Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jel Shaker posted:

when you think about it, are we not all time travellers...?

:350:

Well lockdown means we're no longer allowed to travel anywhere in space so at least there's always that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

They need to just bite the bullet and adopt the NZ model where no one gets in and those that have to get in are forced to isolate (rather than just asked to).

They won't do it but until they do we'll just continually import and export new varients until we're all dead.

Variants aren't automatically an issue. The real problem is if the new variant is vaccine dodging. Which they seem very blase about considering the vaccine is all they've got beyond incredible damage to society.

Like they've got their out, their solution which doesn't involve actually challenging the order... and they are risking it because they're such fuckups.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jel Shaker posted:

I'm always stuck in the now, no fair.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Variants aren't automatically an issue. The real problem is if the new variant is vaccine dodging. Which they seem very blase about considering the vaccine is all they've got beyond incredible damage to society.

Like they've got their out, their solution which doesn't involve actually challenging the order... and they are risking it because they're such fuckups.

its fine its very unlikely that the mutation both restructures the viral spike and remains viable

and we're only rolling that dice >100 billion times per person infected

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

We all can, at 1 second per second.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

Not me, I'm just a kind of meat hyper-cylinder existing in 4D space, which is why eternalism rules

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm just a kind of meat hyper-cylinder existing in 4D space
I see you've read the Brexit deal guidelines on Irish people.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Russian vaccine and I think at least one other uses modified virus rather than mRNA that protects against the spike proteinright? Does that mean that the same mutation would be unlikely to impact both or do the modified virus vaccines actually target in the same way?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The VAT changes are good. It means Amazon, eBay etc will actually have to collect and pay VAT from their international sellers.

It will mean some small vendors whose UK sales are below a few thousand and who sell directly (rather than under a marketplace umbrella) will find it too much headache and won’t ship to the UK. But yeah international trade is complex and sometimes that poo poo happens.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

peanut- posted:

The VAT changes are good. It means Amazon, eBay etc will actually have to collect and pay VAT from their international sellers.

It will mean some small vendors whose UK sales are below a few thousand and who sell directly (rather than under a marketplace umbrella) will find it too much headache and won’t ship to the UK. But yeah international trade is complex and sometimes that poo poo happens.

No they're not. They're just plain lovely unless you consider being an rear end in a top hat to anyone foreign a good thing.

It's a bad copy of the EU version, which is functional and fixes a few important oversights, but even the EU version only works because of the size of the EU.

Having to pay the UK to be allowed to pay the UK is stupid as hell, and the EU solution has a backup plan to solve that problem.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Yeah I read the rules as having two thrusts - putting some sort of responsibility on online vendors rather than letting them continue to be a weird loophole in the globalised/nation state model of capitalism we have but also raising barriers to drive out smaller sellers and so increasing market concentration onto those same online marketplaces. One bad thing and a 'it depends' thing which isn't good with either the UK or EU state models but pretty much an inevitable step which will be taken.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

peanut- posted:

If you genuinely believe this means Amazon etc will pay all the taxes they owe, to the point where it's worth killing the businesses of thousands of smaller businesses, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The really stupid thing in which the UK differs from the EU version is the £1000/p.a. registration fee.

This is for literally every company in the world that wants to sell things to UK customers, even if they only sell to VAT-exempt businesses!

Also "online marketplaces" are basically exempt (in the sense that the marketplace can handle it), so LMBO if you think this will do anything but help Amazon and the like, since that's the only way a small vendor can now sell their goods without a bunch of extra costs.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 5, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

This is absolute shite.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Praise be to the international conglomerates.

Don't worry about the small stores. They wont mind losing the business.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If you genuinely believe this means Amazon etc will pay all the taxes they owe, to the point where it's worth killing the businesses of thousands of smaller businesses, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Ok but unless you've got lots of bridges I think you're going to have to sell it to me on Amazon.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

This is absolute shite.

Why? Genuinely curious as iirc I'm sure I've seen you post about working in imports etc before.

The basic concept of this that an overseas seller should be subject to the same tax burden in the UK as a UK seller seems surprisingly controversial to the UKMT.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

Why? Genuinely curious as iirc I'm sure I've seen you post about working in imports etc before.

The basic concept of this that an overseas seller should be subject to the same tax burden in the UK as a UK seller seems surprisingly controversial to the UKMT.

why should an overseas seller have to pay tax in the UK as well as in their country of origin?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

It's a significant extra cost for non-UK businesses - nevermind as some of the companies mentioned that if every country in the world did this (rather than dealing with it via customs as is normal) then that would be a massive administrative burden to deal with it. And if every country charged £1000 p.a., well, that's £200k p.a. per company.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Yeah I don't get the dislike of it either but it hurts my head and I'm sure I don't understand something about it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

why should an overseas seller have to pay tax in the UK as well as in their country of origin?

It's VAT so the overseas business is not paying any tax. They're collecting it from the UK customer and remitting it to HMRC.

Private Speech posted:

It's a significant extra cost for non-UK businesses - nevermind as some of the companies mentioned that if every country in the world did this (rather than dealing with it via customs as is normal) then that would be a massive administrative burden to deal with it. And if every country charged £1000 p.a., well, that's £200k p.a. per company.

Where are you getting the £1,000 a year from? You don't have to pay HMRC to register for VAT.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Why should UK businesses get undercut 20% by others who don't need to pay VAT?

Or do they?! I don't get it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think it's just a bit rich that after a decade of 'we can't tax foreign businesses because they'll pick up and leave' suddenly when we desperately need foreign trade we're imposing a tax that will cripple smaller overseas businesses (or stop them from trading with us entirely) but be negligible to the giant bastards.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

peanut- posted:

Where are you getting the £1,000 a year from? You don't have to pay HMRC to register for VAT.

I think that's the quote shatner got from his accountant to do the paperwork for him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

It's VAT so the overseas business is not paying any tax. They're collecting it from the UK customer and remitting it to HMRC.

but this still means that two lots of sales tax are generated on the same sale, why should the UK benefit from a sale that takes place in another country?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

Yeah I don't get the dislike of it either but it hurts my head and I'm sure I don't understand something about it

I just assume because the tories did it it's bad for everyone but the worst of the worst.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Why should a UK business get undercut by 20%?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

UK businesses pay VAT, overseas businesses pay their local sales tax(es) so no-one is automatically undercutting anyone

the problem is that now the UK wants to get their slice of sales which have nothing to do with the UK except for the customer address on the box

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

but this still means that two lots of sales tax are generated on the same sale, why should the UK benefit from a sale that takes place in another country?

Nah. If you export a goods from the UK you don't pay vat on it. Should be the same for everyone else, although if the vat rates are different I think there may be the difference to pay. Which is why the EU has standardized vat. I think.

You edited. The tax is due on the spending of the UK money.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

I just assume because the tories did it it's bad for everyone but the worst of the worst.

I assume it is poo poo too but for the life of me I can't understand why

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Because the long and short of it is that the big companies won't see any difference. Take Amazon for example, because of how they work and how they move goods around the world a sale made from a German company to a British person could be fulfilled from a warehouse in Kent, and tax, (this is where im a little out of touch with how they work so please do correct me if anyone knows for sure) is due from where the goods are at point of sale rather than where they originated from. This gives you weird situations where a person in Poland can buy a keyboard from a company in Spain but the goods are sent from a French warehouse so the Spanish company pays French VAT.

What this means for us is that the majority of foreign Amazon orders in the UK are intra warehouse. Goods are moved between Germany/UK/Ireland all the time and then 'despatched' for the final leg.

So if this is still how they still work then this new rule will have absolutely no effect on the tax Amazon pays, since it won't change.

The flip side of this is now if I want to buy something from a non global superpower and they 'despatch' from Germany, then that website has to pay a poo poo load of money in admin for me to do that. And if they only do 10-20 sales to the UK per year its just not worth it. Which means I'm poo poo out of luck if this is a unique item, or more likely I just end up funneling more money to Amazon for an alternative/exactly the same product for them to not pay UK tax on anyway.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

They don't. HMRC, if they're doing their job, should be billing the customer the charge via their courier, possibly with an admin fee.

They've decided, based on an EU precedent, that it'd be better to make overseas companies do that instead, so now companies are just going to not sell into the UK.

In either case, neither the UK nor overseas company 'gets' that extra 20%.

None of this takes away from VAT being a lovely regressive tax though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Julio Cruz posted:

I believe that exports don't normally incur VAT type taxes on export.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In other made-up, looney left project fear news

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/05/mother-fears-son-could-die-as-brexit-stops-medical-cannabis-medicine-supply

quote:

The mother of a nine-year-old boy with a rare and severe form of epilepsy has told how she fears her son could die after the government announced his supply of a life-changing cannabis medicine from the Netherlands would stop because of Brexit.

Hannah Deacon was given just two weeks notice by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) that due to the end of the transition period “prescriptions issued in the UK can no longer be lawfully dispensed in an EU member state”.

Her campaign to save her son Alfie Dingley’s life in 2017 led to a change in the law enabling the medicine which has seen him seizure free after years of 150 seizures a week, to be prescribed in the UK.

Deacon told the Guardian she is in despair about her child’s future if he cannot get the Bedrolite oil he now takes three times a day.

“They [the DHSC] said they understand our concern but they can’t do anything. Well let me tell them, it is not concerning, it is terrifying.”

She says she wasn’t even told directly by the DHSC that she would no longer get the drug, something she describes as “galling”.

Instead the letter went to pharmacy suppliers around the country who were told to advise on “alternative” prescriptions which would be “clinically appropriate to switch patients on to”.

“I am facing the fact that my son might go into refractory epileptic seizures again which can kill people. That’s how dangerous this is. So to say ‘oh you can swap it for another product, sorry we can’t help’ it is grossly unacceptable. It’s very very dangerous and I’m really frightened about what is going to happen,” she said.

“The letter was sent on the 17 December, so we had no time. We’re very lucky that we were able to secure a couple of months worth of medicine. But that is not long. What makes me really angry is the lack of time we have, the lack of empathy, of care. My son is on a medicine that works for him, why would they take that away?,” she said.

also

quote:

In desperation Deacon wrote to Boris Johnson begging him to intervene on 29 December.

“I just got an automatic response to say that he doesn’t reply to people that aren’t his constituents, which I find shocking because he is the prime minister,” said Deacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k29corrrL0

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Lmao didn’t Keith “address the nation” earlier? I haven’t seen anything about it here or on Twitter.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

VAT is the shittiest most regressive tax, agreed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh wow, the Crit Role thing isn't just 'some' countries:

So... Basically just Ireland left? And Spain apparently.

Open an office in northern Ireland and just drive over the border to an Irish post office for the post run to RoW.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh wow, the Crit Role thing isn't just 'some' countries:

So... Basically just Ireland left? And Spain apparently.

If I had to guess, it relies on shenanigan's with being able to ship to NI, and then ship from there to ROI.
And I guess from UK to Gibralter and onwards to Spain from there?
I don't know how company shipping works.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Lmao didn’t Keith “address the nation” earlier? I haven’t seen anything about it here or on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55552872

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Forgive me its not where the goods are despatched from on the final leg for Amazon that determines which country you pay VAT on, its from which version of its site. So to use my example above, the Polish man buys a Spanish keyboard from Amazon.fr and thats why the VAT is payable in France, not Poland or Spain.