Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, they're immortal, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

XIII posted:

I very much want to lead a spin class that's just me and a bunch of other tatted up former skater punks listening to lovely -core music with lyrics about doing pushups and being mad at your stepdad(s), while we take swigs from our water bottles that we all filled up with PBR in the parking lot.

someone should invent a water bottle that lets you slide a whole tallboy or 19.2 bottle inside it, instead of requiring you to pour it in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Make it a sleeve that disguises it as a normal bottle you can freeze so it keeps the beer cold. Holy poo poo yes.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If it gets people exercising, what's the problem? For me, I'd very much prefer the Wahoo bike if it ever got back in stock;.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I am anxiously awaiting the call from my LBS when the SB20 I ordered comes in.

it’s not going to be in until february :negative:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e.pilot posted:

How long ago was that :v:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have been paying attention to my power and my cadence. It seems like if I’m doing say 80 rpm relatively easily, making a small effort to push to 90 rpm can give me another 10 or 15 watts. Basically, being mindful of cadence is like free power. Is this a thing? (I was on a trainer when I noticed this, if that matters)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Dren posted:

I have been paying attention to my power and my cadence. It seems like if I’m doing say 80 rpm relatively easily, making a small effort to push to 90 rpm can give me another 10 or 15 watts. Basically, being mindful of cadence is like free power. Is this a thing? (I was on a trainer when I noticed this, if that matters)

It is a thing until it isn't, the most efficient cadence is around 60rpm( look at anyone poping down the shops in no hurry) watch a road race sprint and those guys are hitting 120rpm. So higher cadence = more power, but how long you can sustain this varies. Also, it varies between people Bradley Wiggins had a cadence of 105 for his hour record Lionel Sanders was just under 90.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

e.pilot posted:

At least you can order a bike. Mine has told me to essentially get hosed if I want to pay under $6000

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Dren posted:

high cadence will sap more energy from your system, and in turn give you a bit more power, but it's less efficient. Low cadence will take less energy per watt overall, but asks more from your muscle power, so going low cadence high power at the end of a long endurance effort will be very tough, even if you still have some gas left in the tank. This rule of thumb differs per person though, here's a decent article including scientific sources:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/...ower%20outputs.

and a couple of videos (also built on scientific literature) on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6I1z7eyXOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsoDLyO8To0

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Describing a normal (above 90rpm) cadence as "less efficient" might be technically correct for a single definition of accuracy, but it isn't true for any definition that is important for cycling.

Pedaling less than 90 rpm while doing anything harder than toodling down to the shops is bad for your joints, more physically taxing (but maybe uses slightly less oxygen, so if you're in an oxygen-constrained environment, maybe worry about that, but I won't), and will result in lower sustained power for a given perceived effort.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
More importantly a higher RPM is more anaerobic which IIRC makes you more able to eat an entire pizza and a six pack of beer without gaining any more weight.

Half the point of cycling IMO is being able to down your body weight in taquitos over the course of a month and not gain a pound.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 6, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Half the point of cycling IMO is being able to down your body weight in taquitos over the course of a month and not gain a pound.

ride fast eat trash

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

More importantly a higher RPM is more anaerobic which IIRC makes you more able to eat an entire pizza and a six pack of beer without gaining any more weight.

What?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know this is probably looked down upon by the cycling purists but I'm super enjoying my city's rental bike infrastructure nowadays. They're everywhere, well maintained, cheap (normal rate is 10 TWD/0.36 USD every 30min for the first 4 hours, but to encourage use they're subsidizing the first 10 TWD until March, so it's free for the first 30min), and super convenient. I now basically bike everywhere without even needing to lock up my bike or lug my Bromp.

The other day wife and I rode a renta-bike on our way home from seeing new years weekend festivities and busted out my iphone because we went right by a light show, and it was cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjXAwDqQSg

My friends and I finished a 1000 mile in a month for charity challenge by doing the last 10 miles on rental bikes in full TT gear.

Rental bikes are great.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Cadence vs efficiency depends on the power zone you are in and the speed/momentum you are carrying.

For me on flat tarmac it’s generally the following:
150W = 75rpm
180W = 80rpm
210W = 85rpm
250W = 90rpm
300W = 95rpm
350W = 100rpm
Etc.

Certainly Filippo Ganna doing 500W at 100rpm is putting more stress into his knees than me doing 300W at say 85rpm up a hill.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 7, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

You mean aerobic. And no it doesn’t mean you’ll be able to eat more pizza. To get from point A to B in X amount of time takes the same kJ / kcal.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 7, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I feel like everyone just falls into a cadence they find comfortable after enough riding. Is there anyone with 10,000km a year confused about candence and pushing at 50rpm? I doubt it. For new riders I would just say try spinning quite a bit faster than you're used to and see how it feels, and don't let yourself fight the bike - use a smaller gear and spin smoothly. I think my fitness and cadence are a 1:1 match. The faster I got, the faster I spin.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

I feel like everyone just falls into a cadence they find comfortable after enough riding. Is there anyone with 10,000km a year confused about candence and pushing at 50rpm? I doubt it. For new riders I would just say try spinning quite a bit faster than you're used to and see how it feels, and don't let yourself fight the bike - use a smaller gear and spin smoothly. I think my fitness and cadence are a 1:1 match. The faster I got, the faster I spin.

I've seen some triathletes doing insane volume with cadence in the 70s. Boggles the mind.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just ride a fixed gear and let the bike dictate your cadence

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

You mean aerobic. And no it doesn’t mean you’ll be able to eat more pizza. To get from point A to B in X amount of time takes the same kJ / kcal.

https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/why-fast-pedaling-makes-cyclists-more-efficient

https://www.nytimes.com/ask/answers...%2Dyear%2Dold.)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Loooooooooooooooooo oooooolllll

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Thanks, Stacey.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

TobinHatesYou posted:

Cadence vs efficiency depends on the power zone you are in and the speed/momentum you are carrying.

For me on flat tarmac it’s generally the following:
150W = 75rpm
180W = 80rpm
210W = 85rpm
250W = 90rpm
300W = 95rpm
350W = 100rpm
Etc.

Certainly Filippo Ganna doing 500W at 100rpm is putting more stress into his knees than me doing 300W at say 85rpm up a hill.

This is all moot because we know you don't have knees. Nice try though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

What do you think increases your BMR, having more skeletal muscle or having high stroke volume?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Let it not go unnoticed that the first article link says clearly that Tobin is right that higher cadence is aerobic, not anaerobic

mystes
May 31, 2006

This conversation has very high stoke volume.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

More like high stroke volume. Leg stroke volume that is. Cadence.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Next time you're on a group ride challenge your friends to a first gear only race.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

What do you think increases your BMR, having more skeletal muscle or having high stroke volume?

:wink:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

My friends and I finished a 1000 mile in a month for charity challenge by doing the last 10 miles on rental bikes in full TT gear.

Rental bikes are great.

Hell yeah.

I was actually just looking at the rates for the local rental bikes and see that they allow for the possibility of taking bikes between cities and charge a flat rate for moving between... I may have to try taking one the 400km across the entire island of Taiwan just for kicks.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Whatever, all-rounder.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

Whatever, all-rounder.

I'm only so round because of winter.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Is it possible to safely pack up an assembled bike in a cargo container being shipped cross country and not have issues? Or should be buying a hitch, and getting a hitch mount bike rack?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I have one of these: https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-eva-bike-pod and shipped it UK->US then across the country. Marginally cheaper than a hitch + rack.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hitch mounts are definitely the "best" type of vehicle rack, but the most expensive. Would a roof rack be an option? Much cheaper, especially used. People on craigslist are practically giving that poo poo away after it sits in their garage mostly unused for a few years. Last year I bought two $275 Thule roof racks for $75 total.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CL in Portland is littered with used hitch mount carriers. I’d say rooftop poo poo here is a little more pricey, but I’ve just been looking for specific mounts for my 3rd gen 4Runner that are not freely available, so my perspective is skewed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aw yeah on a big tall boy like a 4Runner i wouldn't really want to be trying to gently caress with roof racks

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm in the market for a tray style hitch rack and gahdamn they're spendy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Guinness posted:

Aw yeah on a big tall boy like a 4Runner i wouldn't really want to be trying to gently caress with roof racks

My truck is a 2002. Modern Outbacks are the same height. But I have a rad OEM Land Rover hitch mount rack for bikes, the roof is for snow and camping gear.