Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You can always use those space marine parts to make dead space marines on your necrons bases.

Iirc it's also cheaper to buy that than a pack of regular necron warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the Recruit/Elite edition boxes are a deal basically whether or not you want both factions, if you’re looking for volume as opposed to specific units there’s no reason to buy anything else.

Plus you can always give the marines to a friend or sell them for some small amount of money.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

First paint of the year, Primaris Captain from the indomitus box. Kind of playing around trying to settle on a color scheme/ chapter. I got the set mainly for the necrons so I didn't really have a plan for the marines. He was supposed to be an experiment with zenithal highlight and contrast paint but I think I didn't do enough white and the color of the contrast paint didn't show up on the black so I started over. Then I set him down to fix the kid a drink and when I came back the cat had pushed him off the desk and his little pointy bit on the top broke off.

Also I just bought an airbrush, supposed to come later this week. So I have that to look forward to.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hmm OK. Recruit box sounds like a good deal then! I'm also interested in the LOTR series, the first minis I ever painted were from the original GW LOTR game back in the mid-2000s. Is there a decent starter set for them at all? I don't think I see one on the GW site.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

These were a blast to paint. Love big models with simple color schemes

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KozmoNaut posted:

Or gently push the mini's feet into the freshly applied basing material to make an impression.

I've thought about this, my worry was that it would create a very weak bond between the mini and the base since you'd basically end up gluing the mini to a very thin layer of texture paste instead of to the base itself, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've thought about this, my worry was that it would create a very weak bond between the mini and the base since you'd basically end up gluing the mini to a very thin layer of texture paste instead of to the base itself, right?

Use a pin in the foot and a hole in the base. Easy

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

nostrata posted:

First paint of the year, Primaris Captain from the indomitus box. Kind of playing around trying to settle on a color scheme/ chapter. I got the set mainly for the necrons so I didn't really have a plan for the marines. He was supposed to be an experiment with zenithal highlight and contrast paint but I think I didn't do enough white and the color of the contrast paint didn't show up on the black so I started over. Then I set him down to fix the kid a drink and when I came back the cat had pushed him off the desk and his little pointy bit on the top broke off.

Also I just bought an airbrush, supposed to come later this week. So I have that to look forward to.

Contrast paints are very transparent for going over light coloured undercoats. The contrasts have a lot of pigment, they will tint the surface a little as soon as it's applied. Most of the paint is supposed to collect in the recesses to make a strong colour for shadows, and it has some kind of magic that makes the paint pull away from high areas and edges, so the light undercoat shows through to make a highlight. The GW contrast undercoats are basically for a cold (grey seer) or warm (wraithbone) tint, they also have a satin finish, and contrast really benefits from a smooth finish to flow over. I haven't gotten around to trying it but I want to see what happens if you mix something with wraithbone to darken it, then do pure wraithbone as a zenithal pre-shade, then go contrast.

Some of the contrasts can tint black, most don't really work. I 've shamelessly stolen this from Goobertown to use fleshtearers over black as a very strong shadow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znzf79rz2A

Some paints don't work well over zenithal highlights because they are super-duper opaque paints with great coverage, and with great coverage it's easy to go too far and cover your nice zenithal pre-shade. Some of GW's base paints are really good at this. Ideally you want a paint that has some transparency or thin a paint until it's got less coverage and build up some layers. An airbrush makes this so stupidly easy to do it's great.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I started painting my first warhammies, a couple Necrons. It's been fun, so I've been considering dipping into a 40k starter set to get more minis to paint. I saw this recruit box:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Recruit-EN-2020

And it looks like a decent deal for the amount of minis you get. Is it as good a deal as it seems? Only problem is that it comes with those silly space marines, and I'm not totally interested in painting them. Plus I like the Official colors to properly paint them (though obviously you can paint them however you like).

You can get the Necron half of the Indomitus box on eBay for a bit more money, that's a lot more bang for your buck

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 6, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you're worried (and the model isnt suitable for pinning) take a sculpting tool and scratch away the texture paste at the bottom of the "footprint" until you can see plastic so the glue is bonding plastic base to plastic foot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SiKboy posted:

If you're worried (and the model isnt suitable for pinning) take a sculpting tool and scratch away the texture paste at the bottom of the "footprint" until you can see plastic so the glue is bonding plastic base to plastic foot.

I generally mask the spots where the model's feet will be with blu-tac. Texture and paint the base, remove the blu-tac, glue the model down.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Contrast paints

Thanks, that's kind of what I was guessing happened but it was first time messing with contrast paint so I messed up the prework. I'll give it another go after I get the air brush running.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Have any of you paint goons noticed Citidel washes coming across especially glossy? It's been happening with my Reikland Fleshshade lately when I apply it to faces. Am I just not shaking the wash enough?

I read that applying a layer of Lahman Medium over any shiny faces I have as a result should take the gloss away...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Have any of you paint goons noticed Citidel washes coming across especially glossy? It's been happening with my Reikland Fleshshade lately when I apply it to faces. Am I just not shaking the wash enough?

I read that applying a layer of Lahman Medium over any shiny faces I have as a result should take the gloss away...

this happens to me when I don't shake them enough. It happens less often than the AP washes, but I make sure to thoroughly shake everything (but especially washes) now

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up all the X-Men I have so far!

Beast

Mystique

And here's the group shot!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My first attempt at doing a base that’s anything more than Texture Paint And Drybrush. I kinda like it in person, but in photographs it looks like garbage. Like the camera can pick up better on how plasticky the grass flocking looks, or something.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Love painting these big boys. Never wanted to do it before because priming was always such a pain in the rear end, but with the airbrush I can do it in my studio. I gotta get some simple green to clean up the gargoyle and some heroes, but I'm hoping to have the whole set painted to a nice standard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Verisimilidude posted:

Love painting these big boys. Never wanted to do it before because priming was always such a pain in the rear end, but with the airbrush I can do it in my studio. I gotta get some simple green to clean up the gargoyle and some heroes, but I'm hoping to have the whole set painted to a nice standard.

Love these! I'm jealous. I want an Ornstein but the prices for people parting out their Dark Souls games are outrageous.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where are the Dark Souls minis from anyway?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up all the X-Men I have so far!

Beast

Mystique

And here's the group shot!

these are loving great, love how well you did the brown costume Wolverine. Mystique looks smooth as hell, too. I hosed up my Wolverine really badly but Sabertooth was really fun.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Where are the Dark Souls minis from anyway?

Dark Souls: The Board Game

A game which I have never played, but it was an impulse purchase.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Finally got some paint on my Blood Bowl team, the Dankrumble Dodgy Gitz. First big project of the year, and while I still need to do the green on the goblins, detail armor, and fix the trolls, I’m liking how the colors are coming together for the team. Missing one goblin that still needs to be primed, along with the Squig-ball and my support staff (cheerleaders, coaches, apothecary, cameragobs), but I think I’m making decent progress.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Dark Souls: The Board Game

A game which I have never played, but it was an impulse purchase.

i kinda wanna get it just to paint it up

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

i kinda wanna get it just to paint it up

It's actually pretty fun if everyone's down for some effort. The rules are a little dense for a pickup game, but that's Dark Souls.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted another MCP duder as I was glued to my desk and news all day.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I think I screwed up my Venom. I'm trying to get a streaky charred bone look but I think I need to make it only go in one direction (ie not going leftwards from the door handle area) or something. Either that or I just need to level up quite a few times with my brush skills and concept.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Eej posted:

I think I screwed up my Venom. I'm trying to get a streaky charred bone look but I think I need to make it only go in one direction (ie not going leftwards from the door handle area) or something. Either that or I just need to level up quite a few times with my brush skills and concept.

I think you're right, straighter lines, possible a bit lighter too

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are you using the gloss versions of the washes?

I've done exactly that and was confused until I read the pot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Floppychop posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are you using the gloss versions of the washes?

I've done exactly that and was confused until I read the pot.

No but I almost baught Reikland Fleshshade Gloss the other day before I looked at the pot seconds before paying.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I accidentally bought agrax earth shade gloss when I first bought my paints and didn't notice until I painted several guys and they were all super shiny. They all looked super wet. I used a matte clear acrylic medium to get them normal looking again.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I accidentally bought nuln gloss, but I love it so much now. It's not at all like regular nuln. Very transparent comparatively, but really good if you want to give something a unifying gloss coat that brings things together instead of nuking with darkness (like if you've been painting in marbling or had jade veins for example)

Edit: lol everyone buys gloss paints by accident

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
first models for 2021 are my dark oath warbands for Underworlds (forget their name already lol)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJu8hsPHAll/?igshid=xchn24x7js37

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How sturdy are bases done up with those crackle medium paints once they've been varnished? I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of direct contact even for tabletop use, but is it gonna be some annoying thing where even transporting minis risks having it all slough off if it gets jostled a little bit, or is it pretty secure?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

How sturdy are bases done up with those crackle medium paints once they've been varnished? I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of direct contact even for tabletop use, but is it gonna be some annoying thing where even transporting minis risks having it all slough off if it gets jostled a little bit, or is it pretty secure?

I haven't varnished any bases yet, but they've been pretty sturdy so far.

I used brush on primer for the area, applied crackle, primed the whole model and painted, and it's pretty solid imho.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

If you're worried about crackle paste falling off just give it a quick layer of watered down PVA glue and that should keep everything nailed down aside from straight up scraping it against a wall.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone have a source for cheap generic bases? I got a 3D printer for Christmas and have been printing up some great minis, but it feels dumb to use printing time and materials to make a plastic circle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Toebone posted:

Anyone have a source for cheap generic bases? I got a 3D printer for Christmas and have been printing up some great minis, but it feels dumb to use printing time and materials to make a plastic circle.

You can get Rimmed bases directly from Privateer Press and probably anyone else that uses them.

Likewise you can order the Warhammer style bases directly from GW

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Toebone posted:

I usually get a big bag of bases from random ebay sellers when I need more.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Toebone posted:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults/?q=reaper+base

They have a decent assortment of sizes. If I search for simply "32mm" the only hits I get are GW fancy bases, unfortunately.

I know most my LGSs just sell loose individual bases of various sizes from some random supplier. Perhaps you can call around locally?

e; lots more options from Reaper on their actual website - https://www.reapermini.com/search/bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I got a bunch off Amazon by just searching for Xmm mini bases