Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Leavemywife posted:

:stare:

I didn't know pipe bombs were that destructive. At the risk of asking a question that will probably get me put on a list somewhere, are they just overfilled with whatever explosives to be that destructive, or is there shrapnel stuffed into them, too?

Nails or ball bearings usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

As Nero Danced posted:

This makes me wonder, how many computers weren't locked down when this happened, and what sensitive/classified info and emails were available to anyone who walked up to them?

Emails, yes. Sensitive info, almost definitely. Classified info, not so much. That stuff (ideally) is not let outside the SCIFs in the complex or in closed hearings in specific rooms.

Someone's going to type something up on a Democratic congressman's/Senator's laptop that they'll claim is Pizzagate proof.

If anything, I'm surprised the SCIFs weren't used as safe rooms.

Leavemywife posted:

:stare:

I didn't know pipe bombs were that destructive. At the risk of asking a question that will probably get me put on a list somewhere, are they just overfilled with whatever explosives to be that destructive, or is there shrapnel stuffed into them, too?

It's not that they're destructive so much that *calling* them a "weapon of mass destruction" allows local, state, and federal law enforcement to seriously gently caress them under the new-ish tenets of the PATRIOT and other post-9/11 terrorism laws.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 7, 2021

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not that they're destructive so much that *calling* them a "weapon of mass destruction" allows law enforcement to seriously gently caress them under the new-ish tenets of the PATRIOT and other post-9/11 terrorism laws.

They're turbo hosed, your government really doesn't like people doing that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Hekk posted:

Nails or ball bearings usually.

How the gently caress can you be making a device like that and never step back and realize what a bad loving idea that is? How do you get your head crammed so far into your own rear end that you never consider that maybe, just loving maybe, that you're not on the best path?

I don't understand these psychos at loving all. How can this be so important to them that they're willing to murder people in the United States Capitol? How do you get that hosed up and not rethink your path in life?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

How the gently caress can you be making a device like that and never step back and realize what a bad loving idea that is? How do you get your head crammed so far into your own rear end that you never consider that maybe, just loving maybe, that you're not on the best path?

I don't understand these psychos at loving all. How can this be so important to them that they're willing to murder people in the United States Capitol? How do you get that hosed up and not rethink your path in life?

It isn't just you, none of us can figure out these mofos.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/armystrang/status/1347039719708893190?s=21

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Emails, yes. Sensitive info, almost definitely. Classified info, not so much. That stuff (ideally) is not let outside the SCIFs in the complex or in closed hearings in specific rooms.

Someone's going to type something up on a Democratic congressman's/Senator's laptop that they'll claim is Pizzagate proof.

If anything, I'm surprised the SCIFs weren't used as safe rooms.

It's not that they're destructive so much that *calling* them a "weapon of mass destruction" allows local, state, and federal law enforcement to seriously gently caress them under the new-ish tenets of the PATRIOT and other post-9/11 terrorism laws.

A whole lot of congresspeople are going to have to explain why they apparently emailed the heads of state for foreign nations some random guy's dong.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

we better have 12 years of investigations over this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1347023890959228933

Jesus loving Christ.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Leavemywife posted:

There is a subset of America who really thinks the only thing keeping this place from being a perfect Utopia is the Federal Government. Every single person in their way wasn't a human being to them, they were just an obstacle in the way towards the finish line of the destruction of their most hated entity. In their delusional mind, their actions would be the ~spark~ that would ~change everything~ and...well, none of them really have an answer for "what comes next" but rest assured it involves walls, ropes, trees, and a lot of rope, bullets, and hideous amounts of racism.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Every single electronic device in the building that was unattended is a potential security risk. Might as well just throw them all out rather than try to figure it which fall into that category. While they're at it, sweep the place for bugs.

How the gently caress do they not have proper security doors on the building? When they spent billions securing the building against "terrorists" after 9/11, did not a cent go to loving doors and windows?

This is going to inspire every militia nut in the country to try the same thing after seeing how easy it is to seize the building. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a prolonged, armed occupation of a state capitol at some point in the next four years.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 7, 2021

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Good luck america, didn't think I'd need to send it :(

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

“Fine people on both sides.”

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

A bunch of them really and truly think that the election was stolen and this is the end of our democracy. With millions of people thinking that, is it any surprise that a few of the nuttier ones go for violence?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Okay, that's enough of this thread tonight. I don't even know how to formulate a response to that, beyond a solid wall of gently caress.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A pipe bomb- the standard size most people picture- just mentally default to a drag grenade ×2. An m67 is a kill/casualty radius of 5m/10m; a pipe bomb will typically have a 10m/20m radius. That's what I was taught to assume by bomb squad bullshit

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Every single electronic device in the building that was unattended is a potential security risk. Might as well just throw them all out rather than try to figure it which fall into that category. While they're at it, sweep the place for bugs.

How the gently caress do they not have proper security doors on the building? When they spent billions securing the building against "terrorists" after 9/11, did not an ounce go to loving doors and windows?

This is going to inspire every militia nut in the country to try the same thing after seeing how easy it is to seize the building. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a prolonged, armed occupation of a state capitol at some point in the next four years.

Didn’t they already do it in Wisconsin and Minnesota?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/1347031398176223233?s=21

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

A pipe bomb- the standard size most people picture- just mentally default to a drag grenade ×2. An m67 is a kill/casualty radius of 5m/10m; a pipe bomb will typically have a 10m/20m radius. That's what I was taught to assume by bomb squad bullshit

They ain't complex weapons, it's a tube with a bunch of explosive and nails in it. I have no idea why any of those idiots thought that was possibly a good idea tonight.

e: They really aren't very clever.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

davecrazy posted:

Didn’t they already do it in Wisconsin and Minnesota?
They went in with guns and left, but I don't think there was a meaningful, "this is ours now" occupation. Could be misremembering how crazy this year's been.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

wins32767 posted:

A bunch of them really and truly think that the election was stolen and this is the end of our democracy. With millions of people thinking that, is it any surprise that a few of the nuttier ones go for violence?

This is a pretty good summary basically

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This makes way more sense than the cops just letting everyone in video from earlier.

Shocking that there was just one layer of fencing there, capitol police are lucky no officers were trampled. I would’ve expected the entire area to be a fog of tear gas long before any kind of crowd was forming on the inner perimeter. The White House during the protests had like a dozen perimeters that extends an entire block away or something.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1347032274022199300

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
They deserved it.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1347042668564664320

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mlmp08 posted:

Alternately, because cops: “The pipe bombs were some used soda bottles with some dip spit snotty tissues shoved inside.”

:cops: wait a minute, these aren't bombs at all, they're just delicious milkshakes! you're all free to go

e: also gently caress the people giving mcnally poo poo

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 7, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Pence's chief of staff has been locked out of the white house

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'd wager the "the pigs are just letting them through!" video was more a "popo got the news their section of the perimeter had been flanked and were ordered to fall back". I'll bet the folks on the ground were just as baffled by how their lines had fallen apart as everyone else and the absurdity of the situation made them react even more stupidly than usual.

Completely pulling that from my rear end, though. I've no knowledge of the location of the video relative to the rest of the Capitol nor have I read the Times article :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Pence's chief of staff has been locked out of the white house

Trump better publish his last second pardons...

I feel it’s way more likely we’d get an ignoring the President’s orders and running everything by pence first like the Nixon White House.

It’s only 2 weeks, what could happen?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Trump better publish his last second pardons...

I feel it’s way more likely we’d get an ignoring the President’s orders and running everything by pence first like the Nixon White House.

It’s only 2 weeks, what could happen?

He could start a nuclear war.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd wager the "the pigs are just letting them through!" video was more a "popo got the news their section of the perimeter had been flanked and were ordered to fall back". I'll bet the folks on the ground were just as baffled by how their lines had fallen apart as everyone else and the absurdity of the situation made them react even more stupidly than usual.

Completely pulling that from my rear end, though. I've no knowledge of the location of the video relative to the rest of the Capitol nor have I read the Times article :shrug:

I was talking to a dude I know, he's on the force somewhere (and a commie so I won't doxx him) - he said there was absolutely zero way the local police force could to anything practically about the Nazis, just plain not possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And we have an official challenge to PA’s votes. Probably will be several more hours if not tomorrow morning before this is finished.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

You think he actually remembers which gold code is the right one on the biscuit?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They could hand him a drill code and I'm pretty sure he'd never notice.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

orange juche posted:

I would bet money that the secret service is keeping the nuclear football in a separate part of the building and would physically restrain him from going for it. He's lost a lot of his political support, his business support, and worst of all his social media, and he knows there's nothing that can be done now to stop his loss. He's even more unhinged now than he was before, and that's saying something.

I'd also bet during the height of the siege, he wanted to go over to the capitol building and stir up his fanatics even more.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

He could start a war? A nuclear war?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

Happily.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pretty sure it's a reference to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd much prefer leather daddies dancing on poles to whatever this is.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ohh I thought it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdtqRtG_qY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
"The constitution can't defend itself!" That's why your supporters attacked the capitol building then?