Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

I play in this same 3 man group and we've never taken fire while crossing the actual concrete bridge. Could be blind luck, but there's so much cover we'd have to run into players actually on the bridge to get into a fight. Getting to the real bridge requires a little more time near the trains though, where you can definitely get in a fight, but at least that's at ranges you can see/hear enemies and engage up close where you can still get lucky vs a heavily geared guy. So, as a new player, concrete bridge seems like the way to go for me

I think this wipe the bridge is much safer than it used to be due to the delayed scav spawns.

It used to be that trying to cross the bridge put you in a fight with 2-3 scavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Goko, the other guy in that 3 man, and I definitely died crossing north Ford once, because another PMC spawned along the road north of the intersection of corner shop and he apparently just went straight to the eastern slope and was already posted up there waiting for us. We may just have to bang our collective heads against these kind of situations until we internalize them.

And yeah, I'm increasingly of the opinion that concrete bridge gives you the most chances of surviving any long distance pot shots, even if you do have to run north / south along the embankment to get to it. Unlike the fords you might even loot something too.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

FileNotFound posted:

I think this wipe the bridge is much safer than it used to be due to the delayed scav spawns.

It used to be that trying to cross the bridge put you in a fight with 2-3 scavs.

boy i still wish this were still the case so i could actually get my fuckin 15 customs scav kill quest done

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

boy i still wish this were still the case so i could actually get my fuckin 15 customs scav kill quest done

Yup - absolutely hate the current AI scav volume. I'm to the point of assuming any scav I see is a player rather than AI. Which also means that if I'm playing scav, I just blast other scavs as soon as I can position myself to ensure a victory.

Previously I'd leave them running around making noise and being an early warning system, but this wipe after getting shot in the back by other scavs that I thought were AI - I stopped doing that and shoot first.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 5, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Goko, the other guy in that 3 man, and I definitely died crossing north Ford once, because another PMC spawned along the road north of the intersection of corner shop and he apparently just went straight to the eastern slope and was already posted up there waiting for us. We may just have to bang our collective heads against these kind of situations until we internalize them.

And yeah, I'm increasingly of the opinion that concrete bridge gives you the most chances of surviving any long distance pot shots, even if you do have to run north / south along the embankment to get to it. Unlike the fords you might even loot something too.

yeah, western customs spawns are a bit of a poo poo-show and definitely one of the things you need to learn

also, while I think the actual bridge probably is safer than the southern routes atm, there are a pair of caches with at least some cover/concealment immediately on the eastern bank of the river, so immediate access to loot isn't a reason to favor it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One is that gun crate by the tank, which I do enjoy opening.

I love this game but I wish I hadn't learned it didn't use to have more scavs, makes me what to out it down for six months and check in later.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Dorms is south which makes Big Red the eastern side of the map, not the west.

Yes all the commonly used maps are wrong all these years and it’s been an annoying transition.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It feels both infuriatingly obtuse and also exactly in line with what I like about this game, so I should just thank you and begin referring to it correctly. So factory far corners is north west, ok.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

lmao that would mean the sun rises in the west and sets in the east because that's how I oriented myself to the map early on

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Introduction? :v:

I mean its only 5 scavs, but it does gate prapor entirely!

I actually had "and Debut" in there but I took it out because it's only 5. Although this wipe the scav density on Customs seems low as hell which does make even that an annoyance. But it's not nearly as bad as trying to kill 15-25 like the later quests.

EDIT: Also I always forget that Polikhim Hobo gates a quest but depending on how long you're stuck on Skier's flash drive poo poo you may easily hit the 25 kills before it matters.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pharmaskittle posted:

lmao that would mean the sun rises in the west and sets in the east because that's how I oriented myself to the map early on

who is eastern europe now fool!!!!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The scav density is actually more than it was as far as I can tell, but they spawn way later. Shooting a fellow scav is practically a death sentence at this point (especially in interchange/reserve)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Dorms is south which makes Big Red the eastern side of the map, not the west.

Yes all the commonly used maps are wrong all these years and it’s been an annoying transition.

Clock knows this obviously, but its also why the map linked in the OP has a compass Rose on it indicating the proper headings.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Reserve was my absolute slam pick for good loot on a scav, learning the map was confusing until you learn the few good spots. If you're an absolute coward like me you can just wait for everyone to shoot it out and hope raider gear is still there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Customs needs a small area south of big red/ east of the river with the sometimes boat exit.

Reserve is the best map.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If you spawn by the river right on the wall you can run to the crack house and 90% of the time nobody will see you. I usually go to hoover all the intel folders up my butt from that spawn and then hide and listen, also to steal the Unknown Key because gently caress you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

apparently the game heard my bitching about scav kill quests, because I got 9 scav kills standing outside scav bunker just now. they literally just kept running up for a solid 10 minutes as I was trying to leave.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Finally saw some cultists earlier today, they attacked me at the fortress on customs. I got poisoned, managed to kill one and loot him before scurrying off and extracting thanks to RUAF being open, otherwise probably wouldn't have made it. They're fast and sneaky, I don't even know how many there were, I only saw two. Highlight of the encounter was me muttering "poo poo" under my breath when I realized what I was dealing with, while my schoolteacher wife was doing a zoom class with a bunch of 8th graders and an open mic a few feet away. :v: Thankfully she was talking when I said it and none of them noticed.

The wiki is wrong about the knives, the one I killed was not a priest but he had a poisoned knife.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

also to steal the Unknown Key because gently caress you.

gently caress. You.

Gently.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the warehouse side custom spawns are very punishing and prob need tweaking. its one of the only spots id say you want to learn spawns for early on, if you spawn on the road you have to just leave the area immediately or fight another pmc.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Below that warehouse behind where you would use the factory key twice, the jump over spot. That building is enterable now and there are some REAL good loots below.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

MaxPowers posted:

Below that warehouse behind where you would use the factory key twice, the jump over spot. That building is enterable now and there are some REAL good loots below.

That's also where you turn on the power for an exit: If you have the factory key, hit the switch in the room under the stairs and you can open the gate in the basement of the huge building in the new area with the key and escape

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
A friend got me playing this a few days ago, and oboy am I terrible. Just trying to find my way around maps when I'm solo is hard enough, let alone not getting murdered.
I've been trying to do this Woods quest to find the trader guys documents, and I've only managed to get there and pick them up twice, but murdered trying to get out.
Still fun, i just need to not be bad I guess.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Squee posted:

A friend got me playing this a few days ago, and oboy am I terrible. Just trying to find my way around maps when I'm solo is hard enough, let alone not getting murdered.
I've been trying to do this Woods quest to find the trader guys documents, and I've only managed to get there and pick them up twice, but murdered trying to get out.
Still fun, i just need to not be bad I guess.

don't feel bad - the game has a cliff-esque learning curve, is extremely knowledge based, and takes a while to open up

it'll all come in time though, and it's great when it does

you'll still die a lot ;)

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Come play with goons. Being sherpa’d around by people who know the game, help you know what to do/not do, and can make your quests easier has been great for me as a first time player. Following a few of them on raids has really helped my confidence in doing solo and scav runs. If you’re new, just let the group know, stay close, don’t TK, and have fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been playing with 2 IRL friends but yeah I'm going to try to group up in the goon discord this weekend, maybe Friday Saturday night.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been playing with 2 IRL friends but yeah I'm going to try to group up in the goon discord this weekend, maybe Friday Saturday night.

Are these friends new?

I started Tarkov with fellow newbie friends, but the big game changer for us was adding someone with some 2000 hours in Tarkov to the team who then promptly showed us everything we did wrong - and by that I mean told us that we were doing everything wrong - because we were - and as a result our success rate and enjoyment of the game went up tremendously.

Us as a bunch of noobs playing together was just us making the same mistakes over and over again, getting lost in maps, failing to take shortcuts, walking right over stashes and so on.

Having someone on your team who when hearing a gunshot not only knows where on the map that gunshot came from but says "That's a mosin at gas station" - well uhh - it changes things.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah exactly we're all new; I'll see if I can get them to join up but I at least want to get get some time in with people who know what's up.

Edit: I should say that I have a fundamental tension in this game in that I both want to discover the mechanics myself but I also want to get good; so I'm more looking for help in raids and want to totally gently caress up my stash and hideout on my own.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 6, 2021

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah exactly we're all new; I'll see if I can get them to join up but I at least want to get get some time in with people who know what's up.

Edit: I should say that I have a fundamental tension in this game in that I both want to discover the mechanics myself but I also want to get good; so I'm more looking for help in raids and want to totally gently caress up my stash and hideout on my own.

There is a ton of fun stuff to figure out in Tarkov on your own.

There is also not so fun stuff like doing the factory documents quest where if you die you have to go back to customs to get the documents. For that - I absolutely suggest a 5 man goon group to stack factory and make what is a normally a nightmare entirely trivial.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
loving Willie Wonka Nikita just said on a live stream that there's been a secret stash on Shoreline, no one has found it yet, and the first person to find it gets something special.

Fun.. in Tarkov?

(Assuming they archive the stream as usual it was around the 30min mark according to the live timer at the bottom)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ChesterJT posted:

loving Willie Wonka Nikita just said on a live stream that there's been a secret stash on Shoreline, no one has found it yet, and the first person to find it gets something special.

Fun.. in Tarkov?

(Assuming they archive the stream as usual it was around the 30min mark according to the live timer at the bottom)

Time to get the custom scav kills done

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ugh so the servers are down again and I just tried to extract as scav with an ophthalmoscope, veritas, a nice gun and other sweet loot, it's all gone right?

edit: Yep. Would be great if they got some decent servers at some point.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 6, 2021

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Yeah I joined the discord, I just don't want to get someone killed due to me being bad.
My current biggest problem is the clusterfuck that is my inventory, good lord.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just an FYI, it's still possible to do the 10 PMCs on Shoreline for Punisher 4 with just the balaclava. No need for the scav vest.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wasnt it broken before as well but the other way around lol

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Last wipe it was balaclava only.

While we are on the subject, the M1 armored rig still doesn’t count as armor for Jaeger’s task Unprotected But Dangerous.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Just an FYI, it's still possible to do the 10 PMCs on Shoreline for Punisher 4 with just the balaclava. No need for the scav vest.

The requirement for punisher 4 is any type of balaclava (momex, ghost, CF, or regular) and a piece of gear in your tactical rig slot.

If you are just wearing a balaclava and no rig, you dont get credit :science:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Fun.. in Tarkov?

This is probably a troll. Cheaters would have found it by now. Unless it's brand new and cheaters aren't really doing Shoreline at the moment. Or it's meant to catch cheaters, so coming forward would result in a ban. Basically everything surrounding it makes it seem like it's not something you should bother looking for.

Or, its not in the ground, but on a ceiling or in a tree somewhere. Shoreline also has that chair on the ceiling, iirc. If it is real, my guess it's not in the ground, or its in the minefield somewhere and you need to walk a certain path to reach it, or it requires jumping to it. I can't seem to get a match right now and just started playing again, so i'll go take a peek while I adjust settings.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Squee posted:

Yeah I joined the discord, I just don't want to get someone killed due to me being bad.

Oh, don't worry, we're all getting ourselves killed due to being bad constantly.

Squee posted:

My current biggest problem is the clusterfuck that is my inventory, good lord.

This will get better...eventually. But also take a look at whatever you have kicking around on the wiki and make sure you're not better off just selling them to a vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Wtf, just tried to flea my Rye croutons which after looking at the wiki seem pointless to keep and there were zero people selling them so I thought gently caress it and put them up for 100k and they instantly sold :|. So yea if you find Rye croutons just put them up on the market for stupid money and see what happens I guess?

edit: I'm assuming I'm not missing something and they aren't super important for some reason? I know you can use them as part of a recipe to craft Tushonka but still, 100k?

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 7, 2021