Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am incredibly happy and impressed with my M1 MBP.

It definitely feels like an upgrade from my 15 inch 2017 in nearly every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

I am incredibly happy and impressed with my M1 MBP.

It definitely feels like an upgrade from my 15 inch 2017 in nearly every way.

Same. I upgraded my 2019 MBP with a M1 MBA and it’s better in absolutely every way. It even plays video games much much better, with no fan. It’s absurd.

The only problem is that it has no problems and I don’t know if I should’ve sprung for the 16!!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FCKGW posted:

They still charge sales tax, they just give you a discount equivalent to the sale tax rate.

Ok so they are eating it then.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

I like faceid and I hope the next revision of the MBP gets it.

FaceID blows right now tho. Does it learn masks? What about different masks? What about combos of different masks and glasses? Yeah...no

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jokes posted:

M1 for laptops, M1X or M1+ for desktops. This is the new naming convention.

M1

M1 Pro

M1 Pro Max

M1 SE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

FaceID blows right now tho. Does it learn masks? What about different masks? What about combos of different masks and glasses? Yeah...no

As the technology is right now having it work with masks is a huge security risk.

Also with a desktop / laptop odds are pretty good you aren’t wearing a mask while using it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three Olives posted:

Re: M1 vs A14 and all the talk of the merger of M and A chips, especially on the iPad Pro. Isn't one of the HUGE differences between the chip outside of the SoC stuff the addition of hardware support for Rosetta in the processing core? And something that Apple would likely have no interest in bringing over to the A series?

The only known hardware support for Rosetta is a mode which makes the CPU's memory ordering rules match x86. This makes it possible to write an x86 emulator which is both fast and supports safe interactions between multiple x86 threads running on different CPU cores.

Apple introduced this feature in fall 2018 iPads and iPhones. They may have had it even earlier, but we know for sure it was in A12's Vortex (performance) CPU cores because the ARM Mac Developer Transition Kit machines used A12Z iPad Pro chips.

I don't know what you mean by "all the talk of the merger of M and A chips". What you can expect in the future is that low end Macs will often share a chip design with iPad Pro, since that's where there's a lot of overlap in requirements. Bigger Macs will get their own chips since they'll have too much power hungry stuff to make sense in any iOS device.

That's what we already have in the present. The M1 is mostly the same building blocks as A14, just more of some of them. It looks an awful lot like the chip spec you'd expect in a hypothetical A14X iPad Pro chip, except it has more I/O ports and RAM. If Apple does end up shipping an A14X, odds are good it'll be the same silicon design or "tapeout" as M1, just with less RAM soldered to the package.

So, plenty of iPads and iPhones have shipped with the Rosetta feature buried in their CPUs. This doesn't mean Apple has any interest in bringing Rosetta to iOS. What would they do with it? There isn't any x86 software that needs to run on iOS devices. Having the feature there is just one of the many side effects of the extreme expense of developing chips. Even a company with Apple's resources tries to reuse design effort wherever possible. In this case, the "Rosetta feature" probably doesn't add much silicon area overhead or use any power when disabled, so it can be present and dormant in iPhones without hurting anything.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BobHoward posted:

So, plenty of iPads and iPhones have shipped with the Rosetta feature buried in their CPUs. This doesn't mean Apple has any interest in bringing Rosetta to iOS. What would they do with it? There isn't any x86 software that needs to run on iOS devices. Having the feature there is just one of the many side effects of the extreme expense of developing chips. Even a company with Apple's resources tries to reuse design effort wherever possible. In this case, the "Rosetta feature" probably doesn't add much silicon area overhead or use any power when disabled, so it can be present and dormant in iPhones without hurting anything.

IIRC the Intel LTE modems have a little x86 core in them that runs most of the baseband software... not the same at all, but x86 snuck into mobile already! :laugh:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

movax posted:

IIRC the Intel LTE modems have a little x86 core in them that runs most of the baseband software... not the same at all, but x86 snuck into mobile already! :laugh:

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/Performance

It didn't sneak in, Intel just failed spectacularly at selling Atom for cellphones.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Atoms still live in NAS devices I think.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

movax posted:

Heh. I remember reading that some versions of Intel's Turbo controller are a 486 core, Xzibit style.

(Have also heard that Intel sometimes uses ARC, because why not)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

quote is not edit

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Heh. I remember reading that some versions of Intel's Turbo controller are a 486 core, Xzibit style.

(Have also heard that Intel sometimes uses ARC, because why not)

Yeah, the spirit of Jez San and Starfox lived on to become part of Intel Management Engine... what a world!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Presumably you aren’t wearing a mask when sitting in front of your iMac at home.

Touch ID sucked; it would fail to recognise my finger half the time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Atoms still live in NAS devices I think.

Atoms are still very much alive in embedded applications and low-end laptops and tablets, apparently they are no longer completely terrible, but ARM is absorbing that market about as quick as suitable processors are being developed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

16GB M1 Airs are now in stock at B&H, for anyone who doesn't want to wait to buy them BTO from Apple.

Speaking of which, anyone know the current turnaround time on these M1 MBP orders from Apple shipped to America?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Speaking of which, anyone know the current turnaround time on these M1 MBP orders from Apple shipped to America?

Go to the Apple store and configure what you want. It’ll tell you the estimate.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

jabro posted:

Go to the Apple store and configure what you want. It’ll tell you the estimate.

1 month. :gonk:

Worth the wait. Ordered.

Thanks for the tip, sorry it seems so obvious in hindsight.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1346553424410718208?s=20

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MacBooks are gonna have more battery capacity than Apple knows what to do with

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Atoms are still very much alive in embedded applications and low-end laptops and tablets, apparently they are no longer completely terrible, but ARM is absorbing that market about as quick as suitable processors are being developed.

The original Atoms were extremely slow in-order CPUs that tarnished that branding immediately. The current generation of them is a much better out-of-order design and in consumer use is usually branded as a Celeron or Pentium Silver. These are extremely common in Chromebooks where they perform perfectly adequately. But you're right that ARM is going to eat Intel's lunch in that market.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Three Olives posted:

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/Performance

It didn't sneak in, Intel just failed spectacularly at selling Atom for cellphones.

My daily was a zenfone5, the previous gen of those, which came out just before the big push for moving out of JIT execution (meaning that a lot of software would not work). Otherwise it was mostly decent(cameras were absolute poo poo) for the low end price.

Intel strategy to break the mold was to pretty much give the mobile atoms away at costs lower than production leading to a pretty big hole in their pockets(but a shitton of Chinese no name tablet and phones using those). Once their free offer was ended everyone moved to mediatek chips.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 6, 2021

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

That's a tiny rear end phone in their schematic.

Obviously you're not going to be charging the watch or phone while using the laptop, and I tend to shut mine when I'm not using it (mostly because of flying debris from kids).

I have two problems immediately on my wife's M1 Air, and my 16" isn't much better since the trackpad is proportionally larger.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

mik posted:

That's a tiny rear end phone in their schematic.

Obviously you're not going to be charging the watch or phone while using the laptop, and I tend to shut mine when I'm not using it (mostly because of flying debris from kids).

I have two problems immediately on my wife's M1 Air, and my 16" isn't much better since the trackpad is proportionally larger.

plot twist: iphone becomes the trackpad while its charging

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you slam the lid shut while charging your watch, Apple gets to sell you a new screen

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is the stupidest idea I've seen today, granted its only been an hour.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that they’re trying to figure out what to do about those big nothing areas on either side of the trackpad but not like this.

Maybe a customizable OLED with palm detection would be better, a better version of a Touch Bar that shows notifications or whatever?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Work finally bought me an SSD for this piece of poo poo iMac 5k with a HDD. I'm actually nearly crying at how much faster it is, this will save me hours a week.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Eh Apple patents all sorts of poo poo that never actually gets made. This would sort of suck though because unless I'm mistaken the laptop would have to be plastic for this to work?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

TACD posted:

Eh Apple patents all sorts of poo poo that never actually gets made. This would sort of suck though because unless I'm mistaken the laptop would have to be plastic for this to work?

Or a solid glass unibody :unsmigghh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TACD posted:

My favorite crazy Apple patent is an iMac screen with a tiny iSight camera (shows you how long ago it was) in between every single individual pixel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Legit major gripe that there isn't one USB-C on the right and the left.

I don't mind that there are only two ports but the fact that they are one side is really annoying.

Side note getting my dad a MBP was the best thing I've ever done since it makes screen sharing so effortless. I just log on and fix whatever dumb thing he's done and be done with it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think it’s a internal design thing where if they have a port on each side they would have needed two controllers where with both on one side they have one controller. This is based on pure speculation and my very limited and probably wrong knowledge of TB3 and USB-C.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How does the trade-in program work? I'm looking to update my early 2020 machine for an M1. I know they mail me a kit to mail back to them, but how do the charges get processed? Is the initial purchase pending until they receive the trade-in? Is it a chargeback?

I just don't want to get screwed by them giving me like $900 on a Apple Store gift card or something.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Depends on how you do it. If you have an Apple Card and do the year of no interest payments the trade-in price is instantly credited to you in checkout. If you pay any other way you pay full price then when they get the machine they credit back the trade-in price to your card.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I love my new laptop. I'm so attracted to the idea of no fans in a portable device that I don't think I can ever go back.

The screen has a barely visible dim spot, like uneven lighting, any ideas what that might be?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Bringing this back from a couple of weeks ago

BlackMK4 posted:

I just got a LG Ultrafine 27" 5k so I moved my existing Dell U2715H next to it in portrait mode. The dell looks super grainy / blurry now, is this caused by running two different scaling (5k and 2k) displays off the same machine under OSX, or is there some kind of setting that I need to change? To be clear, the Dell looked fine before.

It appears this is a known issue and due to YPbPr vs RGB

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

BlackMK4 posted:

Bringing this back from a couple of weeks ago

It appears this is a known issue and due to YPbPr vs RGB

You can fix this, first by using displayport instead of HDMI, and second by following the instructions here: https://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Some of this is probably moving from a 2018 MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM but running Chrome, Outlook and Teams with too many tabs would absolutely bog my computer down, but Apple Silicon Chrome absolutely flies no matter how many tabs I throw at it with any number of programs also running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jabro posted:

Depends on how you do it. If you have an Apple Card and do the year of no interest payments the trade-in price is instantly credited to you in checkout. If you pay any other way you pay full price then when they get the machine they credit back the trade-in price to your card.

Awesome, thanks! I went ahead and bit the bullet. Got an M1 as my work computer a couple months back and now I can't live without it as my personal machine. It feels like my early-2020 machine's fan is running constantly and it chugs along whenever I have a bunch of Chrome tabs and any Adobe program open at the same time.