Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

literally the post above yours:

but nooooo it's just England that's infecting everyone, the noble Scots are pure and bold :jerkbag:

Are you alright?

Is it my fault other people in this abortion of a union look at what's happening in England aghast?

You're a disengenuous liar

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

The majority are in England right? Scottish, Welsh and Northen Irish deaths seem to account for less individually but might be proportional

Speaking with people they're shocked at how England is essentially a plague land full of misery

Just an awful country

Per-capita infections, and deaths, correlate with population density in/on Great Britain, differences between the nations are within the margin of error once you account for the time lag of infections moving out from the cities.

NI is its own thing and for a while it looked like the Republic had them beat but then it turned out the Republic were fiddling their numbers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Ash Crimson posted:

The majority are in England right? Scottish, Welsh and Northen Irish deaths seem to account for less individually but might be proportional

Speaking with people they're shocked at how England is essentially a plague land full of misery

Just an awful country

People in Scotland are selfish cunts too, last month we had people travelling from Glasgow to my town en masse as we were Tier 2 and still had pubs open.

Everyone should stay the gently caress indoors.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Per-capita infections, and deaths, correlate with population density in/on Great Britain, differences between the nations are within the margin of error once you account for the time lag of infections moving out from the cities.

NI is its own thing and for a while it looked like the Republic had them beat but then it turned out the Republic were fiddling their numbers.

It wouldn't shock me if the Scottish death toll is higher at this point then the snp are willing to publicly acknowledge

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

People in Scotland are selfish cunts too, last month we had people travelling from Glasgow to my town en masse as we were Tier 2 and still had pubs open.

Everyone should stay the gently caress indoors.

The same happened in the lothians tbh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I only just thought to check but it looks like as of a few days ago COVID has killed more people than the WWII UK civilian death toll (76,000 vs 70,000). Seems like something a journalist or a political opponent would point out if they weren't all completely dead-eyed craven husks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Armani Glasses posted:

Up here in Aberdeen I work in Starbucks and our two central stores are as busy, if not busier, than before this 'lockdown' was announced. Suddenly families and other folk are out in droves for their "exercise walks" which just happen to all pass by our stores. Its obscene and just makes me think no-one is paying attention at all and we'll see that number will continue to go up, up, up. I'm ashamed we are even keeping the doors open to be honest, and if I could I'd have my store closed until February and beyond, but alas money needs to be made and we'll skirt the line until explicitly told: "Stop"!

The virus may take your lives but it'll never take your freedom

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The actual death toll, not the numbers given by the gov is probably in the 90's and will easily exceed 100k deaths before end of Jan just from the amount of people sick now.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1346823375797235715

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, more civilian dead than World War 2, then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enjoying the small minority of people who came back to life in june.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Armani Glasses posted:

Up here in Aberdeen I work in Starbucks and our two central stores are as busy, if not busier, than before this 'lockdown' was announced. Suddenly families and other folk are out in droves for their "exercise walks" which just happen to all pass by our stores. Its obscene and just makes me think no-one is paying attention at all and we'll see that number will continue to go up, up, up. I'm ashamed we are even keeping the doors open to be honest, and if I could I'd have my store closed until February and beyond, but alas money needs to be made and we'll skirt the line until explicitly told: "Stop"!

Oh, so it's your fault, is it? (Starbucks coffee, that is; the epidemic is on other people.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you alright?

Is it my fault other people in this abortion of a union look at what's happening in England aghast?

You're a disengenuous liar

This is an extremely lovely post, mate. People are dying by the tens of thousands and you're using it for your bashing-the-English schtick?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

feedmegin posted:

This is an extremely lovely post, mate. People are dying by the tens of thousands and you're using it for your bashing-the-English schtick?

Do you expect them to able to post otherwise?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TACD posted:

I only just thought to check but it looks like as of a few days ago COVID has killed more people than the WWII UK civilian death toll (76,000 vs 70,000). Seems like something a journalist or a political opponent would point out if they weren't all completely dead-eyed craven husks.

it would just make tory support go up since people would now think we are LARPing WW2 and we have to support our government

itd be reported like "destiny calls as dead surpass WW2. Can our Churchill rise to the challenge?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

it would just make tory support go up since people would now think we are LARPing WW2 and we have to support our government

itd be reported like "destiny calls as dead surpass WW2. Can our Churchill rise to the challenge?"

Don't forget Churchill was booted out at the first election after WW2 ended. (But then they voted him in again after 6 years)

Just read this hagiography of him on gov.uk
No mention of his dark deeds at all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/history/past-prime-ministers/winston-churchill

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

england does have 10x as many people as scotland, if you account for that its pretty close

which is basically to be expected, the SNP has largely just been producing media content to spin whatever Bojo orders for the UK

e: it does bug me that this happens literally every time, every time bojo announces something nicola comes on telly either just before or just after to announce "what shes doing" and its 99% the same because they have no practical devolutionary powers
but people really buy the idea that shes "showing bojo the way" or that he follows her lol

it really is amazing just how much politics is spin, its like an atom where its mostly nothing

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 6, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An electron might be better, no substance, exists in a cloud of possibility, relentlessly negative, spins a lot..

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
That nice maths video missed the most important Lionel Hutz answer to the question.

John, ran around the track four times?
More than Sue!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

An electron might be better, no substance, exists in a cloud of possibility, relentlessly negative, spins a lot..
The spin isn't real either but it explains a lot.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clapclap time is coming back :cripes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55561108

and they're calling it clap for heroes jfc that's so much worse adskfjdlkf

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Badly worded question problem, they were obviously going for addition but hosed the wording. Reminds me of all those "only genius will get this" social media questions like 4 + 2 * 5 - 1 = ? and the correct answer is "define your order of operations binch".

Yeah but the real trick about those questions is that the order of operations is first brackets, then left to right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol @ whoever itt called it "time for tubby clap clap" the first time around, good stuff

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that was me! :holy:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget Churchill was booted out at the first election after WW2 ended. (But then they voted him in again after 6 years)

My favorite bit about that is in World War Z where on of the characters is talking about WW2 and how Clem Attlee was a third-rate mediocrity whose only claim to fame is beating Churchill in the '45 election because Churchill was insisting we need to finish the war with Japan and the British people didn't want to bother :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clapclap time is coming back :cripes:

I've not seen a single person who actually thinks this is a good idea, no matter how much the people at the top are plugging it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Oh wait that's who that is? I thought it was just a really poorly-worded post thinking out loud about the effect of devolved powers, not the "Every single person on this side of the imaginary line is superior to every single person on the other side of the imaginary line" person.

(People really need to stop changing avs, I almost never remember usernames)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not seen a single person who actually thinks this is a good idea, no matter how much the people at the top are plugging it.

it was met with a lot of eye rolling where I was working today. I've heard from nurses who really resent the hero poo poo because dedicated as they are they didn't go into the profession to put themselves at risk of death - they're not field medics :mad:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

feedmegin posted:

No.

Not really

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

it was met with a lot of eye rolling where I was working today. I've heard from nurses who really resent the hero poo poo because dedicated as they are they didn't go into the profession to put themselves at risk of death - they're not field medics :mad:

Like, what I'd do is, while the crisis is ongoing I'd support them with the country's entire and formidable bank of resources. And once things are finished and Covid is firmly in the past, then I'd probably do a one-off event where I ask the country to give thanks, acknowledge that they didn't sign up for that sort of thing and commend them for stepping up when the country needed it, do the clapping bit, and then be done with it. Having it as a single thing that is rooted in like, what's it called... oh yeah sincerity seems like it's a lot more likely to be appreciated, at least if it's been backed up by best efforts to support them.

Not surprised in our timeline it's just pissing people off because it's a transparent attempt to avoid giving the needed resources because hey you're being paid in ~the country's gratitude~

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Heroes are what you get when something goes terribly wrong.... never a good sign in my view.

I've got nephews & nieces in the health service and they think anyone who claps is a bloody idiot. :rolleyes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

Slow clap for the dead

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not really. Labour got more votes than the Tories in 1951, it was FPTP that ruined everything.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Total Meatlove posted:

Imagine this making sense:

As a response to that problem.

You mean

quote:

But even if you don’t know how to find the transformation, verifying it is easy – or, at least, purely mechanical. The required transformation in our case is given by the friendly-looking formulas

🍒=−28(🍎+🍌+2🍍)6🍎+6🍌−🍍

🥝=364(🍎−🍌)6🍎+6🍌−🍍

If we just replaced all the letters in algebra with fruit emoji I think a lot more people would enjoy maths.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Imagine this making sense:

As a response to that problem.

Didn't look at the answer, but there is a pretty simple solution I just came up with:

just assume that pineapple equals zero and banana equals one, then the equation is reduced to

Apple plus multiplicative inverse of Apple equals 4.

This in turn reduces to the simple quadratic equation

Apple squared minus 4 Apple plus one equals zero.

Doing the usual thing will then give you

Apple equals 2 plus/minus square root of 3

which you can check works.

Please note that an integer solution was not specifically asked for. :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I realise this is uspol but uh, stick the news on :catstare:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I mean it's not entirely surprising the UK Government don't incluse "His hobbies included bricklaying, painting, and gassing Kurds", is it?

Churchill was also disliked - hated even - in a big chunk of the country. He only visited the East End the once and beat a hasty retreat from people who didn't really want jollying along but had some pointed questions about the lack of shelters, the shambolic attempts at rehousing bombed-out families, and exactly how he kept his figure on the rations. As far as I know he didn't even set foot in Liverpool or Glasgow, who made London look like the Winnie Fan Club.

In all these cases the hatred was not specifically about the progress of the war, although this was of course a big factor - people have long memories, and remember some of the poo poo Churchill got up to as Home Secretary and Chancellor. Patel and Sunak certainly have their problems but they've not yet sent in the Army to British cities (something Churchill was *extremely* fond of, doing it at least 3 times - Tonypandy, George Square, Sidney Street - in his 18 months there) or make several speeches praising Mussolini for his "anti-Leninism". Although give it time.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 6, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

I realise this is uspol but uh, stick the news on :catstare:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355

Odd how people literally storming the Capitol get much softer treatment than the people who set up a kitchen for homeless people outside the Portland police HQ, I wonder what the difference between those two groups might be.

e: Q sweatshirt front and centre in that pic on the Beeb site, nice

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 6, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Heroes are what you get when something goes terribly wrong.... never a good sign in my view.

Was it Nietzsche who said "Unhappy the land that has no heroes? No, unhappy the land that needs heroes".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1346907138678018051?s=19

Scuffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

crispix posted:

When it comes down to it I think very few people who aren't damagingly indoctrinated actually want to be a hero. Heroism is usually something that happens on the spur of the moment without thinking about the realistic consequences of say, battling a suspected suicide bomber with a narwhal tusk.
Asking people to go forth and be heros is a deeply cynical way of admitting you aren't prioritising their wellbeing, and trying to make a virtue of it.