Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's not the hot boys that bother me, I love hot boys. I just think the Organization characters all look stupid and have stupid personalities and their entire storyline is stupid and an obnoxious distraction from hanging out with Winnie the Pooh. It's like going to Disneyland with your favorite friends that you recently reconnected with, but some group of cybergoths bumps into you and thinks you're all friends now so they start following you and blasting Papa Roach from their phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that is what people like about it. It has a large number of pretty boys with distinct personalities being melodramatic at one another. That is something people like, including Disney Fans. That is why Disney made a dating simulator where all the Disney villains are reimagined as cute boys.

I know it's normally seen as an insult, but trust me I don't mean it as one: drat, this is the kinda stuff I would've expected to see on Tumblr. I'm shocked to see this coming from Disney of all companies.

SlimGoodbody posted:

You're forgetting the part where you fight back to back with Cloud (iirc) against an army of heartless that stretches to the horizon

Yeah, that part had great dialogue. I wish the rest of the game could've reached those highs.

Sakurazuka posted:

oh no not hot guys

Absolutely disgusting. Men should only have one size, large and wide like a fridge. Bigger, like Street Fighter or Warhammer characters.

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's not the hot boys that bother me, I love hot boys. I just think the Organization characters all look stupid and have stupid personalities and their entire storyline is stupid and an obnoxious distraction from hanging out with Winnie the Pooh. It's like going to Disneyland with your favorite friends that you recently reconnected with, but some group of cybergoths bumps into you and thinks you're all friends now so they start following you and blasting Papa Roach from their phones

Onmi posted:

Just a reminder that the reason Disney doesn't interact much with not only anyone not the party, but also the other disney stuff, is because Disney is a company run by loving fools still operating under an embargo rule that was put in place to make Disneyland special. And that their control over anything that has their name on it can aptly be described as "Noose-like".

Yoshi-P when talking about things crossing over with XIV was basically like "Yeah, anything's possible" "Kingdom Hearts?" "Almost anything is possible, not that, working with Disney is hell."

Kingdom Hearts has been coasting by on the potential of being fun in all the dumbest ways because Disney locked it down with a choke chain within the first 13 minutes of the idea being pitched to them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

easily the hottest FF protagonist

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Absolutely disgusting. Men should only have one size, large and wide like a fridge. Bigger, like Street Fighter or Warhammer characters.

Fo real tho why is ursula boy not fat. Cute fat boy erasure!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Moola posted:

Cloud is so loving hot tho for real

Bleck posted:

this but also every other character in that game

I kind of miss the days when video game characters were just like circles or squares or weird blobs instead of being hot. I met Panam in Cyberpunk and was like :eyepop: and it's like game devs have been given too much power

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that is what people like about it. It has a large number of pretty boys with distinct personalities being melodramatic at one another. That is something people like, including Disney Fans. That is why Disney made a dating simulator where all the Disney villains are reimagined as cute boys.

Oh. Twisted Wonderland is actually a real thing?! I saw a jewelry company putting out 'Twisted Wonderland' stuff, I assumed it was just 'edgy Disney' and not 'this is based off a hot boy dating sim'.

The thing I disliked about KH2, was that the FF7 guys were all in their Advent Children outfits now, as opposed to their reimagined outfits. So help me, I liked Cloud's 'raided Vincent's closet for a last minute Halloween costume' look, silly as it was. Like, he wanted to look badass and menacing and mysterious, but his understanding was way off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

RareAcumen posted:

Kingdom Hearts has been coasting by on the potential of being fun in all the dumbest ways because Disney locked it down with a choke chain within the first 13 minutes of the idea being pitched to them.

What's less explicable is why they also basically abandoned the Final Fantasy crossover stuff, when those are characters and properties they actually own!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What's less explicable is why they also basically abandoned the Final Fantasy crossover stuff, when those are characters and properties they actually own!

I'm willing to bet any character they want to put in they have to first get past a Disney exec in a suit.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Kingdom Hearts III was just disappointing really, enough for me to say that I'm done with the series.

Dropping plot points was a constant issue - I didn't get why they just forgot about the saving the worlds they were visiting by sealing off the keyholes (besides 1?) then having all of the plot in the final world.

Overall it just seemed like an incohesive mess that actually made me worry at how FFVII-R would turn out - but I was actually pleasantly surprised on that front. It made me believe Square-Enix could make good FF games again after I mentally checked out after the stumbling of XII, XIII and XIII-2.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

MythLisp posted:

Kingdom Hearts III was just disappointing really, enough for me to say that I'm done with the series.

Dropping plot points was a constant issue - I didn't get why they just forgot about the saving the worlds they were visiting by sealing off the keyholes (besides 1?) then having all of the plot in the final world.

Overall it just seemed like an incohesive mess that actually made me worry at how FFVII-R would turn out - but I was actually pleasantly surprised on that front. It made me believe Square-Enix could make good FF games again after I mentally checked out after the stumbling of XII, XIII and XIII-2.

Part of it was that Disney started getting very rules-y with what they were and weren't allowed to do in the Disney worlds, especially noticeable with how Frozen's world doesn't let you interact with the plot at all, while Toy Story and Monster's Inc (Pixar) kinda just let them invent entirely new stories and were much much better for it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MythLisp posted:

Dropping plot points was a constant issue - I didn't get why they just forgot about the saving the worlds they were visiting by sealing off the keyholes

They didn't forget about that. Destroying Ansem SoD at the End of the World re-established the barriers between worlds and essentially undid the need to seal keyholes, which is why in KH2 what you're doing is opening worlds again to establish connections.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Xad posted:

Part of it was that Disney started getting very rules-y with what they were and weren't allowed to do in the Disney worlds, especially noticeable with how Frozen's world doesn't let you interact with the plot at all, while Toy Story and Monster's Inc (Pixar) kinda just let them invent entirely new stories and were much much better for it.

The way I understand it is that each Disney property has its own separate brand management which independently decided what could and couldn’t be done with those characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ethiser posted:

The way I understand it is that each Disney property has its own separate brand management which independently decided what could and couldn’t be done with those characters.

Basically that's a minimum of it, on top of that is the usual 'Disney Embargo' rules (Only 'Neutral' characters can interact with non-neutral characters, non-neutral characters can't appear in non-neutral spaces that aren't there brand) I go back to Disney Infinity, Disney's attempt to get that Skylanders money, and that you couldn't take characters to 'branded worlds' they weren't apart of. So you couldn't take the Incredible Characters to any Star Wars world, or visa versa, but Mickey Mouse can go to both.

This is born from what was originally rules for Disney World, to make Disney World feel special and not lower the value of any one part of the park (Why go to X if the characters from X are over in Y?)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wondered why Disney Infinity crashed so hard and, yeah, that'd probably help explain it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Disney security teams all kicking in the door to some little kid's room and breaking their thumbs for playing with a Rei and Elastigirl action figure at the same time and then suing them for brand dilution

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

I finished it on hard today as well, didn't have gotter but it was still relatively straightforward. While you have to have a good plan to beat Rufus and the Arsenal, you can just sorta do what you want against the Whispers (kinda wish I knew what was going on but it worked so never mind).

I'm not one to really pay much attention to trophies, but it's funny how slightly more players have gotten all 9 outfits than have gotten all the enemy skills. I don't think I can be bothered to go back and redo chapter 10 to get Cloud's 10th manuscript, I can't imagine doing all the outfit tasks over and over...

Edit: repeat chapter 9, I mean..

Ya honestly I use to do trophies/achievement hunting when I was a teenager but gently caress these days I barely have time to play games. I normally just try to replay the game on harder difficulty if I like the combat. That's as far as I will go or try to see different endings if that is how it is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Had a lot of discussions over the years on here about FFVII's localization. Some think it just distorts the game beyond all recognition and made it impossible to really appreciate the characters. Just the other day somebody said quoting FFVII as proof was a bad idea because the translation is so spotty.

Well, I don't dispute how clearly flawed the translation is. But watching hip and Ironicus LP the remake, the remake version of Cloud's flashback of seeing his mom is almost word-for-word the same as OG FFVII. The silly goose line is a new, a bit of flavor, but everything else about temptations in the city and - this is the big one for me - finding an older girl to take care of him are identical to the original.

Cloud's mother: ...I'm worried about you. There are a lot of temptations in the city... I'd feel a lot better if you just settled down and had a nice girlfriend.

Cloud (in flashback): ...I'm all right.

Cloud's mother: You should have... an older girlfriend, one that'll take care of you. I think that would be the perfect type for you.

Gotta say, Cloud doesn't sound at all in this scene like how I imagine it. This is Cloud returned home after his failure to get into Shinra, where he is so ashamed he can't even show his face to Tifa. In the remake, he just sounds kinda bored, as opposed to listless and depressed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He doesn’t go full bonkers depressed until Aerith gets got and he goes into a coma.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

NikkolasKing posted:

Gotta say, Cloud doesn't sound at all in this scene like how I imagine it. This is Cloud returned home after his failure to get into Shinra, where he is so ashamed he can't even show his face to Tifa. In the remake, he just sounds kinda bored, as opposed to listless and depressed.

He didn't get into SOLDIER, but he still has a job and friends. He's ashamed and hiding from the town so he's morose and mopey but depression won't hit until his 30s and he's realised he has no distraction from the void. Luckily he fast forwards that process through severe trauma.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

He didn't get into SOLDIER, but he still has a job and friends. He's ashamed and hiding from the town so he's morose and mopey but depression won't hit until his 30s and he's realised he has no distraction from the void. Luckily he fast forwards that process through severe trauma.

It’s always great to knock out that midlife crisis ASAP. That really frees up time later on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

He doesn’t go full bonkers depressed until Aerith gets got and he goes into a coma.

And then the Depression 2 that people associate him with forever doesn't come till he and a great deal of the people he knows get cancer later on.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

NikkolasKing posted:

To give the writers the benefit of the doubt, that could be unreliable narrator/memories happening. Seeing as Cloud puts himself in Zack's role when he explains the Nibelheim incident to the gang at Kalm. Who knows, maybe he'll sound more like he's depressed talking to her when Tifa and him fall into the lifestream, or maybe the writing team will completely forget they had Cloud's VA sound like that by then!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also does anybody know if the former English cast has been asked about why they weren't brought back? I'm trying to find official sources on this.

I found this
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/06/11/28-random-things-i-learned-from-playing

quote:

5. The voice cast is different; Square Enix says a new generation of performers is the best way for newcomers and old fans to experience Final Fantasy VII Remake.

What a load of corporate garbage given they kept the Japanese cast.

I know FFVIIR was great and so nobody will miss the original cast - same thing happened to Alison Court, the original English voice or Claire Redfield for nearly 20 years. Then RE2R ruled and she's forgotten history.

But I still care. People get attached to these roles. It isn't just a superficial difference for fans or the VAs themselves. The new VAs are good and I'm happy for them but istill wonder about this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The new Aerith actress is infinitely preferable to the previous one. All of the other new ones are great and often even preferable (the only one I don't necessarily think is preferable is the new Cloud, and in that case it's because to me they basically just sound the same).

The only one I'm going to say I pre-emptively don't like is Cait Sith, because the voice they did for him in TeamFourStar's machinabridged series is exactly what I always heard in my head, and I know they probably won't go with that.

Though if they get someone to do an exaggerated fake-Scottish accent, I'll probably love that, too.

As for why they didn't bring them back, I don't know, they probably just wanted to save money with non-union actors or whatever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Sephiroth to turn into Cloud in FF7 part 2 when he sees Zack.

Future sight to Zack dying fighting the Shinra army and a tear rolls down Sephiroth's face.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Eh, it would be sort of out of character and wouldn't make a lot of sense. After Angeal and Genesis went rouge and were presumed dead Zack was likely the closest thing Sephiroth had to a friend, but they were not especially close. At best they were work friends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The new actors all sound fine-to-great.

Steve Burton was cool but I don't know that he ever at any point was asked to do anything within the full range of Cloud's character like the new actor has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The old va's are probably just as in the dark as you. Companies have zero problem throwing voice talent away the second someone decides they can get someone new/better. Look at what happened to hayter.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i would have an easy answer if the new voice acting was bad but instead it is like among the best in english dubs so it could be any number of things, i guess

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I can’t really think of a VA that stood out as horrid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

Eh, it would be sort of out of character and wouldn't make a lot of sense. After Angeal and Genesis went rouge and were presumed dead Zack was likely the closest thing Sephiroth had to a friend, but they were not especially close. At best they were work friends.

Ah my bad. I never had a psp so I never played Crisis Core. Nor have I ever been invested enough in FF7 to watch the Crisis Core Movie: The Game Cutscenes only, either.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my favourite parts of CC were pre-crazy Sephiroth being a really chill and cool dude

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a good Let's Play of Crisis Core? I'm not going to play it but I remember people saying it didn't completely destroy the original characterizations and was pretty good, so I wouldn't mind having this lore.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I remember it as a mixed bag, for every good thing it added there was yet another line of Genesis reading "the GIFT of the GODess!"

its been years though

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TK-42-1 posted:

I can’t really think of a VA that stood out as horrid.

The new Zack was just okay. That's the only one.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bleck posted:

Weren't there some sort of right-wing issues with the former VA?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anakha posted:

They got rid of ALL the voice-actors. Gomez, Zack's old English VA, has been doing stuff for Square since X-2 back in like 2003.

Square just dumped all of them for reasons that are probably petty and stupid.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

anakha posted:

No that's specifically the new Zack VA, he goes to the the same lovely homophobic megachurch as Chris Pratt

Anyway the new cast is largely amazing and also now the 20-something characters are played by actual 20-somethings instead of people in their 40s and 50s so that's nice

Like, gently caress if I know why they decided to cast a twitch streamer with very limited acting experience as one of their two female leads but I'm glad they did because Briana White did an amazing job

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Actual gamers with VA chops might be the wave of the future, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bleck posted:

Yeah, that was...not the voice I was expecting for Zack. But also didn't okay CC, so maybe they're similar?