Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

I didn't say Ireland had a shortage of potatoes.

Just that EU-wide the total amount of potatoes is slightly short of normal supply, which is good news for anyone in the EU growing them. But it also means they're not nearly as profitable to export to Britain than, say, barley or low-quality apples.

Sorry, I misread it as us needing to buy spuds from the UK, not the EU. We do import quite a lot from the UK as their varieties tend to make better chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

2025 - The United Kingdom of England and Rockall.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

what kind of boat is best for transporting potatoes from ireland to say somewhere up the bristol channel

not too many, maybe a ton or so per run

nothing too flashy or attention-grabbing
Potatoes are nearly the same density as water, so you could conceivably just get a big net and fill it with potatoes and a few ping pong balls, then attach a motor and sail across. Unfortunately, the currents appear to be going the wrong way for you to be able to just float to Britain.

If you do have a boat, you could probably make them float right beneath the waterline behind you, completely obscuring your haul.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

see if you can get one of those drug-smuggling submarines but use it for potatoes

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

what kind of boat is best for transporting potatoes from ireland to say somewhere up the bristol channel

Paddie Steamer, obvs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

10000 Sex Arses posted:

2025 - The United Kingdom of England and Rockall.

Southern England

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the United Kingdom of Southern England and Wight.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

independent london city state now

https://www.londependence.party/

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

90s Cringe Rock posted:

BRB gonna write some Brexit fiction about potato smuggling. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

9-County Sovereignty Movement. Northern Ireland will retake the counties of Cavan, Donegal, and Monaghan and form an independent sovereign Ulster, before sending the fleet to western Scotland to reclaim lands we once ruled under the glorious Kingdom of Dalriada.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hillary 2020 posted:

BRB gonna write some Brexit fiction about potato smuggling. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Is that two spuds and a bendy banana in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

:wink:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao at the idea that after having hung up their caps decades ago, generations of traditional smuggler families in northern France are frantically unpacking their old boats from their smugglers coves, muttering "a cause de Pommes de terre! Pommes de terre! Ces stupides anglais" under their breath.

Smugglings back baby, and its to transport groceries over the channel while avoided the heated fighting of the cod wars. Brexit!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Even at the height of the famine Ireland was producing more than enough food to feed the entire population. But it was all being shipped to Britain under military protection, to feed the masses who had been forced to abandon the countryside to work in the new industrial towns.

All famines are political.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Potatoes are nearly the same density as water, so you could conceivably just get a big net and fill it with potatoes and a few ping pong balls, then attach a motor and sail across. Unfortunately, the currents appear to be going the wrong way for you to be able to just float to Britain.
and to think people pay extra to brine the things before cooking

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Even at the height of the famine Ireland was producing more than enough food to feed the entire population. But it was all being shipped to Britain under military protection, to feed the masses who had been forced to abandon the countryside to work in the new industrial towns.

I remember when I first read about that; kinda blew a gigantic hole in my youthful anglophilia.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Continuity NIP posted:

Southern England

Lesser Britain

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

prefect posted:

I remember when I first read about that; kinda blew a gigantic hole in my youthful anglophilia.

your what mate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pipski posted:

Well, I guess we'll just have to eat the rich then. Does anyone have a good Rees-Mogg recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7apZnMr9f4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnB7svFAZBs

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Hillary 2020 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93RI7Z3HhZk

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pipski posted:

Well, I guess we'll just have to eat the rich then. Does anyone have a good Rees-Mogg recipe?

not enough meat on that skinny runt. Could use him for stock I suppose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

multijoe posted:

Lesser Britain

I prefer the Latin. England Inferior

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

project fear. project fear. project fear. you are all project fear!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I thought Ireland was still in the EU...It's NI, Scotland, England and Wales that are outs right?

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
Northern Ireland is half in the EU and going to be completely in the EU in a few years

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Northern Ireland and Rockall will unite and form a single nation

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yay! I have a good friend who lives in NI so visiting him will stay easy and I don't have to keep posting the 32 county Ireland meme at him and he can stop smacking me.

Ok I mostly post the 74 county Ireland meme at him but he posts at me how I'll soon be a merman so we're still friends.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1346794313267769345

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Clapping, because giving them actual money for the work they do would make it seem like we cared.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

An insane mind posted:

Clapping, because giving them actual money for the work they do would make it seem like we cared.

It would set a dangerous precedent

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What are they doing with the extra £350m a week?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CactusWeasle posted:

What are they doing with the extra £350m a week?
They spent it all saving bojo from covid.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just when I thought I had things sorted with my harlot wife, bojo has to go and do me like this

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

just when I thought I had things sorted with my harlot wife, bojo has to go and do her like this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So much about the british media class is explained when you realise they write glowingly about bojo after literally being cucked by him

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When the clapping marshals come for me, they'll never take me alive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daB4qAvMQzU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Hey, I don't say this often but...at least you guys aren't as bad as the USA.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

An insane mind posted:

Hey, I don't say this often but...at least you guys aren't as bad as the USA.

Yet.

Unrelated,
https://twitter.com/MarkFoxNews/status/1346939489818710017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/st...ingawful.com%2F