Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Dawgstar posted:

Man, you take these random snippets from Dexter and they sound dope as hell but then you put them all together and...

Dexter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Something I hope we all can agree on is that Dexter had great music.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Something I hope we all can agree on is that Dexter had great music.

Yes, I loved all three of its musical tracks.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

honestly I think there were a couple years where I had convinced myself DJ Qualls had guest-starred in one of the later seasons. the last few seasons are such a blur for me that it was just a vague feeling he had been in some plotline that went nowhere.

I realized later he had actually been on breaking bad, which means dexter's even being overshadowed by BB in the same time slot in my brain.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

All I want out of the new season is a scene where everyone in a restaurant does this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spacebump posted:

All I want out of the new season is a scene where everyone in a restaurant does this.

Hell, same.

In fact I may just have to eat a salad with a knife and fork while watching the premiere.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I like salad lady in Lucifer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yes, I loved all three of its musical tracks.

Yeah pretty much.

Opening theme, great
Blood theme great
Upbeat Latin stuff great
The contrast between the upbeat intro and the somber blood theme at the end, great
Beyond that, ?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I gave up in whatever season had Zero Cool in it as a religious villain.

You know, put it that way, we're really lucky(?) when never got a Matthew Lillard turn as a villain on Dexter.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 13, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The best thing about this is you know they're gonna find some way to have Goth Titty Vampire come back.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

You know, put it that way, we're really lucky(?) when never got a Matthew Lillard turn as a villain on Dexter.

I reckon he'd be genuinely chilling, to be honest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Even though I've seen him in a bunch of stuff, I can't picture Matthew Lillard without that weird goofy, super-strained grin that was pretty much his thing.

It really worked for him as Shaggy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

S6 E9. You may read some meaning into the constantly slowing down pace of my watching this show.

- I can't help but feel that Colin Hanks hasn't really been given a lot of material to work with this season. Or maybe he's just the actor-equivalent of lactose-free non-dairy vanilla ice cream?
- The big painting has "2Lot" hand-written at the bottom, in a place where an artist might ... I dunno, "sign" their work. What could it possibly mean? Is it from the bible? I think we need someone to write this down a few times and get out the circling pens!
- Then again this IS Dexter so it probably isn't going to be an artist's signature, huh?
- Oh my loving god the second law of thermodynamics yes why not write that on a painting
- Oh my double loving god "The 2 Lot's Tale"
- Dexter's talking religion now. Do not make him a religious guy god damnit!
- Ah yes let's track down the blog's "internet protocol address" and hope the Doomsday Killer is running the server from his back pocket
- Oh Quinn you massive moron, losing your gun in a stripper's back seat (not a euphemism)... and that's the best case scenario.
- "When it comes to matters of the heart... always follow your dick."
- Oh so, the whole "Quinn lost his gun" subplot was just an excuse to make fun of an overweight middle-aged woman? Stay classy, show.
- lol this very subtle and believable atheist professor
- Instead of making vague allusions to some vague threat, maybe you could've just said you have reason to believe, you know, THE DOOMSDAY KILLER, is targeting the atheist professor?
- Dexter's talk of DDK Jr. being able to get a fresh start after the DDK has been killed means he's 100% dead. RIP guy.
- Oh no wait. This is Dexter, so that's not nearly dumb enough: it's going to turn out that ... I dunno, he's been the real DDK all along despite all the scenes we've seen of DDK bullying him around. Maybe the older DDK was the ghost of his father or something? Is that a dumb enough theory? I know this wouldn't make a bit of sense considering we've seen the older DDK doing physical things, but this is also the show where the Ice Truck Killer's ghost ate stuff in Dexter's car, and helped Dexter carry a heavy body up a grain silo so v:confused:v
- "DDK took another page out of my brother Brian's playbook". He's not going to turn out to be Dexter's real dad or older brother, is he? He is, isn't he? Can I change my dumb theory to this?
- lol and now Laguerta is best buddies with the commissioner she's always hated and had a mutually exploitative relationship with
- "I'm here if you need a chair", I love Dexter's bad attempts at fitting in
- Hmm the super religious biblical Doomsday Killer has been within 500 feet of this place. Could that very visible abandoned church a stone's throw away have something to do with it? Let's not bother checking it out.
- What the hell is this storyline of Batista's kid sister's romance with the intern building up to?
- Ominous music and shot of a prosthetic hand. Is the intern going to turn out to be the loving Doomsday Killer? That would be too dumb even for Dexter.
- Oh no I'm right about the DDK being Travis's ghost dad, aren't I? They cut from a shot of Travis talking to the DDK to a shot of Dexter talking with Harry's ghost, which is George Lucas levels of "it's like poetry, it rhymes" editing. That was just a joke, show! Don't do it!
- lol frozen Gellar in the basement. gently caress me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ahhhhh, finally :allears:

During the original run, some goon (apologies for not remembering who) called that poo poo in episode 1, and once that gets pointed out, it's apparently VERY obvious in every scene that Gellar isn't alive anymore. I can't speak to whether or not I would have gotten it, because quite literally every goon in the original thread who was hatewatching this whole mess was on that train.

Did you get to the Cheerios part yet? You'll know it when it happens.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

During the original run, some goon (apologies for not remembering who) called that poo poo in episode 1, and once that gets pointed out, it's apparently VERY obvious in every scene that Gellar isn't alive anymore. I can't speak to whether or not I would have gotten it, because quite literally every goon in the original thread who was hatewatching this whole mess was on that train.

Yeah I guess! I keep thinking back to scenes where the DKK for instance knocked Travis unconscious with a shovel, but considering I initially wondered why Travis didn't have a mark on his face afterwards, maybe it wasn't lazy makeup work after all?

quote:

Did you get to the Cheerios part yet? You'll know it when it happens.

I hope not because if I did I must have missed it!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

iirc they do the exact scene in a cafe/restuarant that happens to Bruce Willis in the sixth sense too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

During the original run, some goon (apologies for not remembering who) called that poo poo in episode 1, and once that gets pointed out, it's apparently VERY obvious in every scene that Gellar isn't alive anymore.

I don't have archives for receipts, but I'm pretty sure it was me. :awesome:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Man, I REALLY can't wait to see your reaction to one of the storylines you've mentioned being unceremoniously dropped. I mean, a lot do, but that one is particularly egregious. You'll know the one.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I’m still pissed I cannot find that ikea monkey montage photo. It was so perfect.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

This twist was so obvious some posters believed it was double bluff and the show was intentionally misleading you into thinking he was a ghost. I was kinda on board with this, but no the show is just obvious and dumb.

This was the last season I watched because I just had enough. Not even the end of season cliffhanger could keep me watching.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You joke but Matthew Lillard played a undercover scumbag strip club owner in a few episodes of Bosch and was pretty good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I remember the first half of S7 was watchable because something youve been waiting to happen happens and there's Ray Stevenson and a minataur but its all downhill from the second half and accelerates hard downhill in 8.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 17, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

God Hole posted:

i remember one poster had a gif avatar of dexter all exasperated going "everything is in MY control"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGIuiQS5Fs

always got a good chuckle out of me while i was scrolling

...including whether or not I watch this lovely loving show when it comes back (I will not)

Caros
May 14, 2008

timp posted:

...including whether or not I watch this lovely loving show when it comes back (I will not)

You're posting in the dexter thread before its release. You will watch this lovely show with the rest of us and marvel at the sights we have to show you.

This pinheaded man says he has sights to show me. Does he know my secret?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this thread is unbelievable. Kinda can't wait to hatewatch season 9

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Y'all, it's been 8 YEARS...

https://twitter.com/bimadew/status/1336549885236088834?s=19

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't even loving remember why that monkey has anything to do with Dexter and yet I too still thought of Dexter when I saw that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't even loving remember why that monkey has anything to do with Dexter and yet I too still thought of Dexter when I saw that

Someone put a comparison still from the show of Charlotte Rampling's character sitting in a car, looking out the window, and it was perfect.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is this real

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was reading through Der Shovel's recaps last night and it's crazy how many repressed memories I have from this show. Like I watched the whole thing and shitposted through the worst of it with everyone else but couldn't tell you a thing that happened across pretty much the whole series outside of the real memorable bits (black SUV, cutting the salad, and his kid eating poo poo on the treadmill). Like I even struggle to think of anything specific that Trinity did that was worthy of praise outside of that I think it was thanksgiving scene. I smoke a lot of weed and my memory sucks for sure but it's crazy just how much seeing even that gif of Dexter at the HS reunion makes me think "Oh yeah, that happened!" Those seasons in particular after S4 were definitely memory-holed.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I noped out as soon as the sister loving plot developed and never followed up with finishing but I'm here for everyone to hate watch and poo poo post together.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I kind of skimmed through but 10 pages and not one mention of Miguel Prado???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Well, you're here now, so....

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Miguel Prado posted:

He's no Chicky Hines.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Miguel Prado posted:

nine holes tomorrow?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Miguel Prado posted:

He's still a touchy subject, like a knife to the heart

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
But have you considered:. Freebo???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, Clancy Brown has been cast as the villain.

I'm potentially legitimately excited.

Also there have been a few reports on MCH mentioning how much he didn't like the ending, but as with most people who only mention the ending and nothing else, holy poo poo, seasons 5-8 were terrible, each worse than the preceding one. :psyduck: How do you have a season like the Trinity killer and then almost all characters just lose their motivation afterwards?

When people like Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould mention that their writers really let the characters drive the story they're not kidding. In Dexter's case, it was Showtime's wallet that motivated that show to keep limping along. Otherwise, they'd have ended it with 5, maybe 6 seasons, and it'd be better remembered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Brown joins a long line of memorable actors who plays villains opposite Dexter, too, including Jimmy Smits, Colin Hanks, and Edward James Olmos. Fans will no doubt be excited to see what the Dexter team is cooking up for Brown's character to ensure the revival is as gripping as possible.

Yea, the show wasted all of those actors too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Also there have been a few reports on MCH mentioning how much he didn't like the ending, but as with most people who only mention the ending and nothing else, holy poo poo, seasons 5-8 were terrible, each worse than the preceding one.

I suspect that Hall's sticking to the talking points. You don't advertise a revival by telling people that over half of it was poo poo. You tell them the ending was bad and that you're very sorry and that next time it'll be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect that Hall's sticking to the talking points. You don't advertise a revival by telling people that over half of it was poo poo. You tell them the ending was bad and that you're very sorry and that next time it'll be better.

Sorry, I should've clarified; I never expected anything different from him or anyone else involved with the show, but moreso literally anyone else who says "show was good until THAT ENDING!"

Him talking about the ending just reminded me of waaaaay too many people I've heard over the years having zero issues with the show outside of the last 10 minutes.

I kinda want Ryan George to do a pitch meeting teardown of each season.