Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Banano posted:

Yeah It's nice thick, flat vinyl and sounds good.

Good to know. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Joyful Noise and Kramer brought back Shimmy Disc and they're putting out Paul Leary from Butthole Surfers' first solo album in 30 years.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

thats rad! slightly related, jeff pinkus put a Daddy Longhead album up on bandcamp the other day: https://daddylonghead.bandcamp.com/releases no physical release yet, but its very 90s and very pinkus

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

You always post the thing I'm coming here to post.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

thats rad! slightly related, jeff pinkus put a Daddy Longhead album up on bandcamp the other day: https://daddylonghead.bandcamp.com/releases no physical release yet, but its very 90s and very pinkus

this rules

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
One reason I keep expensive releases in my Discogs wantlist is that when you start seeing a bunch of them pop up for sale, like rats off a sinking ship, it's a pretty good indication that record was reissued or will be soon. Lo and behold, that happened with Killing Joke - Pandemonium. I wasn't aware but apparently they're reissuing some of their earlier work: https://bravewords.com/news/killing-joke-announce-40th-anniversary-official-deluxe-album-reissues

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

ive been really pleasantly surprised with pinkus' solo/non-butthole works. his banjo album was good as well and has a vinyl release

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
one thing I cannot stand about the discogs wantlist is that a bunch of sellers are deleting and re-adding their inventory every couple of days so you see the same overpriced poo poo pop up over and over and over again. it's amazing they haven't figured out a way around that yet

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JAMOOOL posted:

one thing I cannot stand about the discogs wantlist is that a bunch of sellers are deleting and re-adding their inventory every couple of days so you see the same overpriced poo poo pop up over and over and over again. it's amazing they haven't figured out a way around that yet

Yeah, it drives me nuts. I wish you could just squelch certain users.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

In a Discogs first, I added a record to my collection (Beloved - The Running) and someone messaged me asking if they could buy it off me. I'm tempted to throw out some price well above the highest it has gone for in the past. Leave it to early 2000s melodic hardcore / emo fans to be the ones that desperate for a record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Asnorban posted:

In a Discogs first, I added a record to my collection (Beloved - The Running) and someone messaged me asking if they could buy it off me. I'm tempted to throw out some price well above the highest it has gone for in the past. Leave it to early 2000s melodic hardcore / emo fans to be the ones that desperate for a record.

I had someone do that once and they wanted to pay a ton but I kinda wanted to keep the record.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

BigFactory posted:

I had someone do that once and they wanted to pay a ton but I kinda wanted to keep the record.

Same. They reached out to me about my copy of Miniature Tigers Tell it to the Volcano, but it's my wife's favorite album from college. Ya ain't gettin it!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m open to offers, but they better be good. Some stuff too hard to get rid of.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

JAMOOOL posted:

Some people are just jerks relisting, but bigger sellers and record stores that upload files for inventory wind up refreshing their entire inventory with every daily upload, spamming wantlists inadvertantly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had to do that once with an album that's not even on spotify. The one dude who got back to me sold it at a very reasonable price because he wanted it to go to someone that would listen and enjoy. that guy was the fuckin man.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Walrus posted:

I had to do that once with an album that's not even on spotify.

garth brooks?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

dorium posted:

I’m open to offers, but they better be good. Some stuff too hard to get rid of.

The dude didn't even make an offer. I would take double what I paid and then set up a discogs alert for a replacement.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pwn posted:

garth brooks?

'moving at breakneck speed' by ugly duckling

edit: https://uglyduckling.bandcamp.com/album/moving-at-breakneck-speed the album can stream here for free though - it's loving amazing if you like jurassic 5/west coast alt party rap

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 8, 2021

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Oh my God they’re here. Two copies of Ghost Dog (I’ve seen how albums get mailed, I got paranoid, don’t judge me) one copy of The Far Side of the Moon, and one copy of The Wall.

Now when is my turntable going to show up? :cry:

And of course I say this after I preordered two copies of the Eva soundtrack because my dude likes Shinji and Unit 01, and I just got a copy to play.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got a few download codes I'm not using, mostly because I don't want to deal with Universal's Sound of Vinyl interface. If you can be arsed PM me or post for:

The Cure - The Head On The Door
The Cure - Disintegration
- both requested and passed on
PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

plus two mystery codes that I'm just gonna post because I have no idea what they even might be anymore. If you use one, please post to say you did (and what it was cause I'm mildly curious).

LL5TN2W86
T4Y8M59QD
- those were The Cure too, looks like

redeem.thesoundofvinyl.com

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 18, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Foam Monkey posted:

The Far Side of the Moon

Is this a mashup?

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Hey diggers - I'm under lockdown & starting to feeling the itch.
Anybody do a Kijiji blind-buy? Some dudes are selling single albums from a collection in their garage...
Kijiji & Marketplace prices seem jacked & I'm not sure what my option are.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Is this a mashup?

Gary Larson fills in for Syd Barrett.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Gary Larson fills in for Syd Barrett.

Syd Barrett would have made dark side so much better.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well drat, I should have used Gilmour instead of Syd just wasn't thinking.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Foam Monkey posted:

Oh my God they’re here. Two copies of Ghost Dog (I’ve seen how albums get mailed, I got paranoid, don’t judge me)

No judgement here. I've got a UK import here that got smashed to poo poo, was a limited edition, and I can't exchange it. Enjoy your vinyl!!

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Looooool don’t post while distracted I guess. Although if Gary Larson released a record I’d probably buy it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So whats up with that gang tag. Should we put it to a vote? I personally dig the Whipped Cream image but really not sure what the text should say.

Also I made a mix on the 6th. It's sorta my response to the whole mess. Though not overtly political it is a gently caress you to the homogeneity that those assholes want for this country.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/01062021/

All vinyl jazz, funk and soul as is my usual thing.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Had to replace my router this weekend and basically spent half the day trying to organize all the cables/wires/power cords. Stereo components, speakers, TV, playstation, modem, router. Christ. I don't know how they tangle themselves up like that. How do you guys keep that poo poo from turning into a giant rat king mess?

sporklift fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 9, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I haven't bought vinyl records in a while, but I bought Thundercat's new album on a whim at the start of the year and now I'm hooked again. Just got this in the mail and I can't wait to listen to it. :woop:

I should probably buy a better record player though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wish Kamasi Washington albums weren't three hours long and sixty dollars.

(I should pick up a copy of Harmony of Difference)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

So whats up with that gang tag. Should we put it to a vote? I personally dig the Whipped Cream image but really not sure what the text should say.

Also I made a mix on the 6th. It's sorta my response to the whole mess. Though not overtly political it is a gently caress you to the homogeneity that those assholes want for this country.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/01062021/

All vinyl jazz, funk and soul as is my usual thing.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Had to replace my router this weekend and basically spent half the day trying to organize all the cables/wires/power cords. Stereo components, speakers, TV, playstation, modem, router. Christ. I don't know how they tangle themselves up like that. How do you guys keep that poo poo from turning into a giant rat king mess?

I like Alpert Aficionados.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

I wish Kamasi Washington albums weren't three hours long and sixty dollars.

(I should pick up a copy of Harmony of Difference)

And that they didn’t have records sealed in perforated card areas of boxsets etc. Not that I’m bitter over the mess of that set...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know when they bother to announce the Third Man Vault packages? The deadline is the 31st but nothing yet. And for some reason once you've signed up you can't unsubscribe and get a refund if you think the thing sucks. My guess would be it has something to do with the avalanche of people that would do this once they announce something that sucks for a premium price.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know when they bother to announce the Third Man Vault packages? The deadline is the 31st but nothing yet. And for some reason once you've signed up you can't unsubscribe and get a refund if you think the thing sucks. My guess would be it has something to do with the avalanche of people that would do this once they announce something that sucks for a premium price.

Funny you should ask, it just got announced!

quote:

On July 30th, 2014 Jack White played one of the most captivating live shows of his career. With the friendly confines of Detroit’s Masonic Temple providing as much of a home field advantage as White could ever get, this tour-de-force, three hour plus, 38 song barn-burner of a set spanned the breadth of his recorded career and left all comers in its wake gobsmacked, a testament to the undiminished magnetism of a performer at the height of his powers.

Kicking off at breakneck pace with three sizzling fan favorites from the White Stripes back catalog, the impromptu song selection never loses focus and instead delivers body blow after body blow of unrelenting passion. Inspired, off-the-cuff covers of Beck’s “Devil’s Haircut” to Zeppelin’s “Lemon Song”, Hank Williams’ “Ramblin’ Man” to Junior Wells’ “Hoodoo Man” absolutely delight. White’s Dead Weather bandmates Alison Mosshart and Dean Fertita unexpectedly join onstage for a particularly heavy version of “I Cut Like a Buffalo.” Chock full of delightful stage banter, local references and even a laugh-out-loud takedown of a supposed icon (you’ll have to listen to know exactly), the performance manages to blow everyone’s mind, both satiating desire and yet quizzically also leaving them wanting more...such are the paradoxes of a truly transcendent evening.

As Third Man Records’ 47th Vault package, we are proud to present here for the first time, Jack White Live at the Masonic Temple 7-30-14. Spanning four 180-gram colored vinyl LPs, housed in an immaculate slipcase cover with custom printed photo inner sleeves, bedecked with stunning photos shot that evening by official tour photographer David Swanson, the overall package is exquisite and grand in a manner befitting of the audio it contains.

For an extra special added bonus, Third Man is including a 7-inch single of Jack White’s October 2020 performance on Saturday Night Live. Jumping in with two days notice to fill the musical guest slot, White unleashed an explosive power trio medley of “Don’t Hurt Yourself” (a song he co-wrote with Beyonce and included on her “Lemonade” album) into the White Stripes’ classic “Ball and Biscuit” while interpolating elements of “Jesus Is Coming Soon”, a song originally written by Blind Willie Johnson about the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak that feels uniquely relatable in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic. On the flipside is White’s blistering reimagination of his 2014 track “Lazaretto” with a brief, respectable, finger-tapping solo nod to Eddie Van Halen (performed on an EVH signature model guitar), who passed away earlier that week. Inarguably one of the most talked about and praised Saturday Night Live musical performances in some time, it felt only right to enshrine these takes into the vinyl permanence.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That goddamned snl single got me. Jack White is a bastard

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At first I was thinking about whether or not I really need another Jack White live album but that set sounds great and the SNL thing is a really nice bonus. Thanks for posting that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Do y’all do quarterly subscriptions and then just re-up if it’s a good quarter?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

Do y’all do quarterly subscriptions and then just re-up if it’s a good quarter?

I use to just let it auto-renew then the packages started to get lame more frequently. But for a while I'd forget to cancel before the deadline so I ended up with a bunch of poo poo I didn't want. Anyway in the lost couple years I just paid closer attention and will cancel if the next thing looks lovely. Like the last one was just the White Stripes greatest hits but the discs are red or some bullshit. I sure as hell wasn't paying 60 bucks for that both because I have all their albums and because you can just get that at anytime at retail price but it's not red!!!! Occasionally they do lovely no effort releases that are whatever regulars thing is coming out but on a colored disc. But it's worth it for the really good stuff. The actual archival things and the live albums. One of the releases is a double LP live album of the last ever White Stripes concert and I can't believe that never got a regulars release because I consider it essential listening for fans. It's not just my favorite Vault release it's one of my favorite albums in my entire collection. I would love for them to include the Upholsterers EP in one of those or ideally a regular release through Third Man. I can't believe they've never put that out in any fashion because that is a glaring omission.

Anyway I guess the answer is yes. If you subscribe you can immediately unsubscribe once you get charged for the next package. I really, really want to thank whoever posted the info about this package and the stupid last one with the greatest hits comp. I wouldn't want to miss this one and absolutely wanted to miss that last one.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's kinda tempting, but even though it's that much vinyl, $60 is right in the neighborhood of where my brain reflexively thinks "that's way too expensive, stop it."

and yet, my sixty-dollar (after tax/shipping) discogs order consisting of three single LPs made it here today and that's no big deal because it's three different things.

brains suck
buying stuff sucks