Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ariong posted:

Imagine doing such a bad job tweeting that there's a BBC World News article about your bad tweets.

lol

For the new page

Twenty Honey Bun: Let's Get Sticky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh my god is this entire episode going to be the naming

please say yes

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Blockhouse posted:

please say yes

Yeah maybe get a drink now so you can have a chance to be mid-sip and spit it everywhere later

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
ugh, do I have to stop listening to Friendly Fire?

I haven’t listened to Greatest Gen in two years and don’t want to go back to it. I can’t just turn my back on Ben+Adam. Plus what if they address the Bean Dad controversy in this week’s ep?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just listen to Greatest Gen it's good and lacks one of the hosts constantly emanating an aura of pure smug

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blockhouse posted:

please say yes

If you think that’s awesome, wait until you find out how much of the episode it takes them to find the name they settle on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Just listen to Greatest Gen it's good and lacks one of the hosts constantly emanating an aura of pure smug

there are personal reasons why I don't want to, but maybe I need to work on that and come back to the fold, I'm still subscribed

also there's a thread here full of people who actively listen to Adam Carolla while openly acknowledging what a gross chud he is

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

ugh, do I have to stop listening to Friendly Fire?

I haven’t listened to Greatest Gen in two years and don’t want to go back to it. I can’t just turn my back on Ben+Adam. Plus what if they address the Bean Dad controversy in this week’s ep?

Apparently they have recorded way ahead so doubtful. Keep listening because it brings you joy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Blockhouse posted:

please say yes

it's one hour of deliberation followed by two minutes of insanity and it's incredible

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ok Comboomer posted:

there are personal reasons why I don't want to, but maybe I need to work on that and come back to the fold, I'm still subscribed

also there's a thread here full of people who actively listen to Adam Carolla while openly acknowledging what a gross chud he is

tbf checking in that thread appears to be people talking about how much carolla sucks now

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

I am enjoying laughing at the story of bean dad but BBC should not inflict that nasty picture of a bowl of beans on people like this

The real child abuse is purchasing those beans for your kid to consume.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

tbf checking in that thread appears to be people talking about how much carolla sucks now

Just like the achewood thread

I'm sure if we had a John Roderick thread people would be talking about how much he sucks too

George H.W. oval office posted:

Apparently they have recorded way ahead so doubtful. Keep listening because it brings you joy.

worst case I just get deeper into the WTYP/Trash Future/etc and friends extended universe

I honestly can't stand MaxFun or their vibe anymore, outside of a small handful of their podcasts (I'll occasionally listen to Flophouse and I listened to all of Art of Process. FF is my only weekly Maxfun show these days, for whatever reason). And it was the Liz-laddiest organization/subculture in the world during the Dem primaries, John Roderick in particular. Liz lads and Mayor Pete fans. Major barf.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 5, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Toaster Beef posted:

it's one hour of deliberation followed by two minutes of insanity and it's incredible

OH MY GOD IT'S SO BAD

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah this episode was really good but also insanely close to being unlistenable. Just playing right on that edge the whole time.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The newest episode of Adventuring Academy features Griffin as the guest this week. Adventuring Academy is a DnD video podcast hosted by Brennan Lee Mulligan (DM of The Dadlands one shot) where he interviews DMs about DMing. In addition to the Dadlands thing, Brennan also ran a short campaign of DnD called Tiny Heist for the McElroys around this time last year (also a Dropout exclusive though I believe the first episode is on YouTube), and Griffin has also guested in a live episode of Brennan's DnD show, Dimension 20. So this was a long time coming really!

Adventuring Academy is a Dropout exclusive I believe. Dropout is the streaming service run by the now-defunct College Humor, but Dropout still produces high quality content on a regular basis such as this. There's also a chance this may end up on YouTube eventually but I have no idea how long the delay from Dropout exclusive to YouTube release is.

I haven't listened yet but I'm sure it's good!

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Is drawfee still doing a drop out show? I enjoyed that when I briefly had a dropout account

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Drawfee's been independent for about a year now. I'm not sure if their old content is still on Dropout though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Drawfee just recently uploaded a bunch of their old dropout stuff over the Xmas break

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

sticklefifer posted:

Drawfee's been independent for about a year now. I'm not sure if their old content is still on Dropout though.

They're obviously enjoying themselves much more than they were while tied to collegehumor, i highly recommend watching their YouTube channel and subscribing to their patreon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/Octopimp/status/1346278861923786754

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Shinjobi posted:

Drawfee just recently uploaded a bunch of their old dropout stuff over the Xmas break

Yeah, their (not really) DnD campaign they did for dropout just got uploaded to YouTube. The only kind of drawfee thing still on dropout is Cartoon Hell (which I think the McElroys were on?)

Nthing subscribing to the Drawfee patreon :v:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Really enjoyed the year naming episode. Even the money zone was good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Really enjoyed the year naming episode. Even the money zone was good

Take it from me, a paid spokesperson.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

timp posted:

The newest episode of Adventuring Academy features Griffin as the guest this week. Adventuring Academy is a DnD video podcast hosted by Brennan Lee Mulligan (DM of The Dadlands one shot) where he interviews DMs about DMing. In addition to the Dadlands thing, Brennan also ran a short campaign of DnD called Tiny Heist for the McElroys around this time last year (also a Dropout exclusive though I believe the first episode is on YouTube), and Griffin has also guested in a live episode of Brennan's DnD show, Dimension 20. So this was a long time coming really!

Adventuring Academy is a Dropout exclusive I believe. Dropout is the streaming service run by the now-defunct College Humor, but Dropout still produces high quality content on a regular basis such as this. There's also a chance this may end up on YouTube eventually but I have no idea how long the delay from Dropout exclusive to YouTube release is.

I'll give it a shot. I couldn't make it through Travis' DM panel thing. There was a really awkward moment like ten minutes into it where Travis complains that dice rolls get in the way of story, and the guests trying to hold themselves back from saying "loving what?" was kind of rough to listen to.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'll give it a shot. I couldn't make it through Travis' DM panel thing. There was a really awkward moment like ten minutes into it where Travis complains that dice rolls get in the way of story, and the guests trying to hold themselves back from saying "loving what?" was kind of rough to listen to.

TAZ hasn't been about playing a game since after the first bunch of episods, it's about telling a story (that's why it's a bad game)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

That's always blown my mind because in the other better dnd podcasts the dice rolling insanely well or insanely poorly create some of the most memorable moments in the whole series

Even their whole big arms moment was only interesting because it could've failed due to dice rolls. Would've been no tension otherwise

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've had to completely sidetrack planned stories as a DM before due to good/bad dice rolls, but I love when that happens. It gives me a chance to improv and then I get to repurpose my plans for later so I don't have to do another big prep session. I know both Griffin and Travis have been accused of railroading, but if you don't leave any wiggle room, what's even the point of the interactive aspect? Just write a book if you only want the story.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Piell posted:

TAZ hasn't been about playing a game since after the first bunch of episods, it's about telling a story (that's why it's a bad game)

Enh, yes and no. TAZ was always the lightest of Actual Plays, but at least during the shows highs, they could at least prompt one another for jokes or interactions. What started to get bad in Amnesty and really bad in Graduation is that they got really into creating planned plot points and not really prompting each other.

The dice thing is just another tool that can throw a loop into the plans of the players and the DM. It beats the hell out of these monologued dream sequences that have been a go-to since the end of Balance.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

timp posted:

turned this on and Griffin is talking about balancing his time on campaign design with the fact that they're having a kid in April and he can't obsessively write as much out like he did for amnesty

says he's prepping to do a 5e game post-Travis - i didn't realize they'd confirmed that yet, i'm excited.

also talks about doing A Quiet Year or another worldbuilding game (like friends at the table did) to generate the world they'd use for the 5e setting

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 6, 2021

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Mention of mbmbam on Chapo Trap House via bean dad drama. With their limited, very online knowledge, they basically describe it as “the podcast with 3 brothers, two of whom are normal and one who looks like Gritty and is a middle aged man who describes himself as cute on twitter”. Travis’s legend lives on.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Gritty's mouth is always open...

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Travis is my least favorite brother but I admire just how hard he throws himself into middle-brother energy. Like there's a Travis-shaped hole in the wall.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That’s got to be the only context in which the word gritty has been accurately used to describe Travis.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

eke out posted:

turned this on and Griffin is talking about balancing his time on campaign design with the fact that they're having a kid in April and he can't obsessively write as much out like he did for amnesty

says he's prepping to do a 5e game post-Travis - i didn't realize they'd confirmed that yet, i'm excited.

also talks about doing A Quiet Year or another worldbuilding game (like friends at the table did) to generate the world they'd use for the 5e setting

If you're going to generate a world with players and then switch to just doing D&D then run Fellowship or something my dude

(they won't because they're terrified to ever switch systems again)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/rachellobaugh/status/1346509479714705408?s=20

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

They should keep the filler theme song it’s perfect and does not need to be changed

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s extremely funny that articles and headlines peddling his apology are still referring to him as Bean Dad.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
By far the funniest bits of the bean dad story were B.D.'s asides in his bean thread where he's like "heh... my nine year old daughter isn't the sharpest tool in the shed if you catch my drift... not half as smart as me."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
imagine spending over a decade building your brand online, painstakingly leveraging professional and personal relationships to integrate yourself in several podcasting and internet media communities, slowly increasing your take-home pay from small donations and memberships until you can essentially quit your former career making music and become a full-time internet entertainer. It’s a modest income, but it’s all you—your blood, your sweat, and your tears

and then imagine that in one star-crossed evening you catapult your recognition into the stratosphere, an audience one hundred thousand times larger than your previous base becomes aware of your existence in the blink of an eye

a podcaster’s deepest wish come true—

but, alas, they know you not for your years of podcasting or music, your omnibus of work...not even Omnibus

“bean dad!” they call you

“bean dad!” they cry from atop the houses

“somebody call CPS!” shouts one bystander

“it’s abuse!” cries another

“look, it’s a bunch of horrible horrible race jokes!” yells a man, pointing to a sack of red meat that appears ~8 years old. “Come see! Come see the Bean Dad’s secret crimes!”

“bean dad is a nazi!” jeers a woman

you take your head in your hands

the monkey’s paw has curled a finger, you got your wish of great online fame....but at what cost?

whatever happens to you now—you know not

some high-profile friends have already turned on you, others with more at stake gamely try to defend your honor from the onslaught

John Roderick has been eclipsed and buried by his new, true form

there is only bean dad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbh I'm glad he didn't double down on the slurs even if his given explanation for those posts is extremely dumb.

I'll probably continue to listen to friendly fire with the new knowledge that one of the hosts is an enormous idiot but probably not a chud. The last episode I listened to before the bean hit the dad they joked about people online calling John a 'liberal cuck' all the time and after 'I can reclaim these slurs myself!' I can see why lol.

It was about time for a new theme song anyway, impecable timing to meltdown on twitter just before the first episode of the year came out.