Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. There's no evidence of any PIE speakers having writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Dalael posted:

Are these distinct language or just your doctor's notes?
I was wildly guessing that they are all the same and in English and it's nice to be right occasionally

wikimedia posted:

From the 1897 book Eclectic Shorthand by Cross. Scanned by Marlow4 and placed in public domain.

It is the Lord's Prayer in English.

It shows shorthand methods of :

John Robert Gregg (1866 – 1948)

Isaac Pitman (1813 — 1897)

Graham

James Eugene Munson (1835 — 1906)

Lindsley

Helen M. Pernin (author of Universal phonography in ten lessons)

Cross (eclectic)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

The problem with something like Djoser is that Egyptian writing (and a lot of other ancient ones) doesn't include vowels, so those are just best guesses.

I know it's my own English centric view point but it's always crazy to my that there are systems that don't include vowels. Is there a reason for that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My guess for ancient writing is the same as why Latin inscriptions have so many abbreviations, ancient writing is a pain in the rear end and you aren't intending anyone to read it who isn't fluent in the language, so if you have the consonants down you can read it and it was faster to write. Languages have fewer vowel sounds than consonant sounds generally so you can get the words without them. Wrks k n nglsh s wll. Eaie o ea a oy oe. Easier to read than only vowels.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Another thing to note with regards to the lack of written vowels in some ancient scripts is that this practice is most commonly seen in Semitic languages (like ancient Egyptian or Hebrew). These languages emphasize vowel sounds less then other languages do, such as the fact words in almost never begin with vowels in Semitic languages. Certain words in English, such as "I," or "oil," or "era" lose all meaning if you remove the vowels, but words that are structured like this do not generally exist in Semitic languages.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

My guess for ancient writing is the same as why Latin inscriptions have so many abbreviations, ancient writing is a pain in the rear end and you aren't intending anyone to read it who isn't fluent in the language, so if you have the consonants down you can read it and it was faster to write. Languages have fewer vowel sounds than consonant sounds generally so you can get the words without them. Wrks k n nglsh s wll. Eaie o ea a oy oe. Easier to read than only vowels.

omg wtf r u evn on abt?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Carillon posted:

I know it's my own English centric view point but it's always crazy to my that there are systems that don't include vowels. Is there a reason for that?

Alphabets are for the weak, abjads are stronger and rote memorization of thousands of characters is the sign of true strength of will. 这是为什么中文是世界上最好的语言。

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Semitic languages are just legible without vowels as a quirk, largely due to the root word system.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_root

You’ll have to learn the vowels as a non-native speaker but as a fluent one the morphs of root consonant words change the meaning without needing to see the accompanying vowels.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 6, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

And our understanding of proto languages seem to be changing a ton. Wikipedia's PIE article has a bunch of reconstructions of the same passage from the last few decades, and today's looks nothing like the early ones. Though that could also be just spelling changes and they'd be pronounced very similarly? Idk.

Or those are just different people's guesses over time. Its not like there's much new evidence coming out. Older reconstructions aren't necessarily worse.

Helpfully BTW Coptic is written in a Greek derived alphabet which includes vowels.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Cursive dates from when lifting your pen off the page would create blots and drips. It is obsolete.

Its a lot quicker to write even without that which is why it didn't die with the fountain pen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I get time travel I'm recording some PIE.

also giving machine guns and TNT to the Gauls just for kicks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My prediction is Rome conquers Gaul quicker as the gauls continue to fight amongst themselves and Rome aquires the technology quickly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I get time travel, I'm giving Rome Facebook and they will collapse before they have time to conquer Gaul.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Giving the nuke to Hannibal (and also to Rome) just to see what happens.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

feedmegin posted:

Or those are just different people's guesses over time. Its not like there's much new evidence coming out. Older reconstructions aren't necessarily worse.

I’m not especially well versed in linguistics but my impression from reading about ancient Korean/Japanese is that our understandings of how a lot of this works have changed quite a bit over the decades. And even if not, newer guesses are built on top of older ones.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FreudianSlippers posted:

Giving the nuke to Hannibal (and also to Rome) just to see what happens.

Don't even care about the immediate effects, the archaeology and mythologizing of the detonation site is what would be really interesting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

feedmegin posted:

Well I think where they're making advancement is in the linguistic comparative method, and that leads to shifts in our grasp of PIE. But I am not a linguist.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There wasn’t necessarily a single unified PEI language at any point, correct?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was probably more a spectrum of largely mutually intelligible languages than a single one, yeah.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Ola posted:

If I get time travel, I'm giving Rome Facebook and they will collapse before they have time to conquer Gaul.

Didn't they already have Forum trolls?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fish of hemp posted:

No, the trolls would have been survivors from the Finno-Korean hyperwar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fish of hemp posted:

Good point. But you had to lurk the Forum a while, otherwise you'd get :when-Lepidus-was-consul-rolleyes:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ola posted:

you joke but roman elections were less democracies with rules of law and more popularity contests of who could turn out a bigger patronage network out on the streets

they would take to it like fish to water. it would be trivial to get your followers out to burn down the houses of your political opponents

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fish of hemp posted:

greece had an agora troll living in a barrel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

???????????????????????

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Diogenes is Greek for Oscar.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CrypticFox posted:

Reconstructing Sumerian phonology is a lot harder then Mycenean Greek though, since Mycenean Greek can be compared to Attic and Modern Greek. There is no modern language that is even all that similar to Sumerian, so figuring out how that language would have been spoken requires a great deal of guesswork. Egyptian is actually somewhat easier (in some ways, the lack of vowels are still a major issue), even though its about the same age as Sumerian. A direct line can be drawn from Ancient Egyptian to the Coptic language, which is still (barely) in use today.

My understanding was that with Sumerian, the long period of Sumerian-Akkadian bilingualism helps a lot. I believe there are even surviving examples of Sumerian pronunciation guides for the discerning Akkadian-speaker. So working back through the Semitic languages, we can at least get some idea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Diogenes is Greek for Oscar.

Behold, my can

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQhG_uVu6U

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ola posted:

The Romans would be the most powerful posters of them all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JC would be the best twitter poster ever, that is true.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

He'd be funny as hell in the modern age of cameras and all, "OH YEAH I BEAT THE PISS OUTTA THEM GAULS"

"bitch you signed a treaty it's on camera"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lucius Vorenus, twitter: the heroes of the 13th Legion would never engage in petty looting and thievery amidst the sacred halls of the Roman Senate! We are but patriots come to restore the Republic!
Titus Pullo, livestreaming with selfie stick: HAHAHA I got Cato's scroll!! This is Cato's own scroll! I took this, Titus Pullo of the 13th Legion!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vespasian would be good on twitter. Cicero would be a blue checkmark who posts only 1/48 threads, but you follow anyway because sometimes he posts one hell of a burn.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The chuds would go absolutely shithouse for Basil II. Make Bulgaria Blind Again.

that story is hella apocryphal and the grand blinding absolutely didn't happen but still. Really most of the populist emperors would have rocked that poo poo

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

euphronius posted:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres /1

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's time to remember about The Photoreal Emperor Project again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What’s the thread’s opinion on the Tusculum portrait?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looks like Caesar to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Didn't turn out well. Kind of a bust.