Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Satoshi came up with a brilliant method for initial distribution of bitcoin to the masses: having enough wealth to buy more video cards than anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the first step in smashing capitalism is empowering those who have the most capital

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kw0134 posted:

the first step in smashing capitalism is empowering those who have the most capital

it’s like fighting fire with fire, except for the part where that works sometimes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
see we make an even bigger capitalism that starves the first capitalism to death then we simply flip a switch and the bigger capitalism smoothly transitions to communism

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Hodling back the tears
Chance for me to escape from all I own
Hodling back the tears
'Cause no coin here has grown

I've wasted all my tears
Wasted all those years
Nothing had the chance to be good
Nothing ever could, yeah, oh

I'll keep hodling on
I'll keep hodling on
I'll keep hodling on
I'll keep hodling on, so tight

Well I've wasted all my years
Wasted all of those years
And nothing had the chance to be good
'Cause nothing ever could, oh yeah
Oh

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Boxturret posted:

see we make an even bigger capitalism that starves the first capitalism to death then we simply flip a switch and the bigger capitalism smoothly transitions to communism

what it we just take the ism and swap capital with commun

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

quote:

I fell for a Ledger scam a month ago. Still can't bear to tell my wife. The future has been evaporated right before my eyes.

I'm an idiot, I knew better, I was in a whirlwind frame of mind and actually pushed my secrets through my cell phone. They took it in a second and I knew immediately how loving dumb I was.

Took my wife every bit of pressure to let me buy 1.4BTC a few years ago. She has finally come around, thinking about all the things we can now do with $35k. I have to tell her it's all gone. I feel like such a fool. Can't sleep at night, can't stop fevering every hour. It's been over a month now and I still can't get up the courage to tell her. And it's only getting more and more painful.

gently caress. Don't be me. Thanks for letting me tell someone. Burner account, sorry.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

gently caress, don't i know that pit of your stomach feeling all too well

except i've never done anything nearly that stupid before (my posting aside)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

quote:

Unpopular opinion: Not All Bitcoin Evangelists Are Good for Bitcoin. Some are in it to enrich themselves.

People like Novograntz, CZ, etc who talk about Bitcoin only to further their own brand and do not care about Bitcoin. These guys use Bitcoin brand name to drive traffic to their own companies and enrich themselves at the expense of Bitcoin. Novograntz gets people hooked and then argues for big Government which is the anthesis of Bitcoin. Have we learned nothing from incidents involving Ver, McFee, Kim Dotcom, .... These guys are pests and Bitcoin ecosystem would be better if they just step back.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:monocle:you don't say!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
but but but i thought being selfish was good??

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what is a ledger scam

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

my bitter bi rival posted:

what is a ledger scam

I thought it was where you buy one and it's already been configured by third party who knows the keys

but this guy apparently just sent his password to someone? so maybe a tech support thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it's that you download a "bitcoin ledger" app on your phone, and put your keys into it so that you can use it send butts somewhere.

The app then uses your keys to send all of your butts to the app author.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jabor posted:

I think it's that you download a "bitcoin ledger" app on your phone, and put your keys into it so that you can use it send butts somewhere.

pesky transaction fees

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

KnifeWrench posted:

I thought it was where you buy one and it's already been configured by third party who knows the keys

but this guy apparently just sent his password to someone? so maybe a tech support thing?

ya i thought a ledger was a hardware thing so tahts why i was confused

Jabor posted:

oh no lol

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Jabor posted:

holy lol that's so much dumber than I even imagined

imagine spending money on a hardware wallet and then putting the keys in your phone

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

my secrets

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

my secrets
.gpg

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

quote:

Making my wallet more anonymous?

If I use a KYC exchange such as Coinbase, transfer my purchased bitcoin to one wallet, and then transfer it to another, does this increase the anonymity of my bitcoin? By introducing another wallet farther away from the kyc exchange, is my information harder to track? Sorry, noob here.

quote:

When you send it away from the exchange, you then have the option of being able to say, "Oh, I spent that Bitcoin for on-line Zen Meditation lessons and a subscription to be able to watch unlimited cat videos," or something like that.

If you do two hops, even better - but at a cost. I'd suggest watching the transaction fees, or use your wallet to set it to something low.

Also, memorize your 4th Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Make them get a warrant. Don't give them your PIN nor your private keys.

I think if you transfer it to a fourth wallet your obligated to ask the judge about whether the fringe on the flag is yellow or gold.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

fourth wallet, fourth amendment -- it's just common sense!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what if i tried to jumble up my coins? like imagine i dumped all my coins in a big pile and mixed them together with a bunch of other coins using something like say, a washing machine...would that work? you could call it coin cleaning or something

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boxturret posted:

what if i tried to jumble up my coins? like imagine i dumped all my coins in a big pile and mixed them together with a bunch of other coins using something like say, a washing machine...would that work? you could call it coin cleaning or something

I'm not sure. But I'm certain you would be screaming over the noise at your landlord about how what you do in your unit isn't his business.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

like a tumbler... what would we name it to sound Web 2.0 though :thunk:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
the fbi

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Shumagorath posted:

like a tumbler... what would we name it to sound Web 2.0 though :thunk:

"tumblr" is taken. maybe "laundr"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

coinbase down for 3 hours during a massively volatile period and bitcoin going >40k. probably a coincidence. those poor customer support reps.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Boxturret posted:

some sort of "coin laundromat"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

some sort of "coin laundromat"

Would it be in my apartment or would I have to share it with other coiners?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

orange juche posted:

Would it be in my apartment or would I have to share it with other coiners?

yes and yes

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

could this hypothetical "coin laundromat" turn someone's dirty money into clean drugs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I agree people into cryptocurrency have zero knowledge

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i agree, real partiots give away all their money and move to live in the middle of the ocean :patriot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

please don't move to florida, we're not actually a particularly republican state we're just held hostage by gerrymandering

also there's lots of scary latinos here that will speak spanish in your presence, you really wouldn't like it. move to the woods in new hampshire and irresponsibly feed bears instead i hear that worked out real well last time

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Buying property in parts of Florida is an advanced deposit on sea steading if you think about it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"nobody will be able to trace you with the new zero proof public blockchain"

:hmmno:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

yes and yes

What happens if the plumbing can't hold up (7 transactions a second!), the blockchain backs up and hash values spill into my half a million dollar bitcoin hovel in NYC?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Buying property in parts of Florida is an advanced deposit on sea steading if you think about it.

y'know i never really thought about it before but i bet a bunch of people (or at least corporations) are gonna angrily demand that they continue to own the property rights to the seawater that is now on top of their land

i wonder how that poo poo will even work legally, like the closest analog i can think of would be when a dam is built and they eminent domain everyone that's in the upstream floodplain, but that's a government doing something planned deliberately ahead of time. what happens when zoned land just like... ceases to exist all on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shame Boy posted:

y'know i never really thought about it before but i bet a bunch of people (or at least corporations) are gonna angrily demand that they continue to own the property rights to the seawater that is now on top of their land

i wonder how that poo poo will even work legally, like the closest analog i can think of would be when a dam is built and they eminent domain everyone that's in the upstream floodplain, but that's a government doing something planned deliberately ahead of time. what happens when zoned land just like... ceases to exist all on its own

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if there's some new* law/loophole saying you can instead incorporate or claim property rights for land A when land A is inoperable/inaccessible because you legally setup in land B which is 2 square feet of wilderness in the middle of loving nowhere across the country instead and that is technically accessable