Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Okay yeah look...Death Metal #7 is...some cray-rear end tomfoolery and outright incomprehensible by even the barest of standards...but I can't help myself but to like it anyway. :black101:

It's doing the poo poo Johns wanted to do with his Watchmen thing where all of the past and future stuff that was wiped due to New 52 is back in some manner. The events of Metal forced a split and they're their own Earth that's not in the core. There's a new Earth other than Earth-0 (Earth-Prime?) that's basically a flaming story hook for Snyder or whoever else. Same with "Darkseid is missing"

Also the two page spread where they partied and mentioned them inviting villains only has Harley and Ivy as villains in it, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xelkelvos posted:

It's doing the poo poo Johns wanted to do with his Watchmen thing where all of the past and future stuff that was wiped due to New 52 is back in some manner. The events of Metal forced a split and they're their own Earth that's not in the core. There's a new Earth other than Earth-0 (Earth-Prime?) that's basically a flaming story hook for Snyder or whoever else. Same with "Darkseid is missing"

Also the two page spread where they partied and mentioned them inviting villains only has Harley and Ivy as villains in it, lol.

I also see bizarro

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Xelkelvos posted:

Vandal Savage is there too.

So about Generations Shattered...

That villain look familiar to anyone?

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 5, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC is such a trainwreck right now. All of the future comics were terrible except for Wonder Woman. I can't even say how much I hated the Flash poo poo. Imagine if they had gone forward with this being the actual new continuity? It would have been the death of them.

As it is now, it's just another bad idea where all DC does is try to write the biggest stories that will change things FOREVER and then when their continuity is even more loving complicated because of it, they'll have to write another event to try and fix things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Give most of the Future State creators are going to be working on the main books I think the idea is "here's what happens if all those storylines coming up go terribly wrong". Like I don't think any retconning is going to be needed?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the rumour that this is them burning off the first arc of the books that were supposed to be the new slate before DiDio got canned? I have to hand it to Dan for at least having a bold idea if nothing else, actually doing something daring (even the New 52 wasn't daring, it was 'lets put the genies back in the bottle and put everything back to square one like in COIE') is rare.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Most of Future State was ok. The only things that grabbed me was Wonder Woman and the art in both the Harley Quinn and Batman books.

why do they keep doing my boy Wally dirty :negative:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the rumour that this is them burning off the first arc of the books that were supposed to be the new slate before DiDio got canned? I have to hand it to Dan for at least having a bold idea if nothing else, actually doing something daring (even the New 52 wasn't daring, it was 'lets put the genies back in the bottle and put everything back to square one like in COIE') is rare.

It's an unproven rumor that given the way the DC books are going post-Future State I think it's increasingly less likely

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

PenguinKnight posted:

Most of Future State was ok. The only things that grabbed me was Wonder Woman and the art in both the Harley Quinn and Batman books.

why do they keep doing my boy Wally dirty :negative:

The people who orchestrated the start of this event hate him and were in power since 2004.

It's not some cosmic coincidence that a year after Didio came into power they rushed out an ending to Johns Flash run and got rid of Wally immediately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didio hated Nightwing just as much, but he was never able to kill him off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

He literally has a butt that just won't quit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The fact that this panel got past the editors kinda shows how little attention they're paying nowadays. :xd:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I cannot believe how much of a trash fire Future State: Flash was. In the same minute that Death Metal ended with Barry saying "Isn't this cool? Look how cool everything is!" to Wally, someone said "Let's just have Wally murder everyone, again, 'cuz what else would we be reading a future Flash story for?" We got Luke Fox as Batman, Jon Kent as Superman, a completely new Wonder Woman, and seriously no one else had any ideas for what the Flash mythos could be like in the future? Other than this?

Speaking of, I like new WW so far but nothing about it is screaming new favorite character to me just yet. There's just so little background on her right now so pretty much the only thing we know about her is that she's kind of a dumbass...er, I mean she's very headstrong, yes. :sweatdrop:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

RBX posted:

Is this dark nights metal stuff good? I also see Dark Nights death metal?

I thought Snyder's New52 Batman was excellent and Metal kind of worked as a cherry on top. But even sticking to the core books it got pretty stale and 90s xtreme. Also a very Morrison ending.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Batman writers like Dick and have a large say in the offices. No one gives a poo poo about The Flash like they do Batman adjacent stuff.

And even then we got stuff like Rick this whole past year. And the ever hosed situation that is The Titans.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 6, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the new Batman not Luke but his brother? Or was that a red herring and lol it's the Fox kid that was already a Bat?

And isn't there a new Flash in the Justice League book?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I do not plan to ever read Death Metal again but I do think it's funny that you can almost pinpoint a part where it goes from being a setup for whatever 5G was to being "actually the status quo is cool and good so everything's gonna go back to normal after a few months". And a whole lotta dumb in-story bullshit to justify "We're gonna do Elseworlds".

At least the goddamn Batman Who Laughs is loving dead. (Until Scott Snyder has another TOTALLY METAL story to tell and he reveals that actually dying was a part of his master plan so he could become the Spectre or some poo poo)

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the idea was bold as hell which is something you rarely see in the Big Two.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

If only the bold idea wasn't headed by a man with the creative direction of a jackhammer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the new Batman not Luke but his brother? Or was that a red herring and lol it's the Fox kid that was already a Bat?
Granted I wasn't paying that much attention, but I didn't really get that impression. If there was a red herring in the issue, it'd be more like Luke is the one they want us to think is Batman and his brother would be the unexpected twist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not reading the Bat-titles right now, but I thought JT4 brought in an obscure other son of Lucius in a really unsubtle 'this is definitely the guy that's gonna be Batman' esque way a few issues ago?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Again, based on this issue alone it's strongly suggested Luke is Batman, right down to him sharing Batman's text boxes; if it does turn out that Tim/Jace is Batman, it would have to be a misdirect to the degree that many of Luke's on-panel narration was coming from his brother instead. It's not outright impossible, but until you mentioned it I didn't even consider it.

e: Unless I'm reading this completely wrong 'cuz the internet thinks to think for sure it's Tim? Idk. Don't rely on me for this. I haven't been paying any attention.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 6, 2021

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The backups in Batman really make me like it less, even though they are...fine? Nothing in they thing makes it worth 8 bucks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Again, based on this issue alone it's strongly suggested Luke is Batman, right down to him sharing Batman's text boxes; if it does turn out that Tim/Jace is Batman, it would have to be a misdirect to the degree that many of Luke's on-panel narration was coming from his brother instead. It's not outright impossible, but until you mentioned it I didn't even consider it.

e: Unless I'm reading this completely wrong 'cuz the internet thinks to think for sure it's Tim? Idk. Don't rely on me for this. I haven't been paying any attention.

I think you probably just didn't fall for the red herring and it never registered for you that it was gonna be anyone but Luke. Honestly, the better set-up for this kind of thing is the new Green Power Ranger in the Boom Studios books, because all the possible candidates for that are characters that have been floating around the titles for dozens of issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The reason the Internet thinks that the new Batman is Tim Fox and not Luke Fox really comes down to DC Comics issuing a press release last month saying that Tim Fox is the New Batman and then writer John Ridley doing a month's worth of interviews talking about how Tim Fox is the new Batman, why he wanted Tim Fox as the new Batman, what he thinks is interesting about Tim Fox as the new Batman, etc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The backups in Batman really make me like it less, even though they are...fine? Nothing in they thing makes it worth 8 bucks.

The Batman backups are better than the main Batman comic. WW is solid and whimsical and would be a fine addition to canon though I fear what a bad writer would do with the introduction of a non-european pantheon interacting with Olympians. The premise for all of the Metropolis stuff is just bad. Swamp Thing has legs though. Harley Quinn also seems to have potential and it'd be a nice change to see her as Manic Pixie Punk Rock Criminologist in the main canon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xelkelvos posted:

The Batman backups are better than the main Batman comic. WW is solid and whimsical and would be a fine addition to canon though I fear what a bad writer would do with the introduction of a non-european pantheon interacting with Olympians. The premise for all of the Metropolis stuff is just bad. Swamp Thing has legs though. Harley Quinn also seems to have potential and it'd be a nice change to see her as Manic Pixie Punk Rock Criminologist in the main canon.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact angle the new harley quinn book is taking

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

So, what, he wanted Dick back as Robin?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dawgstar posted:

So, what, he wanted Dick back as Robin?

No he just wanted him dead. He tried it in Infinite Crisis and everyone else put their foot down on it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Once again, because he makes Bats "too old"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Death metal and generations shattered were good

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the exact angle the new harley quinn book is taking

It is a really good use of her and Scarecrow for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FS Wonder Woman was a fine in media res start, basically playing it as if this was just the next arc in an ogoing.
And I quite liked the main story in Superman, especially as it's less Red Son and more Jon did this as a stopgap and oh poo poo it was Brainiac's plan all along. Not sure about the backups, Mr Miracle was fine but seems to clash with the situation presented in Guardian- which had great art but kind of a b lah story and kind of assumes you know this is the Morrison version of Guardian?
Sensational Wonder Woman suffered from the solicits basically giving away the twist (although it's hardly a shock if you know the villain in question)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 6, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is a really good use of her and Scarecrow for sure.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame this isn't the ongoing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame this isn't the ongoing.

Isn't it the same writer, though? She could definitely incorporate some of those elements.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it the same writer, though? She could definitely incorporate some of those elements.

That is, in fact, the purpose of Future State

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

It's definitely a reworked version of what was originally planned for 5G, at least to a large extent. How much of it is literally just 5G material, how much had to be rewritten/redrawn due to editorial changes, and how much was newly commissioned just for Future State, I have no idea. Though fwiw, Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman strike me as more the first two categories, and Flash and Swamp Thing more the last.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 7, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wonder Woman 100% reads like Jones is just doing the first issue of a run in an ongoing series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Robin King managed to be even more tryhard grimcool than Batman who Laughs EX+Godmode was. That character was a total black hole of interesting and just served as a carte blanche to go "oh, what kind of hosed up Tower of Babel-type bullshit can we come up with for them to kill people"

I.e. Barry Allen's Mom in a FlashRing that is laced with AntiSpeedforce Virus

TwoPair posted:

At least the goddamn Batman Who Laughs is loving dead.
:actually: TBwL DIED in issue one and TOwL is a gestalt of BatManHattan and TBwL brain matter so it's its own thing and also in a year Goldstreak (the ancestor of Booster Gold and GirlFlash) comes back from the year WhatIf to tell Batman and Superman that "THERE IS A HOLE IN YESTERDAY AND A GAP IN TOMORROW" leading them to find out that TOwL became a part of the End of Time and has now become the UberGod The Bat in The Dark and is making his body the new Source Wall made of pure Entropy and...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 8, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The first chapter of the Joker raises a baby manga is out.

It is...wholesome? Wait that's not right...

Also, seeing Joker's inner dialogue is hilarious.
the fact that he uses his mad laughter to cover up that he's has no idea wtf to do next is genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

The first chapter of the Joker raises a baby manga is out.