Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-1-january-2021

Hey anyone mentioned this piece of poo poo yet? No other country in the world does it and basically means small companies selling into the U.K. are going to be hit with multiple thousand pound bills just for doing business here. Several small companies have already said online “were selling worldwide! excluding U.K.” because of how ridiculous it is.

TLDR: they’re expecting and demanding any company that sells stuff into the U.K. that it will register as a British company and file tax returns for vat as if it was a British company, even if they actually don’t do anything in the U.K.

Anyone who still thinks the tories are the party of business are delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Just heard the man on the telly speaking on behalf of the prime minister say "there is a risk of an escaped mutant". Its like one of those low budget horror movies where they use real bbc people talking on a telly in the background to make things seem more crazy realistic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Close the loving borders you pricks.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hey anyone mentioned this piece of poo poo yet? No other country in the world does it and basically means small companies selling into the U.K. are going to be hit with multiple thousand pound bills just for doing business here. Several small companies have already said online “were selling worldwide! excluding U.K.” because of how ridiculous it is.

TLDR: they’re expecting and demanding any company that sells stuff into the U.K. that it will register as a British company and file tax returns for vat as if it was a British company, even if they actually don’t do anything in the U.K.

I have never seen an 'empire' commit suicide before, the view from the inside is very perplexing. :munch:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/shipping

Here’s an example, literally “we can sell to everyone but not the brits”

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1316887009198141441

William Shatner even pops up to say “uh yeah poo poo sorry folks I can’t sell to you either, bear me up outta the U.K. scotty”

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

The EU has been planning on doing this for a while now, and it's expected to happen in the summer, this has nothing to do with Brexit or anything, UKs just going first.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Drone_Fragger posted:

William Shatner even pops up to say “uh yeah poo poo sorry folks I can’t sell to you either, bear me up outta the U.K. scotty”

Now we'll have no choice but to buy British. :britain:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its been mentioned, bike saddles as an example, and pointed out that Captain Kirk told us about this months ago (that tweet is from October) but then everyone lost interest and started talking about how much of a prick shatner was and how Sisko was much better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

Oh he's saying they're going to 'look at' wasted uni accommodation costs. Which they didn't do anything about during the last two lockdowns. I'm sure that'll go really far.

You know why they kept all that uni accommodation open - because for the past few years, my email inbox has been flooded with 'opportunities' to buy 'units' in student accommodation blocks with guaranteed returns for at least 3 years of about 6-7%. And in some cases Guaranteed buy back of your unit should you want to sell.

Obviously these property companies are losing money hand over fist if students aren't living there. Wouldn't like to take a guess at how many tory mps and ministers are connected with these companies.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not sure in itself it's a bad idea just badly implemented. You don't want businesses like Netflix or Amazon AWS to be able to always undercut British businesses by 20%. It needs sensible implementations like minimum volumes and/or easy ways for smaller companies to co-operate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Drone_Fragger posted:

Some absolutely moronic brexiteer responses to that tweet.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

got tea up my nose from laughing at tim martin's picture there - he like :catdrugs:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Isn't this a tax on businesses operating in the UK but headquartered elsewhere? It smells an awful like a step in the right direction to me. I assume I'm misunderstanding the implications...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jiggerypokery posted:

Isn't this a tax on businesses operating in the UK but headquartered elsewhere? It smells an awful like a step in the right direction to me. I assume I'm misunderstanding the implications...

Nope. Splotter Games just announced that they were hit with it, and they're a garage company in the Netherlands who manufacture only to demand.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

stev posted:

Close the loving borders you pricks.

Too late, the UK strain is already everywhere in the EU.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Jedit posted:

Nope. Splotter Games just announced that they were hit with it, and they're a garage company in the Netherlands who manufacture only to demand.

quote:

Here, you find all of our latest and greatest games which are still available to order. Please note that due to new post-Brexit regulations regarding VAT we are unable to take any new orders from the United Kingdom.

gently caress

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Critical Role's UK shop has had the opposite problem - they registered it as a UK outpost so they could easily deliver to EU countries, but now they've had to stop delivering to Europe a bunch of EU countries:

https://shop.critrole.co.uk/pages/faq

Wouldn't be surprised if they relocated to Ireland and stopped shipping to the UK.

E: worbs

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Was there no pre-warning on this change? Because this is going to cause massive economic disruptions that will materially affect people's ability to get supplies and keep their job during already strained financial times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Covok posted:

Was there no pre-warning on this change? Because this is going to cause massive economic disruptions that will materially affect people's ability to get supplies and keep their job during already strained financial times.
Sounds like project fear talk to me.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

My missus works in a wholesaler who thought they would be able to export to EU with the 'deal', turns out that as they import stuff for export, it's not covered, so they have to pay tariffs.
So all EU orders have cancelled since this morning.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, there was plenty of pre-warning, but it was an EU idea, and as we've decided to leave the EU but keep implementing all of their lovely ideas I guess this is happening but just for the UK now.

Guess that's a good business opportunity for a Parcel Motel type thing but on the other side of the border oh no wait border's in the sea now.

Also VAT is a lovely regressive tax.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
The biggest issue with corporate agile adoption is that the most important success factor for it is to empower workers and let them do the job in a way that they deem most appropriate, with a lot of support but with minimal oversight.

Since this goes against the power structures in most major companies, what actually happens is an attempt to cargo cult their way into success by forcing workers to do Scrum ceremonies with no understanding of what they are meant to be for.

This isn't unique to agile, and really is just a part of a 100 year management theory back and forth between "empowered and motivated workers increase productivity" and "but then how do I oppress the workers and prevent them from organising".

The only thing that really depresses me about it is when I hear workers blaming the (pretty sound, very pro-worker, arguably anarchist) ideas rather than their lovely corporate culture.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh wow, the Crit Role thing isn't just 'some' countries:

quote:

Following the closure of the French-UK border, international courier services have been suspended. Shipping to the following countries have been suspended:

Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine.

So... Basically just Ireland left? And Spain apparently.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You know why they kept all that uni accommodation open - because for the past few years, my email inbox has been flooded with 'opportunities' to buy 'units' in student accommodation blocks with guaranteed returns for at least 3 years of about 6-7%. And in some cases Guaranteed buy back of your unit should you want to sell.

Obviously these property companies are losing money hand over fist if students aren't living there. Wouldn't like to take a guess at how many tory mps and ministers are connected with these companies.

Nah it's all on the money they made available as loans to Universities for student accommodation a few years back - they don't have to repay as long 1 out of every 2 years they show they're not losing money. Guess which year it was for loads of Unis in 2020? So the none...Russell group is it? ones went to the Government and said 'shore us up with £40 million and we can see it through' and they predictably told them to do one. Hence them still charging for the student shitshow the last 10 months.
(source, a friend who works at a big London Uni, literally this morning, although he'd told me this before)

I think someone said it here, there's nothing pro-active with any of these despicable fuckers, it's always reactive, and always to the point of being too late and costing far more money than it would've if any of them listened or weren't so concerned with their own interests. Who eats that cost? We do, as taxpayers. gently caress them all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Covok posted:

Yes there was. Captain Kirk (aka William Shatner) - we kid you not - warned back in October.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

The tax is already collected, it’s just collected at the border by HMRC who then get that from the courier which then passes it onto you. It’s why you’ll occasionally get a bill from fedex or have to pay tax at the post office to pick up a parcel.

The U.K. government is demanding that companies to register and pay the vat directly, and actually pay for the privilege of doing so, as well as having to fill in a bunch of forms, and register and suchlike.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh wow, the Crit Role thing isn't just 'some' countries:

So... Basically just Ireland left? And Spain apparently.

have you a link for this?
My brother in France needs to renew his passport which requires courier services between UK and France.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

every day is a continuous, ongoing :smithicide:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

have you a link for this?
My brother in France needs to renew his passport which requires courier services between UK and France.
Oh sorry, that's specifically from one online store:

https://shop.critrole.co.uk/pages/faq

Though presumably whatever's stopping them from using a courier is probably going to stop your brother using a courier as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A good motivator I read about was reframing the question from 'I should do the thing' to 'when am I going to do the thing.' It feels more resolved.

For example, if it's almost 5pm, it's probably time to stop thinking 'i should get up' and start thinking 'when am I going to get up.'

Which is weird, because you'd think that would be the exact circumstance that would be impacted. "The impact it's had on my business is that I can't go round to people's houses any more, and that's how I make income." They should be able to claim the covid relief. They probably can't claim UC because of the 16 hours thing, but they should at least get the self employed covid relief.

Whereas my business involves sitting at home alone, so really I can't argue that the pandemic has had any effect other than psychological strain. I don't even have the excuse of "I can't concentrate with the kids / my partner home all day" because my wife is an essential worker and I don't have kids.

There's weird rules that stop a lot of self employed people claiming anything other than the one off loan. Claiming dividends I think was a common one.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Gov is going to introduce requirement for covid tests for international arrivals

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just heard the man on the telly speaking on behalf of the prime minister say "there is a risk of an escaped mutant". Its like one of those low budget horror movies where they use real bbc people talking on a telly in the background to make things seem more crazy realistic.

Are you sure he wasn't speaking about the PM?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ewan posted:

Gov is going to introduce requirement for covid tests for international arrivals

thank you time traveller from February 2020, this was a very sensible policy

oh...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ewan posted:

Oh good, this is a strong start to the government's pandemic response

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ewan posted:

Only a year late on that...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they going to hold people until they actually get the results or are they just going to poke them with a swab?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

∆∆∆ will it not be that they need a certificate of a negative test not earlier than 48 hours or whatever before travel?

I think it's actually only for international foreign arrivals too? As in not for ex pats or returning British holiday makers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They need to just bite the bullet and adopt the NZ model where no one gets in and those that have to get in are forced to isolate (rather than just asked to).

They won't do it but until they do we'll just continually import and export new varients until we're all dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Put all incoming travellers in empty uni accommodation for two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

XMNN posted:

thank you time traveller from February 2020, this was a very sensible policy

oh...

when you think about it, are we not all time travellers...?

:350: