Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I need VLC to be "always on top." I watch a lot of youtube videos that are streamed to the network VLC feature. It's nice to float the window over my text editor, so I can type away with the video on top to maximize screen space. The Mac company sure doesn't make it obvious, as I see no options for it.

On the subject of VLC, that is the best video player/streamer software right?

https://github.com/jslegendre/AfloatX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
That's it, thank you very much

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Holy crap I used Afloat waaay back.

Now I want FinderPop, The Grouch, and Gravité to come back.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

On my Mac Mini M1 I've dumped Safari in favour of a Chromium browser and general browsing now feels so much smoother.

I've found Safari to be a choppy mess when I'm scrolling a page that has pictures and videos.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to export only the photos from 2020 in Photos.app, such that I could restore them if needed?

I'm making an archival backup on AWS Glacier and already have a 'full' backup, I just want the 2020 photos, preserving metadata, location, adjustments, etc.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:blastu: OpenEmu 2.3.1 has been released :blastu:

OpenEmu posted:

Fixed shader configurations not persisting.

Fixed fullscreen mode "Fill Screen" scale option only resizing to a maximum integer scale when integer scaling is enabled. Instead, it now fills the entire screen as expected.

Fixed a hang that can occur when loading a game if the app is affected by App Translocation / Gatekeeper Path Randomization.

Improved UX to mitigate game launch issues related to Gatekeeper. — Now prompts with requirement to move to your Applications folder on app launch.

Improved UX for fullscreen popout window. — Now fills the entire screen by default, if no previous scale was set. Seperate scale settings between windowed and fullscreen modes are also remembered.

Rogue Squadron GameCube finally fills the screen (at least one way) like I want it to.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder if they fixed the obscure bug that caused you to have no audio whatsoever if you have a certain plugin installed for capturing audio in OBS.

Also why are you not using Dolphin for GameCube games?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

OpenEmu uses a Dolphin core for GameCube games, works for me

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Since upgrading to Big Sur I’m seeing Safari crash pretty regularly (at least once per day, probably 3 or 4 times yesterday). I disabled a few extensions last night to see if it’d help but I thought the whole point of sandboxing extensions and making them only available through MAS was that they shouldn’t be able to cause these kinds of instability, so I’m not convinced it’s going to solve the problem. Is it just me or is something fucky with Safari on Big Sur?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Safari is off.

Meanwhile Messages is really being loving useless. It constantly is not updating. I’ll be using it on my phone and then when I sit down and want to continue on my Mbp it is out of date by hours. This is my most frustrating Big Sur problem

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Binary Badger posted:

:blastu: OpenEmu 2.3.1 has been released :blastu:

Rogue Squadron GameCube finally fills the screen (at least one way) like I want it to.

Is it M1 native yet?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jokes posted:

Is it M1 native yet?

Nope, not yet, but supposedly they're working on it. It will be nice when it happens, as there's some lag on newer consoles..

They'll probably have it in 2.4.x... they did just finish getting it to be Metal compatible rather than OpenGL..

I was having flakiness on my Safari under Mojave, all of a sudden instead of autocompleting addresses, Safari immediately crashed out when I finished typing, or crashed in the middle of loading pages; I was able to fix it by doing a janitor whirlwind..

Empty caches in debug menu, re-synced iCloud History (also under Debug,) and then rebuilding Spotlight indexes (took like 3-4 hours to totally complete..) but YMMV and maybe just the first two steps might do it. Also disabled preloading top hit and show favorites, I didn't need that.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 5, 2021

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a way to connect to a SMB server without mounting a folder from it? Whenever I'm in Finder and "connect to server" it always wants me to mount a folder and I just want browse the root without mounting a folder.

Also, where does the folder mount go?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

gariig posted:

Is there a way to connect to a SMB server without mounting a folder from it? Whenever I'm in Finder and "connect to server" it always wants me to mount a folder and I just want browse the root without mounting a folder.

Browse using the Network option (shift-cmd-k) for the computer, name, double click on it, and you'll get a list of volumes. Connect to Server is about mounting shares as volumes, not browsing—it's equivalent to Map Network Drive in windows. Even then, once you double click on the share in that Finder window, it will automatically mount it as a network volume.

If you want to send files to a server via a path, using smb://server/volume/folder etc will do it, but it will force you to authenticate (or, if you already have cached credentials, it will map the volume for you).

quote:

Also, where does the folder mount go?

/Volumes. Alternately, turn on network volumes on the desktop in finder prefs. They also show up under the Computer window (shift-cmd-C in the finder), so if you need to get there from an open/save dialog, just go to the top of the path dropdown.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Lawen posted:

Since upgrading to Big Sur I’m seeing Safari crash pretty regularly (at least once per day, probably 3 or 4 times yesterday). I disabled a few extensions last night to see if it’d help but I thought the whole point of sandboxing extensions and making them only available through MAS was that they shouldn’t be able to cause these kinds of instability, so I’m not convinced it’s going to solve the problem. Is it just me or is something fucky with Safari on Big Sur?

I mentioned earlier that I've stopped using Safari. The only extension I had is AdGuard. While it didn't crash as often for me, I found it a pain to use - any webpage with video, tweets or multiple images would be painfully slow and stuttery.

I'm now using a Chromium browser built for Apple Silicon and all the issues I had are gone. Performance is what I expect and haven't had any crashes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are all the browsers M1 native?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

jokes posted:

I think with the exception of Edge (it's native on the beta channels iirc) they all are now.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I can’t figure out why I’m seeing old „ghost“ tabs in Safari. They’re showing up in the tab overview of both my iPhone and my Macbook, but they’re supposedly open tabs from an old MacBook I’ve removed from my iCloud account two days ago.

I toggle Safari on and off in the iCloud settings, restart laptop & phone, sign out of iCloud and back in again on both devices... but this long list of tabs always reappears.

I’d appreciate any help. There’s probably something obvious I’m missing, right?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

jokes posted:

Opera is the biggest Chromium browser that isn't native AS yet.

I'm using Brave until Opera comes out or until there's a faster and more refined version of Firefox.

Skeezy posted:

I think with the exception of Edge (it's native on the beta channels iirc) they all are now.

I did try Edge but it's very Microsoft at the moment (it's hideous)

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 6, 2021

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I'm fairly sure the answer will be "lol no" but I'm an optimist. Flash recently being taken out back and shot reminded me of an app (where you bundle the projector in with the file so it's standalone) I made about 15 years ago that I still have and wanted to run. Problem is that it's PowerPC and I'm on an Intel Mac now. Is there any way to use PPC apps easily without a full-blown VM or whatever?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

franco posted:

I'm fairly sure the answer will be "lol no" but I'm an optimist. Flash recently being taken out back and shot reminded me of an app (where you bundle the projector in with the file so it's standalone) I made about 15 years ago that I still have and wanted to run. Problem is that it's PowerPC and I'm on an Intel Mac now. Is there any way to use PPC apps easily without a full-blown VM or whatever?

Kinda sorta piggy backing on this but is there an easy way to run 32bit steam games? My shiny new M1 MPB needs some of these games on it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

franco posted:

No because the original Rosetta (PPC->x86) was gone in 10.7.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MarcusSA posted:

Kinda sorta piggy backing on this but is there an easy way to run 32bit steam games? My shiny new M1 MPB needs some of these games on it.

The chance that those games will run through an Apple provided path is essentially zero. They deprecated support for 32-bit Mac apps long ago, killed it for real in Catalina, and it continues to be gone in Big Sur. This is true on Intel Macs too.

There is a much greater chance that some of those games will eventually run on M1 through roundabout layers of emulation. The likely path is: once it's possible, virtualize ARM Windows 10 and run the Windows version of the game through Microsoft's x86 emulation layer. (VMWare and Parallels are both working on M1 versions of their products.)

You may want to try installing and running some of the games just to see. I've discovered that the Steam website and client can lie about which games are 32-bit only, because Valve is a perfectly good and competent company. Specifically, I found out that Steam lists Snakebird as a 32-bit game. It's actually a fat 32-/64-bit intel binary which runs fine on Catalina or Big Sur.

(I reported this as a bug against Steam using Steam's tech support, and was ignored by tech support people who wanted to close tickets in about 5 seconds by scanning for keywords and clicking a button to generate a form letter reply.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

franco posted:

Not really. Your best bet is either VM an old macOS or - if it's a Mac OS 8-9 application - SheepShaver, which will happily emulate Mac OS 9. (So it's basically a specialized VM...)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BobHoward posted:

The chance that those games will run through an Apple provided path is essentially zero. They deprecated support for 32-bit Mac apps long ago, killed it for real in Catalina, and it continues to be gone in Big Sur. This is true on Intel Macs too.

There is a much greater chance that some of those games will eventually run on M1 through roundabout layers of emulation. The likely path is: once it's possible, virtualize ARM Windows 10 and run the Windows version of the game through Microsoft's x86 emulation layer. (VMWare and Parallels are both working on M1 versions of their products.)

You may want to try installing and running some of the games just to see. I've discovered that the Steam website and client can lie about which games are 32-bit only, because Valve is a perfectly good and competent company. Specifically, I found out that Steam lists Snakebird as a 32-bit game. It's actually a fat 32-/64-bit intel binary which runs fine on Catalina or Big Sur.

(I reported this as a bug against Steam using Steam's tech support, and was ignored by tech support people who wanted to close tickets in about 5 seconds by scanning for keywords and clicking a button to generate a form letter reply.)

Ok thanks I’ll give it a shot! Sucks there isn’t any simple way to do it though. Oh well!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m interested in the current mac mini with the m1 chip. I’m on the fence between the 8gb and 16gb ram. I’ve heard some recommend it and others say its not necessary. My only task that I think will take up a lot of RAM is making songs in Garageband with 12-16 simultaneous tracks.

The entry level price point is really the big seller for me. I’d like to get the $700 one if it can handle bigger garageband projects.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you plan to keep it more than 3 years I'd get the 16

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see the first generation of Apple Silicon stuff being like the 32-bit Intel stuff in terms of ongoing support, so unless you absolutely have to make a purchase right now I'd hold off for a bit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see the first generation of Apple Silicon stuff being like the 32-bit Intel stuff in terms of ongoing support, so unless you absolutely have to make a purchase right now I'd hold off for a bit.

Been saying that from the start

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"Do not pay to be a beta tester for Apple" has been a thing for like 15 years in the Apple hardware thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Counter point the M1 is amazing and absolutely worth it if you need a new Mac now. I sold my 2017 15 for a M1 and it was 100% worth it.

The M1 is no joke and it’s only gonna get better.

Edit :

American McGay posted:

"Do not pay to be a beta tester for Apple" has been a thing for like 15 years in the Apple hardware thread.

No being snarky but what’s the last product this was true for? I’m having a hard time coming up with one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple Watch probably.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Apple Watch probably.

Eh maybe but I had my 0 till the 3 came out and I know quite a few people especially in the AW thread who did the same. It didn’t feel like a beta product to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It had 7 hour battery life and didn't even have an always on display, lol.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It also doesn’t get updated anymore yet the 2nd generation watches still do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

It had 7 hour battery life and didn't even have an always on display, lol.

Oh come on now.

At least make some good faith arguments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

It also doesn’t get updated anymore yet the 2nd generation watches still do.

I believe only third generation and above watches are updated anymore. The comparison isn’t that great though. The watch was a new product line entirely. Apple has been making laptops and those chips for a while now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do have a Mac OS question though!

How the hell do you remove an icon from the launcher screen?

Installed a steam game and the icon didn’t get removed.

Dragging it to the trash doesn’t work. Holding down till the icons shake doesn’t yield the x to remove it.

Everything I googled said just hold down till it shakes and hit the x.

:shrug:

Violator
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Oh come on now.

At least make some good faith arguments!

I'm an Apple Watch fan and went 0 to 3 as well and I think the 0 was dog poo poo. Their initial roll out of phone tethered apps (which was replaced by actual watch apps like 6-9 months later) was terrible because the watch and connection wasn't fast enough, so I would routinely have apps sit on a black screen so long that they eventually crashed. They also were overly aggressive on limiting ram usage, so apps would constantly reload or take forever to launch.

The hardware was pretty great, but the software choices were terrible and there is no way I would have suggested a "normal" non-tech person use an Apple Watch before S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best way to export only the photos from 2020 in Photos.app, such that I could restore them if needed?

I'm making an archival backup on AWS Glacier and already have a 'full' backup, I just want the 2020 photos, preserving metadata, location, adjustments, etc.

I'm fairly sure you can make a big multi-selection of photos and then drag them into a new folder in the Finder window and they will be copied in it.