Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So you say they should buff revanchism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

honestly I think I'd make it a rival interaction; Spain could declare itself defender of the catholic faith to their rival ottomans so they get a CB or a defense call or w/e whenever the ottomans attack a catholic state, but they also don't randomly defend catholic sweden against russia over finland

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm around 1600 and playing as Russia (I think the year is right; the Leagues just formed but the war hasn't started yet). My troops are absolute tissue paper in Europe despite tech parity (I have Defensive Ideas finished as well). I have a slight discipline disadvantage (5%) but I'm losing battles where I have a 2:1 or 3:2 advantage in numbers. I don't usually play with Eastern European units; am I getting unlucky on my rolls or should I just beat up central Asia and China and wait for my units to get better relative to western and Ottoman units?

Tech is right on schedule in case there's a massive pip difference for a few tech levels.

essentially yes, expanding into asia to get very, very big then slamming into europe with 100 absoluteism and all the military ideas fleshed out is not a bad way to go (trade company all the way too)

just make sure you have a moral advisor, DotF, lots of cannons and sensible defensive battles if you do fight the euros

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PittTheElder posted:

Internal politics my man

Paradox's game designers have a siren in their office that goes off when any of his devs begin even looking at internal politics

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly the problem isn’t with DotF, it’s every war being WW2. Spain might send a fleet to help Genoa if Ottomans come for Crimea, and similarly Ottos should send a fleet if Spain goes for Tlemcen.

But in EU both wars might need to be ended with 500k dead and a global power’s capital sacked.

Thats why in Imperator i made so that if you held your wargoal for X time you could enforce peace for it, or if you had stopped the attacker from taking it you could enforce a whitepeace

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pdxjohan posted:

Thats why in Imperator i made so that if you held your wargoal for X time you could enforce peace for it, or if you had stopped the attacker from taking it you could enforce a whitepeace
Can you add this to EU4 please? It is one of the biggest gripes of... literally every friend of mine that plays the game (at least a dozen people), plus a lot of people on SA and the mapgoons discord.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I remember EU3 having something like that. If you held a province for 5 years it was just automatically annexed without a peace deal. But I'm not sure about exact details. And it was not a mechanic for small proxy wars but rather for big world wars.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you fully occupy a country for 5 years and they occupy nothing you'll get 100% warscore regardless of how their allies are doing. dunno how subjects factor into this though

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Just have DOTF phase out with the Age of Absolutism, or throw out the guarantee at that point or something. Right now it’s very silly that in the mid 1700s as Prussia I can’t declare on, say, Denmark without France or Austria jumping in by virtue of both countries being Catholic.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm Orissa, going for Foremost Servitor of Jagannath; own all of the tropical wood provinces. I have all the Asian and African provinces already owned (bar one in Morocco, owned by mega-Spain), and all the others are owned by Spain's colonial nations in the New World. Roughly got 50 years left.

I'm confident I can take on Spain one on one, and already have 2 colonial nations of my own in South America, the only issue I think I can have is going to be finishing the wars fast enough, as Spain has half a million soldiers plus another million in manpower, and I imagine oodles of ducats for mercs.

Any suggestions?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

canepazzo posted:

I'm Orissa, going for Foremost Servitor of Jagannath; own all of the tropical wood provinces. I have all the Asian and African provinces already owned (bar one in Morocco, owned by mega-Spain), and all the others are owned by Spain's colonial nations in the New World. Roughly got 50 years left.

I'm confident I can take on Spain one on one, and already have 2 colonial nations of my own in South America, the only issue I think I can have is going to be finishing the wars fast enough, as Spain has half a million soldiers plus another million in manpower, and I imagine oodles of ducats for mercs.

Any suggestions?

If you're confident that your colony can win against Spain's colony 1 on 1 you can fabricate claims on the Spanish colony, give those claims to your colony in the vassal menu, then use one of the options in the vassal menu to get your colony to declare war on Spain's without you or Spain having to fight directly.

Sometimes the AI craps out when you do this and decides it doesn't want to take any provinces, and releases them as an independent nation (florida, Canada, those types of tags) but in that case you can just use imperialism to decc on them immediately.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ah, no, those 2 CNs are 5 provinces each, I only got them so as to be able to use "release colonial xx" as peace terms on La Plata and Peru (where most of the Tropical Wood is); they deffo can't hold their own.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Any suggestions?

Easiest way would be to move your capital to the new world, which will let you declare on Spain's CNs without them being called in. Its more annoying to do than it used to be but xxx -> Bermuda -> South America is the simplest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

remember when deus vult was the first religious idea

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finally got Foremost Servitor of Jagannath, no special trick with Spain in the end. I stole all of Portugal's CNs to give him plenty to be occupied with, and grabbed Lisboa as a base. Then I just needed one war since most provinces cost gently caress all - I just took out 50k in loans and 200k in mercenaris just to bruteforce the last ones. Glad I didn't need occupation on the one province in Cuba cause landing troops versus Spain is nearly as bad as versus GB.

Next one is Norwegian Wood, which seems a similar strategy except with European technology and fast colonization rather than the riches of India.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Naval supplies are so much more widespread through, it's almost like a mini-WC. You'll for sure want to strangle England in the cradle.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

My Sunset run is pretty cursed by this terrible triangular name. Really not looking forward to having to fight Mega-Austria and BattlePope.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Are you a horde, and if not why not?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would guess states general

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

My Sunset run is pretty cursed by this terrible triangular name. Really not looking forward to having to fight Mega-Austria and BattlePope.

It's your own fault for gobbling up all the coast line rather than letting CNs colonize for you and then trivially snatching their lands.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does anyone know if it’s feasible for Papal States to no-CB Byzantium? Thinking about it for a kingdom of god run

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

oddium posted:

i would guess states general

Why would you not be a horde, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groke posted:

Why would you not be a horde, though.
Because every province in murica is a 1/1/1

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's your own fault for gobbling up all the coast line rather than letting CNs colonize for you and then trivially snatching their lands.

Oh believe me, most of that land is stolen. I've had to murder CNs left and right because they count as separate countries for coalitions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait what coalitions were you even running into? Last time I did Sunset the Euros didn't care because they were too far away, Americans didn't care because culture/religion, and the CNs didn't matter because subjects can't join coalitions.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Wait what coalitions were you even running into? Last time I did Sunset the Euros didn't care because they were too far away, Americans didn't care because culture/religion, and the CNs didn't matter because subjects can't join coalitions.

Spain/Portugal/England/Scotland + whatever CNs were alive. CNs can definitely join coalitions against you if your capital is in the new world, its the tradeoff for being able to declare on them without their overlord joining.

Eating the Caribbean gives you like 200AE with every Catholic that can see you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

skasion posted:

Does anyone know if it’s feasible for Papal States to no-CB Byzantium? Thinking about it for a kingdom of god run

I think it's perfectly possible, yes. I considered it myself doing it earlier today, but too many opportunities opened themselves on the mainland. Just make sure to friend up with the Ottomans for access through their southern provinces.

Speaking of which...

Well that's a relief.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE BAR posted:

I think it's perfectly possible, yes. I considered it myself doing it earlier today, but too many opportunities opened themselves on the mainland. Just make sure to friend up with the Ottomans for access through their southern provinces.

Speaking of which...

Well that's a relief.
I'm failing to come up with a joke about one of the counter-Popes or whatever you called them that happened a few times when more than one guy called himself Pope

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

skasion posted:

I would think your limitation would probably be transport capacity, but you could probably pull it off.

You also might have a decent shot at fabricating on Naples -> taking the Adriatic coastline off Naples when Aragon abandons them -> fabricating on and vassaling Byzantium after the Ottomans take Constantinople and leave a rump state in Greece (and/or you could annex Epirus then release Byzantium). Ottomans would still complete the Constantinople mission but get hung up on the Greece one, which might discourage their European expansion.

A little RNG-dependent but I feel like Aragon voluntarily giving up Naples and Byzantium taking two wars to annex both happen in more of my games than not.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cockblocktopus posted:

I would think your limitation would probably be transport capacity, but you could probably pull it off.

you can just walk. everyone between you and the ottos will give mil access pretty easily and the ottomans will almost always see you as friendly enough to allow access after you declare on byz, unless they're more hostile to the pope than they are to other catholics.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

Spain/Portugal/England/Scotland + whatever CNs were alive. CNs can definitely join coalitions against you if your capital is in the new world, its the tradeoff for being able to declare on them without their overlord joining.

Eating the Caribbean gives you like 200AE with every Catholic that can see you.

yes and sometimes while they count towards a coalition , often you can still fight them without calling in the coalition somehow ?

very wonky, i also made sure to never actively reveal any european capitals, prevents a euro mainland coalition developing

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I was on ironman, and couldn't test this out, but... I presume this would've turned them into a theocracy, not an antipope?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well this goes down as one of the most wtf things I've seen in this game.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
You get a pope, and you get a pope, and those guys over there get a pope... everyone gets a pope!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Detheros posted:

Well this goes down as one of the most wtf things I've seen in this game.

Well it's just a post-colonial nation...

...formed by WHO?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

As their third idea, no less.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Province History says they've been colonizing over there since 1541, how the hell did I miss this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve had this game in my library for a while, but never really played it. Since I’m in a Crusader King mood, figured now is the time to try this as well. Are there any good SS let’s plays that act as tutorials? CK2 had a really good one here in the Let’s Play forum.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Okay, sure, why the hell not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Since the next update is going to change how migration works I decided to get my thumbs out and do something I've been curious about for a time:

Worked like a charm, so far. :toot:

THE BAR posted:

Okay, sure, why the hell not.
Strange how they're not guaranteed by the Ottomans and Poland-Lithuania as well.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 10, 2021