Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of Adobe, I just got an email from them out of the blue trying to get me to buy Acrobat Pro DC. I can't even remember why they have my email address at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I have a few different phones & tablets in my device list, so for the sake of it I checked out that app in the play store to see what devices it'd push to. The only one it's apparently compatible with is my Onyx Note2, the black-and-white e-ink reading tablet.

El-oh-el, Adobe.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Not sure this is the best place to ask, but are there any good ways to bulk-delete Slack messages? I primarily use Slack through my browser (Chrome) so ideally I'd do it there, but I'm also willing to do it through the Slack app on my phone if that's better. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It hates everything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried the app on my Pixel 4 XL it's...weird....

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rexxed posted:

It hates everything.

Are you some sort of Motorola product tester or what? :pwn:

edit: it doesn't hate my Note 9 :smug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last time I used DNS filtering there was an android bug that massively drained the battery if you had a custom DNS set so I've been using Blockada for a while now.

Okay after looking at Adguard DNS again there were some other reasons I guess - namely you can't do it for LTE (without the app?) and it had to be set per AP (again might be solved by the app).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Okay after looking at Adguard DNS again there were some other reasons I guess - namely you can't do it for LTE (without the app?) and it had to be set per AP (again might be solved by the app).
It's my understanding that in android 9 and higher you can at least set a dns for wifi as a whole instead of per access point. For some reason this is not reflected in the instructions on the adguard website.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's my understanding that in android 9 and higher you can at least set a dns for wifi as a whole instead of per access point. For some reason this is not reflected in the instructions on the adguard website.

Not just for wifi either, it works on LTE.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LastInLine posted:

Ah well, so much the better.

On the other hand, chrome might now bypass it anyway? You can set the async dns flag to disabled, but I suspect that will be reset on any update. I can't find the link that I had where it said to do that.

Anyway, I hope that's all accurate. I had to look it up for my nephews. I'm not on a relevant android version myself yet.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think you're referring to Private DNS, best instructions I can find on that. In my case, I use NextDNS' servers in that field.

BTW I've been happy with NextDNS for adblocking both network and device wide.

(They have an app but I've never used it)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 30, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ah well, so much the better.

On the other hand, chrome might now bypass it anyway? You can set the async dns flag to disabled, but I suspect that will be reset on any update. I can't find the link that I had where it said to do that.

Anyway, I hope that's all accurate. I had to look it up for my nephews. I'm not on a relevant android version myself yet.

A quick look at Android Police (the most ad-heavy site I browse) seems to be fine in Chrome though I'll admit I thought I heard the same thing. It's certainly passable as an adblocking tool, at least for now and for what that's worth. I don't do enough mobile web browsing to hit what must be an enormous amount of corner cases and missed ads though, so YMMV.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you some sort of Motorola product tester or what? :pwn:

edit: it doesn't hate my Note 9 :smug:

I just have a lot of moto g and moto e's from doing the get-paid-to sites a few years back. Stuff like perk or swagbucks or whatever they were selling advertisers to play videos on at the time. Most of them are defunct or don't pay well enough to keep most of the phone farm on now, but there are a couple of sites left that pay a little bit. Over time every phone paid for itself multiple times over but I'd no longer recommend doing it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flipperwaldt posted:

LastInLine posted:

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I think you're referring to Private DNS, best instructions I can find on that. In my case, I use NextDNS' servers in that field.

Oh, cool. I'll give that a go then, thank you.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm looking for a multi timer app for cooking.

I want to be able to save a set of timers (i.e. 1 min / 5 min / 10 min) and start them all simultaneously. Any suggestions?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

smoobles posted:

I'm looking for a multi timer app for cooking.

I want to be able to save a set of timers (i.e. 1 min / 5 min / 10 min) and start them all simultaneously. Any suggestions?

I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jee.timer If you make a group, you can have them start at the same time or sequentially. They did add some kind of annoying ads since the last time I used it, but it's a solid enough app that I might just buy the premium.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 2, 2021

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery analyzer type app? I've got a 5 year old Galaxy Note 5 and the battery is getting suuuuuper fucky. It's going to be a real pain to crack this thing open (glass-back bastard).I figure it would be best to grab a couple replacement batteries and test them out before I glue it back shut.

I'm looking for an app that could tell me just how degraded my current battery is (charge cycles and whatnot). And hopefully help me figure out which replacement battery has the best chance of keeping this phone alive for the foreseeable future. Honestly, at this point I'm not expecting a whole lot from any replacement battery. They've probably been harvested from broken Note 5's years ago and aren't that healthy now-a-days.

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, I scanned the last few pages but didn't see anything.

(Oh, and also if anyone has a good recommendation for aftermarket batteries, I'm all ears. I bought a bunch of parts off ifixit.com for my original Note and they seemed to work great but if there is somewhere better, I'm all ears.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Honestly I'd just throw money at a new phone, even if it's a generation or two old. 5 years is well past the point that even new is outdone by midrangers of today.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone have a favorite home screen clock widget? I used Beautiful Widgets for years. But the Android 11 update finally made it obsolete as it hasn't been updated since 2016. Awesome app since it showed clock, weather, and also had toggles for vibrate, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.

Anyone have something similar they use?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I switched from BW to HD Widgets years ago and been happy with it, but in writing this post have realised it no longer exists on the play store and its only my installing from backups between new phones that has kept it alive for me

Oh well :saddowns:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Day of 2020 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery analyzer type app? I've got a 5 year old Galaxy Note 5 and the battery is getting suuuuuper fucky. It's going to be a real pain to crack this thing open (glass-back bastard).I figure it would be best to grab a couple replacement batteries and test them out before I glue it back shut.

I'm looking for an app that could tell me just how degraded my current battery is (charge cycles and whatnot). And hopefully help me figure out which replacement battery has the best chance of keeping this phone alive for the foreseeable future. Honestly, at this point I'm not expecting a whole lot from any replacement battery. They've probably been harvested from broken Note 5's years ago and aren't that healthy now-a-days.

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, I scanned the last few pages but didn't see anything.

(Oh, and also if anyone has a good recommendation for aftermarket batteries, I'm all ears. I bought a bunch of parts off ifixit.com for my original Note and they seemed to work great but if there is somewhere better, I'm all ears.)

Buy a new phone, one with security patches and a battery that won't explode.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone having issues with PocketCasts not downloading new episodes today? I can't download or stream anything that updated this morning.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Anyone having issues with PocketCasts not downloading new episodes today? I can't download or stream anything that updated this morning.

No issues here. Streamed one then played a second one that had been auto-downloaded. Just downloaded a random episode to test and it worked fine.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

XIII posted:

No issues here. Streamed one then played a second one that had been auto-downloaded. Just downloaded a random episode to test and it worked fine.

Same. I just pulled it up to check and apparently there was a new episode of Sawbones. It auto downloaded like normal and is playing just fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

Soysaucebeast posted:

Same. I just pulled it up to check and apparently there was a new episode of Sawbones. It auto downloaded like normal and is playing just fine.

Yeah, dunno. Force stopped, rest phone, cleared cache. I have three files that aren't downloading or playing. Two (The Dollop and Behind the Bastards) aren't playing through the browser on my phone either (works on my desktop).

EDIT: I'm running a Private DNS through adgaurd that now it works after turning that off. 👍

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yeah, dunno. Force stopped, rest phone, cleared cache. I have three files that aren't downloading or playing. Two (The Dollop and Behind the Bastards) aren't playing through the browser on my phone either (works on my desktop).

EDIT: I'm running a Private DNS through adgaurd that now it works after turning that off. 👍

Ah. I've run into a few similar hiccups where disabling my adguard DNS fixed it. I usually just reenable it the next day (or whenever I see an ad and remember) and things are back to being fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

Ah. I've run into a few similar hiccups where disabling my adguard DNS fixed it. I usually just reenable it the next day (or whenever I see an ad and remember) and things are back to being fine.

Yeah, not the first time I've run into it, just didn't think about it this time until just now.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Can someone explain the difference between Google Pay and GPay? I thought the latter would replace the former, but now I have both installed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So in the wake of WhatsApp's new privacy policy and them opening up about sharing info with Facebook, then backtracking to say they've actually been doing it all along, Elon Musk posted this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1347165127036977153

Since then Signal has added over 40 million new users. Insane.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

So in the wake of WhatsApp's new privacy policy and them opening up about sharing info with Facebook, then backtracking to say they've actually been doing it all along, Elon Musk posted this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1347165127036977153

Since then Signal has added over 40 million new users. Insane.

Actually:
https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1348674577703034882?s=19

Lol

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The same thing happened with ZOOM stock last year.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

Can someone explain the difference between Google Pay and GPay? I thought the latter would replace the former, but now I have both installed.

The new one is still in beta so I assume that's why someone can have both installed. So far as I can tell the new app is trying to be a new sort of all in one banking app instead of a venmo/pay with your phone app. But the new one all the sudden charges me a 1.5% fee anytime I move money from Google to my bank. They say if I connect my bank to Google that will go away, but Plaid refuses to connect to Regions so I'm sol on that front. I mainly use Google pay to send money back and forth with my boyfriend for utility bills and groceries and whatnot since the closest ATM is a 15 minute drive so I think I'm going to just use Zelle from now on. They work seamlessly with my bank and don't have fees with them either.

Google strikes again I guess.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Weaponized Autism posted:

The same thing happened with ZOOM stock last year.

This could be the reason people are jumping on the unrelated stock. It doesn't matter if it's stupid people buying it, or just people expecting the price to rise; it (temporarily) worked either way. Sure the stock immediately peaked and came crashing back down, but it's still up 2200%.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

I think the old app is unnecessary and I believe I read that it's entirely included within Play Services now which is how it's accessible on the power menu. It's also accessible from the picture of your default payment card in the top right of GPay. You should be able to uninstall it though I haven't been brave enough.

As for what GPay is, it's got some serious banking-in-the-third-world energy. I can't imagine what its usefulness is supposed to be when free bank to bank and person to person transfers exist. I'm the least privacy-minded person in the universe when it comes to Google and even I'm not going to give them Open Banking access to my accounts, that's just insane.

I'd imagine one could remove both apps if the only thing you cared about was contactless payment and loyalty cards.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd like to create a simple home screen shortcut or assistant command that opens the latest video from a specific youtuber. I can't find a way to do it.

I can't seem to generate any kind of static web URL that always points to the newest.

Is there any way to do this with tasker or something similar?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

eSporks posted:

I'd like to create a simple home screen shortcut or assistant command that opens the latest video from a specific youtuber. I can't find a way to do it.

I can't seem to generate any kind of static web URL that always points to the newest.

Is there any way to do this with tasker or something similar?

I've just tried 'play [youtuber] on YouTube' and that worked for me

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That pulls up *a video*.
It's not the latest video, and I can't tell why it is the video it is. Last watched maybe?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I tried it on a few subscriptions of mine and it always plays the most recent for me

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Odd, I can't tell what determines the video it plays.

Even if it worked, I realized I need a little more specificity too. I need to play from a specific playlist on their channel, not just the newest.

Edit:
"Play youtube <play list name>" will play the playlist in oldest first direction.
"Play latest youtube <play list name>" is playing one from yesterday
"Play today's youtuber <play list name>" still plays yesterday's

I think <play list name> is working, but still won't do latest

eSporks fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rooted Vegetable posted:

For the record, I tried this (I think this was what I did) but it made those free wifi networks that have a captive portal page unusable, places like McD's, Starbucks, and whatnot.

I know others have been over this before, but there's a lot of pages here

How can I get the closest to the functionality of Hangouts when that finally retires, which looks like they just pushed back another couple months?

My main number is a Google Voice number. GV ports all SMS to the Hangouts app. I know I can just turn off Hangouts and text through GV, but wondering if there's a Chrome extension that is like the current Hangouts extension? This one:

I know there's a newer desktop version as well, but I've always hated that. This Chrome extension works just the way I like. Well...mostly, as you can see, it doesn't like to sync profile pics from my phone, and sometimes it un-sync's people's names and just shows their number.

I know GV has a website to use, but I briefly switched back to using the GV apps and it was not as good as the Hangouts extension. Namely, I couldn't copy+paste an image directly into it for some reason.

I only have 1 person that ever actually uses Hangouts to communicate with me, they had an Android at one point but switched to iPhone but kept using Hangouts for me for some reason instead of text, so it'll be pretty easy to get tell her to text.

It's just the usability/UI of Hangouts that I really like and wondering if there's any third party texting app that can basically mimic it? And it has to be able to get GV texts, which I think is the big kicker, those might only be able to be used in GV?

I even tried to switch to Fi a year and a half ago or so but they spend days upon days trying to port my GV number but it failed. Tried like 3 times, weeks of trying to get it to work and it never did.

Had this # forever, so don't want to give it up or switch back to my "'carrier" phone # that is never used, but maybe I'll have to if the usability is easier.