Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
There was a PC game a while back that a lot of people called the screaming simulator because it had a dedicated voice button to either yell or scream for your side. Think it was Chivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
oh man, I really miss bind mouse4 "vocalize playerdeath"

my old Logitech MX518 mouse has a broken side button from mashing it constantly for a couple of months while that was a thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fond memories of UT99 and making my character say “I’m on fire!” every time I died by falling in lava

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

jonsicoli posted:

Why is completely earnest screaming in video games so loving funny

It's because they always stop, then start a completely different scream. And are almost always behaving completely normally, other than the scream.

Regular folks screaming (At least in movies) tends to be one long panicky thing with brief pauses for breath, while running away or scrabbling helplessly at a sealed door etc. Video Game characters act like Kevin Mcallistair, stand still, one long scream then (optionally) react.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

cage-free egghead posted:

There was a PC game a while back that a lot of people called the screaming simulator because it had a dedicated voice button to either yell or scream for your side. Think it was Chivalry.

Yes, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and its weird but equally screamy spin-off Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior. And nowadays there's Mordhau which is Chivalry's spiritual successor, screaming included. Also, allow me to quote my old post:

Nordick posted:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare had, for a time, a bug where characters who died of burn damage would just keep screaming even after dying, all the way until their corpse despawned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mhD_NzqvU

It was a sad day when it was patched out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Battle Of Screaming Corpses was one of the most terrible massacres of the Great War.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3VZDb7pj4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I literally did this, except by accident, when I played Red Faction.

You can't remove satchel charges once you've thrown them, only detonate them. And you can't progress through the level unless you finished talking with that NPC.

I lost so much progress :sigh:

Never even finished the game either, because the end bosses were ridiculous bullet sponges and the final set piece is a loving puzzle game out of nowhere. I just went 'gently caress this' and stopped playing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Red Faction also has an infamous glitch that causes your submarine to explode immediately, if your frame rate is above 30 or something.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Elfface posted:

Video Game characters act like Kevin Mcallistair, stand still, one long scream then (optionally) react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibG5oW5yPM

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Binding "pills here" to mousewheel in L4D1 and just spending a whole session incessantly scrubbing up and down... that was the good poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had this very thing in mind but lacked the motivation to find it, thank you for saving me the effort :tipshat:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is a repeat, but I suddenly recall a glitch I had in one of the Sims games (3, I think), where you could buy a "immortality potion" that zeroed out whatever life stage you were in. A day before you turned into an Elder? Bam, you're back to freshly adult.

A glitch I had was that the miracle glowing effect that corresponded with consuming the potion never went away on one of my characters. "Yeah, that's Bob, just ignore that his chest is glowing blue forever. It's his vibe."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pretty good posted:

Binding "pills here" to mousewheel in L4D1 and just spending a whole session incessantly scrubbing up and down... that was the good poo poo

my personal choice in l4d2 was binding the chainsaw voice lines to mouse1 along with +attack. the lines wouldn't play until the AI director decided things were hectic enough to merit it, but its measurement of "hectic" was... idiosyncratic at best. so you'd be walking along in relative quiet, picking off the occasional zombie, and then suddenly nick would scream YEAAAAAAAAAAH DIE DIE DIE at the top of his lungs

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Slab Bulkhead!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Did I post this already? Somebody must have posted it. Doesn't matter, it came up on my feed again and it's still funny. Unmute

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qf84skJ89E1ujkkfn.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is there a known lighting bug in AC Odyssey, or maybe one that pops up when playing it on the new consoles? Every once in a while I'll just randomly hit a point at the right sun angle and the brightness and bloom just go nuts, this was just me walking into a random cave somewhere with afternoon sun shining in. I've only seen it since I picked the game back up on PS5 though, not when I was on 4. Not a complaint, having a supernova go off at one of the big tragic plot points was pretty entertaining.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's just Surtr trying to start Ragnarok early.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1346802566332485633

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This happens all the time on rocky outcrops. If you try jumping on one and miss, you'll slide down the side and where the angle meets the ground it will kill you. It basically can't handle you standing in any kind of V in the geometry.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Clearly if V meets a V they become a W, but that's the sequel so can't be playing it yet.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

flavor.flv posted:

Did I post this already? Somebody must have posted it. Doesn't matter, it came up on my feed again and it's still funny. Unmute

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qf84skJ89E1ujkkfn.mp4

The pikeman who shows up at the end to just kinda hang around impatiently and wait for his friends to stop showing off makes it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Elfface posted:

Clearly if V meets a V they become a W, but that's the sequel so can't be playing it yet.

V has (be)come two.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Whybird posted:

The pikeman who shows up at the end to just kinda hang around impatiently and wait for his friends to stop showing off makes it.

His boss is gonna be so mad if it doesn't look like he's working

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

haveblue posted:

Eternal Darkness could do a dead-on impression of a CRT losing power, but that hasn’t really aged well

People think they want an Eternal Darkness followup but we know all of the tricks now, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The novelty of it did do a lot to make it interesting.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Vandar posted:

People think they want an Eternal Darkness followup but we know all of the tricks now, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

They also want new tricks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The only way to justify a sequel to Eternal Darkness is by handing the development to :yokotaro:, maybe with Kojima advising

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I want the player character to start seeing things from the ineffable horror and madness of it all, not myself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

V has (be)come two.

Goddammit :arghfist:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Casnorf posted:

They also want new tricks.

It’s this.

There’s a lot you could do with it these days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s this.

The Chaos Mod for GTA5 comes to mind.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s this.

I feel like the fact people would be going into it expecting the sequel to "that game that broke the fourth wall and messed with you" would defang any new tricks they could come up with. That stuff only works when you're not expecting it.

It would still be kind of fun, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

I feel like the fact people would be going into it expecting the sequel to "that game that broke the fourth wall and messed with you" would defang any new tricks they could come up with. That stuff only works when you're not expecting it.

It would still be kind of fun, though.

Sure, I wouldn't want a direct sequel because of that, I'm just eager for 4th wall breaking elements.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Captain Monkey posted:

Sure, I wouldn't want a direct sequel because of that, I'm just eager for 4th wall breaking elements.

There's honestly been plenty of that, it's just that people have done the smart thing of having it be brief sections in largely 'straight' games, rather than a single game that can become known for it.

Undertale's neutral ending comes to mind, using things like crashes to desktop and suddenly acknowledging the save system. And of course, the Scarecrow sequences in the Arkham games.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

iirc the fake computer crash from the first Arkham game caused some players to just immediately shut the game down and complain that it broke their graphics cards.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FutonForensic posted:

iirc the fake computer crash from the first Arkham game caused some players to just immediately shut the game down and complain that it broke their graphics cards.

did steam even have refunds yet when that game came out? they used to just tell you to suck an egg if you didn't like the broken game they sold you.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Frankly if you shut down a game instantly and complain its broken after one crash you probably are not that invested in it these days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The unexpected downside of successfully tricking people into thinking that their computer crashed: people actually think their computer crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My PS3 overheated and shut down like an hour before I got to that point so I legit thought it was done for good. I stuck with it though and was pleasantly surprised that it was just trickery.