Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

rockear posted:

This dude seems to have pretty solid knowledge on winter camping (I believe he's in BC) and just did a review on this budget heated tent setup. Looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2RJ9RCvrk

This is the kind of setup Ive been considering. I think this is the first review Ive seen where the reviewed had actually used the tent a fair amount though. Tents like these range in price from $100-$300 and all seem to have a pretty similar feature set. What Im thinking of doing is picking up a cheap teepee tent like this and a decent quality steel wood stove. From what Ive read so far it really does seem like a quality stove is crucial to safely and comfortably hot tenting. The tent itself is less important(within reason of course). Id prefer something like this to a slide in camper since my 4x4 doesnt have the capacity for a slide in camper like my truck does, so having something that I can break down and stick in the back would be really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

This is the kind of setup Ive been considering. I think this is the first review Ive seen where the reviewed had actually used the tent a fair amount though. Tents like these range in price from $100-$300 and all seem to have a pretty similar feature set. What Im thinking of doing is picking up a cheap teepee tent like this and a decent quality steel wood stove. From what Ive read so far it really does seem like a quality stove is crucial to safely and comfortably hot tenting. The tent itself is less important(within reason of course). Id prefer something like this to a slide in camper since my 4x4 doesnt have the capacity for a slide in camper like my truck does, so having something that I can break down and stick in the back would be really useful.

Even with a hot tent you're going to want a better sleeping pad as noted above. Flatland and I got the Thermarest Mondokings https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping-pads/camp-and-comfort/mondoking-3d-sleeping-pad/mondoking-3d.htmlfor WY which were a huge upgrade over even a normal insulated backpacking pad. They're heavy and bulky even rolled up, but that's the price you pay for the comfort and warmth they provide. The Exped Megamat is another one to look at if they ever come back in stock. Sleeping in the truck bed on one of those, cot or not, would be super comfy in any weather.

As I'm sure you probably saw in the hunting threads we were in a MSR tent for 5 nights in WY with temps between mid 30s and the teens. We had 20 degree bags, Sea to Summit Reactor bag liners, the Mondokings and a Mr Heater (Big Buddy I think) and we slept pretty warm. It was downright balmy if we cranked the heat and only mildly uncomfortable on occasion. We've talked about a Kifaru or Seek Outside teepee with a stove, and might get there one day, but this combo worked pretty well for truck camping.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Wearing a hat helps a lot too. I have a western mountaineering 20 deg bag and I can use that thing in boxers and any shirt down to the mid 20s. But a hat and a silk liner make it work into the teens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And something around the neck. You got two big rear end arteries to keep warm there.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

charliebravo77 posted:

As I'm sure you probably saw in the hunting threads we were in a MSR tent for 5 nights in WY with temps between mid 30s and the teens. We had 20 degree bags, Sea to Summit Reactor bag liners, the Mondokings and a Mr Heater (Big Buddy I think) and we slept pretty warm. It was downright balmy if we cranked the heat and only mildly uncomfortable on occasion. We've talked about a Kifaru or Seek Outside teepee with a stove, and might get there one day, but this combo worked pretty well for truck camping.

Yes! That kind of setup was originally what I was eyeballing and what I may end up going with yet. The thing about a hot tent that really appeals to me though is having a heated space where you can just chill out, cook some food or beverages, and just lounge a bit without having to be under a sleeping bag. I learned a lot in Nebraska this year, and one of those things was that after a few days of being cold having a heated space where you can just sit and cook up some hot food is potentially a huge moral boost.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What's the kinda thread I want to use for repairing a backpack? Sliced the slit out of my osprey pack when the protector came off my ice auger, and all I had to repair it was some normal thread, and I'm not sure it's going to hold. Is upholstery thread what I want, or is there something better?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All my repairs are done with a speedy stitcher. Also some diy backpack mods.. it's pretty sturdy stuff. Also small enough to stuff into a repair kit that lives in the car.

If you go down that road I suggest not using the default needle size. The smaller one (requiring buying a spool of smaller thread) is much more suitable for this sort of use. The big one is intended for mending boat sails I believe.

Lots of really bad YouTube videos demonstrating it if you want to research at all.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DeesGrandpa posted:

What's the kinda thread I want to use for repairing a backpack? Sliced the slit out of my osprey pack when the protector came off my ice auger, and all I had to repair it was some normal thread, and I'm not sure it's going to hold. Is upholstery thread what I want, or is there something better?

You’ll want a high strength polyester thread, such as Gütermann Mara. Ebay or places like joannes carry it if you have one near you.

That’s the stuff I used when I made my own gear, and it’s held up great, even on high strength applications such as webbing for hammock straps.

Polyester doesn’t absorb water like cotton, so it won’t cause the thread to swell up and become weaker or loosen threads. Your outdoor gear is typically nylon or some other blend of 11 herbs and artificial fibers. Nylon stretches, which is what makes it more comfortable, whereas polyester does not, which is why polyester is used for thread.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

You’ll want a high strength polyester thread, such as Gütermann Mara. Ebay or places like joannes carry it if you have one near you.

That’s the stuff I used when I made my own gear, and it’s held up great, even on high strength applications such as webbing for hammock straps.

Polyester doesn’t absorb water like cotton, so it won’t cause the thread to swell up and become weaker or loosen threads. Your outdoor gear is typically nylon or some other blend of 11 herbs and artificial fibers. Nylon stretches, which is what makes it more comfortable, whereas polyester does not, which is why polyester is used for thread.

Perfect, thanks!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In the field, floss works really well too.

A friend who never hikes just dumped 10 new jetboil canisters on me. They are 15 years old though. Any reason they shouldn't be fine to use?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mercury Ballistic posted:

In the field, floss works really well too.

A friend who never hikes just dumped 10 new jetboil canisters on me. They are 15 years old though. Any reason they shouldn't be fine to use?

Unless the canister is rusted out or compromised, it shouldn’t be a problem. Canister fuel is a mix of propane and butane, and both of those have an indefinite shelf life, whereas fuels like gasoline start to break down and gum up the works within months. The real worry is leaky seals, because that could leak while you’re using the canister and fire + pressurized containers is a bad mix.

You could buy something like this canister transfer adapter and transfer to contents to new canisters if you have any doubts or notice a leaky seal when you test fit a stove. Otherwise I’d probably just use them honestly, they’re probably alright.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Picked up a Fiskars X11 and Silky Gomboy 240. Currently have a cheapo pruning saw and hatchet combo which are really only good for cutting small branches and splitting off kindling.
However we camp on a lot of island sites and wood you can process by hand is often picked through, leaving is the choice of going without a fire or processing larger pieces of wood. Really looking forward to taking a little bit of the labour out of getting a fire going!

The Fiskars in particular should be a blast. It's basically the only splitting hatchet I've come across.. though at 17 inches maybe it's more of a one-handed axe than a hatchet. Think it should be worth the 1lbs penalty over my current hatchet though.. Splitting wood with a small chopping hatchet is not fun.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I’ve got the Gomboy with medium teeth and it works great! Highly recommend!

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Little did I know the first thing I would purchase in the year 2021 is a foldable hand saw called the Silky Gomboy :cool:

I'm excited about it and can't wait until my firewood cutting permit arrives in the mail!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Two highlight pieces of gear for me this year that I realized I hadn't shared the good word on. Both definitely on the camping side of the spectrum (I mostly canoe camp).

Platypus Gravity Works 4L:
Previously have used befrees and pump action filters. The switch to a proper gravity filter was life changing. Honestly, it felt like we had plumbing.

It includes a 4 liter dirty bag, and a 4 liter clean bag. It's fast enough that at sites where water access was annoying, I'd let the first bag filter and then fill the dirty bag up again. 8 liters of drinking water off of one trip is pretty amazing.

Eureka! VCS 16 Tarp + Bug Shelter:
I camp in Northern Ontario. Anyone who's camped in a similar climate will know why I bought a bug shelter. For the uninitiated, here's a piece of bug inspired Canadiana. Basically, camping between May and mid July, you are liable to be eaten to death if you aren't behind no-see-um mesh before the bugs come out.
On a big, dawn to dusk travel day, there's nothing more restorative than cooking and eating a nice supper at sunset.. and nothing worse than doing this while the air is thick with black flies or mosquitos.

Had a few trips this year that would have included a lot of early turn ins, but sitting in the shelter we were perfectly comfortable to eat, play cards and just talk through the witching hour. I knew I made a stellar purchase the first evening we used it.

There's a number of shelters on the market now, but what sets this one apart is that the tarp and mesh are separate pieces.
The obvious benefit being that you don't have to buy a 2nd tarp on trips where the netting isn't necessary, but even more I enjoyed the flexibility on trips where we did use the netting. Trying to get a tarp up in bad weather can be hard enough without having a bunch of mesh flapping all over the place. Being able to just leave that section in the stuff sack until later definitely saved me a lot of time and cursing.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I live in the mid atlantic region and do a lot of VA and WV backpacking. I may be moving to Oahu for a few years for work and wondered what sort of gear I should bring? I have summer and winter bags, various tents and I have never done any hiking or backpacking in Hawaii. Anyone have tips?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
This is going to sound really silly, since I could have just taken some normal silverware, but these polished titanium utensils from Valtcan are so much easier to clean over matte ones. Big quality of life upgrade if you need the weight reduction that titanium provides.

I see them on Amazon as well, as separates and as a set, but the price is all over the place.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for a light glove with a rubber/silicone grip on them? I bought a $20 pair of Moosejaw brand gloves that have tremendous grip, great for walking my dogs in the cold weather when most regular gloves would have issues with a leash in each hand... But a month and change later and they're already starting to tear at the seams?

Gonna contact MJ tonight, but they no longer sell these gloves apparently. So I doubt they have a replacement pair they can send me...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have you tried knit work gloves with nitrile palms? I like them because they are cheap enough to be drat near disposable and have no seams on the inside to cause chafing.

Something like this on the thinner side:

Or this on the thicker side:

E: are you looking for gloves specifically for cold or just coolish with some protection?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 6, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just looking for a thin glove for 25-40ºF where my hands are slightly too cold if unexposed while walking my dogs 1-3 miles every day.

I've got plenty of "real" gloves for when I'm snowboarding and out in colder temperatures and all that jazz.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sab669 posted:

Just looking for a thin glove for 25-40ºF where my hands are slightly too cold if unexposed while walking my dogs 1-3 miles every day.

I've got plenty of "real" gloves for when I'm snowboarding and out in colder temperatures and all that jazz.

I have a pair of Dakine pipe gloves that go beneath my mittens which work really well. They're like Mechanix gloves but slightly insulated with rubber grip on the palms. They're great. Low profile and very good dexterity. They came with my mittens so I just keep them around and use them for all sorts of things.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Verman posted:

I have a pair of Dakine pipe gloves that go beneath my mittens which work really well. They're like Mechanix gloves but slightly insulated with rubber grip on the palms. They're great. Low profile and very good dexterity. They came with my mittens so I just keep them around and use them for all sorts of things.

Can you link which ones? I double up gloves for work a lot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

pumped up for school posted:

Can you link which ones? I double up gloves for work a lot.

It doesn't look like they make that model anymore and I don't see a Dakine glove that matches what I have.

This was the closest thing I could find but these don't look quite the same.
https://www.dakine.com/products/element-liner-glove

From Mechanix, heres an insulated version. I love mechanix gloves due to their fit and dexterity but they often don't have silicone grip on the palms.
https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/the-original-insulated-insulated-work-gloves

Looking at the house (snowboard retailer) it looks like "pipe glove", "under glove", and "glove liner" are sort of all the same thing - thin glove but some insulation and usually with some grip on the palm.
https://www.the-house.com/bt6pwsl46fa17zz-burton-snowboard-gloves.html

https://www.the-house.com/ne6rovse02bk19zz-neff-snowboard-gloves.html

https://www.the-house.com/bt6for02tb19zz-burton-snowboard-gloves.html

Honestly though, these are my favorite gloves. Outdoor Research StormTracker gloves. They're more fo a winter glove but they're low profile, pretty thin but still warm and offer a lot of dexterity. I wear them skiing, snowshoeing, mountaineering, etc. I live in the PNW so its rarely down into single digits/negatives but I have yet to wear these and get cold hands.
https://www.rei.com/product/886770/...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2021

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Verman posted:

Honestly though, these are my favorite gloves. Outdoor Research StormTracker gloves. They're more fo a winter glove but they're low profile, pretty thin but still warm and offer a lot of dexterity. I wear them skiing, snowshoeing, mountaineering, etc. I live in the PNW so its rarely down into single digits/negatives but I have yet to wear these and get cold hands.
https://www.rei.com/product/886770/...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks!

I also have those OR gloves. They are awesome.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Any suggestions for a light glove with a rubber/silicone grip on them? I bought a $20 pair of Moosejaw brand gloves that have tremendous grip, great for walking my dogs in the cold weather when most regular gloves would have issues with a leash in each hand... But a month and change later and they're already starting to tear at the seams?

Gonna contact MJ tonight, but they no longer sell these gloves apparently. So I doubt they have a replacement pair they can send me...

If you have a Costco membership in the winter they often have "head" brand light gloves that are generally used for golfing iirc. Rubber or whatever on the fingers and palms, I use them all the time for conditions that don't need heavy gloves but still need something. I think im on my third or fourth season of the current pair. They were $10 iirc

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

If you have a Costco membership in the winter they often have "head" brand light gloves that are generally used for golfing iirc. Rubber or whatever on the fingers and palms, I use them all the time for conditions that don't need heavy gloves but still need something. I think im on my third or fourth season of the current pair. They were $10 iirc

Yes! How could I forget. I also have these gives and they're nice. Great snug fit and good texture. Plus they're cheap. I keep these in my car emergency kit.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sab669 posted:

If you have big hands I have a pair of Burton spring/pipe gloves I’ll drop in the mail for you. I bought them one spring day and stuffed them in my van’s center console, then forgot about them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

Yes! How could I forget. I also have these gives and they're nice. Great snug fit and good texture. Plus they're cheap. I keep these in my car emergency kit.

Usually when I see them, I look at the care instructions and they're "spot clean only", which precludes a ride in the washer or even hand washing.

Do you guys usually just hand wash them anyway?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for all the replies; no Costco unfortunately but I'm liking the look of those Burton Powerstretch Liner Gloves that Verman linked. Those look very similar to what I currently have.

highme posted:

If you have big hands I have a pair of Burton spring/pipe gloves I’ll drop in the mail for you. I bought them one spring day and stuffed them in my van’s center console, then forgot about them.

I'm definitely on the Small end, but thanks for the offer

sb hermit posted:

Ever see that Mitch Hedberg bit about his dry clean only shirt? :v:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Usually when I see them, I look at the care instructions and they're "spot clean only", which precludes a ride in the washer or even hand washing.

I have those gloves and wash them in the machine like I would a t-shirt and havent had any issues.

The little rubber grip parts wore off after one year, but otherwise they're holding up strong.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

These have become my favorite cold weather gloves. Pay no mind to the tactical name. https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterity-Tactical-FDT-Cold-Weather-Glo-p/pig.771.htm

Though honestly if you're active and temps are above 25 or so you might even want an uninsulated version like these: https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Skydiving-Glove-p/pig.765.htm

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have those gloves and wash them in the machine like I would a t-shirt and havent had any issues.

The little rubber grip parts wore off after one year, but otherwise they're holding up strong.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the composite construction but I guess if it still keeps warm then it doesn't really matter.

I have some outdoor research liner gloves that I keep around but maybe I'll get one or to Head ones just in case.

Probably won't go in to Costco this year (because of covid19), tho, so it'll have to wait a year until I pick some up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sab669 posted:

Ever see that Mitch Hedberg bit about his dry clean only shirt? :v:

funny enough, I think "spot clean only" even precludes dry cleaning

not that I would dry clean anything except a suit or a nice coat... everything else I have is just fine with going through the washer

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone who is a tall/larger person tried an Osprey Talon 22? I’m 6’6” and like 200 lbs and a lot of stuff online seems to suggest it runs a bit small, so I’m worried even the larger size might still not fit super well. COVID makes it a bit harder to try on, so wondering if anyone has experience with it prior to ordering/maybe returning.

(This is just for hiking, not actual backpacking- I’d there’s another thread which would be better I can ask there!)

E: huh from looking at torso length measurements this doesn’t seem viable - seems like I’m just over their max listed measurement. If anyone has suggestions on daypacks for people with 23” torso length, I’m all ears. It seems like 22” is the max most go to.

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 8, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sub $20 ultralight stove recommend? Not trying to rely on it for survival, just putting together a small kit for recreational use.

Edit - should fit inside a Stanley Adventure 20oz

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 8, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
White box alcohol stove?

https://whiteboxalcoholstoves.com/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

tildes posted:

Has anyone who is a tall/larger person tried an Osprey Talon 22? I’m 6’6” and like 200 lbs and a lot of stuff online seems to suggest it runs a bit small, so I’m worried even the larger size might still not fit super well. COVID makes it a bit harder to try on, so wondering if anyone has experience with it prior to ordering/maybe returning.

(This is just for hiking, not actual backpacking- I’d there’s another thread which would be better I can ask there!)

E: huh from looking at torso length measurements this doesn’t seem viable - seems like I’m just over their max listed measurement. If anyone has suggestions on daypacks for people with 23” torso length, I’m all ears. It seems like 22” is the max most go to.

The hip belt won't sit on your hips but it might not matter all that much to you, especially if you're just planning to use it for day trips. The physical dimensions of a small daypack don't really match up with the dimensions of a very tall person, but it also doesn't make much difference because you won't notice <20lbs on your back nearly as much as a smaller person would.

FogHelmut posted:

Sub $20 ultralight stove recommend? Not trying to rely on it for survival, just putting together a small kit for recreational use.

Edit - should fit inside a Stanley Adventure 20oz

I have this which should fit in about anything

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 8, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tildes posted:

sounds like you decided already, but as a 6'1" talon owner, its a fantastic pack that won't fit you. even on me sometimes the waist belt rides higher than i would prefer, and i'm already about 95% leg overall

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Seconding this—these are my favorite alcohol stoves... reliable, indestructible, cheap, efficient. I prefer canister stoves for backpacking, but I absolutely love these things

tildes posted:

Yup! I’ve got a talon 22 I bought a few years ago for cycling and day hikes. I’m 6’4 and ~250, and my chief size complaint is the waist strap is almost maxed out for me. Otherwise I really like it as a small pack (though I shudder to think whether it still fits after a year of sitting on my rear end). Worst case I can use it like a regular backpack, at least until I can build up enough choo in the tank to start doing things again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just scored a new backpack and tent at rei in the used section. Was already planning on upgrading both this spring but I just saved myself about $400.

Osprey atmos ag 65 - It's brand new. Had someone help me with the fit and it fits like a glove. I was already planning on purchasing this exact pack in the spring. Original price: $279 used price: $100. Reason for return "Used two days. Didn't like the fit".

Nemo hornet 1 person - used for two days, tags still on it. Reason for return "too light" ... lol. Not even dusty and tent stakes look brand new. Original price: $340 used price: $150.

I just shed about 4.5lbs from my pack and got a more comfortable pack to boot.