Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Day of the Daleks is a highly underrated serial, it's one of the first stories to really play around with time travel and it has an excellent supporting villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

From memory that was the first ever serial to do the thing where images of the previous Doctors are shown in a sequence to establish/remind that this IS the Doctor, right?

Yeah - it was also the first time that Pertwee had met an enemy that had appeared under a previous Doctor (and it only happens with the Daleks, perhaps unsurprisingly).

They also have the title sequence as the background animation for the mind analysis device* which implies that, well, I have no idea what it implies.

*No! Not the mind analysis device!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Day of the Daleks is a highly underrated serial, it's one of the first stories to really play around with time travel and it has an excellent supporting villain.

On the other hand, Ogrons.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They also have the title sequence as the background animation for the mind analysis device* which implies that, well, I have no idea what it implies.

*No! Not the mind analysis device!

The title sequence is the Doctor having his mind probed* and then we see the stories it's looking at - perhaps it's him as the Curator jotting down his memoirs

*What. No. Not the mind probe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the new episode.

Jack was great as always. I really liked the new Dalek design.

I'm out of nice things to say about it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yaz sure was there and got along great with Jack

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

Yaz sure was there and got along great with Jack

Her scenes with Jack were really good (the line about him needing lots of positive reinforcement was great), please give her more things to do now that there are less companions!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Open Source Idiom posted:

On the other hand, Ogrons.

If they had done the slightly more daring option of waiting longer for it to be revealed that the Controller was working for the daleks, to a modern ear his attitude towards the Ogrons ("they're just savages that do what we tell them", paraphrased) would be a good sign of him being not entirely on the up and up.

Back in the 70s though, all bets are off.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
In the realm of me feeling very stupid: the Fam had to wait 10 months before the Doctor came back into their lives. Revolution of the Daleks aired 10 months after the last episode of the previous season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Okay, I'm sorely tempted to just try and tease out what you thought the "King James" in "King James Bible" meant.

But; Alan Cumming (Who is, by the way, a treasure, and I will no joke fight you. Go watch Plunkett and Maclean and Josie and the Pussycats. He's also been in some good movies but hes having the most fun in those two movies) was playing King James VI (aka King James I). He was a religious man and paid for the first ever translation of the bible into the english language, hence "King James Bible" referring to a particular translation. So yes, he was playing "the bible guy". Also the king Guy Fawkes tried to blow up, if "the gunpowder plot" means anything to you?

As for his involvement in witch huntery, well, he pretty much wrote the book on witch hunting. Specifically the book he wrote was called Daemonologie and was (this lifted verbatim from wikipedia) "a political yet theological statement to educate a misinformed populace on the history, practices and implications of sorcery and the reasons for persecuting a witch in a Christian society under the rule of canonical law.". It heavily inspired witch trials/witch hunters in the following century or so.

First, I loved Josie and the Pussycats and I don't think I effectively conveyed that I loved his performance and like the guy (I also really like Paul Reubins but I had to google that to avoid saying Peewee again).

I legit know more about LOTR history than I do about any european period with kings, which in my defense, all sound exactly as made up as every fantasy novel I've ever read, except in the IRL version everyone has exceptionally mundane names and it's hard to see someone as a protagonist or king with a name like Bob + a number(not to mention the numbers are about as consistent and useful as Xbox version names). Nebuchadnezzar... now that's a fuckin King's name if I ever heard one. My general template for an idea of a euro king is some rich dickhead in an office/castle tossing his weight around just like any other rich bastard with more power than anyone can possible deserve, so it's weird for me to imagine a Jeff Bezos slithering into a warehouse somewhere to hunt down workers for trying to take a bathroom break.

My recollection of King James is that once upon a time George RR Martin Luther Burger King's Jr was mad at the catholic church for being corrupt and evil shitweeds and he wrote a mean comment on their official facebook page where everyone could see it. Then he decided to take the catholic's lovely version of Paul's lovely bible and write a new equally lovely version that everyone except this time germans could read it instead of just latinos.

Anyway, King James one day wanted to get a divorce or something and the pope was all like "no, do our rules" and it was really causing problems for all these people who were split between two incredibly dumb authorities so he paid some other dude to copy burger king's idea but by writing a lovely paulian bible in a cringey self-indulgent english prose style. He used this new bible to make a new church that basically let him more easily do whatever it was he was going to be doing anyway.

Which I'm now learning involved getting hands-on involved with their era's non-consensual snuff films as well as wrote pre-DnD fantasy tabletop setting Core Rules Book except he went too deep and thought it was real life.

Cerv posted:

also, gay as all hell

Hahaha what? Is this fake news? Neither evangelical church or texas public school adequately covered this topic

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 6, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Narsham posted:

In the realm of me feeling very stupid: the Fam had to wait 10 months before the Doctor came back into their lives. Revolution of the Daleks aired 10 months after the last episode of the previous season.

I wouldn't feel too bad. Before I looked it up, I didn't remember the last new episode aired in 2020. I thought it had been way longer.

Time is weird lately.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So seent the episode where a new prequel Doctor makes an appearance. Got a couple questions.

IIRC we have a new doctor because like the timelords all pitched in on a spirit bomb or something to let the doctor have a new cycle, right? but that made them like all die or disappear or something? so did they do that before or is it just a big show to make it seem like a big deal but really they can just toss in some new regen juice batteries whenever they want.

Second, since there are maybe infinite doctors in the past, memory-erased somehow from the doctor, could a "prequel" series work? It's interesting to think about how or if it would be functionally any different. Doctor already exists out of order and even for people observing them, it's natural for them to change forms and appear at arbitrary intervals. Could a prequel series be a good excuse to bring Clara back, or, hmm, actually how does that work? Did Clara like, guardian angel for the infinite doctors before the current one, or did she only do that for the first 12? Nevermind, also remembering she erased herself from their memories anyway. Whatever, always room for a Clara & Ashildr show sans doctor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

First, I loved Josie and the Pussycats and I don't think I effectively conveyed that I loved his performance and like the guy (I also really like Paul Reubins but I had to google that to avoid saying Peewee again).

I legit know more about LOTR history than I do about any european period with kings, which in my defense, all sound exactly as made up as every fantasy novel I've ever read, except in the IRL version everyone has exceptionally mundane names and it's hard to see someone as a protagonist or king with a name like Bob + a number(not to mention the numbers are about as consistent and useful as Xbox version names). Nebuchadnezzar... now that's a fuckin King's name if I ever heard one. My general template for an idea of a euro king is some rich dickhead in an office/castle tossing his weight around just like any other rich bastard with more power than anyone can possible deserve, so it's weird for me to imagine a Jeff Bezos slithering into a warehouse somewhere to hunt down workers for trying to take a bathroom break.

My recollection of King James is that once upon a time George RR Martin Luther Burger King's Jr was mad at the catholic church for being corrupt and evil shitweeds and he wrote a mean comment on their official facebook page where everyone could see it. Then he decided to take the catholic's lovely version of Paul's lovely bible and write a new equally lovely version that everyone except this time germans could read it instead of just latinos.

Anyway, King James one day wanted to get a divorce or something and the pope was all like "no, do our rules" and it was really causing problems for all these people who were split between two incredibly dumb authorities so he paid some other dude to copy burger king's idea but by writing a lovely paulian bible in a cringey self-indulgent english prose style. He used this new bible to make a new church that basically let him more easily do whatever it was he was going to be doing anyway.

Which I'm now learning involved getting hands-on involved with their era's non-consensual snuff films as well as wrote pre-DnD fantasy tabletop setting Core Rules Book except he went too deep and thought it was real life.

Hahaha what? Is this fake news? Neither evangelical church or texas public school adequately covered this topic

Sure, I get ya, like how george washington carver crossed the alamo in the war of 1812.

Okay, the "new church" was the Church of England (Anglican church). Which was started by Henry VIII, about 50-60 years (and 3-4 monarchs) before James VI came to the throne. And was nothing to do with Martin Luther. The Church of Scotland is a protestant church, but the Church of England was Henry separating England from Catholicism due to not being allowed more divorces. And also because the monastaries had land and riches that he thought would be better under his control.

You arent supposed to see them as protagonists, they were real people (and mainly arseholes, you dont hold on to a throne by being nice). Yes in real life most people have real life names.

And while it is always a little risky to categorize historical figures by modern standards (on the one hand, the way people express affection for each other has changed so it may be misleading to draw conclusions from turns of phrase in letters and such, on the other a lot of historians in the past took a "There were no gays between ancient greece and the 1960s, we have no idea why this picture shows two people of the same sex in bed together. They must have been close friends" attitude which erased that aspect of a great many people for a long time) , its generally accepted that yes, James VI/I was Gay As Hell (or possibly Bi as he was rumored to have had female lovers also. He fathered several children, but that actually doesnt tell you anything about his sexuality because it was just what kings were expected to do. He repeatedly promoted his favourite George Villiers (the Duke Of Buckinghamshire. He's in the three musketeers. In the best version he was played by Orlando Bloom). Like super repeatedly. To a "Not even trying to hide the nepotism" level.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank you parsing my crackhead history and responding with some dope history.

drat, I would totally watch a show with the pitch of the Bi Witch-Hunting King and fanfic author and his boyfriend, one of the original candy bars.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Master with the Cyberiad, standing in the ruins of Gallifrey with an army of hybrid Time Lords

Well, I guess that solves Series 9's little puzzle quite nicely, doesn't it?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Time Lords have been shown to be able to give fresh regeneration cycles before: they gave the Master a new one for the Time War, despite him having wasted all of his regenerations already, not being in a Gallifreyian body at the time, and also being quite dead. The Timeless Child was a retcon by a new showrunner.

As far as I can figure it out, for the Master, across strictly canon stuff it goes: Delgado (13th incarnation of the original body), Beevers (failed regeneration attempt), Ainley (stolen Tremas body), Tipple (who might a body double be the Ainley version), Roberts (GCI snake in human body), McQueen (New cycle!), possible other War incarnations, if the Titan comics are canon, Jacobi (War), Simms (sans beard, but later has beard), Gomez (Missy), Mckee and Dhawan.

The Master's timeline is confusing and has been heavily retconned and altered by different writers, but that's the nature of the franchise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've just seen the Timeless Children episode, S12 finale.

Hmm.

Well.

If they'd gone just a step further they could've turned all of Who into one of those little short stories where it turns out everyone is God. Getcha a little piece of doctor god in all organic beings, come on! Also I guess this makes The Doctor no longer one of the last Timelords, and instead is actually the only one of whatever it once was, mind-wipe raised by a race and civilization of people who were created out of some hosed up genetic engineering?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Still thinking the Master is the Timeless Child and he was having a laugh with the Doctor, as he wants to do. It would be Chibnall trying to make his mark on the show by having a still terrible retcon, but one that doesn't nearly ruin the main character's entire legacy. Like I'm fine with them loving with stuff, wibbly wobbly, etc, but there are some things you just don't change, and the 1st Doctor nicking a time machine, with or without Clara's interference, and enjoying some peace and quiet in a 1960s junkyard is how the character starts. You don't need to really know anything further back than that.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I never watched much Old-Who, maybe a half-dozen episodes. I recently got into Nu-Who and binged from S1 to the latest and binging through it has made me realize I had the same reaction to each new Doctor: "ehhhhh" then by like episode 6 of their season I'm fully into it. JW is a great Doctor and I hope she isn't leaving because of any backlash. I hope this "rule of 3 (seasons)" doesn't become an actual thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's been a thing for a long while now, not a rule, but most Doctors have only done 3 years. Patrick Troughton famously advised Peter Davison that 3 years was optimal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tom Baker is the outlier.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
His appearance with Matt Smith wasn't scripted, he just wandered in and started talking some poo poo. Staff were advised to look down and not make eye-contact, or he would take it as a challenge to his dominance and immediately kill Smith and return to being the Doctor.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
everyone saw what happened to Colin Baker after he said he'd want to beat Tom's record and decided not to chance it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nary a mention of Pertwee's 5-year stint, for shame :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nary a mention of Pertwee's 5-year stint, for shame :colbert:

5 years should be the base minimum, agreed :hai:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Still thinking the Master is the Timeless Child and he was having a laugh with the Doctor, as he wants to do. It would be Chibnall trying to make his mark on the show by having a still terrible retcon, but one that doesn't nearly ruin the main character's entire legacy. Like I'm fine with them loving with stuff, wibbly wobbly, etc, but there are some things you just don't change, and the 1st Doctor nicking a time machine, with or without Clara's interference, and enjoying some peace and quiet in a 1960s junkyard is how the character starts. You don't need to really know anything further back than that.

Personally I've never felt like I needed to go any further than the christopher eccleston doctor. The original origins are... fine, I guess, I get the temptation to make some crazy origin story but idk a lot of the fun of Who is kind of working around its own wonky wobbly canon. This timeless child business certainly shakes some canon, but it's not very apparent why and it doesn't seem like a good enough story to bother wrenching itself in so forcefully.

Doctor was super disgusted by the idea of timelord-regenerating cyberman, but it kind of makes me wonder... like, does the doctor contain the secret of eternal life and you can apparently jam it into yourself pretty easily? I guess it's a question along the lines of "was jesus morally obligated to feed all of the hungry in the world given his ability to make infinite copies of food?"

If Cybermen don't get to be immortal regenerators, should Timelords be allowed to be? Or is it only okay if a colonist does it to an alien baby and they just kind of grandfather in this questionable ethical experimentation.

The Master could be lying about things for sure, I wouldn't be surprised to find out The Master is just The Doctor going through a dark mirror journey of all the pessimistic negative qualities and stress of witnessing genocidal horrors and whatnot. Then at some point they kiss and makeup and have a baby with themselves and give birth to Doctor Master who is the unified form of them both.

P.S. Regarding this jail The Doctor was put in by the Rocksteadies, I've seen the doctor escape some kind of eternal jail maze tomb by doing infinity punches at a diamond wall so this jail that's just a cool Mario Galaxy level with cartoon prison bars she can look out into space from seems like a really weakass prison.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 7, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect that Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi would have stuck around for the same amount of time as they ever did, but might have filmed more seasons if there had been more seasons to film.

Not a fan of these huge breaks between seasons.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect that Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi would have stuck around for the same amount of time as they ever did, but might have filmed more seasons if there had been more seasons to film.

Not a fan of these huge breaks between seasons.

That's my thought as well, if Moffat hadn't so spectacularly bungled the behind the scenes stuff (which necessitated the lengthy breaks), he probably would've gotten at least one more full season out of either Smith or Capaldi, or both.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chibnall's poo poo show really makes you yearn for the Moff days, bad as they had gotten.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Chibnall's poo poo show really makes you yearn for the Moff days, bad as they had gotten.

Ehhhh, it’s two halves of the same coin really. Chibnall is a poo poo writer but Moffat was a godawful showrunner. Whitaker would have only gotten a handful of budget-crunched specials so far under Moffat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my regrets is that we never got to see RTD write a Doctor Who story without having the added pressure of being the showrunner. I would have loved to have seen him write a story during Moffat's run (though he did do the Matt Smith episode of Sarah Jane Adventures, which was a hoot).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

If Chibnall had any sense of fun (he clearly doesn't), he'd invite RTD and Moffat back to write eps.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

Maybe the Master gets infinite regenerations, dies, gets shoved through a portal and has his memories erased, and ends up as the Timeless Child, eventually becoming the Doctor.

I'm not saying it's a good story, just that it isn't necessarily inconsistent with the current evidence.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhhh, it’s two halves of the same coin really. Chibnall is a poo poo writer but Moffat was a godawful showrunner. Whitaker would have only gotten a handful of budget-crunched specials so far under Moffat.

You might want to check how many episodes have gotten out under Chibnall.

Really, the fact that both Moffat and Chibnall, who have extensively TV experience, have had such trouble with consistent schedules suggests that some major behind the scenes changes are needed. Though who knows how viable that is under the current admin.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Honestly, they should just buy a Volume and film everything in that like the Mandalorian does.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

howe_sam posted:

Honestly, they should just buy a Volume and film everything in that like the Mandalorian does.

At a really rough estimate two seasons of Mando have a comparable budget to the entire Doctor Who revival.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

If Chibnall had any sense of fun (he clearly doesn't), he'd invite RTD and Moffat back to write eps.

I suspect they'd refuse tbh. Seems impolitic.

Rochallor posted:

You might want to check how many episodes have gotten out under Chibnall.

Really, the fact that both Moffat and Chibnall, who have extensively TV experience, have had such trouble with consistent schedules suggests that some major behind the scenes changes are needed. Though who knows how viable that is under the current admin.

Part of this was Moffat's personality though. Yelling at Caroline Skinner that she'd be "erased from Doctor Who", during the middle of a production party no less, was not the sign of a stable showrunner.

Tbh that'd get him fired these days, and I'm not sure how it didn't get him fired back then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At a really rough estimate two seasons of Mando have a comparable budget to the entire Doctor Who revival.

Most of that is Baby Yoda. The kid tears through the craft services table.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*checks*

Doctor Who is 1.5 million per episode

Mandalorian is 15 million per episode

:stonklol:

God, imagine Doctor Who with that amount of time and budget.. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation