Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

wiztree uses the MFT info instead of iterating all the files on the disk so its massively faster.

yeah it's so loving good

Shaggar posted:

The same guy wrote a file search tool called wizfile that also uses the mft for searching so its almost instant

i somehow wasn't aware of this, gotta try it out and see how it stacks against Everything

edit: well nobody has packaged it for choco, that's a bummer :\ it's on winget though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

flakeloaf posted:

samsung's cloning software "magician" has never failed me yet

wow, this poop made another poop! lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
verdict:

WizFile is fast but doesn't have regex filtering like Everything does. going to stick w/ Everything, the indexing it does takes literal seconds so i'm not too worried about it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

President Beep posted:

wow, this poop made another poop! lol

pooroboros

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

wiztree is so much better than windirstat lmao

i couldn’t believe how much faster it was when i first used it

bobbilljim posted:

just use windirstat. not sure why shell menu is needed for it

yeah neither

but windirstat has been superseded

it’s literally a 1950s Lada compared to wiztree

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just installed wizfile and it's neat but i think i still prefer agent ransack. it's not as fast as wizfile but it's vastly quicker and more thorough than the windows search, and unlike wizfile it does regexes and can search file contents.

i will keep both around though because being able to type the name of the file i'm looking for and have it show up instantly is real nice.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

i just installed wizfile and it's neat but i think i still prefer agent ransack. it's not as fast as wizfile but it's vastly quicker and more thorough than the windows search, and unlike wizfile it does regexes and can search file contents.

i will keep both around though because being able to type the name of the file i'm looking for and have it show up instantly is real nice.

try Everything it does regexes and can do file contents

though for file contents nothing beats ripgrep

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

flakeloaf posted:

samsung's cloning software "magician" has never failed me yet

fail.

didn’t detect the OEM Samsung drive, model P991, to migrate to, seems like it’s a hard lock on their retail drives

ended up just using Clonezilla and enabling legacy (CSM) boot.

still looking for an easy piece of software to fully migrate Windows 10, but I’ll finish the job with this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macrium reflect is the best for just moving poo poo from one drive to another. ive moved my current windows install probably 4 or 5 times now using it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
can confirm. I’ve successfully used macrium to migrate drives so that means anyone can do it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok. I wish my tv had more inputs. maybe an hdmi switch is in order

get an a/v receiver and some real speakers op

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Unless posted:

fail.

didn’t detect the OEM Samsung drive, model P991, to migrate to, seems like it’s a hard lock on their retail drives

wow that sucks

Shaggar posted:

macrium reflect is the best

thaggar

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jenny Agutter posted:

get an a/v receiver and some real speakers op

my playstation takes up too much space

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lots of people not using dd in here

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

i got one of those cheap chinese ones, android is dog poo poo awful but it has all the features (including airplay) and it does work.

xiami mi box s is cheap as poo poo and apparently will do 4k. i would maybe like one for plex and kodi

but then I read that a) it kinda has dogshit performance and b) amazon and netflix will only stream 4k to devices they authorize

so i guess my ideal is a box that will do amazon prime video, netflix, kodi, and plex and supports 4k plus dolby digital/atmos

options seems like xiaomi mi box s, amazon fire tv cube, nvidia shield, apple tv

Android seems the most flexible but ugh. what say you yospos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i like my appletv 4k

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

xiami mi box s is cheap as poo poo and apparently will do 4k. i would maybe like one for plex and kodi

but then I read that a) it kinda has dogshit performance and b) amazon and netflix will only stream 4k to devices they authorize

so i guess my ideal is a box that will do amazon prime video, netflix, kodi, and plex and supports 4k plus dolby digital/atmos

options seems like xiaomi mi box s, amazon fire tv cube, nvidia shield, apple tv

Android seems the most flexible but ugh. what say you yospos

apple tv. done. its so good.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

what the gently caress is with win10 and its continually failing updates? seems like once a month or so i'm having to rebuild my studio desktop because some bullshit update didn't install properly and it fucks up the entire os. then when i try to uninstall the feature update, it can't do it and i gotta reset the whole fuckin thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
my win10 desktop is fine with updates. also did a “reset” type reinstall and it gave me back 10 gb of free space

upgrading a 2017 MacBook Air to big sur took us three tries and when it finally started properly it took 2 hours to finish

in conclusion, install gentoo op

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

relative_q posted:

what the gently caress is with win10 and its continually failing updates? seems like once a month or so i'm having to rebuild my studio desktop because some bullshit update didn't install properly and it fucks up the entire os. then when i try to uninstall the feature update, it can't do it and i gotta reset the whole fuckin thing

system restore points my dude

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Unless posted:

system restore points my dude

that poo poo failed on me too

couldn’t even finish reinstalling without a bsod lmao

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

i really just need to hit the lottery and buy a maxed-out mac pro

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

relative_q posted:

goddamn. most alarming.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

relative_q posted:

that honestly makes it sound like you’ve got bad hardware or a bad driver somewhere. I haven’t had a bsod in loving forever across several different pcs

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

weird, man, because this machine is nearly brand-new

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only time i've had windows updates fail is when i was a dumbass and let the c drive free space get into the red zone. windows sometimes needs a tremendous amount of slush (like 50gb+) to be able to update for some reason.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
test hd, test ram, keep ~10% free disk on primary partition, check event viewer for clues

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh and if you’re over clocking then obvs stop but I assume you’re not because most people doing that go there first if they bsod

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

problem is that i can’t get into the event viewer to check anything like that. primary hd is a gigantic 3tb drive, so there’s no problem there. everything in this machine is practically brand-new.

also i have never oc’ed a machine in my life, so that’s not the problem.

this time even the system restore failed so what the gently caress

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

do you got power or cooling issues? make sure your cpu fan is firmly snugged down and that your PSU ain’t making GBS threads the bed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
have you tried resetting it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

that honestly makes it sound like you’ve got bad hardware or a bad driver somewhere. I haven’t had a bsod in loving forever across several different pcs

i ran into this with bad ram on a 10 month old desktop and haven't gotten around to taking in for the one stick. in covid wave one my desktop died and i bought a micro center prebuilt since parts were running low

it was months before I noticed the issue because only one game hitched occasionally, and none of my other software used enough to trip the bad bits. it took something reliably bsoding when it went past the first stick to figure out the problem, since the way the memory was addressed it put it in the 20~24gb range

bad rams annoying but new bad ram is worse because normally it's only been an issue after five or so years, for me

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cold on a Cob posted:

test hd, test ram, keep ~10% free disk on primary partition, check event viewer for clues

don’t forget to check for distended capacitors on the mobo, too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe sure the atx cable isnt prolapsed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so uh

I bought some hard drives for my HP server and some trays but I can't find how to install the hard drive into the tray properly

I thought I had it but I can't insert it into the server's HDD bay! I assume I am doing it wrong

it is a 651314-001 tray. I have an HP DL380p G8. I thought there would be a manual or something on HP’s site but I can’t find any

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

so uh

I bought some hard drives for my HP server and some trays but I can't find how to install the hard drive into the tray properly

I thought I had it but I can't insert it into the server's HDD bay! I assume I am doing it wrong

it is a 651314-001 tray. I have an HP DL380p G8. I thought there would be a manual or something on HP’s site but I can’t find any

call hp or maybe posts pics of what's confusing you? but really i'd just call hp and explain they've surely had it happen before

so i was working on a project recently, and while rummaging through computer parts and debris looking for sata cables, i found a sata cable that is slightly over a meter long. i think it must have been a box-in w/ a motherboard but wtf would you need a meter long sata cable for, i'm drawing a blank as to where that would ever be necessary

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when sata first came out i vaguely remember people saying it could be used for portable hard drives but i don't think i ever saw that in action

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

when sata first came out i vaguely remember people saying it could be used for portable hard drives but i don't think i ever saw that in action

esata (e for external) had a different connector though iirc.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

esata (e for external) had a different connector though iirc.

it was a different connector, internal sata connectors are rated for 50 lifetime insertions/removals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jenny Agutter posted:

it was a different connector, internal sata connectors are rated for 50 lifetime insertions/removals

dont sign your posts lol