Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There have been debtors prisons in history where you are required to live in a jail cell that you can leave to go do work to earn money to pay your debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

There have been debtors prisons in history where you are required to live in a jail cell that you can leave to go do work to earn money to pay your debt.

Being enslaved to pay your debts was a thing in ancient Mesopotamia.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Facebook Aunt posted:

(I think this has been a thing at times in human history?)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It appears that every map is garbage because everyone shares a border when it's convenient for the plot. Some fans have gotten their nerd on though and calculated that at warp 9.9 it'd take a year to cross the z axis in the milky way, so there's plenty of "height" in the galaxy for everyone's borders to twist around each other.

I'm pretty sure the map in the TNG A Final Unity game did indeed have lots of border z-axis wrapping on their 3D map.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I also read someone who put way more thought into this than I have mention that you’re dealing with very small islands of solar systems in 3 dimensional space, so there might just be negotiated “lanes” between the empires where only their ships are supposed to be, “neutral zones” where no ships can be, and beyond that everything else is just whatever.

Maybe you have something akin to “territorial waters” so far from the center of one of your solar systems, but space is really fuckin big so the whole idea of a territorial map is likely junk anyway.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

These maps indicate two dimensional thinking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

Mostly they indicate two dimensional display technology

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

Nice reference.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

Stops copies me!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, the Admiral and Ossyra negotiating a new Federation was legitimately interesting and I was seriously hoping that Michael and Co. would liberate Discovery only to have the Admiral tell them it doesn’t matter because the Armistice is worth pursuing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
should've had their escape attempt break a basically agreed upon armistice just to drive home how much the crew of that ship sucks rear end

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

should've had their escape attempt break a basically agreed upon armistice just to drive home how much the crew of that ship sucks rear end

To be fair, it's the duty of captured officers to try to escape if possible. Even if that weren't the case, the idea that an agreement would be scuttled because prisoners who had no idea what was going on in the negotiations (which they could only assume were taking place) escaped is silly, even for Discovery.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

tarlibone posted:

To be fair, it's the duty of captured officers to try to escape if possible. Even if that weren't the case, the idea that an agreement would be scuttled because prisoners who had no idea what was going on in the negotiations (which they could only assume were taking place) escaped is silly, even for Discovery.

ok this then: they reach an armistice and admiral dad communicates to her that its going on and all she needs to do is sit still for 8 seconds without crying or whispering and then she fucks it up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Preview pics for this week's ep:

I was extremely confused by the first one until I realized that's probably how the holoprogram depicts Adira. Anyone want to ID what race they're depicted as?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was extremely confused by the first one until I realized that's probably how the holoprogram depicts Adira. Anyone want to ID what race they're depicted as?

Clearly bonearian, from Bonearia Prime. You can tell because of the bone ears.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

New and improved S3 klingons

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They're a Xahean. Queen Po from last season is one of these.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

xahean I think

edit: 2 slow

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Looks like a pretty neat EDM concert

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, is it me or do the Emerald Chain goons remind anyone else of Federation Troopers from Blake's 7?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm no fancy big city screenwriter but I really feel like Discovery should stop having people say things and then immediately have the opposite thing happen.

Why even leave the line of Tilly threatening to blow up the ship in the script if you're going to have her just immediately not do that for no reason.

Why have Book say there's no way to morph around a big thing in the galactic highway if the ship is just going to immediately do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, is it me or do the Emerald Chain goons remind anyone else of Federation Troopers from Blake's 7?

THANK YOU it’s been bugging me the last week.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

They're a Xahean. Queen Po from last season is one of these.

I knew the look was familiar! Good eye

Since the finale is this week, I'm posting to remind myself of my prediction that the Xaheans will ultimately be responsible for solving the dilithium crisis once Su'kal is dealt with

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So I've been wondering why they wrote the holodeck so that it's species-swapping people going into it and...is it just so they can triple-layer Adira's identity issues?

That's the only narrative reason I can think of, except Adira doesn't actually have identity issues. Gender isn't in doubt and the trill stuff got settled a long time ago.

e: Oh yeah, they got Doug Jones out of his makeup. But Adira was very deliberately shuffled onto the planet when there wasn't really a reason for them to be there, so I'm presuming there's an important payoff coming there.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 5, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

So I've been wondering why they wrote the holodeck so that it's species-swapping people going into it and...is it just so they can triple-layer Adira's identity issues?

That's the only narrative reason I can think of, except Adira doesn't actually have identity issues. Gender isn't in doubt and the trill stuff got settled a long time ago.

It was very obviously done as an excuse to let Doug Jones show his weirdly charming British face

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Any one notice how actors that play face prosthetic major characters are always surprisingly old?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

But Adira was very deliberately shuffled onto the planet when there wasn't really a reason for them to be there, so I'm presuming there's an important payoff coming there.

Lol

If there's any real point to it at all, it isn't even about Adira, it's about Stamets getting to say that there's coffee my whole world in that nebula!

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to be tricked into expecting a meaningful payoff from Discovery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Any one notice how actors that play face prosthetic major characters are always surprisingly old?

Michael Dorn didn't seem any older to me than Worf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Michael Dorn didn't seem any older to me than Worf

He was a forehead alien, I'm talking about full face prosthetic dudes like Odo and Gul Dukat.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

when the actor's face is going to be completely covered anyway they don't have to cast the most attractively young looking people

weirdly enough most of the best actors on star trek tend to be covered in prosthetics

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

This is definitely a thing, but also I think Doug Jones looks bizarrely young for 60.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

This is definitely a thing, but also I think Doug Jones looks bizarrely young for 60.

He just gets taller instead of wrinkley

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Wheeee posted:

when the actor's face is going to be completely covered anyway they don't have to cast the most attractively young looking people

I'd have to imagine an older actor with more experience is better capable of selling the character under all the rubber too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Doug Jones has been doing prosthetics in movies/TV since the 90s though.

Javier Botet's only 43, and he's been doing it for about 15 years.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'd have to imagine an older actor with more experience is better capable of selling the character under all the rubber too.

It's not always the case, e.g. Mandalorian but Odo played with inches of rubber on his face and drat he was good at it. Miss Rene greatly :(

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I was going to ask if Bill Irwin had ever done Star Trek, only really knowing him from seeing him dance his rear end off in Legion, but goddamn he was SoKal lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm no fancy big city screenwriter but I really feel like Discovery should stop having people say things and then immediately have the opposite thing happen.

Why even leave the line of Tilly threatening to blow up the ship in the script if you're going to have her just immediately not do that for no reason.

Tilly may have been willing to blow the ship, but she wasn't actually able to do it because the Sphere Data won't let the ship be destroyed that way. Remember?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

He was a forehead alien, I'm talking about full face prosthetic dudes like Odo and Gul Dukat.

Alaimo was 51 when DS9 started, Andrew Robinson 51, René Auberjonois 53. Casey Biggs was 41 when he started playing Damar. If the Ferengi count as full face aliens, Armin Shimerman was 44, Max Grodénchik 41, and Aron Eisenberg 24, so it's not like any of them were ancient.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Combs 40-50 for his roles, half and full?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Tilly may have been willing to blow the ship, but she wasn't actually able to do it because the Sphere Data won't let the ship be destroyed that way. Remember?

No because that's a plot point that hasn't been mentioned since a whole season ago.

e: like, the sphere data won't let someone use the computer to self-destruct the ship, but it will let itself get deleted by the Emerald Chain unless it goes to hide in the bots? Is it in control of the computer or not? The writers absolutely forgot the ship can't self-destruct.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 5, 2021