Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

JazzFlight posted:

Heh, I only made the remark because when I first checked out the general board game thread here in TG like 3 years ago, it seemed like everyone hated The Dice Tower and Tom Vasel because he liked almost everything and just reviewed based on "fun." I got the impression that goons thought he was the mainstream ameritrash reviewer and that goons hated that and preferred dry euro sophisticated "real games." (Actually from watching DT content, it seems like Sam Healey might have fit that description more?)

I haven't really checked in on the board game thread since then, so maybe I was wrong?

Like I said, I love The Dice Tower.
The culture has changed, to be honest. I think the biggest target of ire in the board game thread now is lackluster Mid-Weight Euros with pasted on themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jedit posted:

"Quiverful" and "not an rear end in a top hat" are mutually exclusive. It's a movement of religious nuts with unhealthy attitudes towards women.

Fair.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
What's wrong with Radho? Haven't watched him for a while, but I always thought his walkthroughs were solid enough and I always found him likable.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Echophonic posted:

What's wrong with Radho? Haven't watched him for a while, but I always thought his walkthroughs were solid enough and I always found him likable.

quote:

Cashier: Welcome to McDonalds, what can I get you

Rhado: Let's seee....I know what I want, but what would Jen want? Now I see that you have the combo meals which comes with fries and a soda. There's several things she could do here. She COULD get the number 2 because she loves burgers and fries, but the drink...she doesn't drink anything but water and wine and I doubt you have the latter (laughs). So maayyybe we could find like a burger and fries deal without the drink.

(dead silence as he looks frantically at all three menus above the cashiers head, a line forming behind him)

Rahdo: BUT I COULD HAVE THE DRINK! So that means IIIIIIII could get the combo aaaaannnndddd we could take advantage of this $2 for 3 deal here aaaaannnnd get some nuggets along with Jen's burger because we both love them. I could upsize the fries on my combo using this (holds out a coupon in his hand to show the GoPro camera attached to his head) nifty coupon here. That would mean Jen now has nothing to drink though and that's going could be a problem later in the fourth round.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

:hmmyes: Fair. Never really bothered me, but I could definitely see it being grating.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
While it can be borderline unbearable to hear Rhado talk like that through a game review, it can also be kind of useful because he talks through some of the strategies that you'll be dealing with on any given turn. The delivery is grating, but the content can be pretty damned useful.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

Cashier: Welcome to McDonalds, what can I get you

Rhado: Let's seee....I know what I want, but what would Jen want? Now I see that you have the combo meals which comes with fries and a soda. There's several things she could do here. She COULD get the number 2 because she loves burgers and fries, but the drink...she doesn't drink anything but water and wine and I doubt you have the latter (laughs). So maayyybe we could find like a burger and fries deal without the drink.

(dead silence as he looks frantically at all three menus above the cashiers head, a line forming behind him)

Rahdo: BUT I COULD HAVE THE DRINK! So that means IIIIIIII could get the combo aaaaannnndddd we could take advantage of this $2 for 3 deal here aaaaannnnd get some nuggets along with Jen's burger because we both love them. I could upsize the fries on my combo using this (holds out a coupon in his hand to show the GoPro camera attached to his head) nifty coupon here. That would mean Jen now has nothing to drink though and that's going could be a problem later in the fourth round.
Lol, so true.

armorer posted:

While it can be borderline unbearable to hear Rhado talk like that through a game review, it can also be kind of useful because he talks through some of the strategies that you'll be dealing with on any given turn. The delivery is grating, but the content can be pretty damned useful.
Exactly. He really shows off the strategy and possibilities you have in games. Sometimes I'm intimidated with a new game if the manual doesn't give you a little guiding strategy to begin with. The whole "what am I really supposed to do here?" problem.

I also play almost exclusively 1-2 player games, so I rely on his recommendations for 2-player only experiences. A little less so regarding his aversion to conflict, since he and his wife hate attacking each other.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Rahdo is less than useless for his opinion on a game, but no one better captures the “feel” of a game & it’s decision space.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Honestly I think he's fine overall, and getting a basic run through of strategies can be quite good, although not the sort of thing I look out in reviews.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
rahdo's real issue is that he records every video like the monster from cloverfield is about to show up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

rahdo's real issue is that he records every video like the monster from cloverfield is about to show up.

Jen is a nice woman and I won't have you talking like that about her, got it?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

I also did a search to find the answer. Apparently Tom Vasel is one of those 'quiverfull' weirdos who believe that it's their duty to have as many children as possible or something.

Aside from the quiverfull thing, which also has a big emphasis on not being able to have children and developmental issues with your children is all because you're a sinner, he's an rear end in a top hat about things. He essentially fired the people running his local convention because they wanted to be inclusive and have a safe gaming space for everyone. I think the breaking point for him was the people passing out LGBTQ ally stickers.

He's nice enough to talk to in person but I'm sure once those topics come up, he goes off the deep end. Also, the yelling at his kids thing that has happened in videos in the past that were definitely not acting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tom Vasel needs to lose the hat + suspenders/tie, and either shave off the neckbeard or turn it into a proper one.
Like I get that the hat + suspenders is his 'brand', but it's a dumb loving brand.

You're inside mate, there's no need to wear a hat.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Also, the yelling at his kids thing that has happened in videos in the past that were definitely not acting.

Got a link to any video where that happens out of curiosity?

armorer posted:

Yeah Rahdo is great for looking up gameplay for a kickstarter game and seeing it be played out. He's always enthusiastic, talks through scenarios so you can get an understanding of what YOUR thought process might be when you play the game, and his videos are well produced.

He's straight and to the point. I feel like you know exactly what you're getting with him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Yeah Rahdo is great for looking up gameplay for a kickstarter game and seeing it be played out. He's always enthusiastic, talks through scenarios so you can get an understanding of what YOUR thought process might be when you play the game, and his videos are well produced.

He's straight and to the point. I feel like you know exactly what you're getting with him.
Also for like the past half year he's been exclusively wearing Black Lives Matter and anti-gun shirts in all his videos, so he kicks rear end.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sigh. Awaken Realms has decided they want to try to put Elon Musk in ISS Vanguard as a potential crewmember. Obviously they would need his signoff and have not currently received it, but I for one would really rather they not, both because having a real person in an otherwise science fiction game would be jarring, and because I think Musk is an rear end in a top hat. They are getting quite a bit of pushback, so hopefully they'll rethink.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Got a link to any video where that happens out of curiosity?

Him yelling to shut the door was originally him yelling at his young children to not bother him while he was filming his board game reviews. He kind of made it into a meme because people gave him poo poo about it. The first time he did it, about a decade ago, isn't available anymore because it made him look pretty bad.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

Sigh. Awaken Realms has decided they want to try to put Elon Musk in ISS Vanguard as a potential crewmember. Obviously they would need his signoff and have not currently received it, but I for one would really rather they not, both because having a real person in an otherwise science fiction game would be jarring, and because I think Musk is an rear end in a top hat. They are getting quite a bit of pushback, so hopefully they'll rethink.
Totally. Just a real *record scratch* ughhhhh moment.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bodanarko posted:

Rahdo is less than useless for his opinion on a game, but no one better captures the “feel” of a game & it’s decision space.

Yeah, I can decide whether I would like a game based on watching him play it. I turn the video off before he gives his opinion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homullus posted:

I turn the video off before he gives his opinion.

It's glowing. I've never seen him openly dislike a game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Welllll, he usually starts off by saying "here are my final thoughts on [game name], which folks, is a brilliant, clever, super-smart little [insert genre] game by [insert designer name]."

To see if he really likes it or not, about half-way through he'll say whether it's a game for him and Jen or not. It all comes down to how it plays at 2 and how much player conflict it has.

But the main thing is that he's said he just doesn't cover a game if he thinks it's bad. You might end up seeing it at the end of his list in his monthly round-up videos, though.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
They've already walked back the Elon thing, saying like "we didn't know there was controversy about him," which... ok.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

In an interview with Aldie, he basically said that for paid services, he tells publishers if he doesn't like the game and if that's not something they want to pay for, he understands and asks who to send the prototype to next. It's perfectly reasonable, and lets him keep his integrity.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Speaking of ISS Vanguard, if anyone is on the fence it's in the last 11 hours.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BinaryDoubts posted:

They've already walked back the Elon thing, saying like "we didn't know there was controversy about him," which... ok.

Aren't they a Polish company? I can understand that if you're not from the US and not hyper-online that he might still just be "that one cool space CEO guy" still. Either way, I'm definitely glad they walked it back. Android Buzz Aldrin or something would have been better.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That Elon thing is enough to make me seriously consider unbacking. He's such an absolute moron.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Merchants of the Dark Road just posted some production samples

Dice and metal coins looking dope

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 8, 2021

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm not even sure what the gameplay will be like, but I'm a sucker for the theme and attention to detail. Plus who can't say no to metal "coins"?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi folks. I realize not everyone notices the chat thread, so I'll post in here directly.
Kickstarter thread regular Dwarf74 has been made IK today, and this is one of the threads they've volunteered to monitor. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gilgameshback posted:

Anti-Semitic Hangman plus optional Covid denial t-shirts has been suspended.

Ah, there's some fun 'I'm not owned, you're owned!' follow up.

quote:

Sku Style's HANGGOV has received the Badge Of Honour from Kickstarter website yesterday! Kickstarter suspended the HANGGOV Kickstarter campaign after eleven days! HANGGOV was never about making money or profit, it was solely to spread the message of the deceit, fraud & psychological terrorism imposed on all by Government, HANGGOV has achieved this & is a complete success! Thanks to Kickstarter for giving HANGGOV the Badge Of Honour, always knew it would come!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Merchants of the Dark Road just posted some production samples

Dice and metal coins looking dope

Part of me is wishing I'd actually backed this. The other part is well aware I'd never get a chance to actually play it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, there's some fun 'I'm not owned, you're owned!' follow up.

quote:

Sku Style's HANGGOV has received the Badge Of Honour from Kickstarter website yesterday! Kickstarter suspended the HANGGOV Kickstarter campaign after eleven days! HANGGOV was never about making money or profit, it was solely to spread the message of the deceit, fraud & psychological terrorism imposed on all by Government, HANGGOV has achieved this & is a complete success! Thanks to Kickstarter for giving HANGGOV the Badge Of Honour, always knew it would come!
Ah, the ol' dril response:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=20

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Part of me is wishing I'd actually backed this. The other part is well aware I'd never get a chance to actually play it.

I'm sure there are enough goons that backed it (including myself) that you could find someone that could help you get a copy (such as myself).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fischtick posted:

I'm not even sure what the gameplay will be like, but I'm a sucker for the theme and attention to detail. Plus who can't say no to metal "coins"?

Speaking of Rahdo, his playthrough video of it is what pushed me over the edge to all-in on it for the deluxe version.

Here's the final thoughts video, but you can click-through for the gameplay vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJt6PXiNXs

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Here is a person making a good decision 3 months ago:

Hostile V posted:

Cancelled my pledge for SLA Industries 2e due to the very weird update about how one day you may regret taking the Sterility drawback down the line, heavily hinting at a very bad and weird direction, and the help of some friends making me realize I actually kind of don't want the game.
The stuff in the actual game about the Sterile trait is pretty meaningless; if it becomes known, you get some specific social blowback from some organisations which only accept fertile folk for... some goddamn reason. There may well be a completely awful reason why this is the case, but the game is mysterious about it because it's annoyingly mysterious about everything; it's very much in the 1990s mindset where there's lots and lots of metaplot secrets.

I did a review of it here but basically the new edition has some improvements in some parts but doubles down on some of the janky bits of the setting in other respects, plus it swaps out one kind of underbaked system for a different underbaked system which doesn't really reflect 30 years of progress in RPG design.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, SLA Industries was a game that looked kinda cool when I was a teenager back in the 90s and then turned out to be a mess. I wasn't personally expecting it to suddenly metamorphize into a must-have game now.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Warthur posted:

Here is a person making a good decision 3 months ago:

The stuff in the actual game about the Sterile trait is pretty meaningless; if it becomes known, you get some specific social blowback from some organisations which only accept fertile folk for... some goddamn reason. There may well be a completely awful reason why this is the case, but the game is mysterious about it because it's annoyingly mysterious about everything; it's very much in the 1990s mindset where there's lots and lots of metaplot secrets.

I did a review of it here but basically the new edition has some improvements in some parts but doubles down on some of the janky bits of the setting in other respects, plus it swaps out one kind of underbaked system for a different underbaked system which doesn't really reflect 30 years of progress in RPG design.

I’m a big fan of SLA, but the new system is a bit of a lemon. Love the setting though despite it being strange as hell and possibly not terribly gameable.

Did a podcast on this very topic actually.

https://twitter.com/adventuringpty/status/1346668849404502017?s=20

Warthur
May 2, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

I’m a big fan of SLA, but the new system is a bit of a lemon.
The thing which bugs me the most about the system is the fact that it has four different flavours of critical success, each better than the last.

The category names, in no particular order, are "Incredible", "Excellent", "Unbelievable", and "Exceptional".

Can you intuit from the above which order they go in?

Do you think if you did know the order they went in, you'd be able to keep it straight?

And the actual descriptions of what you get out of them are incoherent too, not least because they keep slipping into assuming they correspond to difficulty levels (when in fact that's accounted for at an earlier stage of making a roll).

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Warthur posted:

The category names, in no particular order, are "Incredible", "Excellent", "Unbelievable", and "Exceptional".

Please. It's a simple mnemonic device:

aahhhhheeeeuuuuueeeee

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

Please. It's a simple mnemonic device:

aahhhhheeeeuuuuueeeee

Ah, the John Madden Mnemonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Warthur posted:

Can you intuit from the above which order they go in?

Excellent, Exceptional, Incredible, Unbelievable. If it's a different order, the writers are wrong :colbert: