Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Taffer posted:

So you're in space, your ship crashed and a bunch of your stuff is gone - you have to go back down to nauvis, build an entire new rocket, grab all the stuff you lost and forgot and do it again. Rinse and repeat a couple times at least. And you never get a shortcut - every time you need to go to your station (or back to nauvis) you have to do another extremely expensive launch just to go tweak a machine or grab something. And this is all before you even get to the automation stuff to finally keep your station supplied with production resources. Basically, to go through this process without being massively punished you'd have to have a perfect spreadsheet of every material you'd need to take with you on your first launch (they have a FAQ with a list, but should that really be necessary? And it's incomplete anyway) - and even if you do that, you'll still get screwed over by a ton of your first-launch supplies going boom.

FYI if it's just to tweak a machine, the satellite uplink (press N) should be enough to do anything but attach wires (though wire shortcuts should let you do that too). You still need a functioning robot network to place entities and it doesn't solve resources, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I missed bot chat, but my solution to "how many bots do I need?" was, have your assemblers making construction and logi bots, both inserting into their own limited chests, then inserting into the roboport. Now, wire the roboport to the inserters going into said roboport. The roboport can be set to output a signal based on total number of each type of bot, and also number of each bot that's available. So for the former, if you have 500 total logi bots, set to signal X, it'll output X(500) as a signal. For the latter, if you have 500 logibots, set to signal Z, and suddenly 495 of them go into active use, it'll output Z(5).

So, what I do is wire up the inserters for each bot type to the roboport and set them so that when the available bots of their respective types is >5, enable. So when demand for a type of bot exceeds the number available, more are added until the demand is met. Super clean solution, and it won't clog up the roboports unless you're woefully under-utilizing them.

Speaking of, another fun thing I learned on my last run was that roboports can be wired up to output the contents of their connected logi network to the circuits. This is great for keeping X number of things built, or for setting filters for what to remove from a building train that arrives at a remote outpost. Another thing I learned is that inserters can be WIRELESSLY HOOKED INTO THE LOGI NETWORK THEY RESIDE IN. Amazing for keeping passive provider chests full of X number of things in a mall, without needing poo poo tons of wires.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tesla was right posted:

Yep, factorio savegames are extremely robust.

Edit: also if you have to go unmodded for achievement or multiplayer reasons, picking a quadrant of the map to write reminders in also helps.

That's what I was doing on my last save, just marking up reminders all over the place. Something more robust for detail is just helpful. Any particular suggestions?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Another thing I learned is that inserters can be WIRELESSLY HOOKED INTO THE LOGI NETWORK THEY RESIDE IN. Amazing for keeping passive provider chests full of X number of things in a mall, without needing poo poo tons of wires.

How is this done? Do you just mean wiring them to a roboport or something else?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Taffer posted:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
If they're in range of a logi network you don't need to wire them up, just click the inserter and check the box

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's amazing, I had no idea. I've been doing fiddly mall wiring for no reason all this time!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Taffer posted:

I just checked this, when you select an inserter, the middle of the three buttons in the top-right corner of its detail pane just connects the inserter's control conditions to the logistics network as if you had wired it to a chest, which I was also completely unaware of :aaaaa:

Also, w/r/t popping between Nauvis and its Orbital, if you plop one of the Space Capsules required for a cargo rocket down and ride in it, you get a Launch button which will take you back to the 'nearest surface,' basically from an orbital platform to its planet or moon, so you don't have to build and fuel an entire rocket to get planetside. The capsule even has an inventory; I've been stuffing mine (and my personal inventory) with empty barrels to be dispersed back into my factory for fluid launches. It's a little inconvenient but definitely not the monumental hassle that building a full rocket for every return is.

Aaaaaand, FOR SURE most of my return trips were because something was hosed up about logic wiring between the inserters loading up the Delivery Cannons and the receiver structures on the platform, usually a single missed connection leading to them never receiving the in-stock data they were listening for. In particular, due to the small stack size of barrels, my fluid receiving areas were prone to filling up and turning the Delivery Pods into excruciatingly expensive artillery shells.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's very good to know, might convince me to keep trucking with the mod despite my complaints, thanks.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Taffer posted:

Good points about the worst points of Space Exploration.

You're missing one of the more hilarious aspects of that particular mod author: the restrictive license he adds to all of his mods.

From https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-exploration linked under the 'License' field...just...click on it, it's like a page, some light reading.

He's definitely put in a ton of work in his mods, and on a certain level I can appreciate it. There's just some disconnect there where he's the type of person that if he made a video game himself, he wouldn't allow others to mod it (yet he's actively working in a modding community).

If Factorio's developers had adopted his attitudes, Factorio would be a poorer game for it; and I don't see how he reconciles his preferred license with the ecosystem his mods live within.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

LonsomeSon posted:

Aaaaaand, FOR SURE most of my return trips were because something was hosed up about logic wiring between the inserters loading up the Delivery Cannons and the receiver structures on the platform, usually a single missed connection leading to them never receiving the in-stock data they were listening for. In particular, due to the small stack size of barrels, my fluid receiving areas were particularly prone to filling up and turning the Delivery Pods into excruciatingly expensive artillery shells.

Protip for this: next to the receiver chests, put a constant combinator with the negative of the threshold you want to keep (like, sulfuric acid barrel -200) and put it on the same wire as from the chests to the aai transmitter. Then your delivery cannon enable logic can be sulfuric acid < 0, which a) makes it fail-safe if the transmitter is messed up or circuits are messed up, because “no signal” is value 0 so the enable won’t go; and b) means that when you’re at the cannon site you can put a circuit wire to some random power pole so you can mouse over it and see at a glance what’s not fulfilled rather than having to go to sat view every time

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

That's what I was doing on my last save, just marking up reminders all over the place. Something more robust for detail is just helpful. Any particular suggestions?

I'm using the one called " √ Todo List"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Continuing on this spaghetti save and Christ. Never not doing a bus for my bootstrap base going forward. Explicitly avoiding main buses is a nightmare right now. Finally have logistics bots starting, about to try to leap to nuclear if I can get the resources together... slowly running out of my railworld start resources & not completely refactoring remote smelting when it's time to switch to electric, plus no idea how the hell to set up a railroad-centric base.

This is much harder and less fun than last time around.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm brand new to Factorio after cutting my teeth on Satisfactory - translating everything to 2 dimensions has been a challenge, but a welcome one!

Anyway I found the difference between a couple of my early-game still-learning factory builds pretty pretty entertaining:

Off ADHD meds:

Everything tries to be its own discreet production nightmare and I have to spaghettify my conveyors to get things where I need them

On ADHD meds:

A clear plan with dedicated production areas, sensible logistics, and room to expand

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

God, same. The first day I started my meds I sat down for 10 hours and organized out a ton of production lines and logistics. Being off them right now is a contributor to the worst of the spaghetti here.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm brand new to Factorio after cutting my teeth on Satisfactory - translating everything to 2 dimensions has been a challenge, but a welcome one!

Anyway I found the difference between a couple of my early-game still-learning factory builds pretty pretty entertaining:

Off ADHD meds:

Everything tries to be its own discreet production nightmare and I have to spaghettify my conveyors to get things where I need them

On ADHD meds:

A clear plan with dedicated production areas, sensible logistics, and room to expand

Same tip I gave Kvlt! earlier this week:

Tamba posted:

A water pump can support 20 boilers (and each boiler makes enough steam for 2 turbines), so you should feed the coal in from below and leave the space to the right for more boilers/turbines.
So right now you have more water than you need, but those turbines wont actually be able to work if you stress them. Move some of them to the other boilers.
Oh wait, they're connected with pipes, that should work until you hit the capacity of the pipe. But you could connect 2 turbines directly to each boiler to make sure you keep the right ratio.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 6, 2021

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
My favorite part of the Krastorio(1)/Space Exploration game I did with my friend was when one of our rockets crash-landed in Nauvis Orbit, wiping out part of our space scaffolding but giving us a perfectly useable patch of earth right in the middle of our scaffolding. In Space Exploration, most planet-based buildings cannot be constructed in space, and that is enforced by restricting what kind of ground you can build on. By glitching this patch of earth into space, we were able to get easy access to air filters for Nitrogen and Oxygen in space (because of those strong breezes). :downs:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I need a favor, I cannot get the mods.factorio.com web server to actually send me a file, there is some sort of error and the transfer always times out before I get halfway through. I have never seen this before, I am assuming they just hosed something up on their side.

If anyone has the Krastorio2_1.0.22.zip mod file and is able to rehost it on somewhere on an actual working web server I would really like to check out this mod.

This isn't filez, their server is just broken for me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

satisfactory has made me start playing this as well, gonna post my lovely factory spaghetti for you all to appreciate!

heres the start. managed to get red science automated, and self sustaining boilers.

i feel like im gonna run out of room for my furnaces eventually

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I need a favor, I cannot get the mods.factorio.com web server to actually send me a file, there is some sort of error and the transfer always times out before I get halfway through. I have never seen this before, I am assuming they just hosed something up on their side.

If anyone has the Krastorio2_1.0.22.zip mod file and is able to rehost it on somewhere on an actual working web server I would really like to check out this mod.

This isn't filez, their server is just broken for me.

Sure, try this:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3ffl6t8l5wa59kr/Krastorio2_1.0.22.zip/file

Does the ingame downloader not work either? I've only ever used the website to downgrade to older versions of mods when something was broken.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

i feel like im gonna run out of room for my furnaces eventually

Building myself into a corner is about when I usually abandon the rotting emptied husk of the factory to the elements, and go to blight the earth elsewhere

Ironically, now that I have logistics bots building a few of the more pain-in-the-rear end things my base looks messier than ever. I think it’s time to actually start mil science and go blow up some peaceful biters, make some more space, and do this properly

(e) What does “properly” done logibot usage look like, anyway, I’ve got no sense of the organization here

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
who else makes a memorial out of their spaceship crash? I always try to either put the rocket silo by it, or decorate it with lights & fancy concretes

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Ciaphas posted:

(e) What does “properly” done logibot usage look like, anyway, I’ve got no sense of the organization here

Train unloader - row of roboports - a few lines of beaconed production - row of roboports - train loader. Repeat until your ups collapses/you get bored.

The other thing to build is a replica of your crafting menu using assemblers. aka the "make everything".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Train unloader - row of roboports - a few lines of beaconed production - row of roboports - train loader. Repeat until your ups collapses/you get bored.

The other thing to build is a replica of your crafting menu using assemblers. aka the "make everything".
I don't think I've ever built a beacon, and only build production 1 modules 'cos one of the science packs called for em, so "lines of beaconed production" doesn't make much sense to me I'm afraid :v:

(e) Oddly enough despite having nuclear power and robotics running I haven't built any trains yet, either. I'm suffering for copper and steel, so I guess it's time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

any semblance of organization in my factory has gone out the window, I just plopped this at the start of the main bus because I could

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Seeing others with spaghetti and imperfect bases brings me joy.
Next time I play I might try to bootstrap to a reactor and, once I'm off coal, figure out how the hell you actually do a railworld base or split production with multiple inputs across multiple train connections...

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boo_radley posted:

who else makes a memorial out of their spaceship crash? I always try to either put the rocket silo by it, or decorate it with lights & fancy concretes

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only person who does this. Especially now that I started a K2 run which adds in the ship parts from the tutorial as a kind of jump start.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Tamba posted:

Sure, try this:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3ffl6t8l5wa59kr/Krastorio2_1.0.22.zip/file

Does the ingame downloader not work either? I've only ever used the website to downgrade to older versions of mods when something was broken.

thanks, this is my first time attempting to install mods and the in game download is timing out as well

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh you sweet summer child

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

KillHour posted:

Oh you sweet summer child
This is probably one of the biggest tips I can give to new Factorio players. When you're building a setup to make a new thing, don't try to squeeze it into the most efficient space possible. You're eventually going to want to make more of that thing, and you'll need open space to increase its production. No, more space than that. Mooooore.

I've been playing Factorio for years and yet my Zachtronics instincts keep kicking in and begging me to make everything use as little space as possible. Fight the urge, you'll thank yourself later!

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
for whatever reason the thought of redoing an existing base keeps me from logging in. I'm all aboard the "move to a new spot, start fresh" train.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is probably one of the biggest tips I can give to new Factorio players. When you're building a setup to make a new thing, don't try to squeeze it into the most efficient space possible. You're eventually going to want to make more of that thing, and you'll need open space to increase its production. No, more space than that. Mooooore.

I've been playing Factorio for years and yet my Zachtronics instincts keep kicking in and begging me to make everything use as little space as possible. Fight the urge, you'll thank yourself later!

I will say that distance is starting to turn into a right fucker with logistics networks :v:

Speaking of logistics: how the gently caress did people play this game before copy, cut, paste, and grid blueprints

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what is a blueprint

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Basically exactly what they sound like, but you can't do anything useful with them until you've got an army of construction robots at your beck and call (e.g. at least blue science, probably gold & purple)

B opens your blueprints menu that's shared between characters, and there're websites for sharing them as text strings for importing

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

what is a blueprint

In short, copy-paste for your factory. You need bots to make it truly useful, but it can be helpful pre-bot in some cases to make copying stuff a little easier by hand.

It also has a nice storage place where you can keep all your good copy-pastes (like rail designs, or smelter designs etc), and you can also import blueprints from others in-game very easily. It's what makes big factories manageable, because building that much by hand would be horror. As you get further in the game you move to higher level factory management, instead of necessarily mucking about with small pieces. If you're the type of person who likes to watch youtube videos (I'm not really, but they can be a good source of info sometimes) you can see people using them to great effect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

making a blueprint that's just a massive tiled grid of miners, conveyors and power poles, and laying it over an entire ore patch in a single click was absolutely revelatory

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

"Pick two"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can still use control x/c/v/z before you unlock blueprints.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
This is my fun microfactory for the evening. It saturates 2 blue belts @ 90 rails/second. I wanted to have something compact that I could use to support an eight assembler purple science factory and\or keep my expansion train fully and quickly stocked with rails.

I wanted something that was approximately symmetrical, could be powered solely by one substation, and not need any belt weaving. I think I could probably trim down the belts used, but I'm happy with my effort for the night :3:

also, I see a lot of blueprints like this, weaving blue and red undergrounds together. I don't think this is a great way to implement heavily beaconded factories because your red UGs are going to slow down. I think there's p a holistically better way to saturate a factory with beacons and maximize inputs, too.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

K8.0 posted:

You can still use control x/c/v/z before you unlock blueprints.

And you can place ghosts to help you plan!