Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Can you have it be looking through specific smoky quartz lets you see reality, and then they can mine enough of it out and fashion it into badass shades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I don't think there is anything specific I am nervous about, I just really want the players to have a good time since for most of them this will be their first time playing a tabletop rpg. I think I have done a decent job of setting expectations so everyone understands the first few sessions might be a little slow as we are all learning. My biggest worry is probably the pacing of the session since I suspect that I will need to look up rules often.

Good to know! My plan was to write out at least a brief background for important NPCs they will come across so that I give myself something to work with if I need to improv additional interactions / dialogue.

Thanks a lot for sharing these vids. I will definitely check them out!

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary of DMing my first campaign, and we just finished last week (well, technically this week but it's going to be more of an epilogue RP session). In my experience, especially if they're new, they'll just be happy someone was willing to take on the burden of running the drat game for them. Just let them explore and have fun and if you need to say "no" to something, explain why. My players never gave me grief for saying "I need a minute to account for those actions" or "I don't have anything prepared if you take that path".

Slowness was my concern too, and I think the most useful thing (already suggested) was having some browser tabs or documents of common situations to reference. I still keep this reference open every single session because I'll be damned if I can remember exactly what each negative Condition entails. In some situations, I've just made up a rule on the fly with the caveat "I'll look it up before next session, so don't expect this ruling to stick".

I'm also terrible at improv so I did a similar thing as your NPC list. I also had the name of a character from some other property next to it so I had a character to emulate. When it came to minor NPCs I just did a similar thing; I think 90% of my cast were Venture Brothers characters.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife was recommended Foundry VTT, and has watched a few videos saying it's great, but they did seem a little bit promoted to me.

It's her first time DMing for a new group and I'm trying not to be annoying and ask if she's doing a session zero, if she's prepared this, if she's done that etc.
Foundry is pretty amazing, especially the entire lighting system which runs circles around R20. I feel like you have to be a bit of a geek to get it working just how you like, though. There are modules for nearly everything, even for importing your stuff from D&D Beyond so you can run official stuff much more easily. It's in a state of rapid development so you have to be careful if/when you update to ensure all your modules work afterwards.

I have moved both of my WotC hardcover campaigns to Foundry, leaving just my homebrew campaign on Roll20, which I will finish up and at that point I may not return to that platform because Foundry owns.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Foundry can do animated backgrounds, which rules if you ever want to run a chase or traveling scene

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
My ROTFM group just did a pirate themed one-shot our DM cobbled together from scratch in two days when a player got sick and playing in person was out of the question.

Two naval battles with ships rocking in the waves, seagulls flying by overhead and sharks milling about in the water. A battle against zombies on a sandy beach with waves lapping the shore.
A nighttime ambush in a ruin temple by a pool fed by a waterfall.
Showdown with some yuan-ti at an overgrown temple with the trees swaying in the wind.

I'm not sure how many of those maps he made himself, but all the maps were really impressive considering he only had two days to prep.
Foundry is a really cool tool.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Glasses were at least invented as early as the 1290's in Italy.....just having magical glasses makes perfect sense in a DND world.

I did not know that. I guess my brain refused to accept glasses on a D&D character because I'm a disgusting ableist I've just never seen it portrayed before.

Braking Gnus posted:

Can you have it be looking through specific smoky quartz lets you see reality, and then they can mine enough of it out and fashion it into badass shades?

Great inspo! If I ever formally write this up, I'll post a link to the adventure.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Two of my last characters have worn glasses and it's a pretty common handwave for drow to have smoked quartz "sunglasses" to mitigate the sunlight sensitivity

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most of the artificer artwork tends to have lenses or glasses as well, it's not out of character unless you're going for strict medieval, no crossbows no guns setting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

I can’t wait for the follow-up “the Lost City of Piña Colada-burg”

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can I visit Flavortown?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can I visit Flavortown?

it's called vallaki and yes you can visit it

rictavio bouncing through the blue water inn guy's barovian kitchen and bar, singing songs and flinging trash can nachos at the party

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Government Handjob posted:

Mild spoilers for LMoP and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, I guess:

My group wrapped up Lost Mines of Phandelver in early December and have been on a hiatus since thanks to the holidays. Now that the new year is upon us I'm getting ready for the next leg of their journey, and I'm thinking of adapting Hoard of the Dragon Queen to fit into the storyline from LMoP.
There's already a few things set up that will make the transition go a bit smoother:

*As a sign of appreciation the town of Phandalin granted the party Tresendar Manor, and they're rebuilding it using the funds from the Rockseeker Bros. mining operation. I'm thinking this takes place about a year or so after the end of the last campaign so the Manor will be mostly complete when we pick things back up.
* Sildar Hallwinter replaced Harbin Wester as mayor of Phandalin with Sister Garaele acting as his advisor, so the party already has friends within the Lord's Alliance and Harpers.
* The party defeated the Red Wizard necromancer at Old Owl Well, and though what he was doing there remains a mystery they've been introduced to the fact that there are mages with tattoos on their forehead and a very lax view on the morality of wielding magic.
* The party never visited the ruins of Thundertree, which I'm thinking will be a good place to introduce them to the dragon cultists since I'll have to shuffle some locations around rather than sending them all the way to Greenest.

I'll basically be nixing Greenest and starting the adventure with an attack on Phandalin, possibly while the party is investigating Thundertree, then letting them take chase after the cultist raiding party with the aim being to get them to Castle Naerytar as soon as possible (hopefully without any hamfisted railroading). From there the adventure can go pretty much as written, with some tweaking of encounters to adjust for the fact that the PCs are level 6 after finishing LMoP until they catch up with the source books.
While I'm getting all this stuff sorted I figured I'd run a one-shot for the group, letting them play as the four goblins they rescued didn't unceremoniously slaughter and sent to work for the tax collector's office in Neverwinter :v:

Anyway, tips on sowing together the two story lines or on the Tyranny of Dragons modules in general would be appreciated since I'm still pretty new at the whole DM-schtick and I feel like I missed a lot of good opportunities for fleshing things out or making poo poo more coherent by going too much by the guidelines as written for LMoP.

Lastly I'd like to share a brief summary of the showdown with Nezznar at the end of Wave Echo Cave because of how ridiculous a turn the dungeon crawl took towards the end.

My party absolutely wiped the floor with Nezznar, he got one turn (which he completely whiffed) before eating poo poo. I would have been upset if their plan hadn't been so funny.
After defeating the Flame Skull they put it in their Bag of Holding that I gave them after rescuing Gundren from Cragmaw Castle. Once the skull reactivated the bag started vibrating and giving off small puffs of purple smoke.
The wizard peeked into it and was greeted by some mad howling before quickly closing the bag again and conferring with her party members about what to do. They decided they'd try to find a way to release the skull near the Black Spider and spared the life of one of the bugbears in the encounter outside the last room. Charging the poor bloodied mook with the simple task of "please give your master this gift, tell him you found it. We'll let you live and he'll probably reward you."

Standing in the hallway around the corner from Nezznar's chamber the party overheard the following conversation:

Bugbear: My Lord, sorry to disturb you but -

Nezznar: What is it now? I told you I wanted no interruptions, it's bad enough the racket you're making is giving me a headach- you look like poo poo! What the hells happened?

BB: I uh- There was a minor accident but we found this... bag?

Nezznar: Accident? You look like you've been fi- is that what I think it is? Give me that! Yes, yes this certainly has a powerful air of magic about it. There's a trick to these vessels that not many people know about, let's see what this bag is hiding from us.

Me narrating: You hear some fumbling as Nezznar inverts the bag. Nezznar's enthusiastic outcries at the treasures spilling out on the floor are suddenly cut short as you hear an all too familiar sound.

Flameskull: [CACKLES MADLY]

Nezznar: What the FU-

[FIREBALL]

The party then stormed the room and made short work of The Black Spider before taking out his spider minions. I thought I had tweaked Nezznar enough that he'd be challenging, but failing his save against a fireball and then rolling absolute poo poo for initiative made the encounter a walk in the park. I was holding back laughter as I let this all play out, however and the group had a blast so in the end I'm happy with the results.

Other highlights from Wave Echo Cave include:
The party initially being non-hostile to the guardian wraith, hearing him out until he revealed himself to have been a libertarian in life and holding those convictions still. His comments upon learning that the wizard worked for the Neverwinter tax collector set in motion a chain of events that lead to the party violating the NAP.
The party meeting a clearly confused Observer and convincing him that they were the next shift of guards, just arrived to watch the Forge of Spells and that he was free to go home and take some much deserved time off.

My group is also finishing up LMoP soon, but I've done some reading and decided to give Nezznar a second stage form a la video game boss battles.

My group's encounter with the flameskull was wild. They killed it and the zombos after taking some pretty hefty damage; the cleric then decided to put it in his bag and take it back to the forge of spells for a short rest. I was giddy to say the least.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary of DMing my first campaign, and we just finished last week (well, technically this week but it's going to be more of an epilogue RP session). In my experience, especially if they're new, they'll just be happy someone was willing to take on the burden of running the drat game for them. Just let them explore and have fun and if you need to say "no" to something, explain why. My players never gave me grief for saying "I need a minute to account for those actions" or "I don't have anything prepared if you take that path".

Slowness was my concern too, and I think the most useful thing (already suggested) was having some browser tabs or documents of common situations to reference. I still keep this reference open every single session because I'll be damned if I can remember exactly what each negative Condition entails. In some situations, I've just made up a rule on the fly with the caveat "I'll look it up before next session, so don't expect this ruling to stick".

I'm also terrible at improv so I did a similar thing as your NPC list. I also had the name of a character from some other property next to it so I had a character to emulate. When it came to minor NPCs I just did a similar thing; I think 90% of my cast were Venture Brothers characters.

Thanks again for the advice, this helps quite a bit.

I was planning to start out using Roll20 since I didn't want to spend money until I know how engaged the group is. But if Foundry makes managing the game a lot easier, I would be willing to make the investment. I couldn't tell from reviewing the game I created in Roll20, but is there a way to import characters to Roll20 from DND Beyond? Everyone is creating their character using DNDB and it would be really nice to not have to enter this data in twice.

I was also looking at using DungeonFog to build maps for encounters and wanted to see if it was easy to import maps to Roll20 and/or Foundry from there. If there is a better map tool, definitely let me know since that was just one I saw recommended.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 7, 2021

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New book being teased, will be revealed 12 JAN

Please be Dragonlance or Planescape

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Syrinxx posted:

Considering the book deal settlement thing recently for Dragonlance and the teasing of there being "a well loved property that hasn't been introduced to 5e yet", it'll probably be AL QADIM

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
D&D beyond is having a 20% off bundle sale now. They also have a new player’s bundle that only includes the four main player books:

Player’s Handbook
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide
Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything

And you get credit for owning books you already have. So not a bad time to get started or round out your collection.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Would kill for Planescape, though Dark Sun and Spelljammer are runners up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

GreenMetalSun posted:

It's gonna be Otiluke's Ponderance of Oddities and it'll have a bunch of new subclasses and spells.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Dark Sun is my favorite setting but some Spelljammer stuff would be cool too. Planescape too. Please no Dragonlance!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

theironjef posted:

It's gonna be Otiluke's Ponderance of Everything and it'll have a bunch of new subclasses and spells.

fixed

Give me Planescape!

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Something happened that I wsn't expecting last night in the silly home brew game I'm currently running, and I'm not 100% sure if I should do anything about it- input welcome.

Backstory: The players have arrived at a Giant (literally) Cathedral dedicated to Memnor, the Giant God of Pride and Control. They're there on a mission from some goblins, trying to save some goblin villagers that have been kidnapped by the giants. The goblin who gave them the mission specifically asked them to look after his wife, and told them how to recognize her. Rescuing the goblins will net the players the macguffin, a key to a magical tower that they want to enter.

After doing a little reconnaissance and finding the cathedral to have a small but still imposing selection of Ogres and Giants inside, the players decide to take the comical dipolomatic approach and use their Goliath Barbarian who is fluent in Giant to lead the party in, claiming to be a worshipper of Memnor, there on a pilgrimage, with the other three his loyal servants. After some surprisingly great roleplaying with the Giant who watches over the cathedral's alter, the barbarian is invited to make an "offering" at the altar, by asserting his giant dominance over a creature, and told that if he does so, he'll be blessed by Memnor himself. Naturally this creature is the specific goblin they've been asked to bring back.

After a few minutes of thinking about it, the Barbarian's player surprises me by going for it, and he one hits the goblin and kills her. I wasn't expecting hit from him but I maybe should have been, the character has never been a murder hobo but there have been multiple times in the campaign where he's made a short term risk for power. But now I've got to figure out a boon- I went with allowing him to enlarge once a day as a bonus action. Now I'm wondering if there should be a mild negative consequence too? I'm thinking something like he gets visited by the god on his next long rest and gets asked to do more and more heinous things but I'm happy to hear anyone else's suggestions, mechanical or otherwise.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Something happened that I wsn't expecting last night in the silly home brew game I'm currently running, and I'm not 100% sure if I should do anything about it- input welcome.

Backstory: The players have arrived at a Giant (literally) Cathedral dedicated to Memnor, the Giant God of Pride and Control. They're there on a mission from some goblins, trying to save some goblin villagers that have been kidnapped by the giants. The goblin who gave them the mission specifically asked them to look after his wife, and told them how to recognize her. Rescuing the goblins will net the players the macguffin, a key to a magical tower that they want to enter.

After doing a little reconnaissance and finding the cathedral to have a small but still imposing selection of Ogres and Giants inside, the players decide to take the comical dipolomatic approach and use their Goliath Barbarian who is fluent in Giant to lead the party in, claiming to be a worshipper of Memnor, there on a pilgrimage, with the other three his loyal servants. After some surprisingly great roleplaying with the Giant who watches over the cathedral's alter, the barbarian is invited to make an "offering" at the altar, by asserting his giant dominance over a creature, and told that if he does so, he'll be blessed by Memnor himself. Naturally this creature is the specific goblin they've been asked to bring back.

After a few minutes of thinking about it, the Barbarian's player surprises me by going for it, and he one hits the goblin and kills her. I wasn't expecting hit from him but I maybe should have been, the character has never been a murder hobo but there have been multiple times in the campaign where he's made a short term risk for power. But now I've got to figure out a boon- I went with allowing him to enlarge once a day as a bonus action. Now I'm wondering if there should be a mild negative consequence too? I'm thinking something like he gets visited by the god on his next long rest and gets asked to do more and more heinous things but I'm happy to hear anyone else's suggestions, mechanical or otherwise.

Maybe when he un-enlarges he finds he is small sized, like a goblin - the wife's spirit imposed a final curse on him. He must make amends to break the curse.

Or when he's enlarged his perception changes and he sees anything smaller than him - party included - as enemies.

Or you can just add barriers to the macguffin key quest so there is a clear cost to his action in terms of time and effort.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Apparently I have not been paying attention to D&D eyewear. I have been educated.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Syrinxx posted:

I would strangle a man in front of his own momma for some new Planescape.

Ok, not really, but I would absolutely love it if they revisited Planescape. It's my favorite campaign setting.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

If it ain't Dark Sun, I don't want it.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I struggle with settings because any time there's a character option that doesn't make sense for a specific setting for some lore reason, one of the players in my group absolutely must play that type of character right now, so the setting is always "homebrew planet of all the things."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Base Emitter posted:

I struggle with settings because any time there's a character option that doesn't make sense for a specific setting for some lore reason, one of the players in my group absolutely must play that type of character right now, so the setting is always "homebrew planet of all the things."

"hey man this character doesn't really fit with the tone of the campaign that we're doing; we can reskin and reflavor some stuff if you're dead set on these mechanics, but as written it really kinda clashes with what everyone else is doing"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Base Emitter posted:

basically theres two ways i get around this with my settings. the first is homebrew planet with all the things. the second is "lets put that on the backburner for a later campaign. this one is about X"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Base Emitter posted:

Just go with "kidnapped and dropped off by a mindflayer nautiloid" or "fell through a portal and everyone has no clue wtf you are"

or, just say no??

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Lore should be malleable enough to allow players to play what they want, but tonality is a completely different thing. If 4 of 5 are playing brooding PCs whose families were brutally slaughtered by orcs and are out for revenge, Kevin McGimmickson the clumsy wizard who shouts "wahoo" like Mario every time he casts a spell probably isn't gonna fit in

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lore should be malleable enough to allow players to play what they want, but tonality is a completely different thing. If 4 of 5 are playing brooding PCs whose families were brutally slaughtered by orcs and are out for revenge, Kevin McGimmickson the clumsy wizard who shouts "wahoo" like Mario every time he casts a spell probably isn't gonna fit in

Eh, sometimes a specific race really doesn't make sense for a PC in a campaign world, or a specific domain or class might be a bit off. Honestly, the solution to this problem is to have a session zero and set the expectations on the sort of thing you don't want to have from the get go. I've ran a campaign where I just outright banned elves as a playable race, but I set that expectation from the get go (they were wiped out in the history of the world I had created, and part of the game was saving them via time travel shenanigans) and everyone was fine with it. Its ok to ban things in your setting, just work with the players if they have their heart set on something.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I was also looking at using DungeonFog to build maps for encounters and wanted to see if it was easy to import maps to Roll20 and/or Foundry from there. If there is a better map tool, definitely let me know since that was just one I saw recommended.

Foundry has an importer for Dungeonfog that sets up all the walls and stuff for vision. I used it for a bit and it seemed fine. I like Dungeondraft as well, but manually adding in all the vision layer is more work than I'm interested in.

Personally I gave up on making 'realistic' maps with lighting and vision, and use Dungeonscrawl to make quick 'old-school' battlemaps just for relative positioning. I quite like the Foundry drawing tools as well to dynamically add changing terrain.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Hey everyone, asking for some ideas if anyone has any.

My group is most likely going to finish LMoP on Sunday. As a segue to the next adventure, I want to have the group gather at the Stonehill Tavern as a town celebration for re-opening the mine and breathing life into the town once more, as well as a proper send off to those that died and a recap of the adventure as a whole (told to the NPCs who only know bits and pieces).

The premise is to have the PCs drink, eat, and be merry with the locals before A BIG EVENT HAPPENS THAT VERY NIGHT and they're swept off to the next adventure (and also dynamically switch DMs). Does anyone have any fun interactions / skill checks / games that the PCs could play in the tavern with others? I thought of having my PCs take shots of beer as they do these skills to add to the fun, as well as make them intoxicated (poisoned) as they enter the next adventure.

tl;dr I need in-game drinking games for NPCs and PCs to play.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I am playing Zoom D&D with my old high school group for the first time in over a decade and I gotta say: game good

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Trivia posted:

My group is most likely going to finish LMoP on Sunday. As a segue to the next adventure, I want to have the group gather at the Stonehill Tavern as a town celebration for re-opening the mine and breathing life into the town once more, as well as a proper send off to those that died and a recap of the adventure as a whole (told to the NPCs who only know bits and pieces).

The premise is to have the PCs drink, eat, and be merry with the locals before A BIG EVENT HAPPENS THAT VERY NIGHT and they're swept off to the next adventure (and also dynamically switch DMs). Does anyone have any fun interactions / skill checks / games that the PCs could play in the tavern with others? I thought of having my PCs take shots of beer as they do these skills to add to the fun, as well as make them intoxicated (poisoned) as they enter the next adventure.

three dragon ante, or red dragon inn, add beers in as needed. three dragon ante even had rules for if you wanted to 'cheat' in character! red dragon inn is very literally about heroes at the tavern trying to out-drink each other and may the last one standing need not pay their tab

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Trivia posted:

If you have XGTE, the complication tables for carousing might be useful for your night of celebration and debauchery.

Drinking contests can be done with constitution save check contests. You can get more creative with variations like each person chooses the opponent's drink (I don't know the D&D equivalent of a cement mixer, I'm afraid), bartender's choice (enjoy that 100g glass of wine you just chugged). A roulette-style game in which 10 glasses are on the table and one has piss, or fish guts, or sleeping potion in it - Take turns selecting drinks blindly and hope you don't choose poorly.

You can do card games - Poker, blackjack, 3-dragon ante. Gwent, if you don't mind some immersion-breaking. You can play those out for real or through a series of int/deception/perception/sleight of hand checks. You can do a couple checks for a whole game or draw it out with different checks per round of betting. "Roll insight to see if he's bluffing this round." "Roll Int to see if you can calculate the odds quickly enough this hand" etc. If you want it more exotic and dangerous have an irritated snake next to where players draw cards/deposit chips, or have them play with scorpions placed on their body. If you want it more weird, have them compete to catch a greased up pig or halfling, or play kibasen. Bonus points for greased up kibasen.

There's rules for some gambling games used in Critical Role here: https://geekandsundry.com/run-the-gambling-games-of-marquet-in-your-own-campaign/

Darts, arm wrestling, and billiards could be fun and be completed with dex/strength/athletics/etc. checks. Going HAM on the billiard table or a particularly bad roll in darts could lead to broken objects, injuries, fines, bar fights, etc.

Townspeople would probably be down for hearing exciting stories and boasts and toasts - that gives more RP opportunities, a chance to build renown, and some charisma/deception checks. Music and dancing could do performance, dex, charisma, etc. Even rolling well in the social stuff could be perilous as a pickpocket may become convinced the PCs have significant treasure worth stealing, or an NPC might become an infatuated pest. Maybe Carp sneaks in and steals a bit of wine, and the party needs to calm Qeline down when she finds out. Maybe someone tries to use the busy night to pass off some counterfeit currency - are they caught, and if so, what happens?

If there are magic users, perhaps they get asked to do the equivalent of fireworks, or patch up folks after a brawl.

Maybe some old foes return. If the nothic wasn't killed in the manor, perhaps its seen in the shadows of the town, watching the festivities. A shadow is seen over the moon that may or may not have been Venomfang. Orcs or Redbrands enter the tavern and everyone braces for trouble, only for them to want to have a drink and start over as an ally. Maybe an owlbear gets into a barrel of ale behind the tavern that hadn't been brought inside yet, and needs to be wrestled.

Maybe have an NPC offering to read the bones/stars/entrails for the party, as is custom on such portentous evenings. If they take the NPC up on the offer you can seed hints and red herrings for later.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 9, 2021

Seldon
Dec 21, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

This player needs to just play Pathfinder, the default setting is "homebrew planet of all the things".

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Base Emitter posted:

This is non-D&D specific but this sounds like said player gets the idea that they want to buck the trend and wants to integrate with the world by rebelling against its systems that you create, so if this is a pattern but you'd like to put some restriction to what races are available for specific reasons, try peeling that layer back and asking what the motivations are. Thanks to Tasha's you could "make the race" stat-wise but have the player otherwise be human, but that really just depends on your preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm taking advantage of Tasha's Stat Bullshit as well. Made a tiefling fighter, +2 Str and +1 con to fit his farming background. He never really got any poo poo from people for being a tiefling, and grew up mucking in with the chores rather than stealing or swindling his way round.

Really like the freedom, and it fits with the general relaxation on build restrictions in 5e.

The other two players are new so I didn't want too big a backstory, so basically he's from a farming village and he's heading out on a rumspringe type deal to see the world, then come back with what he's learned.