Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Buddy of mine grabbed the PTR and took Hogger for a spin.

Literally.

Hogger can clear waves pretty much for free because of his Tasmanian Devil spin - you just bounce between lane walls until everything's dead. Bonus points: because he's Unstoppable during it and it has a theoretically infinite duration, your lane opponent can't prevent you from doing this. Of course, this leaves you vulnerable to poke, but he generates self-healing constantly, so that's not really that big of a deal.

AtillatheBum posted:

I will say between the increased move speed and the medallion playing KTZ is near pointless now. All he has is the combo and everyone gets a get out of jail free card every 5 minutes. Even with the medallion going away I hope they give him a small buff, just increasing the speed the chain moves at would be enough.

KTZ is an absolute loving nightmare in the right hands and he absolutely does not need a buff like that. If his winrate is struggling at lower skill levels, the safest thing to do would be to buff Death and Decay (and even that would probably have to come with a nerf to his combo because it's just so dangerous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hogger's spin makes him unstoppable?? Never mind i hate him.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

No Wave posted:

Hogger's spin makes him unstoppable?? Never mind i hate him.
spin2win

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

loving unbelievable

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

just absolutely loving incredible

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yo that's dumb

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
NO HANDS 1 V 5 NO HANDS 1 V 5

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
this will not get patched

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
who keeps yelling “patch this” at my house, coward I will never patch this

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/FanHOTS/status/1334052427864051715
turns out hogger is bad. I watched some of the vod and Fan just can't do anything.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Better than yet another 65% winrate hero that dominates the game for months honestly.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It’s kind of hilarious watching an enemy hogger Tasmanian devil right into your own towers and die.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hogger is incredibly strong against low-skill players and not even a presence against high-skill players

So pretty much exactly like the original

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I played Hogger in a few AI games and am still getting a feel for what talents I like best. Garbage fire + Hordapult is great if you can wall someone off in a narrow part of the map between two burning piles of garbage while you whirlwind and make pinball noises. You can very quickly clear a minion wave by dropping burning garbage in the middle of them, slam the minions into the garbage for bonus damage, then drop a dynamite while you mount and run off to another lane. With the "50 rage = 30% faster cooldowns" talent you will have everything up and ready to go by the time you reach the next lane over and can split push this way.

The 1st and 4th level quest talents are both based on hitting a hero, so you can max them out faster than normal against Rexxar, Samuro, Vikings. It's a nice early-mid power spike if you can pull it off.

The Taz spin is like Hanzo's Scatter Arrow. It's extremely easy to gently caress up your aim, especially in the heat of battle. And the windup before you become unstoppable is annoying, similar to how Mal'ganis can get his casts shut down over and over during a match. Large portions of most maps it is hard/impossible to set up a permanent spin, but you can usually get a good one going on objectives and merc camps. Two burning piles of garbage and an endless unstoppable spin is great area denial when you are trying to hold an objective! This worked especially well with Whitemane healing me, and dropping Consecrate if enemies dared to enter The Bone (Gnawing) Zone.

edit: also I am going to have to unlearn the muscle memory to slam 6 for gladiator medallion when I'm fleeing at 10% HP and slowed. I think I've done that at least once in every single match since the patch lol

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 3, 2020

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
With Hogger I have noticed a few times where he is pretty useful. For the punisher map I have seen him perma-spin killing all the objective guys. Also, certain bruiser camps where he can perma spin and solo them pretty fast at level 4. But yeah, he is the first new hero in a long time that was not really op at release.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I've had much success playing him like a solo pushing bruiser! Focus on clearing waves, perhaps taking the trash fire talent, and take camps as often as possible. The talents that buff the spin don't seem to matter much, as you usually want to use it as on camps, as an escape or as a finisher (and it can do all of them just fine by default). Treat the hoardapult like an emergency (quite low cooldown) escape and you can reliably enrage your opponent enough to make most of your enemies waste their ults trying to get you. Using the extra dynamite talent you can rack up ridiculous damage pushing walls and forts (as you can hit with four explosions on a very short cooldown).
I think the strategy is very dependent on enemy stuns. You should probably play more team-oriented if they have lots, I would guess.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ToxicToast posted:

With Hogger I have noticed a few times where he is pretty useful. For the punisher map I have seen him perma-spin killing all the objective guys. Also, certain bruiser camps where he can perma spin and solo them pretty fast at level 4. But yeah, he is the first new hero in a long time that was not really op at release.

I felt that Mei was pretty balanced on release. She is kind of like Malthael, where her skills/talents can be very powerful against certain heroes. Overall she isn't a big game-changing pick. In most games it is no issue at all. Mei is still an effective tank in QM where you get random teamates and enemies. In ranked games, it can be an important part of the pick/ban cycle. Getting a late pick Mei when the enemy team has autoattack/melee pick can help you out a lot.

Hogger with infinite spin can solo camps, but I feel like his clear time is a lot slower than a dedicated merc camp build on Rexxar or Illidan. It seems more like a niche use than his Big Thing. Hogger with a healer (especially a teamfight focused one like Whitemane or Malfurion) is really good at holding down/denying an objective to the enemy team. Especially with trash fire. You can keep Hordapult ready like Murky's bubble, and just keep hunkering down, delaying until your team gets there. If you dip too low in HP, just Hordapult over a wall to safety and concede it. You can buy your team so much goddamn time to assemble. If they are still loving off somewhere else on the map when you have to flee, they better be toppling a keep or some poo poo. You give them enough time to walk from fountain or the opposite side of the map before you have to retreat.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shockingly, Hoardapult inherits talents, making it much more effective if you spec into it.

Is Mei basically just Arthas+1 when it comes to hero design intent? Anti melee tank? I really like Arthas in general but it just feels like he is missing an engage or hard cc to be a real tank.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mei is almost completely defensive/CC-oriented, whereas Arthas is much more offensively-oriented. Mei excels at saving people, Arthas excels at catching people out with his root and/or walking into the enemy team and killing them.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

You can be a real rear end in a top hat going all in with Sindragosa. Catch a team clumped together trying to defend a keep or just root them from across the map if you get the level 20.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

InformationHigh posted:

You can be a real rear end in a top hat going all in with Sindragosa. Catch a team clumped together trying to defend a keep or just root them from across the map if you get the level 20.

It's also a lot easier to catch people with it when you cast so far back they don't have vision of you. You end up spending a lot of the root time just waddling into battle since you were so far back, but hopefully you set that up with teamates that are ready to drop precision nukes on the rooted enemies. Ragnaros or Kel'Thuzad with their level 20 ult talents :getin:

Posted this a little while back, but full Frostmourne Arthas with the talent that gives you +60% attack speed from enemies being in your aura is my favorite when I can get away with it. Plays a lot like autoattack build Thrall, you aren't that sticky but big damage and have amazing self heals while in combat. Also like Thrall, you get to hear repeated quest dings when you hit stuff with your weapon and that's always a plus.

You can build Mei for self heals and sustained damage too, but she will still have more defense/CC than Arthas. And still do less damage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fend build claims another soul

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

time can never mend, the careless whispers of a good friend

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

Fend build claims another soul

When I go for that build, I always tell my team at the start "I hope my build choice doesn't ofFEND anyone!!! :cassembarrassed:" and then people build around it and we have a good time. And the other team gets very mad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I had no idea until today that Qhira is voiced by Janelle Monae. That's immediate S-Tier in my opinion. Are there any other characters voiced by celebrities?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kaal posted:

I had no idea until today that Qhira is voiced by Janelle Monae. That's immediate S-Tier in my opinion. Are there any other characters voiced by celebrities?
Yes.
Laura Bailey is Valla and Jaina, John de Lancie is Alarak. Most of the characters are voice by veteran voice actors with dozens of credits so it's likely you've heard most of them somewhere else too, e.g. Troy Baker voices Guldan and Joel in The Last of Us.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 3, 2021

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This is still the only good moba.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple voices Murky.

Dungeon Master Matt "McCree" Mercer voices Rehgar and Ragnaros.

Spike from Cowboy Bebop voices Abathur, Rexxar and Dehaka.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Murky is also the best character.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

I've been playing for 5 (or is it 6?) years and did not know Steve Blum voices Rexxar, it makes sense now but I'm honestly surprised it wasn't Metzen.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Issakhar posted:

I've been playing for 5 (or is it 6?) years and did not know Steve Blum voices Rexxar, it makes sense now but I'm honestly surprised it wasn't Metzen.

He's already Thrall. Probably didn't want a lot of self-conversing, especially when they met in WC3.

I haven’t ever really played Tassadar before but just picked him up and am having a ton of fun. He’s an easy target for a dive but can be played pretty safe, and I’m enjoying his AA build. The number of times I make a fight worse instead of better with force wall is unfortunate, though.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just giving him a force wall to start was all I wanted, but making him zap dudes out of existence and bully people is great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WITCHCRAFT posted:

When I go for that build, I always tell my team at the start "I hope my build choice doesn't ofFEND anyone!!! :cassembarrassed:" and then people build around it and we have a good time. And the other team gets very mad.

Ngl the dumb emoji are one of the things I miss most.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Ort posted:

I haven’t ever really played Tassadar before but just picked him up and am having a ton of fun. He’s an easy target for a dive but can be played pretty safe, and I’m enjoying his AA build. The number of times I make a fight worse instead of better with force wall is unfortunate, though.

He reminds me of hover mode Sgt. Hammer because you get amazing range and devastating AoE at the cost of being very easy to dive. His Q build is a great way to learn to play the character, it encourages keeping your distance and landing long distance hits.

His autoattack build is my favorite and has the potential for stupid amounts of siege/hero damage but you need to be on top of your poo poo and stay safe. Never overpush, and be reserved in your positioning in teamfights over the objective. You do the most damage when you're way in the back. Sustained DPS with no interruptions. You should only close in/dive when you can place a wall that 100% isolates an enemy hero. It's really easy to do near objectives.

More often it's better to save your wall to block heroes that try to dive you. Getting in range to isolate an enemy with wall is dangerous, it is much less risky to set up in a spot you can wall yourself off for safety and still poo poo out AoE DPS during the objective.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

SirSamVimes posted:

Ngl the dumb emoji are one of the things I miss most.

I unlocked all emojis first thing after finally unlocking all heroes. It's great to go :) or :( or :o and have it auto translate into a cute emoji of your char. Lots of them have little details worth a chuckle, like Valeera's embarrassed emoji has her stealthed.

Deathwing's :P emoji is my current fave, it is just so goofy and at-odds with his lore/presentation

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I was playing Illidan and used The Hunt (the ult where you beeline ignoring walls and slam into to the hero you targeted), but an ally killed the hero just as I was about to get there and hit them. Illidan made a right angle turn at the corpse and kept skidding at light speed across the whole map, all the way to the enemy's fountain. I loving lost it, and could hardly control myself enough to hearth out of the back of the enemy base.

Had something similar happen with Murky a few months back, where I used Octo-Grab on a hero just as my ally Stukov shoved them across half the map. My ult cast at just the right time, and Murky flew through the air across half the map behind the enemy hero. When we finally hit a wall my ult finished and they died.

What other skills or talents can bug out like this? Are there nukes that you can cast at just the right time where the projectile will follow someone back to spawn? I know most projectiles get disjointed when you hearth, blink, or put yourself in stasis at the right time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pretty much anything that yanks you to an enemy hero - Cassia's Fend and Varian's Charge are good examples, but they use normal movers that respect terrain so they can't get past obstacles. Tyreal's Judgement uses a flight mover though, and there are a few videos of him soaring across the map because the player tried to use it to interrupt Falstad's Flight and didn't get there before Falstad took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A long time ago Kerrigan had a talent that let her jump to a teammate, and it was fairly trivial to use it to catch a ride with Falstad across half the map. They patched that out.