Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

azurite posted:

SD cards are not very durable flash. They'll poo poo the bed eventually, even sooner if you don't limit your recorder settings. For a restorable config, you should periodically make a tarball of everything under /config and copy it somewhere safe.

To my surprise, the built-in snapshotting feature doesn't help all that much in a disaster. It only captures a subset of what you need.

I guess makes sense, what with the whole finite write cycles for solid state.

Is there a way around this? I don't relish the thought of feeding this a SD card every 6 months. Or is a higher quality SD card going to last longer? I was using the SD card that came with the SparkFun Pi 4 kit, just ordered one of these as a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3GMRYF/

Is SSD a viable option here? If so, follow-up: can this be used as NAS, or is that inefficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DaveSauce posted:

I guess makes sense, what with the whole finite write cycles for solid state.

Is there a way around this? I don't relish the thought of feeding this a SD card every 6 months. Or is a higher quality SD card going to last longer? I was using the SD card that came with the SparkFun Pi 4 kit, just ordered one of these as a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3GMRYF/

Is SSD a viable option here? If so, follow-up: can this be used as NAS, or is that inefficient?

You can make the filesystem read-only and use some kind of external device for all the logs and other random tasks the OS needs to perform.

A guide: https://medium.com/@andreas.schallwig/how-to-make-your-raspberry-pi-file-system-read-only-raspbian-stretch-80c0f7be7353

And there’s a toggle for it in raspi-config but I have no idea what happens when you press it. I also haven’t tinkered with this process yet.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Motronic posted:

Wait what? I've totally restored off of nothing other than the backups HA makes.

Do you use Z-Wave stuff? I forget some of the particulars, but it didn't preserve enough of my configuration to work correctly from just a snapshot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

azurite posted:

Do you use Z-Wave stuff? I forget some of the particulars, but it didn't preserve enough of my configuration to work correctly from just a snapshot.

Yes, I use zwave stuff. The particulars of zwave pairings (not keys) are stored on the USB stick. This is not something that HA can do.

But restoring to a machine with the same zwave stick in it works fine.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, I didn't have to rebuild the network. That was preserved (thank goodness). For whatever reason, if I remember correctly, it didn't keep my encryption key (I wisely saved it elsewhere), and it replaced my Z-Wave entity names with different ones that broke all the configs/automations that WERE preserved.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

MasterOSkillio posted:

HI everyone, I have a question, and I am not sure if this is the right place for it, so if I need to switch up the post please let me know. My Dad contacted me the other day about my grandmother’s house and an issue with thermostats. Apparently, the heat there is all electric and there’s a crazy total of 8 old mechanical thermostats in 8 different rooms. This isn’t a big house, there aren’t a lot of rooms, just two floors, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, and two bathrooms. For some reason in the 70s when they built the house, they did electric heat, and it was common to install a thermostat in every room with the electric heat.

Either way he was looking to install a thermostat that could control all the rooms remotely via a phone, I have had good results with a Nest in the past, but electrical heat is a high voltage system (120v/240v) to the current thermostats, not a 12 volt like the Nest would use to connect to a gas or oil heat furnace and even then I am not sure how I could get it to control 8 separate rooms with electric baseboard heaters from a phone. Is there a way I can do this or a better option specifically for homes with electric heat?? Even if I have to get 8 separate thermostats could I get something like a RC840T-240? Or what type of other gadget do I need?

Okay, old post I'm responding to, but no one else has - I went through this last year.

The answer is that you need to use something like mysa which is a high voltage thermostat. And yes, you need to do a 1:1 swap of all your existing thermostats. (I used Mysa, and would recommend it - it does groups of thermostats)

With baseboard heating there is no central source of heat (ie a furnace), it's all localized to the room/space, hence why so many.

If you're existing thermostats are ancient with mercury switches in them, I'd highly recommend replacing them with new digital (not even mysa) ones which are a lot lot more accurate and not just on/off, but will do off/low/med/high. Also note some cheap thermostats dont even have an off setting but only have a low level of like 40f/5c!!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
This seems the place to ask.

I want to set up some around the house outside security cameras. The areas I would like to cover (front door, back door and garage) all have hardwired light fixtures. I don't really want text alerts everytime the neighbor walks the dog or whatever, I am not that paranoid about my stuff. Mostly I just want to keep an eye on my kids while I am working inside and have a record if something happens on the street.

Is there a go to recommended outdoor flood light and camera combo that would work well for this that doesn't involve monthly payments? Although, I have Apple Cloud Storage so that would be fine I just don't want to pay someone else so that I can access my video feed.

I also have a RAID NAS on a WIFI6 mesh network if that helps although paying an electrician to run cat6 to router isn't out of the question either.

Just looking through the last few pages maybe a Ring Floodlight Camera without the Ring service and hooked up to a Homebridge server so I can access it via my phone or iPad? Is there a way to have that auto store 'events' on either the NAS or to iCloud?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think the Anker/Eufy stuff can store locally either on SD card in camera or their security hub/video storage thing, although I'm not sure how it all works in regards to HomeKit. I have one of the compatible cameras and setting it to HomeKit disables some of the built in features, although I forget what exactly. And as far as their own features I'm not sure how it works with or if it needs to phone home for that stuff.

Another option might be non smart cameras and work with them all through Homebridge and/or the NAS, although I've only looked into it sparingly myself (...before just getting one of the cheap Eufy cams). Basically you'd get some ONVIF compatible camera and use a HomeKit plugin for that and/or recording software on the NAS.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Whats the go-to open source HA solution? I am just getting into this but want to build a decent self-hosted/managed foundation instead of getting deeply entrenched in amazon/google. I have an in-house docker environment so that would be nice to use if possible, or I can run it in a VM. Just looking for some terms I can google to get me started.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

Whats the go-to open source HA solution? I am just getting into this but want to build a decent self-hosted/managed foundation instead of getting deeply entrenched in amazon/google. I have an in-house docker environment so that would be nice to use if possible, or I can run it in a VM. Just looking for some terms I can google to get me started.

There is a docker official release. https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

Not sure what "terms you can google" does for you unless I'm misunderstanding the question..... just go to the Home Assistant web site.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Motronic posted:

There is a docker official release. https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

Not sure what "terms you can google" does for you unless I'm misunderstanding the question..... just go to the Home Assistant web site.

When I said HA I meant home automation but it sounds like home-assistant is the standard solution. What I meant was like "hey guys what's the goto web server software nowadays" and someone naming apache/nginx. I saw home-assistant in the op, just wasn't sure if that was the latest hotness

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

When I said HA I meant home automation but it sounds like home-assistant is the standard solution. What I meant was like "hey guys what's the goto web server software nowadays" and someone naming apache/nginx. I saw home-assistant in the op, just wasn't sure if that was the latest hotness

Ohhhhh...yeah, that completely changes the context of your question :)

I stick by my answer anyway. Check out Home Assistant. It runs on a Pi also. That's pretty much the default.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
My Wyze V3 cameras came early and OMG their nighttime performance is absolutely shocking. It's 2AM and our backyard literally looks like daylight.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So is that good or bad?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

So is that good or bad?

It's good

v2

v3

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the home automation thread or the Amazon Echo thread, so I'm putting it in both.
I got a new modem today, got it activated by my ISP, and now none of my smart bulbs are responding via Alexa. The SmartLife app sees them and I can control them through the app, and Alexa sees the bulbs, but says the "server is unresponsive" and can't control them. I tried restarting the router, removing every bulb from the Alexa app, disabling the SmartLife skill, re-enabling it and re-linking my account, and having Alexa re-discover all of the devices (which it did), and it says they're "ready to be controlled" but they're still unresponsive.

All the other "smart" stuff in my house works just fine (Amazon smart plug, smart microwave, Google Nest thermostat).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 3, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

It's good

v2

v3

Nice, what are the recording options, their cloud and SD card it seems? Can you access the latter remotely?

Xenomrph posted:

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the home automation thread or the Amazon Echo thread, so I'm putting it in both.
I got a new modem today, got it activated by my ISP, and now none of my smart bulbs are responding via Alexa. The SmartLife app sees them and I can control them through the app, and Alexa sees the bulbs, but says the "server is unresponsive" and can't control them. I tried restarting the router, removing every bulb from the Alexa app, disabling the SmartLife skill, re-enabling it and re-linking my account, and having Alexa re-discover all of the devices (which it did), and it says they're "ready to be controlled" but they're still unresponsive.

All the other "smart" stuff in my house works just fine (Amazon smart plug, smart microwave, Google Nest thermostat).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
I want to say check to see if the new modem is routing and giving you a double NAT situation, which might be loving with things, but I feel like if all the apps can see it and stuff it should still be ok. I have a security DVR setup at work with that modem situation and works through their external connection service.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use an Android phone and my wife uses Apple. Right now I have some small smart stuff (mainly hue, nest and alexa) but in my new house I'm planning on automating more stuff.

What's the recommended approach here for automation/iot glue? I'm buying new and get to run cat 6 everywhere I need to.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gyshall posted:

I use an Android phone and my wife uses Apple. Right now I have some small smart stuff (mainly hue, nest and alexa) but in my new house I'm planning on automating more stuff.

What's the recommended approach here for automation/iot glue? I'm buying new and get to run cat 6 everywhere I need to.

Z-Wave or Zigbee backbone, with a hub in a fairly centralized location to minimize maximum mesh-to-hub latency.

If you are feeling like running new Cat6 and are also of a certain... *ahem* "persuasion"... consider going for a few Unifi wireless access points and finding good placement positions. This will give you the option to also include WiFi-based stuff without necessarily flooding your network with additional traffic (since more lower-power access points means less high-power broadcasts, etc).

e: And get a NUC to run Home Assistant on. HA now has a native app for android and iOS, as well as the traditional browser-based interface.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can also link home assistant to both Google home and homekit

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Perfect thanks

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So I had heard that Philips Hue customer service was bad, but I had no idea how bad.

I've been trying since October 5 to get a failed E12 White Ambiance bulb replaced, involving phone, email, and Twitter support. So far their phone support told me everything was good, then they emailed me weeks later asking me to just return the bulb to the Home Depot which I didn't see until after the return period had expired. No one ever responded to my emails and while Twitter was initially responsive they have gone radio silent for the last three weeks.

I wish there were more decent options in E12. Normal size bulbs are a pretty competitive market at this point but candelabra still has a rather limited selection.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

japtor posted:

I think the Anker/Eufy stuff can store locally either on SD card in camera or their security hub/video storage thing, although I'm not sure how it all works in regards to HomeKit. I have one of the compatible cameras and setting it to HomeKit disables some of the built in features, although I forget what exactly. And as far as their own features I'm not sure how it works with or if it needs to phone home for that stuff.

Another option might be non smart cameras and work with them all through Homebridge and/or the NAS, although I've only looked into it sparingly myself (...before just getting one of the cheap Eufy cams). Basically you'd get some ONVIF compatible camera and use a HomeKit plugin for that and/or recording software on the NAS.

Thanks, the Eufy Cam 2 with Homekit Secure Video seems to be kind of exactly what I am looking for. The secure video stream says it does the image recognition locally on your Homekit device while also storing the clips to a local SD card.

A year of battery also seems reasonable, surely as lazy as I am I can replace a battery once a year.

One thing I am not clear on is if it will trigger on cars as well as faces? It says it will recognize faces and exclude known people but what I would also like is to record on unrecognized vehicles in my cul-de-sac.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have any opinions on Home Assistant vs Home Bridge?

I'm currently using Home Bridge on my Pi4, and it's nice having all of my devices in the Apple Home app, but the list of automations is a bit messy, and it allows my kids to do dumb poo poo like mess with my pool equipment (like the heater that burns piles of money to heat). Does HA provide any user-level access controls? Is the iOS app fairly decent vs the Home app?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Nice, what are the recording options, their cloud and SD card it seems? Can you access the latter remotely?

On Wyze it's all done through their iOS/Android app.

Yes, you can access the movies/pics remotely, again through the iOS/Android app.

Wyze doesn't have a desktop app yet, though, and that's somewhat annoying.

If you want to see the recordings on a desktop/laptop they recommend you use an Android emulator like BlueStacks and use their app in that emulator.

I only just realized that technically, if you have an M1 Mac, you could download the iOS app and run it in macOS if you wanted it there..

Eufy lets you visit a centralized web page that you can add 2FA authorization to for viewing your recordings, but then you have to pay for their cloud. They do let you have a 30 day trial to see if it floats your boat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Murgos posted:

Thanks, the Eufy Cam 2 with Homekit Secure Video seems to be kind of exactly what I am looking for. The secure video stream says it does the image recognition locally on your Homekit device while also storing the clips to a local SD card.

A year of battery also seems reasonable, surely as lazy as I am I can replace a battery once a year.

One thing I am not clear on is if it will trigger on cars as well as faces? It says it will recognize faces and exclude known people but what I would also like is to record on unrecognized vehicles in my cul-de-sac.
Eufy has their own detection but afaik it gets disabled when it’s set to HomeKit, so no clue how their stuff is. Also don’t have an SD card to test that out so just relying entirely on iCloud for now.

For HomeKit I haven’t messed with it much but there’s face recognition, while pet and car detection is just in general rather than specific pets/cars from what I can tell. It’s basically to limit recording events to actual stuff rather than any motion at all, like plants when it’s windy or something. In my case dust (ghost :tinfoil:) orbs in my garage can set it off when the people/car/pet detection is disabled.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Just general car detection is fine. Wasn't clear from their web page if it was only faces or what?

Also, one comment I saw on Amazon was that the motion detection is pretty short range, like 10', is this real or is this just random person nonsense on the internet stuff?

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I recently switch from SmartThings to Home Assistant and am having trouble figuring out one automation I was using. Essentially, I am trying to figure out how to have a plug turn on when everyone in the house leaves and turn off when everyone arrives back home. In ST, I had it working well with the presence sensor using the app tracking location. I've messed around with the Home Assistant map and also OwnTracks, which seem to track people well enough but can't figure out how to set up an automation that would work. Any suggestions?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Murgos posted:

Just general car detection is fine. Wasn't clear from their web page if it was only faces or what?

Also, one comment I saw on Amazon was that the motion detection is pretty short range, like 10', is this real or is this just random person nonsense on the internet stuff?
No clue on detection range cause I just have it for my garage when I’m not home (since it can be opened remotely). I wouldn’t be too surprised if it’s limited just cause wide angle = things can get pretty small with distance.

...but got curious and I’m not home now so opened up my garage and have been watching during this post. Cars going through the street in front are triggering it so it works at least this far (also seen smaller cars going the other way working too in case this one seems like an ideal case)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I only just realized that technically, if you have an M1 Mac, you could download the iOS app and run it in macOS if you wanted it there..

Just to confirm, I am personally using the iOS app on an M1 Mac, it works as expected, Wyze didn't opt out of M1 support.

Also if you wanted to run a local server, you can load RTSP firmware on the WyzeCam V2, I don't know why you would bother, but you can.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I recommend WD Purple SD cards. I've had one being written to 24/7 for almost a year now without issue.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone have thoughts on Honeywell Lyric for a security install? I've posted about my ancient hardwired one before (thanks Motronic/etc) and it would be nice to try and integrate those, which I think is possible with an adapter Honeywell sells, but they may be all one loop anyways, so could be a moot point. Looks like the Lyric is the only one available right now that does HomeKit natively in a reasonably sane fashion, and can export individual sensors to HomeKit which is cool. Looks like a newer version is out, but currently doesn't support 1) end-user programming, and 2) no HomeKit.

What are people using here? I do plan on setting up Home Assistant or HomeBridge in a container on my container host on my ESXi box at some point.

Also, finally installed my G4 Doorbell (Ubiquiti) after pulling a cable to deliver power to the jbox out front (Cat6... to carry 24 V :downs:) — luckily getting a pretty drat good signal out front and it streams at 6 Mbps continuously without any issues. Now need to get motion detection working better (yes, I do want to be alerted when my neighbor's lab comes looking for treats and I can't hear her, I'm not a goddamned monster) but it's pretty cool so far. Recommend Kyle Switch Plates if you need some weird-rear end plate to finish a job; I ordered one from there that 1) mates to a single gang box, 2) covers up enough of the stucco that was chipped away for the old one and 3) allows me to mount the G4 to it.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Home Assistant vs Home Bridge?

I'm currently using Home Bridge on my Pi4, and it's nice having all of my devices in the Apple Home app, but the list of automations is a bit messy, and it allows my kids to do dumb poo poo like mess with my pool equipment (like the heater that burns piles of money to heat). Does HA provide any user-level access controls? Is the iOS app fairly decent vs the Home app?

I was catching up on posts in this thread and caught some of yours; I went full Lutron Caseta for smart-lighting and never bothered with Hue. Easily the most stable "smart home" product I have ever used, have never had a single issue.

movax fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 6, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

movax posted:

What are people using here?

I'm using abode and it integrates well enough fore my uses into Home Assistant.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

I'm using abode and it integrates well enough fore my uses into Home Assistant.

I was initially thinking Abode, but reading up on it, it seems like they got bought out by someone recently and seems like support / communication with customers has gone to poo poo in recent months. AlarmGrid are the guys selling the Lyric and they seem to be really good at the whole "loving our products + talking with customers" thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

movax posted:

I was catching up on posts in this thread and caught some of yours; I went full Lutron Caseta for smart-lighting and never bothered with Hue. Easily the most stable "smart home" product I have ever used, have never had a single issue.

Thanks! I remember looking at a few of their smart switches, and I think switches would be better for my indoor lighting. No way my wife wants to control bulbs with her phone.

Outside, I'm open to either really. It would be cool to have wacky colored lighting around the pool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

movax posted:

I was initially thinking Abode, but reading up on it, it seems like they got bought out by someone recently and seems like support / communication with customers has gone to poo poo in recent months.

Well that's gonna suck for me. But I never figured a dot com startup alarm company was gonna be with me for the long haul.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Are there any go-to zwave/zigbee devices for Home Assistant these days? I'm looking for easy to setup/reliable door sensors, smart plugs, and outdoor outlets mostly. In the past, I've used Iris sensors/plugs, Aqara sensors, and TP-Link Kasa smart plugs but wasn't super happy with them. The Aqara sensors would always drop connection after a while and the TP-Link stuff was fine until the latest firmware update broke them (I also didn't love that they were wifi).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thanks! I remember looking at a few of their smart switches, and I think switches would be better for my indoor lighting. No way my wife wants to control bulbs with her phone.

Outside, I'm open to either really. It would be cool to have wacky colored lighting around the pool.

Yep — just need somewhere w/ Ethernet to plug in the bridge, and if you have need for a plug-in dimmer anywhere (i.e. floor lamp), Caseta will allow one of them to act as an extender if you need it. Hopefully your place has plenty of neutrals run everywhere, because their best dimmers (IMO) need it to run, but their highest end model can be configured to run virtually any type of lighting — ELV, MLV, incadescent, CCFL, LED, you can select forward/reverse phase edges... solid product. I think I literally have at least one of every Caseta device somewhere, including the "pro only" PD-10 for a giant incandescent fixture I installed.

My girlfriend still has a few Hue bulbs and I think we'll use them for exactly the types of stuff you said... wacky table lamps for funs, or random fixtures outside that are just on a regular circuit.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

kynikos posted:

I recently switch from SmartThings to Home Assistant and am having trouble figuring out one automation I was using. Essentially, I am trying to figure out how to have a plug turn on when everyone in the house leaves and turn off when everyone arrives back home. In ST, I had it working well with the presence sensor using the app tracking location. I've messed around with the Home Assistant map and also OwnTracks, which seem to track people well enough but can't figure out how to set up an automation that would work. Any suggestions?

Probably best to set up two automations. Unless I’m missing something complex it should be as simple as:

You can either add more device trackers as triggers. Or create a group of device trackers to aggregate their state into one entity.

e: You’ll also need your ‘home’ zone set up correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Slash posted:

Probably best to set up two automations. Unless I’m missing something complex it should be as simple as:

You can either add more device trackers as triggers. Or create a group of device trackers to aggregate their state into one entity.

e: You’ll also need your ‘home’ zone set up correctly.

Thanks! Looks like I was way off. If I added another trigger with that configuration, say another person's phone, would the two automations wait for BOTH phones to arrive/leave before turning off/on the switch?