Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alacron posted:

It really is (read right-to-left)

It's also totally free officially

the Hell Lord being a loving, involved father is something I will never be tired of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Alacron posted:

It really is (read right-to-left)

It's also totally free officially

Well, my free time is sold! Thanks for sharing the link.

Between Mage & Demon Queen, DPS Only and the Sejics' comics (Punderworld, The Queen and the Woodborn, Sunstone, Bloodstain etc) this is truly some era for quality free comics/manga. I have loads I've not gotten to yet as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Back in the 90's/2000, Death was being hunted by a god called Walker.
Death ended up hiding out in Marlo Chandler because it left a portion of it's power inside Marlo.

So I guess Marlo is a hideout for Death.

oh, so a deep continuity dive.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #11 (1940)

Men Against Crime #7 (1951)

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #2 (1962)

Spidey Super Stories #22 (1977)

The Impossible Man Summer Vacation Spectacular! #2 (1991)

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Men Comics #11 (1940)

Looks like Warlock from New Mutants in the green trilby.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IYKK posted:

Looks like Warlock from New Mutants in the green trilby.

M'self

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Darthemed posted:

Men Against Crime #7 (1951)

The panel is great but Men Against Crime is the real gem here. Great name for a magazine, great name for a band.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From today's Juggernaut (#5):

Oh no, not the bees! They're in my eyes!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So the Marvel Universe now has a whole squad of THE PAIN?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
OK, a guy that can control/is made of bees is no laughing matter for anyone without stingproof skin all over. But how does Toad help?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elfface posted:

OK, a guy that can control/is made of bees is no laughing matter for anyone without stingproof skin all over. But how does Toad help?

They can eat the bees after.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't the Juggernaut's eyes as invunerable-ish as the rest of him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zaodai posted:

Aren't the Juggernaut's eyes as invunerable-ish as the rest of him?

No, Shatterstar once stabbed one but it healed quickly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, that makes him kind of a chump rear end villain. I thought he basically had a magic force field of protection from Cytorak.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He only has that when the writer can think of a clever way of circumventing it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Following the motion lines at least one of them is in his nose, and I don’t care how invulnerable your sinuses are it’s not going to be a good time having a hornet up in there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaodai posted:

Wow, that makes him kind of a chump rear end villain. I thought he basically had a magic force field of protection from Cytorak.

He does. The Shatterstar incident was Rob Liefeld not understanding (or caring) how Juggernaut's powers work. It never worked that way before or afterwards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

He does. The Shatterstar incident was Rob Liefeld not understanding (or caring) how Juggernaut's powers work. It never worked that way before or afterwards.

Wait, I know fuckall about Shatterstar, is that why he had that dorky tandem-bladed sword? To poke people in the eyes with it like he was Moe Stooge?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Shatterstar is cool, but like all Liefield creations, only became cool when he had absolutely nothing to do with them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Phy posted:

Wait, I know fuckall about Shatterstar, is that why he had that dorky tandem-bladed sword? To poke people in the eyes with it like he was Moe Stooge?

No it's because there were lots of sword guys in 90's comics already, and the only way to make a sword more extreme is more sword.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
parallel blades make wounds that are much more difficult to suture closed. it makes for a rather nasty statement. i rather doubt leifeld knew that, though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Shatterstar is cool, but like all Liefield creations, only became cool when he had absolutely nothing to do with them.

His recent appearance in X-Factor was pretty sad, but I loved that goober in David's run, even if David struggles to write gay characters sometimes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

No, Shatterstar once stabbed one but it healed quickly.

Is that why Cable keeps telling people to stab their eyes?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
No, I think that’s just cos someone stabbed his eye.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uthor posted:

That's just Cable's solution to everything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

No, I think that’s just cos someone stabbed his eye.

An eye for an eye just leaves the world as Cable.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Elfface posted:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mortimer_Toynbee_(Earth-616)#Powers

quote:

Paralytic Resin: The Toad's pores secrete an adhesive resin that allows him to stick to any surface and paralyzes the nervous systems of any living organism that comes into contact with it.

:science:

(Didn't Husk make out with Toad in Wolverine & the X-Men..? Maybe her flakiness at the time protected her. Or he controls his ooze.)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Oh, I remember that. It was actually pretty sweet, I forget ho they ruined it. Mind controlled evil plans probably.

Anyway, she husk'ed into a lady-toad for it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #14 (1942)
The catch-phrase that almost was.

The Thing! #6 (1953)

Fantastic Four #36 (1965)

Super-Villain Team-Up #15 (1978)

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1997)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like this one for how late the "Awk!" guy is reacting if you read the speech bubbles in order.

Darthemed posted:

Super-Villain Team-Up #15 (1978)

Because it's your name...?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Uthor posted:

I am not proud of knowing this but I believe that's Stryfe cussing out Apocalypse for teleporting away after he shanked him. You can sort of tell because he's going for full-flowery melodrama over grim stoic '90s gruffness.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

The original "I sleep/REAL poo poo" meme.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I like this one for how late the "Awk!" guy is reacting if you read the speech bubbles in order.

Because it's your name...?

He means why they only use his surname, it's a point about respect for him as a foreign head of state

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Drakyn posted:

I am not proud of knowing this but I believe that's Stryfe cussing out Apocalypse for teleporting away after he shanked him. You can sort of tell because he's going for full-flowery melodrama over grim stoic '90s gruffness.

That's from somewhere in X-Cutioners Song, so Cable's yelling at Stryfe. It's where they meet each other face to face.

Edit: I'm wrong, you're right.

Been doing a read of 90's crossovers with some friends. I've only read bits and pieces of X-Men from that era and it's everything I expected.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 7, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uthor posted:

That's from somewhere in X-Cutioners Song, so Cable's yelling at Stryfe. It's where they meet each other face to face.

Been doing a read of 90's crossovers with some friends. I've only read bits and pieces of X-Men from that era and it's everything I expected.

I love this picture so much.

I still wonder what the gun to the right of the rocket launcher is attached to, because it's not held up by one of the straps he holds.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

I love this picture so much.

I still wonder what the gun to the right of the rocket launcher is attached to, because it's not held up by one of the straps he holds.

Connected to the back of his collar, it pops up over his head. The kickback would be a problem if he didn't have permanent constipated telekinesis face.

Man I think I still have all the pack in cards from those issues in a box somewhere.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Uthor posted:

I had the unique pleasure of encountering X-Cutioner's Song in the tale-end of my uncle's comic collection, and only partways into it. It took me multiple issues to realize from context that the entire reason everyone was after this guy called Cable was 'some guy that looked like Cable shot Prof. X' and even at the time I thought 'how many people have the X-Men met that could've faked that super easily?'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uthor posted:

The gun in his right hand has two magazines. It's both a bullpup and a full rifle. What the gently caress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Samovar posted:

The gun in his right hand has two magazines. It's both a bullpup and a full rifle. What the gently caress.

it is also connected by a tube to what is presumably a battery pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My favorite Cable gun is from 5-10 years ago where the artists drew a silver Nerf Maverick in his hands.