Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just got this game yesterday and taking a break for today since my body was in no way prepared for how many squats I did. Pretty confident I'll get that stamina built back up in a couple of days, but I am shockingly out of shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out a lot of folks don't do a lot of work with their legs or core in their daily lives so expect stuff like planks and mountain climbers to also give you some trouble until you get your body strong enough to handle them. Much less the Other Squat types.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

clopping and cumming posted:

“Needlessly”?
The governor got sick after breaking his own rule on having parties with dozens of people in a closed space and closed businesses right after. Businesses were open for months before then.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

At least in NY, recent contract tracing showed that there was very little transmission happening in gyms and that almost all of the spread was due to small, maskless, indoor gatherings.

Anyway I haven’t been to a gym or any kind of fitness place in a year so :shrug:

I’m definitely digging custom mode, finally a reason to do the movements that act as healing moves in adventure mode! The jogging levels are tough without battles to break up the running, since the movements are shallow compared to actual running/jogging it burns out your legs faster I think. Kinda like when your bicycle seat is too low. Or maybe I’m just out of shape. Stupid surgery!!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Scalding Coffee posted:

The governor got sick after breaking his own rule on having parties with dozens of people in a closed space and closed businesses right after. Businesses were open for months before then.

Are you trying to say that all businesses should just be open... during a pandemic?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordiceius posted:

Are you trying to say that all businesses should just be open... during a pandemic?
It was ok when the governor thought so, for half the year. I am just saying he got sick for breaking his rules.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was ok when the governor thought so, for half the year. I am just saying he got sick for breaking his rules.

Just because the governor thought it was okay for half the year, doesn't mean it was even then. Everything everywhere should have been shut down back in March. In California, it drives me crazy how many places are "essential" businesses. No, I do not think malls should be considered "essential business." A craft store is not an "essential business."

It makes me goddamn furious. "Everyone needs to stay home and only go out for necessities like groceries. Also, the malls are essential businesses and can stay home."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Had to set it to Moderate exercise because I was starting to get faint. Stomach wasn't feeling the best, but all the moves except one were done correctly. That Knee to Chest routine wouldn't count as Great and it was hard to do. I'll look up a video.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You might need to adjust where the leg strap is on your thigh. Otherwise, you might not be sitting up enough or maybe are sitting up too much. As long as you can pull your knees up so your lower leg is parallel with the floor you should get full credit. You have to lean back some but not so much that you’re burning out your core.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

I hear getting covid is a great way to lose weight

can confirm, lost ten pounds in quarantine since looking at solid food made me want to vomit and was actively painful coming out. (but gained a lot of it back)

Also to not shitpost this is a great game for what it’s supposed to do. I’d like to work out every single day but even with my correctional insoles running in place gets kinda painful so it’s a workout every other day. Super stoked that this has like two New Game pluses too.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Not like this thread needs it but I just happened across this really fun review of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRBXFzOOKkg

I just made it to NG++ last weekend! Probably switching over to mostly custom mode now though, glad to skip the smoothie management (and perhaps actually do the healing poses more than once every 50 worlds)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Took longer than I expected for myself but I finally made it into the level 100 club!

Game is still good.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

can confirm, lost ten pounds in quarantine since looking at solid food made me want to vomit and was actively painful coming out. (but gained a lot of it back)

Also to not shitpost this is a great game for what it’s supposed to do. I’d like to work out every single day but even with my correctional insoles running in place gets kinda painful so it’s a workout every other day. Super stoked that this has like two New Game pluses too.

Apartment mode (or quiet mode? Not sure what it’s actually called) changes the running style so maybe try that?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a setting to adjust the screen size? The edges are stretching out by a few inches and I can't see my health or level.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a setting to adjust the screen size? The edges are stretching out by a few inches and I can't see my health or level.

The switch itself has a setting for that (under system settings -> TV settings -> Adjust Screen Size)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I found the quiet mode was hard on my knees since it basically wanted me to do mini-squats nonstop. Maybe an exercise mat?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Try it with an exercise mat and if that isn’t enough wear some running shoes? My wife had the same problem and that ended up being her solution.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I couldn't imagine playing with a without a nice thick exercise mat

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had to toe lock my feet to master the Knee to Chest.
That heart monitor is worthless. I used breathing exercises to get over being dizzy after the 15 minute mark and the rate is around 60 each time I measure. I can wring out my shirt after beating Dragaux. A much better overall workout than World 1.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I had to toe lock my feet to master the Knee to Chest.
That heart monitor is worthless. I used breathing exercises to get over being dizzy after the 15 minute mark and the rate is around 60 each time I measure. I can wring out my shirt after beating Dragaux. A much better overall workout than World 1.

For what it’s worth the heart rate monitor is usually very close to the Fitbit and Apple Watch I’ve worn at the same time, often exactly the same reading. Might be some other issue going on?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

TheManWithNoName posted:

For what it’s worth the heart rate monitor is usually very close to the Fitbit and Apple Watch I’ve worn at the same time, often exactly the same reading. Might be some other issue going on?

Mine feels like it's constantly under-reading like I don't think my heart rate is 70bpm after doing a level.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The heart rate monitor was fairly close to my Apple Watch reading... when I could get it to register my thumb, which was rare. I just skip it every time now.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Game is good, but I find that a lot of the little animations and menus take juuuust a little to long for a game that's supposed to be about a workout. I also didn't ask for your life story Hubby, shut up and give me a smoothie. The ring also provides a lot more resistance than I expected. Also I can never get the heart rate monitor to work, but I never cared about that.

It's not as good as going to the gym or getting a bow-flex kind of system (no space for that) but for 70 bux I paid for it it's hard to dislike.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just picked this up the other day and I'm really liking it. I've lost about 90 pounds over the past few years from diet alone, but I've always struggled to incorporate exercise into my routine. The stationary bike was just mindnumbingly boring, and going for a walk everyday is nice, except when it's freezing outside, so this is a good way to get in some exercise every day.

How many active minutes do you all try to do each day? I'm only into the third world right now and I'm generally just following the game's suggestions on when to stop for the day, which usually comes out to about 12-15 minutes of active time. It would feel more natural to do a whole world at a time, but I don't know if that would be too much.

Edit: Oh yeah, my friend code is SW-7035-6911-2618 if anybody here uses the social features on this game.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 13, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I aimed for a fixed amount of active time. 30-45 is a good workout but you can start at 15 and slowly increase if you want.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yeah for me it varies with which moves I do that day since some are way more strenuous than others.
Typically I want about 20-30 minutes since that seems to take me about an hour total, but starting out 10-15 is good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lester Shy posted:

Just picked this up the other day and I'm really liking it. I've lost about 90 pounds over the past few years from diet alone, but I've always struggled to incorporate exercise into my routine. The stationary bike was just mindnumbingly boring, and going for a walk everyday is nice, except when it's freezing outside, so this is a good way to get in some exercise every day.

How many active minutes do you all try to do each day? I'm only into the third world right now and I'm generally just following the game's suggestions on when to stop for the day, which usually comes out to about 12-15 minutes of active time. It would feel more natural to do a whole world at a time, but I don't know if that would be too much.

Edit: Oh yeah, my friend code is SW-7035-6911-2618 if anybody here uses the social features on this game.
Great job.

I noticed that there are experience medals waaay off on some mountains and the pathing won't let me near it. Is that a NG+ area?
What exactly can I vacuum/blow for benefits besides rings, wood panels, xp medals, and souls of animals?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 13, 2021

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Great job.

I noticed that there are experience medals waaay off on some mountains and the pathing won't let me near it. Is that a NG+ area?
What exactly can I vacuum/blow for benefits besides rings, wood panels, xp medals, and souls of animals?

You might be lacking the travel options to get to them right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the process of connecting your Nintendo account? Not the one where you need a Wii U or 3DS. I would like to get a friend code as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chin Strap posted:

I aimed for a fixed amount of active time. 30-45 is a good workout but you can start at 15 and slowly increase if you want.

I've been 15 minutes at most before total exhaustion for almost three months now :smith:

Then again I've been pretty demoralized the last couple weeks and haven't really worked out at all, anyway :smith::smith:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I've been 15 minutes at most before total exhaustion for almost three months now :smith:

Then again I've been pretty demoralized the last couple weeks and haven't really worked out at all, anyway :smith::smith:

It also depends what difficulty number you are setting it at. Higher difficulty is going to skew the session more towards fights and gyms, lower difficulty will mean more of your active time is running the levels. And of course how much experience you've had with working out in the past.

Still do something that is the most important.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I track my workout on my Apple Watch and generally work out for about a half hour. Doesn’t always translate to the same amount of in-game time. I don’t know if I’ve ever done 30 minutes on the in-game timer that seems like a lot actually

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I track my workout on my Apple Watch and generally work out for about a half hour. Doesn’t always translate to the same amount of in-game time. I don’t know if I’ve ever done 30 minutes on the in-game timer that seems like a lot actually

It's usually closer to 30 minutes IRL for me too, I should clarify that I'm going by the ingame timer

Chin Strap posted:

It also depends what difficulty number you are setting it at. Higher difficulty is going to skew the session more towards fights and gyms, lower difficulty will mean more of your active time is running the levels. And of course how much experience you've had with working out in the past.

Still do something that is the most important.

Difficulty 15 right now - right in the middle, been there almost a month. Sedentary the vast majority of my life, barring the odd gym stint, until starting Ring Fit almost 4 months ago

Sidenote: Tree Pose is literally loving impossible, I cannot balance on one leg with any reliability, especially my right - let alone get my other foot onto my thigh, let alone hold the ring above my head, let alone bend. But RPG stats means it has to be there for green single target. That feels kinda bad

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ciaphas posted:

Sidenote: Tree Pose is literally loving impossible, I cannot balance on one leg with any reliability, especially my right - let alone get my other foot onto my thigh, let alone hold the ring above my head, let alone bend. But RPG stats means it has to be there for green single target. That feels kinda bad

Tree pose fuckin' sucks, and even being in okay shape I had to do ring fit for months before I could do tree pose reliably.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Funnily enough, the running is the most challenging part for me. But I've been a certified cardio-hater my whole life. I'm starting on difficulty 13 and I'm finding the enemy battles a welcome respite from the jogging.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I just hit day 50 and I'm super impressed by the results. I've been gradually turning up the difficulty, and just exercising until it says "how about we stop there for the day". I do one session 3 or 4 days a week. The results have been fantastic. I've lost weigh and put on muscle, and had fun doing it. Ring Fit is pretty much my only exercise at the moment.

Before I got Ring Fit, I had been playing Wii Fit U for a few months, and it's pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Ring Fit.

Side note about the yoga in Ring Fit - it's way harder than on the Wii U. I feel everyone's pain about the tree pose!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Switch thread recommended me this game a couple of days ago and I just did my first session last night! Thank you one day postage. Also thank you goon who told me to expect lots of squats. This is going to be a good supplement to home boxing workouts and home yoga workouts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Any exercise that starts off feeling impossible is an exercise you just haven't gotten much experience with yet.

In time all will become fairly manageable and then you can ramp up the difficulty a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Ring Fit Adventure: I didn't ask for your life story Hubby, shut up and give me a smoothie.