Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I've added Hitman 1 to my IOI account by downloading just the Paris chunk and running that.

Does anyone see the GotY versions in their IOI account or is this all we can see at this point? I assume the old DLC stuff is getting carried over to HM3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the ioi identity/account page simply does not attempt to load for me in either chrome or edge

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jerusalem posted:

I did them all and I'll do 'em all again, I have a problem and I'm not even looking for a cure. :shepspends:

Have you met Discendo Vox?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCOtvriMkA

This... Doesn't look like a very good idea, tbh. Hopefully you have the option of turning it off.

Puts a point on the initial puzzle of "How do I get 'inside' the level". Makes sense to me.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCOtvriMkA

This... Doesn't look like a very good idea, tbh. Hopefully you have the option of turning it off.

It seems to be more like a psuedo-unlock system, so no turning it off. I think it's a great idea though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pilchenstein posted:

I see you've got your not-reading glasses on again :allears:

Yeah, the laws of nature and science as we currently understand them don't prohibit IOI from coding H3 (they wouldn't need to "patch" it since it's not out yet) to search your entire PC for installed copies of the first two games and using some kind of futuristic algorithm to determine which steam account owns them and if that steam account belongs to the same person as the epic account H3 is on and whether or not that person wants to effectively link their steam and epic accounts for the purposes of Hitman and then update a big database of all the steam and epic accounts they've ever seen to cross reference them as being linked so people can't share the first two games between multiple people - but I suspect they'll just use IOI accounts because it's simpler. Could be wrong though :v:

:rolleyes: you're insufferable.

No, they don't have to search your PC. They could maybe... look at your Steam account? You don't need a "futuristic algorithm" to ask steam if someone owns your game or not. Its called an "API".

Yes, they are using IOI accounts. But the IOI accounts could be updated to have more information. Its incredible how glib you're being while also being very ignorant. And again, you started all this. If you're so drat confident that the way things work now is how they'll be, then... what is the question? Why have this whole argument? Re-install H1 and stop posting.

Fellblade posted:

Epic already got in a load of poo poo for scanning peoples Steam folders so maybe that's not such a good idea.

Epic shouldn't do it but this has virtually nothing to do with Epic. It'd be IOI doing it, with steam users, opting in, through steam. There's nothing even remotely controversial about that and its how the IOI system linkup ALREADY works.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 6, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

No, they don't have to search your PC. They could maybe... look at your Steam account? You don't need a "futuristic algorithm" to ask steam if someone owns your game or not. Its called an "API".
Getting the player to sign into and link their steam account from within H3 is a process known as "using the IOI account because it's simpler", hth.

Zaphod42 posted:

And again, you started all this.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Considering how leery people are about using the Epic client, it's surprising that there's no concrete detail out there from IOI on moving your HM1 and 2 progress over from Steam to soothe concerns.

I know they've confirmed it'll be possible, but my experiences with Epic in the past (most notably, my account removing all of the free games I had picked up for over a week) don't fill me with confidence on how smooth it'll be.
:v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Elendil004 posted:

Have you met Discendo Vox?

I did that with 2, I ain't doing it with 3. once it leaves epic (and I have a PC that can reliably run it), you better believe I'm transferring the save completion over.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I did that with 2, I ain't doing it with 3. once it leaves epic (and I have a PC that can reliably run it), you better believe I'm transferring the save completion over.

Until you find out about a small tweak to the AI that makes all the challenges slightly different this time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The typical ingredients for bad challenges, in my eyes, are:

- Being forced to kill a large number of people. I know some people like doing this but it's not for me, even if I have done it before out of boredom. Bonus points if you have to kill an exact number of people.
- Having to drag bodies for ages and ages, usually past multiple guards that you then need to kill too. The physics on dragging bodies have greatly improved since the Blood Money days, but when you start having to drag them longer distances (or even worse, precisely place them on something) the flaws become very obvious.
- Waiting around for things to happen or for a window to open. Like Discendo said, this seems to affect H2 maps the worst because they tend to have more empty space (to disguise loading?).
- REDACTED descriptions that 20 years ago would have been obvious strategy guide bait, but now you can just look it up on the Internet so what's the point? Being amongst the first to discover them can't be that great as most of them are just obscure in-jokes/references.
- Things that were obviously not thought through properly given the mechanics of the game. Examples include the aforementioned ocean body dumping in Sgail (thankfully removed), flinging Sister Yulduz onto the Bangkok penthouse canopy (apparently easier in 2016 before they changed the physics, but the challenge itself wasn't changed for the legacy version), and posing as a knight on all the plinths in Sgail, which inevitably has you killing tons of people but then being unable to blend due to being "too suspicious".

Honourable mention goes to costume gimmicks, even if they can be kind of goofy and fun.

I've still done most if not all of them. :cripes: Maybe I'll do a list of the worst ones.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Hey, all I did was post some thoughts on how it felt like things should be clearer on transfering progress over to HM3. :v:

Of course, I spend about a year away from the thread and immediately step into a Zaphod slap fight. I wonder if they're like this in real life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe they'll make it like when the Arkham games all got replaced in Steam with GOTY editions, and when you loaded up the game for the first time you'd suddenly get a flood of achievements unlocking.

I mean, I'll be waiting for the Steam version anyway rather than deal with another game client (plus I'll be playing most of the Yakuza games for months) so hopefully they'll patch out any lovely achievements that suck to do in the meantime.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_9kxRX0mk

Trailer for PSVR.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Gonna be a fair amount of people excited to play this in PSVR only to sprint into the brick wall of the game not supporting the Move controller.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pirate Jet posted:

Gonna be a fair amount of people excited to play this in PSVR only to sprint into the brick wall of the game not supporting the Move controller.

Huh, that makes the trailer slightly misleading then, seeing as 47's move around like they're fed input by VR controllers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Looks like we're heading back to Hong Kong :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Discendo Vox posted:

Looks like we're heading back to Hong Kong :allears:

Chongqing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK0e181Cgy0

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There’s an IMHO quite plausible theory that it was originally meant to be Hong Kong but then the protests happened and IOI changed it to avoid potentially getting their game banned in China.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
drat, they really downgraded the graphics for the VR version. Though I guess that's unavoidable when you have to keep a 60FPS fixed frame rate on a PS4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pirate Jet posted:

Anyone serious about PSVR doesn't want anything to do with a Move controller. Its just too jank. Controller is the right move for consistent gameplay. And its not like anybody who owns PSVR doesn't have a PS4 controller.

ymgve posted:

drat, they really downgraded the graphics for the VR version. Though I guess that's unavoidable when you have to keep a 60FPS fixed frame rate on a PS4

Exactly, there's just only so much PSVR can do.

In theory PCVR could handle the normal graphics in VR with a good enough rig.... just gotta hope they port the VR support over!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

:lol:ed at "hang out... in Hokkaido" *drops dude off cliff*

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Anyone serious about PSVR doesn't want anything to do with a Move controller. Its just too jank. Controller is the right move for consistent gameplay. And its not like anybody who owns PSVR doesn't have a PS4 controller.

Exactly, there's just only so much PSVR can do.

In theory PCVR could handle the normal graphics in VR with a good enough rig.... just gotta hope they port the VR support over!

I did have a dream of playing the sniper challenge levels using my Aim controller but I guess I need to let that dream die

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVy71_ErDk

Camera seems a bit gimmicky, also isn't even a full-on photo mode.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chongqing level looks cool imo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hal Insandenza posted:

I did have a dream of playing the sniper challenge levels using my Aim controller but I guess I need to let that dream die

That'd be cool as poo poo but with the way those levels are structured they'd probably need revamping to work in VR? IDK.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

cool map but lol, setting the bar for AI?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do I have to make an account to actually play any of this loving poo poo? I bought Hitmans 1 and 2 but literally none of the levels are accessible, it sends me to the store page, but I already bought it so... I can't buy it.

E: Quit the game and Steam is doing a 32 GB download, I'm assuming this is unlocking the levels. What a pain in the rear end, I've basically had to install this game three times and I still can't play it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 8, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Camera seems a bit gimmicky, also isn't even a full-on photo mode.

Yes, looks very basic. If you are on PC and have an Nvidia card, it's possible it'll support Ansel since Hitman 2 did.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Do I have to make an account to actually play any of this loving poo poo? I bought Hitmans 1 and 2 but literally none of the levels are accessible, it sends me to the store page, but I already bought it so... I can't buy it.

E: Quit the game and Steam is doing a 32 GB download, I'm assuming this is unlocking the levels. What a pain in the rear end, I've basically had to install this game three times and I still can't play it.

Yeah, the way they do it is basically that the game is the engine and the tutorials, all the levels are DLC. It has its advantages.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dabir posted:

Yeah, the way they do it is basically that the game is the engine and the tutorials, all the levels are DLC. It has its advantages.

Right, I haven't bought all the HITMANS 2 DLC but I got the full version of 1 I'm trying to play in 2. Looks like the levels are accessible now, hope none of the online stuff matters since it refuses to connect to the HITMAN(tm) server.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm seeing a bunch of lovely preview videos by people I've never heard of who don't seem to have any past Hitman content or any meaningful connection to the Hitman community. Is this Epic sending stuff out as a marketing blitz or something? It's kind of annoying, especially since these people are almost universally terrible at playing the game correctly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Right, I haven't bought all the HITMANS 2 DLC but I got the full version of 1 I'm trying to play in 2. Looks like the levels are accessible now, hope none of the online stuff matters since it refuses to connect to the HITMAN(tm) server.
The game uses a dumb online-only profile system for all your unlocks and progression. If you can't connect you can play the maps but won't get XP/challenge credit for your unlocks. I think you can't even use any of the unlocked things like starting locations and smuggled items because while offline the game doesn't know you have them (if you unlocked them while online that is).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nakar posted:

I'm seeing a bunch of lovely preview videos by people I've never heard of who don't seem to have any past Hitman content or any meaningful connection to the Hitman community. Is this Epic sending stuff out as a marketing blitz or something? It's kind of annoying, especially since these people are almost universally terrible at playing the game correctly.

Please give a couple examples, just so I can watch a few moments and feel better about myself (the #1 purpose of the Internet)

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

The guy who's working on the Kotaku review "gets it" and is having a good time so far, which is unsurprising since Kotaku has previously heaped glowing praise on 1 and 2.
https://kotaku.com/hitman-3s-dubai-shows-agent-47-at-his-murderous-best-1846018248

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please give a couple examples, just so I can watch a few moments and feel better about myself (the #1 purpose of the Internet)

Here's one that showed up in my sub box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-CaG4E8Jyw

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean RTGame is chaotic energy distilled so him just going hogwild with it is fine. You shouldn't watch his Cities:Skylines for a proper look at the game either.

I won't watch his HM3 video's until I have played it myself because he is very far from a "serious gamer".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IGN has a writeup too

https://www.ign.com/articles/hitman-3-the-final-preview

quote:

It’s a tense spot. Here I was, face-to-face with my target. I could’ve easily stabbed him, snapped his neck, or shot him, but killing him in full view of several guards and his housekeeping staff would’ve set off a hornet’s nest of trouble. And so I waited. But then our meeting ended and I was asked to leave! Should I cause chaos now or wait to see what happens? AAAH! I opted for the latter and ended up needing to come back later with a new plan: acquire an elite guard uniform to get access to the penthouse, and then in classic Hitman fashion, poison his whisky and wait.

He at least understands how you're supposed to play the game.

Doesn't really say anything we didn't already expect though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's going to be exactly what we expect, so. maybe shinier graphics and fewer levels

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zedd posted:

I mean RTGame is chaotic energy distilled so him just going hogwild with it is fine. You shouldn't watch his Cities:Skylines for a proper look at the game either.

I won't watch his HM3 video's until I have played it myself because he is very far from a "serious gamer".

Without a doubt, it's just weird to me that he was one of the people chosen to show it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

orcane posted:

The game uses a dumb online-only profile system for all your unlocks and progression. If you can't connect you can play the maps but won't get XP/challenge credit for your unlocks. I think you can't even use any of the unlocked things like starting locations and smuggled items because while offline the game doesn't know you have them (if you unlocked them while online that is).

lol. I haven't had a game with this much technical bullshit in the way in years. Wonder if I can still refund it, it looks fun on streams but I'm tired of fighting with it to let me play. Wouldn't have gotten it if I'd known it was one of these bullshit games that requires you to connect to some janky-rear end constantly disconnecting server to play single player.