Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My brother watches basically nothing but whatever's on Primetime tv (including new Simpsons) and big Hollywood superhero movies, then bitches endlessly that stuff sucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Springfieldalbums is a good Instagram follow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

e.pilot posted:

I hate how rare this has become on modern TV. Everything is a season long if not series long arc that ends up being an absurd time investment for even the most mundane of shows. And the payoff at the end is almost never worth it. Bring back singular self encapsulated episodes, with maybe occasional 2 parters.

I feel like there's lots of comedies that still work like this. Dramas on the other hand should be series long arcs imo, it's far better than trying to establish and conclude a story in 45-60 minutes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fact that so many people just put shows on as a background thing or to half-watch while loving around on their phone explains so much of our media landscape. It also explains why so many shows that actually have plots and characters result in the internet being filled with people saying that show is confusing and hard to follow and youtube being filled with "X explained" videos where they just tell you the plot of a movie or TV show.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I looked up the top rated shows of the last TV season and there are apparently like 5 different shows about various public services in Chicago, multiple doctor and FBI shows and some show based on the real life of Doctor Phil. And these are like the highest rated shows on television. I can not name one person I've ever met that's talked about any of this poo poo. When I used to work in an office with a bunch of random middle aged folks they just watched whatever primetime bullshit was on the networks. I mean all things considered the Simpsons may suck now but does it really suck in comparison to watching a wish fulfillment show about what Dr Phil dreamed of being like? They've gotta put something on in the bg while they post Qanon minion memes to facebook

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Abe Simpson: Terrible father, unfaithful husband, semi-competent cannibal

I enjoyed the phrasing.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

that IS hotdogs on the bottom right, yeah?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Baronjutter posted:

The fact that so many people just put shows on as a background thing or to half-watch while loving around on their phone explains so much of our media landscape. It also explains why so many shows that actually have plots and characters result in the internet being filled with people saying that show is confusing and hard to follow and youtube being filled with "X explained" videos where they just tell you the plot of a movie or TV show.

I can't dig up the article, but years ago, I read a Hollywood writer who described submitting a script for one of those interchangeable police procedurals and getting lambasted by their editor because "You have to be able to follow the plot while you're busing cooking in the kitchen"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they should make a contest to be the new simpsons voice actor. put together old episodes with the new actors, make an entire episode where each scene has a new actor playing the role that kind of thing

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

People have been putting the TV on as background noise since TV existed, why is everyone acting like this is an invention of the cell phone age?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Baronjutter posted:

Oh man, my ex and I watched Suspiria together and she was confused by it, so we watched a "Suspiria explained" video the next day and it just about killed me. Not only was the "explanation" nothing but a point-by-point summary of the surface-level plot, the presenter explicitly called out subtle elements that were representative of the deeper themes and actually might warrant exploration, saying that they were just meaningless junk that pulled the movie down.

I was screaming internally the whole way through, but my ex said that it made the movie much clearer.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

This frame feels familiar

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's also a huge audience (my dad and brother among them) that has enjoyed the last 20 years of episodes and would be very confused if you told them you thought the show is unwatchable after season X or Y.

You know, idiots.

so they do exist

I have never seen nor heard of these people, even if I logically know they must be out there or the money would have dried up by now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Im sure the Simpsons is a bad cartoon right now, the question is whether it's actually bad in comparison to all the other bad cartoons I dont watch either.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
From what I can tell Bobs Burgers is supposed to be the new animated family network king but I couldn't get into it. I assume its because it's not for me and I am old. But like do people who like Bobs Burgers also hate new simpsons or are new simpsons just a sort of also-ran that some BB fans also like?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Bob's Burgers is amazing and nu-Simpsons sucks rear end

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MunchE posted:

I looked up the top rated shows of the last TV season and there are apparently like 5 different shows about various public services in Chicago, multiple doctor and FBI shows and some show based on the real life of Doctor Phil. And these are like the highest rated shows on television. I can not name one person I've ever met that's talked about any of this poo poo. When I used to work in an office with a bunch of random middle aged folks they just watched whatever primetime bullshit was on the networks. I mean all things considered the Simpsons may suck now but does it really suck in comparison to watching a wish fulfillment show about what Dr Phil dreamed of being like? They've gotta put something on in the bg while they post Qanon minion memes to facebook

Pretty sure that's just what the olds love to watch. See also: Young Sheldon.

Baronjutter posted:

The thing that drives me up the wall is when a new character appears on screen without being explained, and (old) people start asking "wait, who's that??". Maybe if we watch, we'll find out!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

From what I can tell Bobs Burgers is supposed to be the new animated family network king but I couldn't get into it. I assume its because it's not for me and I am old. But like do people who like Bobs Burgers also hate new simpsons or are new simpsons just a sort of also-ran that some BB fans also like?

Bob's Burgers is comfort food. It's cute and endearing, the characters are likable idiots and love each other and it's just so drat wholesome, but well written enough to have a few laughs and nothing that makes you feel insulted or like it thinks it's more 100X more clever than it actually is. It's like the animated equivalent of the Bob Newhart Show. The weird thing about Bob's Burgers versus the Simpsons is that BB arrived fully formed and hasn't really changed much at all in like, a dozen seasons. If you watched the first episode and the most recent episode back to back, you wouldn't notice a jarring difference in tone, style, characterization, or writing.

Zombie Simpsons is none of those things.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Show, so you could try clicking the link instead of whining into the void but what do I know.

Not much, because nothing about that was whining.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I guess I'm old too and I love it. I've been alive longer than the Simpsons and I've definitely felt it's simply existed for the last 20+ years but I don't think Bobs Burgers had anything to do with that opinion.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 6, 2021

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

ChesterJT posted:

Not much, because nothing about that was whining.

Yeah sorry that was way more rude than it needed to be, I was just having one of those days

From now on I will listen to the radical dude in my mind before posting and remember:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I'm glad the dr Katz home movies guy has another successful show :kiddo:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I'm glad the dr Katz home movies guy has another successful show :kiddo:

H. Jon Benjamin has several successful shows.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Does dr katz hold up? Home movies is still great but I haven’t rewatched from katz or duckman since I was a teenager

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Some Goon posted:

He's great as Dr. Orpheus' master in Venture Brothers

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Some Goon posted:

i meant loren bouchard

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My main problem with BB is that I hear Coach McGuirk and want more Coach McGuirk and I'm never gonna get it. My next two problems are that I dont find Mirman or Schaal funny in just about anything.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

ikanreed posted:

I can't dig up the article, but years ago, I read a Hollywood writer who described submitting a script for one of those interchangeable police procedurals and getting lambasted by their editor because "You have to be able to follow the plot while you're busing cooking in the kitchen"

I know it's the reason Police Squad! was cancelled

quote:

ABC announced the cancellation of Police Squad! after four of its six episodes had aired in March 1982. The final two episodes were aired that summer. According to the DVD commentary for "A Substantial Gift" (Episode 1), then-ABC entertainment president Tony Thomopoulos said that Police Squad! was canceled because "the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it," meaning that the viewer had to pay very close attention to the show in order to get much of the humor, while most other TV shows did not demand as much effort from the viewer. In its annual "Cheers and Jeers" issue, TV Guide magazine called the explanation for the cancellation "the most stupid reason a network ever gave for ending a series."

and by some weird coincidence bringing it back to this thread, the next paragraph on the wiki is a quote from Matt Groening talking about it...

quote:

Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons, has said, "If Police Squad! had been made twenty years later, it would have been a smash. It was before its time. In 1982 your average viewer was unable to cope with its pace, its quick-fire jokes. But these days they'd have no problems keeping up, I think we've proved that."

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's not just boomers, it's more just general dumbness. I once overheard coworkers talking on a Monday about watching Simpsons the previous night. Except from how they described it they didn't even "watch" it - they put it on in the background while they were cooking or playing board games or something. The coworker explicitly said it's good for this purpose.

I think lots of people "watch" the show like that. Put it on because they remember it's funny and they liked it as a kid, so use it as background noise. Even though modern episodes aren't funny, I bet there's still 1 or 2 low effort chuckle jokes per episode and that's more than enough for the purpose of background noise.
There's a kind of person who enjoys the experience of actively watching current simpsons on the exact same level as the good seasons*. A decade or so ago I was over at an acquaintance's house and her then-early-30s sister was watching a new episode. It was the one where homer and marge were at college in the 90s, and she and her boyfriend laughed pretty much the whole way through. For a lot of people, the characters and the world they inhabit are just inherently Very Funny no matter what.

*and they often even prefer it because the voices don't sound "weird" and the animation is "better"

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Dragonstoned posted:

I know it's the reason Police Squad! was cancelled

and by some weird coincidence bringing it back to this thread, the next paragraph on the wiki is a quote from Matt Groening talking about it...

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

funny simpsons faces

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm the thrown baby

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mood

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I'm due for a rewatch. I should be watching quality content instead of this dumb poo poo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Police squad is so goddamn good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If it had run long it could have got stale. It needed more, but not masses more.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TK-42-1 posted:

Police squad is so goddamn good.

Need to dust my DVD off too, since I am stuck again doing nothing.

Of course this implies I did things before.

goatface posted:

If it had run long it could have got stale. It needed more, but not masses more.

Certainly six more episodes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

goatface posted:

The naked gun movies were pretty solid all the way through.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

i meant loren bouchard

At first I set out to :thejoke:, but then I actually couldn't tell because Jon Benjamin has been in all of his shows.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

pablo gbscobar posted:

This frame feels familiar

this rules tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

The naked gun movies were pretty solid all the way through.

I remember the third one being questionable, but I've not watched them in years.