Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of Arx Fatalis:
At some point you'll have to chase and kill a guy for a plot item. That rear end in a top hat can traverse between levels, so if you don't catch him right away, be sure to check the other levels too.

Also, can you still stack a ridiculous number of haste spells and splat yourself against a wall from excessive speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As far as I remember it, Arx Fatalis lets you dump stuff anywhere and it will stay where you put it. It's like an Ultima game that way. There are plenty of clutter objects you can pick up that are already lying around all over the place and never go away.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

As far as I remember it, Arx Fatalis lets you dump stuff anywhere and it will stay where you put it. It's like an Ultima game that way. There are plenty of clutter objects you can pick up that are already lying around all over the place and never go away.

It’s this. Speaking of which you need to be careful where you dump stuff as things that initially seem useless you might end up needing later. Several hours of my first playthrough were spent retreading every level looking for an “Akbaa stone” I dropped. Early on it seemed like junk but ended up being plot-critical.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Going mage is the best. Probably not a bad idea to look up where to get runes. Some only appear in one place or are held by merchants. By the time you get the runes for Fireball you should be golden but don't be afraid to experiment with other spells.

Learn how to precast spells as well so you are not caught out in combat trying to get Amm-Yok-Taar right.

Everytime Arx comes up people recommend not pumping Ethereal Link. I always get it for the mana regen. Am I being wrong here? I've never felt like it limits me and I don't have a reliance on mana potions.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

Everytime Arx comes up people recommend not pumping Ethereal Link. I always get it for the mana regen. Am I being wrong here? I've never felt like it limits me and I don't have a reliance on mana potions.

I think it’s mostly because the utility in Ethereal Link is so low given how starved for skill points you are in general. You’ll probably only get around ~120 points the entire game to split among your 9 skills. Ethereal Link isn’t worthless, but all it really does is speed mana regen, and mana potions are plentiful and easy to find and make. So in most cases points spent there are better saved for skills you’ll get more bang for your buck with.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know it's not an old game, having just released, but I don't trust the other RPG threads. Has anyone played The Dungeon of Neheulbreuk: The Amulet of Chaos and is it worth picking up? All accounts I've seen suggest that it's actually a well-made and challenging dungeon crawler with solid tactical combat, but the horrible flash game art and the promise of wacky French satire fantasy is frankly very off-putting. I can put up with Frayed Knights rear end dialogue if the game is otherwise good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the promise of wacky French satire fantasy is frankly very off-putting
Test yourself for Covid, the lack of taste might be an early symptom :ohdear:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 5, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Test yourself for Covid, the lack of taste might be an early symptom :ohdear:
it is a game released in September 2020 and there's an arrow to the knee joke

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I know it's not an old game, having just released, but I don't trust the other RPG threads. Has anyone played The Dungeon of Neheulbreuk: The Amulet of Chaos and is it worth picking up? All accounts I've seen suggest that it's actually a well-made and challenging dungeon crawler with solid tactical combat, but the horrible flash game art and the promise of wacky French satire fantasy is frankly very off-putting. I can put up with Frayed Knights rear end dialogue if the game is otherwise good.
I've heard bad things about it over in the Steam thread - a lot of bad, tasteless and very 90s humor mostly, as I remember it, but that's about all I know about. The game was largely ignored even there. You could try going back through the New Releases thread a bit, however. I think it was mentioned fairly recently.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it is a game released in September 2020 and there's an arrow to the knee joke

Oh. Oh no.

I was going to rib you as well, but when I think French satire I think Candide, not... that. But now I want a dungeon crawler where the healing class is the Optimist who doesn't actually tend your wounds but does convince you that you're actually okay, as this is the best of all possible worlds.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh. Oh no.

I was going to rib you as well, but when I think French satire I think Candide, not... that. But now I want a dungeon crawler where the healing class is the Optimist who doesn't actually tend your wounds but does convince you that you're actually okay, as this is the best of all possible worlds.
Darkest Dungeon 2 DLC class.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's based off a french podcast so I feel pretty confident in saying it's bad

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That wasn't the funniest part of Candide, just the most famous.

The funniest part is when Pangloss gives Cunégonde what is called a physics lesson.

(That same physics lesson can get you experience points in, yes, Superhero League of Hoboken.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The funniest part of Candide to me is the quote discussing the concept of the professional critic along the lines of "that is to say, there is a pleasure in being displeased." Owned hard hundreds of years ago, YouTube video game journalists

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick question: in Baldur's Gate 2 (the classic, non-EE version, if it matters), is there any way to see the combat log when the protagonist dies? I've been instakilled several times while being protected from the usual kill effects like death spells, imprisonment and such. It'd be great to see what exactly is killing me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If there is, then I never managed to find it. The game flips to the "oh noes, you died" cutscene pretty much instantly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pierzak posted:

Quick question: in Baldur's Gate 2 (the classic, non-EE version, if it matters), is there any way to see the combat log when the protagonist dies? I've been instakilled several times while being protected from the usual kill effects like death spells, imprisonment and such. It'd be great to see what exactly is killing me.

What were you fighting?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What were you fighting?
I don't remember, it happened several times. Either way I'd prefer to learn what happened organically from in-game info without looking stuff up, hence the log question.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh. Oh no.

Yeah I should have put more emphasis on "wacky" as in "mid 2000s sprite comic" wacky. Think I'll pass

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GorfZaplen posted:

It's based off a french podcast so I feel pretty confident in saying it's bad
It's not actually a very good game and there's basically no point if you're not a fan of the original podcast.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The first time I saw that someone had made a game about some random Youtube "influencer" type person that I had never heard of before was the day I realized I was starting to get old. I guess games about podcasts or whatever will only become more common in the future.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, Naheulbeuk will turn 20 this year and had been successfully spun off into novels and comics (and an animated series currently in dev hell). It's a long-running transmedia property albeit a small time, france-only one, so it's something more established than some random youtuber thing. It's just that it's a low budget crowdfunded game that's relying on having the same jokes as the podcast for the same reason, say, obduction was trying to have as any Myst-like things as it could, and also the basic premise is "laugh at these bad adventurers acting like they're in a kinda bad game instead of like normal people" and it 's nowhere as meta when the product actually is a kinda bad game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that wasn't a putdown or anything, just me kind of realizing out loud that podcasts are basically an entire new medium of popular culture that pretty much passed me by entirely.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I feel like there's been a bunch of "funny" dungeon crawlers come out in the last few years but I've never paid much attention because they always have premade characters. I'm always bored by the pencil thin parody characters before the trailer is even over, but also too much of my fun in CRPGs is rolling characters.

Fools all of them when Wizardry 8 is one of the funnier CRPGs and you create your own party. Steal that concept someone please!

Also I know I'm officially way out of the zeitgeist when I can't imagine ever watching someone play a video game over the internet. I know streamers and such are a Big Deal but it's just so boring to me :shrug:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that wasn't a putdown or anything, just me kind of realizing out loud that podcasts are basically an entire new medium of popular culture that pretty much passed me by entirely.

They're just radio shows you get off the internet. It's not that hard to understand or new really. Hell some of them just get radio airtime anyway

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lol, no, I do understand that. I'm not quite that out of touch yet.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Heck, Naheulbeuk isn't even a podcast, it started years before that name was coined and the associated push-audio-to-device method established so it is just described as an audio series. To the early days Naheulbeuk listeners podcasts are a young people thing! The french term was MP3 saga (because that was back when MP3 was becoming a big thing in audio sharing).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So it is basically the missing link megastar D&D drama between Record of Lodoss War and Critical Role, is what you are saying. That is pretty interesting to know at least, even if the game looks inscrutably off to non-fans (I would still probably play it though if I did not have 5,830,237 games in my backlog)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chev posted:

Heck, Naheulbeuk isn't even a podcast, it started years before that name was coined and the associated push-audio-to-device method established so it is just described as an audio series. To the early days Naheulbeuk listeners podcasts are a young people thing! The french term was MP3 saga (because that was back when MP3 was becoming a big thing in audio sharing).

MP3 saga is a way cooler name, I like that a lot

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have:
Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall
Al-Quadim: The Genie's Curse
World of Aden: Thunderscape

sitting in my backlog and would welcome "before I play" type stuff about them. Stuff the manual misses, useful and easily missable things, warnings of "skills XYZ are bugged, don't waste points on them" and general advice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pierzak posted:

I have:
Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall
Al-Quadim: The Genie's Curse
World of Aden: Thunderscape

sitting in my backlog and would welcome "before I play" type stuff about them. Stuff the manual misses, useful and easily missable things, warnings of "skills XYZ are bugged, don't waste points on them" and general advice.

I haven't played any of those but am most curious about Al-Qadim so tell us about it whenever you play it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Skwirl posted:

I haven't played any of those but am most curious about Al-Qadim so tell us about it whenever you play it.
It's alright. Basically an Arabian-themed DOS version of Zelda. It's serviceable but not amazing or anything.

Entomorph was too cryptic for me to figure out when I was younger and when trying it later, the higher resolution monitors kept making the playfield smaller to the point of barely being able to see anything. It has the weird feeling of Windows 3.1 RPG shareware.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Entomorph is a weird and wildly original game that I played mostly by complete accident when I was maybe eight years old or so. It's worth giving it a shot just to see some of the really unique things it did for a game of that era. I'm still halfway convinced that there' an entire alternate ending that you can get if you don't use any of the bug transformation/power up items you get after boss fights.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

So it is basically the missing link megastar D&D drama between Record of Lodoss War and Critical Role, is what you are saying. That is pretty interesting to know at least, even if the game looks inscrutably off to non-fans (I would still probably play it though if I did not have 5,830,237 games in my backlog)

Speaking of which, I'm currently playing through Record of Lodoss War (the first one), an RPG from I think 1991(?) for PC98. It's actually a surprisingly good RPG that feels like a weird cross between Ultima, Wizardry and Might & Magic. You've got your standard party of 6 characters you roll up, or you can opt to go with the default characters, and it's a semi-open world that's more Ultima in that it's top-down for the overworld and first-person for dungeons. Combat has two versions--"Tactical" combat which is very similar to Ultima 3-5 combat, and then "Standard" combat which feels very similar to M&M1 combat. What's really unusual is that in a lot of instances when you get into an encounter you get to choose every fight whether to got Tactical or Standard, though some fights you're forced to do one or the other.

My only real regret is taking the default party rather than rolling my own--I advise against doing this as the default characters kind of suck. Their stats (except for the fighter) are all middling and they give you a Knight, which seems to be a completely worthless class--they fight less well and can equip less stuff than the Warrior, the only perk being that later in the game they can learn Common Magic, very weak magic that every casting class in the game knows. Also the Priest they give you worships the god Falis, which gives you really terrible bonus spells compared to all the other gods in the game.

Dunno if anyone else has played it, but it's worth a go.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's worth giving it a shot just to see some of the really unique things it did for a game of that era.
Speaking of giving weird unique things a shot, let me add one more game to the info request: Perihelion: the Prophecy. Yes, that techno-fantasy Amiga game. I've heard it's not great mechanically, but I love its art style and feel so much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Today I realised that I'd been conflating Record of Lodoss War and Record of Agarest War for years and thought you were all talking about a weird anime sex game

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Today I realised that I'd been conflating Record of Lodoss War and Record of Agarest War for years and thought you were all talking about a weird anime sex game

The boob mouse pad is heavenly.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

Speaking of which, I'm currently playing through Record of Lodoss War (the first one), an RPG from I think 1991(?) for PC98. It's actually a surprisingly good RPG that feels like a weird cross between Ultima, Wizardry and Might & Magic. You've got your standard party of 6 characters you roll up, or you can opt to go with the default characters, and it's a semi-open world that's more Ultima in that it's top-down for the overworld and first-person for dungeons. Combat has two versions--"Tactical" combat which is very similar to Ultima 3-5 combat, and then "Standard" combat which feels very similar to M&M1 combat. What's really unusual is that in a lot of instances when you get into an encounter you get to choose every fight whether to got Tactical or Standard, though some fights you're forced to do one or the other.

My only real regret is taking the default party rather than rolling my own--I advise against doing this as the default characters kind of suck. Their stats (except for the fighter) are all middling and they give you a Knight, which seems to be a completely worthless class--they fight less well and can equip less stuff than the Warrior, the only perk being that later in the game they can learn Common Magic, very weak magic that every casting class in the game knows. Also the Priest they give you worships the god Falis, which gives you really terrible bonus spells compared to all the other gods in the game.

Dunno if anyone else has played it, but it's worth a go.

I am curious about this game, Genpei, as it looks remarkable given its age. Are you playing it on original hardware or emulation, and is it available in other languages besides Japanese?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd not heard of Agarest War so went to wiki and I've spent the past couple minutes trying to figure out what's going on in the left side of the cover art. (The small size made it look like a couple of floating boobs, but it turned out to be a 3/4 view of a contorted lady not wearing any pants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Critical Role,

How big is Critical Role compared to Adventure Zone? I only know the latter.