November it's been a famine.

I'm just guessing here but MSI, Gigabyte , Asus etc must be secretly selling them to miners, right? The FEs are available for a minute every 2/3 weeks, but the AIBs seemed to have totally disappeared apart from the odd one appearing on Amazon for £1500.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rollie Fingers posted:

I'm just guessing here but MSI, Gigabyte , Asus etc must be secretly selling them to miners, right? The FEs are available for a minute every 2/3 weeks, but the AIBs seemed to have totally disappeared apart from the odd one appearing on Amazon for £1500.

Its probably distributors, not the AIB vendors themselves.

Well, msi maybe :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malloc Voidstar posted:

AMD and Intel both make stuff outside of China. Ryzen is Taiwan and USA + assembly facilities in China and Malaysia, last I knew.

My 3080's been a hassle but I'm glad I got it in December.

I don't really understand the exact nexus between manufacturing/assembly location and tariffs here, but NVIDIA makes all their consumer stuff in Korea right now and surely some of the partners are located in Taiwan, but apparently that isn't sufficient.

(that or the partners all just collectively decided that welp, it's all selling anyway, might as well raise margins a bit even if we're not the ones getting taxed.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 5, 2021

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
drat am I glad I was able to snag a 3080 off amazon yesterday at the original MSRP.

Might be worth running fairgame at original pricing for a little while yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Snagged a 3080 FE from Best Buy just now so I am set for the meantime. Still hope 3080 Ti isn't too bad, I'd rather have 20GB, but this is fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You folks getting them from Best Buy, are you grabbing them online or just hitting the actual store every morning or what?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Online.

Best Buy isn't sending inventory to stores like Microcenter, they are selling them online and shipping to store for pickup (they won't ship to home, that's part of their anti-botter tactics).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Bad Munki posted:

You folks getting them from Best Buy, are you grabbing them online or just hitting the actual store every morning or what?

I grabbed mine online and as far as I know they don't sell the cards in-store.