Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Ossoff just pulled ahead even more by like 8k votes. This is looking to go out of recount range by the time all votes are counted :agesilaus:

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Now that I think about it, Bernie Sanders could single handedly demand a 2K check vote or M4A vote by withholding his support for speaker. The power of a single senator has never been greater.

But then, he'd actually have to be willing to hand over majority leader to Mitch, and I don't think he's got the chutzpah.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

It took an Abrams to finish what a Sherman started

gently caress yeah this is an awesome post. :hellyeah:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar:

WE. WON. THE. SENATE.

:kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar: :kheldragar:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As a Georgia voter, here is my message to all the crestfallen Republicans throughout the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykAXB3JFy4

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Now that I think about it, Bernie Sanders could single handedly demand a 2K check vote or M4A vote by withholding his support for speaker. The power of a single senator has never been greater.

But then, he'd actually have to be willing to hand over majority leader to Mitch, and I don't think he's got the chutzpah.

Yeah, probably not. On the other hand, he is going to still be chair of the budget committee, presumably. So he’ll still have a pretty big platform to push for these things. I really hope he makes the most of it, and doesn’t just play nice.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Proud of my state. We actually didn't let the nation down this time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

blossommirage posted:

Proud of my state. We actually didn't let the nation down this time.
I might just consider moving in with my carpetbag uncle in Marietta when I decide to move out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TulliusCicero posted:

What did Stacey Abrams do exactly? I keep seeing this be repeated but I don't understand what she actually did.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

punk rebel ecks posted:

What did Stacey Abrams do exactly? I keep seeing this be repeated but I don't understand what she actually did.

Pursued lawsuits over the last few years that have partially reformed our historically awful election oversight and voter purging/suppression problems

she also GOTV really god drat hard

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

punk rebel ecks posted:

After losing or "losing" to Kemp in the last Gubernatorial cycle (depending on how you look at it), she launched a grassroots movement in Georgia targeting poorer, blacker, and other under-represented communities to: get rid of outdated election tech, have the people become more active in their communities to encourage more engaged local governance, and to actively help change registrations to stop disenfranchisement (roll purges etc). Also going strongly against the GA bill that listed crimes against cops as hate crimes.

And received and then disbursed a bunch of money in the states that were won by slim margins, including the two races that may have been won tonight. She didn't McGrath it, she spent a TON of money in this cycle.

e: on top of just doing a bunch of good stuff - she's an excellent, very shrewd politician who really seems to understand how the levers of power work. Unfortunately she ran in GA in 2016 2018.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 6, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/edcitoo/status/1346670953112203267?s=20

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Pursued lawsuits over the last few years that have partially reformed our historically awful election oversight and voter purging/suppression problems

She definitely emailed me every few days for a donation. Glad to see them finally paying off for once!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

The grassroots effort to upend Georgia's political compass has been a sight to behold. It got buried a bit on election night because Georgia wasn't the deciding state, but it sure won't go unnoticed after tonight.

Well done Georgia.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I moved from New York to Georgia less than a year ago and never in my wildest dreams did I think our votes would matter this much. Feels good :unsmith:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

That just means it’s Av sized.

Admins, make it TuliusCicero’s av please.

the secret 21st angel

:getin:

You folks are awesome

This has been a very lovely holiday season for me personally, so this election was a boon

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

nachos posted:

I moved from New York to Georgia less than a year ago and never in my wildest dreams did I think our votes would matter this much. Feels good :unsmith:

Welcome to the state!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. Would be loving hilarious though. Or, chaos option, R's see the way the wind is blowing and cross over to the winning team.

Senate Majority Leader McConnell (D-KY)

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

nachos posted:

It should feel good. You made a big difference. Congrats!

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

nachos posted:

As a North Carolinian, I’m very jealous. I never thought Georgia would go blue before us. But I guess that’s what happens when you get good candidates like Warnock and we get wastes of oxygen like Cunningham.

Here’s hoping for Jeff Jackson in ‘22.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don’t think anyone in either party will flip but I think the most likely if it were to happen is Romney becoming an Independent and caucusing with the Democrats

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I now accept that GA is on track to being a purple state. All it took was the Herculean effort from Abrams, a literal blatant criminal president, and literal blatant criminal senators to make people in the state of GA get blue results in statewide elections. I’m excited to see the turtle flipped. Most of all I am excited to be disappointed for the next two years by dems instead of furious/horrified by repubs.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Mons Hubris posted:

I don’t think anyone in either party will flip but I think the most likely if it were to happen is Romney becoming an Independent and caucusing with the Democrats

That'd be fun. Obviously it wouldn't say good things about the Democrats if Mr. I Like Firing Binders Full of 47% Etch-A-Sketches of a Dog on a Car is now on their side, but nothing we didn't already know.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Osoff declaring victory before its been called

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

TulliusCicero posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

So happy Warnock won and showed that grifting demon Rapunzel the door. Pulling hard for Ossoff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

holy poo poo did we win

like actually????

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mons Hubris posted:

I might be totally off, but I don't think Utah voters would tolerate Romney leaving the party no matter how Mormon he is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The best you could expect from Romney is that he won't oppose some cabinet + federal judiciary appointments, expecting anything more than that is crazy talk.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1346725313758298112?s=19

Nate stop. I can only take so much

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
It is extremely Chatham County for us to just call it a night and have a nap, wrap things up in the morning.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So I'm not sure which thread is the best for this question...

Up until today, I noticed a lot of resentment against Ossoff for being a pretty lackluster candidate and maybe someone who just got the nomination because the DNC liked him. I don't know the whole story on the primary, though. Did he muscle someone else out who might have been a better senator? I got the impression that he was basically in the position he was because he was willing to run in a special election that no one expected to be close and no one else wanted to run int and then he did better than expected.

I can understand not being thrilled with him, but to a certain extent I wonder who else was actually eager to show up.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Like ludicrously, crazy hard. 98% of eligible Georgians are registered to vote.

She also pioneered (with several other people) a new kind of GOTV operation that happens in person but is way more active than just door knocking and includes basically talking to people about how to vote effectively and offering tools like a ride to the polls, finding your (early or not) polling place, and how to track your mail in ballot. They then follow up to help again, even if it's with really hard stuff like curing a mail in ballot.

And it works really well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What happens to Romney etc is that the Lincoln Project takes it’s mask off and begins running much less fashy billionaire lovers against these idiot 4chan shitposters who fell into Congress and against vulnerable seats in the blue majority alike. That’s why Paul Ryan re-emerged with an editorial the other day. They’re building a group of boring arch-conservatives from vulnerable states in case they have to launch a “Lincoln Party” or whatever.

And the GOP goes back to what it was before they saw their base get rock-hard from Sarah Palin smearing the news and hype the partisan divide as civil war causing stuff. Praising billionaires and war crimes without trying to openly stoke hate group violence within their own community.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Craptacular! posted:

What happens to Romney etc is that the Lincoln Project takes it’s mask off and begins running much less fashy billionaire lovers against these idiot 4chan shitposters who fell into Congress and against vulnerable seats in the blue majority alike. That’s why Paul Ryan re-emerged with an editorial the other day. They’re building a group of boring arch-conservatives from vulnerable states in case they have to launch a “Lincoln Party” or whatever.

And the GOP goes back to what it was before they saw their base get rock-hard from Sarah Palin smearing the news and hype the partisan divide as civil war causing stuff.

Yeah probably but I’m not sure the GOP can go back to what it was before Palin now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
some of this i think depends on what trump himself decides to do moving forward, honestly

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Centurium posted:

Like ludicrously, crazy hard. 98% of eligible Georgians are registered to vote.

She also pioneered (with several other people) a new kind of GOTV operation that happens in person but is way more active than just door knocking and includes basically talking to people about how to vote effectively and offering tools like a ride to the polls, finding your (early or not) polling place, and how to track your mail in ballot. They then follow up to help again, even if it's with really hard stuff like curing a mail in ballot.

And it works really well.

Will this mean that Stacey will gain more influence in the Democratic Party to strengthen their vote in other states too?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah probably but I’m not sure the GOP can go back to what it was before Palin now.

Depends on what happens now that Trump’s mutants are disengaged from politics again. Some of those people are the eternal base of the party and just go along with whatever is served up, but are there enough of them left?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Trump is hosed

Mitch GOP will blame him

He's going to be under investigation as soon as he's out of office

He has now angered the GOP that could have obstructed for him

The GOP is headed for civil war :munch:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

nachos posted:

We’ve been here about 8 years and never thought our votes would matter outside local elections. I helped a man that was wrongfully imprisoned for 43 years vote both for Biden and then in this runoff, man finally got to vote for the first time ever and it mattered twice.

Feels good to feel good, even if momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

So I'm not sure which thread is the best for this question...

Up until today, I noticed a lot of resentment against Ossoff for being a pretty lackluster candidate and maybe someone who just got the nomination because the DNC liked him. I don't know the whole story on the primary, though. Did he muscle someone else out who might have been a better senator? I got the impression that he was basically in the position he was because he was willing to run in a special election that no one expected to be close and no one else wanted to run int and then he did better than expected.

I can understand not being thrilled with him, but to a certain extent I wonder who else was actually eager to show up.

A big issue is that running in an election is a grueling campaign that, usually, ends with national humiliation. Ossof was going up against an incumbent senator in what was considered a red state where he had maybe a 5% chance of squeaking it out. He'd built up name recognition and a fundraising apparatus from his special election run, which discouraged other Democrats from going for the same race, and there was also a separate senate race against a much weaker incumbent that was considered slightly more winnable.

Irony is he's in a better position than Warnock now because he has a full six year term while Warnock needs to win a new term in '22, and because of obscure rules of how the senate calculates seniority he is now possibly the senior senator from Georgia.