Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
The one in my city (inside a mall) is doing curbside pickup so I may give them a jangle

Or I’ll just buy it off BL honestly since there isn’t that much I actually want right now besides that and I’ll be pushing myself to spend that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Back in December the Leicester Square store had a ton of the mini scale Gingerbread House GWP from 2019, so they definitely hang around and come back.

Now the UK is in lockdown till Feb, so no shops for a while.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Jager posted:

BuildaMOC trip report:
-Time: It took exactly two months from order date to the package arriving. Based on tracking info almost half of the time was BuildaMOC probably sourcing parts and the other half was spent shipping from Spain to the east coast of the US. Compared to European-seller Bricklink orders I have done in the past, this is pretty slow. I am not a fan of receiving an email from BuildaMOC saying my "package is on the way" but the package wasn't actually handed over to the shipper until almost a month later. This is on par with some BL sellers so it isn't that big of a deal. The instructions were emailed to me within a day of placing the order.
-Financial cost: I think the prices on BuildaMOC are very reasonable compared to sourcing parts yourself via BL. Part of this is the wide variety of costs and fees from different BL sellers (shipping costs add up quickly), part of this is my fault because when making an order on BL I tend to browse a store I am ordering from for extra parts.
-My time cost: This is the biggest advantage of BuildaMOC. While it sometimes can be fun to browse BL, I absolutely hate how much time I have to spend dealing with every seller having different terms, watching out for hidden fees, double checking every part's cost to make sure a seller hasn't set some common part at a crazy high price, and dealing with minimum cost per lot amounts.
-Other note: Some of the internal pieces that cannot be seen on the finished kit are a different color than displayed in the instructions. I assume this is due to the internal pieces being cheaper in a different color at the time of order than when the instructions were made. All the parts were like new condition.

Bottom line is my experience with BuildaMOC was overall postive and I will probably order from them again. As far as the kit goes, it was an incredibly fun build. For those of you in this thread that haven't joined one of Carb's streams, you are seriously missing out on official LEGO designer level quality in techniques and design.

I got mine exactly the same day as you, and after slightly longer from my order date. Overall I agree with your review, but out of two kits I got they missed two 2x2 wedge plates which was annoying- but the kit I was giving as a gift had no missing parts thankfully.

Also all my parts were the same color as in the instructions so who knows!

Anyway I could've done it myself a lot faster, but not cheaper, and I would've had to gently caress with BL wishlists which ugh.

Basically I think if you're willing to wait the loooong shipping time it's a good option to save a little cash and hassle.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 5, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

Going to a mall right now is pretty lol. When I do my walks in a nearby park just to see something not the walls of my house half the people I pass aren't masked up. Risking that in a mall? Oh hell no.

I forgot that I live in an area that has generally been following mask and social distancing rules. Usually the worst I see when grocery shopping is like one person with a mask slipped under the nose while indoors.

Luckily the mall wasn’t too busy, and I did not see anyone in the mall without a mask. I figured Monday at noon would be a quieter day, and I wasn’t wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just because people aren't masked up in a park doesn't mean a mall is going to be like that. I'd say 60% of people outside when I go for a walk at the park aren't masked (tbh I couldn't care less they are outside and like not even near each other) but I have seen exactly one person not wearing a mask in the last 5 or so months while out shopping. It's mandated nearly everywhere.

Not that there anyone really needs to be going to the mall right now to buy Legos. I wouldn't fault anyone for not risking it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
You jerks got me to actually use the "check store stock" on lego's site, and now I know a bunch of items that they've been out of for months are sitting right in the store near me that I can't ever have because they allow in-store pickup but not curbside. Although we have started receiving christmas cards that friends and family sent in early December so maybe the items I bought from an in-state bricklink seller mid-December will actually show up this month.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That lighthouse would be a day one for me. Love the nautical stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego could definitely do a UCS Lighthouse set for sure. They’ve done so many good ones over the years, but one with the level of detail like the Fishing Store would be amazing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How long since they did a non-Friends hospital? I mean, that should have been the modular this year but

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

How long since they did a non-Friends hospital? I mean, that should have been the modular this year but

2018 apparently.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They could make it a... plastic surgeon.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Scipiotik posted:

Is there being no lego vikings theme a joke? https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Vikings

That is a good garbage truck, but my Toddler is obsessed with those robot garbage trucks so if I could get one he'd go nuts. Also a quick search says it's hard to find now and very expensive.

I should say the viking sets are nice, I just don't think I'd get them.

Nope—I stand corrected! Genuinely did not know that. Though, don’t think adult me would buy any of those sets. Kid me absolutely, but adult me has little interest.

Playing through Assassins Creed Valhalla right now, and while it’s not quite God of War, it did get me lost down the Wikipedia rabbit hole reading about the English chapter of Norse history. 12/10 would love a finely detailed Longship or Longhouse lego model.

Might try to MOC my own or something once I have less stuff on my plate. Sadly I just checked bricklink to see about picking up a bunch of the CMF Viking figures, but drat, they’ve already shot up to 6$ a pop even though they’re super recent :(

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't know how long, but previous Lego Friends hospital (not the current one) was awesome:

They've kind of scaled it down a bit in the last couple of years, but for a while there the best Lego City sets were actually in the Friends line where you got a lot more variety than typical Police/Fire Rescue/Town Square sets that repeat every couple of years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lego towns are like my SimCities

Police station and fire department on every block

Can we maybe get a house

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The Bloop posted:

Lego towns are like my SimCities

Police station and fire department on every block

Can we maybe get a house

Wait a minute.

Are you... are you expressing yourself in the form of a haiku poem right now?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Official LEGO Frasier Apartment

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Official LEGO Frasier Apartment

I'd rather have the bar from Cheers, but I'd buy that one too, ha

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

esperantinc posted:

I'd rather have the bar from Cheers, but I'd buy that one too, ha

But does it get Coach or Woody? :colbert:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nope—I stand corrected! Genuinely did not know that. Though, don’t think adult me would buy any of those sets. Kid me absolutely, but adult me has little interest.

Playing through Assassins Creed Valhalla right now, and while it’s not quite God of War, it did get me lost down the Wikipedia rabbit hole reading about the English chapter of Norse history. 12/10 would love a finely detailed Longship or Longhouse lego model.

Might try to MOC my own or something once I have less stuff on my plate. Sadly I just checked bricklink to see about picking up a bunch of the CMF Viking figures, but drat, they’ve already shot up to 6$ a pop even though they’re super recent :(

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in trading a fig for a little viking.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

xzzy posted:

But does it get Coach or Woody? :colbert:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How the hell did that TX Master games thing get 10,000 votes? Am I missing something about it?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, can I ask a favour of anyone who has a set featuring this new part:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=68013#T=C

I know it's in the big ecto-1 for example.

Basically I want to know if there's any clutch at all in that half circle hole. Ie, can a single round stud stick in them and stay there without falling out. Game changer for me if so. TIA

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hi thread, can I ask a favour of anyone who has a set featuring this new part:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=68013#T=C

I know it's in the big ecto-1 for example.

Basically I want to know if there's any clutch at all in that half circle hole. Ie, can a single round stud stick in them and stay there without falling out. Game changer for me if so. TIA

Just checked, a stud rotates freely in the hole, no clutch at all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CommanderApaul posted:

Just checked, a stud rotates freely in the hole, no clutch at all.

Ah well, good to know now though before ordering parts. Thanks!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Literally A Person posted:

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in trading a fig for a little viking.

Appreciate the offer! Fortunately I do have one of the Viking CMFs, I was just looking to buy a buncha them to flesh out an eventual longship build, but then someone pointed out Mega actually has a really good longship build so I just placed an order for that instead:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/1346935756128804868

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My flowers showed up today and I didn't realize they were 14 inches long, I thought they were much smaller. Now to find a cool design for a lego vase I can eventually build to put them in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Had my order arrive today - surprised how quickly it came. The vintage car is cute, but boy are the door panels fragile.

Also I caved and ordered Barracuda from Amazon after discovering I could use my credit card reward points for amazon purchases.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:toot: Found the Creator 31109 Pirate Ship at Tesco on clearance. £64 is much better than £90, and it's a nice stopgap until I can splurge on PoBB (which this feels like a companion to, anyway).

Sidenote, my housemate ordered the HP books, and got the Vintage Car in his order (which he was going to give to me). It's not all come yet, but now when he looks at his order on the site, the vintage car doesn't show up. Is this usual?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Great find. Tesco always seems to be a good source of randomly cheap Lego in the UK. I'll never forget when I found 75017 in a Cambridge Tesco for £10. Think I combined with with some clubcard vouchers and left feeling like I'd hit the jackpot.

I ordered the Lantern Set and my order is marked as "in the warehouse" it also includes the car which is also marked as "in the warehouse", so I would say unusual. If I try to buy another one on the store now it doesn't add the car, perhaps they ran out?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Great find. Tesco always seems to be a good source of randomly cheap Lego in the UK. I'll never forget when I found 75017 in a Cambridge Tesco for £10. Think I combined with with some clubcard vouchers and left feeling like I'd hit the jackpot.

I ordered the Lantern Set and my order is marked as "in the warehouse" it also includes the car which is also marked as "in the warehouse", so I would say unusual. If I try to buy another one on the store now it doesn't add the car, perhaps they ran out?

I mean, it's on his original order email still so he could make a case if it doesn't arrive. Also, it just left bloody Belgium to get here.

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My flowers showed up today and I didn't realize they were 14 inches long, I thought they were much smaller. Now to find a cool design for a lego vase I can eventually build to put them in.

I just saw these for the first time and they are out of stock everywhere except ebay for 2x MSRP. Hopefully they will be restocked, they are really cool, and my kids already made me a LEGO vase which I have some other fake flowers in and would be perfect for these.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I wonder if the brick and mortar stores that are doing curbside pickup will have NC Gardens on the 14th for VIP or if it’s online only? They get their shipments on Fridays so hopefully they might have an answer for me if I call tomorrow.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They should have it, absent any supply problems.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Outside of the one catalogue page, they’ve still not officially announced it, right?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The_Doctor posted:

Outside of the one catalogue page, they’ve still not officially announced it, right?

Well it's in the catalog that was in my mailbox today, so...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Still no word on the Year of the Ox GWP and it's just a couple days before CNY release.

So is this not going to be a GWP until Feb? And what happens if/when the CNY sets are all sold out? Which is very likely as there isn't anything else to purchase because all the other new stuff sold out immediately.

I mean, I guess one could do the purchase at a retail location on release day.

Man, Lego is a clusterfuck right now. None of their changes are for the better.

Calendars? Released super late.
VIP points? Needlessly convoluted.
New power functions stuff? Worse than what came before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Back side of Ninjago Gardens has leaked.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seems pretty light on the gardens, which is not a complaint AFAIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is that 5500 pieces? Must be the greebliest greeble of all time.