Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Denazify the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Where the gently caress are all the pig apologists in this thread who think abolition is too extreme and we can reform the cops? They literally stood aside during a fascist coup and started taking selfies with them.

I don't see how having no police today would have made things any better. The entire problem today was because the cops didn't do anything.

Surely the solution here is to have trained, appropriate law enforcement to protect election officials?

If what you mean by abolition is completely destroy the system of cops we have now, and then create a new, different system of law enforcement, sure.

But yeah I think the entire problem today is that the existing cops basically went "uhhh yeah go in I guess". I guess you can walk away from that thinking that there may as well not be cops at all, but I don't see how that's the long-term solution rather than appropriate, trained law enforcement who you know, can stop a loving coup attempt.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't see how having no police today would have made things any better. The entire problem today was because the cops didn't do anything.

Surely the solution here is to have trained, appropriate law enforcement to protect election officials?

If what you mean by abolition is completely destroy the system of cops we have now, and then create a new, different system of law enforcement, sure.

But yeah I think the entire problem today is that the existing cops basically went "uhhh yeah go in I guess". I guess you can walk away from that thinking that there may as well not be cops at all, but I don't see how that's the long-term solution rather than appropriate, trained law enforcement who you know, can stop a loving coup attempt.

Appropriate trained law enforcement will not stop a fascist coup. They became LEOs because they're fascists, they are enforcing fascist laws, they're abetted by fascist prosecutors, and your position is that we simply need to make black into white, the sky into the ground, and wet into dry and then cops would have stopped this.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

But I'll tell you what, we tried it your way and the cops took selfies with the fascists. Let's do an experiment, try abolishing the cops, and then we can vote on which we like better.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

But I'll tell you what, we tried it your way and the cops took selfies with the fascists. Let's do an experiment, try abolishing the cops, and then we can vote on which we like better.

If there was no resistance today to anything the protestors have done, including any coming resistance from the military etc, how is that a better outcome?

Or, rephrased in a different way, what would your ideal response to be to the coup attempt today?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CelestialScribe posted:

I see we are back at the part where you have decided that no police means no law enforcement, despite pages and pages of this thread telling you that isn't he case.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

what would your ideal response to be to the coup attempt today?

Ah, we're back to handwringing liberal perfectionism even as the cops step aside for the coup attempt. Lovely.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I see we are back at the part where you have decided that no police means no law enforcement, despite pages and pages of this thread telling you that isn't he case.

"If what you mean by abolition is completely destroy the system of cops we have now, and then create a new, different system of law enforcement, sure."

Please quote what I said if you want to have a debate in good faith.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Ah, we're back to handwringing liberal perfectionism even as the cops step aside for the coup attempt. Lovely.

I'm genuinely asking, I'm interested. Clearly the response from cops today was a disaster (and I should add, racist), and I personally have views on what could have made it work, which I've described earlier in the thread. I'm legitimately interested to hear your take.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 6, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm genuinely asking, I'm interested. Clearly the response from cops today was a disaster, and I personally have views on what could have made it work, which I've described earlier in the thread. I'm legitimately interested to hear your take.

For one thing, if everyone wasn't teetering on the edge of poverty and homelessness this whole thing would never have happened.

I'm actually curious as to what your plan is though, considering that cops are the best paid public servants in America.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

For one thing, if everyone wasn't teetering on the edge of poverty and homelessness this whole thing would never have happened.

I'm actually curious as to what your plan is though, considering that cops are the best paid public servants in America.

I've described my thoughts on law enforcement earlier in the thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think it's worth discussing the ideal style and methods for law enforcement or a replacement for the same responding a situation like this. I think we can all agree that a society needs a way to prevent fascists from forcibly taking over.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I've described my thoughts on law enforcement earlier in the thread.

Oh ok, so which part, specifically, would have prevented them from siding with fascists in an attempt to overthrow the government?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

fool of sound posted:

I think it's worth discussing the ideal style and methods for law enforcement or a replacement for the same responding a situation like this. I think we can all agree that a society needs a way to prevent fascists from forcibly taking over.

I think so too.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh ok, so which part, specifically, would have prevented them from siding with fascists in an attempt to overthrow the government?

Well, in my ideal scenario you wouldn't have cops protecting state landmarks like the capitol, you would have a separate security force that has no ties to any type of public law enforcement apparatus. And you'd also have a separate, trained force to deal with more specific violent threats like the one we saw today. That would make it much easier to ensure higher standards of training, security clearances, oversight, etc.

I think that's a pretty reasonable solution.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CelestialScribe posted:

"If what you mean by abolition is completely destroy the system of cops we have now, and then create a new, different system of law enforcement, sure."

Please quote what I said if you want to have a debate in good faith.

Sure:

CelestialScribe posted:

No police today would have meant there was another group trained to handle riots in place, that was not the police.

The second sentence here, in your post, that you typed, implies that "nobody would have done anything" if not for the police.

There's no way you can square that with understanding that other systems of trained responders can exist without being police.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jaxyon posted:

Police barely responded to this.

Contrast with "peaceful people with signs getting gassed and kettled with no mercy" from when trump decided he wanted a church photo op.

https://twitter.com/atKiara/status/1346936743849824263?s=19

They've killed people for much less than any of this.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

No police today would have meant there was another group trained to handle riots in place, that was not the police.

The second sentence here, in your post, that you typed, implies that "nobody would have done anything" if not for the police.

There's no way you can square that with understanding that other systems of trained responders can exist without being police.

Sorry, I think I've made things confusing with my terminology.

I agree that the police as they exist now should not exist.

I do believe that a separate, specific system of law enforcement should exist to counter threats like today.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I think so too.

Well, in my ideal scenario you wouldn't have cops protecting state landmarks like the capitol, you would have a separate security force that has no ties to any type of public law enforcement apparatus. And you'd also have a separate, trained force to deal with more specific violent threats like the one we saw today. That would make it much easier to ensure higher standards of training, security clearances, oversight, etc.

I think that's a pretty reasonable solution.

What you are describing already exists: The Secret Service and the National Guard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CelestialScribe posted:

I do believe that a separate, specific system of law enforcement should exist to counter threats like today.

No, you didn't confuse your terminology.

You said this:

CelestialScribe posted:

Everyone in this thread for pages upon pages has told you they want to replace the police with a seperate, better system of law enforcement.

You are replying to people who used, specifically, the police as they are today, not a future law enforcement office.

To which you said "I don't see how that would be any better"

and now you say "oh actually I meant the thing that would be better, sorry my terms messed up"

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What you are describing already exists: The Secret Service and the National Guard.

Cool, so do we agree that a better solution would be to have the national guard permanently protecting the capitol to prevent situations like this?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Good idea: more cops. Wait, poo poo that might have been tried already

quote:

The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories. It answers to Congress, not the President of the United States, and is the only full-service federal law enforcement agency responsible to the legislative branch of the Federal Government of the United States.

The United States Capitol Police has the primary responsibility for protecting life and property; preventing, detecting, and investigating criminal acts; and enforcing traffic regulations throughout a large complex of congressional buildings, parks, and thoroughfares. The Capitol Police has exclusive jurisdiction within all buildings and grounds of the United States Capitol complex as well as the Library of Congress.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Everyone in this thread for pages upon pages has told you they want to replace the police with a seperate, better system of law enforcement.

Most! Not all. But most.

quote:

You are replying to people who used, specifically, the police as they are today, not a future law enforcement office.

To which you said "I don't see how that would be any better"

and now you say "oh actually I meant the thing that would be better, sorry my terms messed up"

What I mean to say is, the cops, as lovely as they were today, did make some arrests today, and did prevent some violence from happening, even though the total sum of their efforts was bad. So I agree that the cops should not exist, but I don't see how having nothing would be better.

The reason I get confused sometimes in this thread or frustrated is because so many of you say "abolish the cops, abolish the cops, abolish the cops", but you never say anything like, "the national guard would have done a better job today".

So like forgive me, but very few people here are actually offering solutions. You're just saying "cops suck and they sucked today", which is true. So, offer a solution for what you'd have done instead.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Good idea: more cops. Wait, poo poo that might have been tried already

Cool, so again, what do you suggest?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CelestialScribe posted:

Most! Not all. But most.

What I mean to say is, the cops, as lovely as they were today, did make some arrests today, and did prevent some violence from happening, even though the total sum of their efforts was bad. So I agree that the cops should not exist, but I don't see how having nothing would be better.

Nobody said do nothing.

You know this.

quote:

The reason I get confused sometimes in this thread or frustrated is because so many of you say "abolish the cops, abolish the cops, abolish the cops", but you never say anything like, "the national guard would have done a better job today".

So like forgive me, but very few people here are actually offering solutions. You're just saying "cops suck and they sucked today", which is true. So, offer a solution for what you'd have done instead.

You're not confused, and people have talked solutions with you.

You just pretend none of that happens every time the discussion starts up again.

It's clear what you're doing, I'm done with you.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Cool, so again, what do you suggest?

quote:

The legacy of revolutionary justice in the US is an inherently political phenomenon, as it has always been situated in reprisals against the State, the slave-holding planter class, capitalists and their institutions, and the broader forces of bondage, from colonial to patriarchal oppression. It is impossible to speak about resolving social conflicts in the US without addressing the agents of the State and reactionary, racist forces, and their consistent use of terror to maintain their social and political position.

Revolutionary justice may just as easily be called self-defense. In fact, the oppressed are often left with no other option: given the brutal, methodical, and continued nature of their subjugation. Their only choice for survival is to strike back. This distinct mode of defensive attack is epitomized in the legacies of Nat Turner and John Brown. After rallying a formidable group of rebels, Nat Turner’s armed formation went from plantation to plantation, killing plantation owners and freeing slaves. With his militant band of abolitionists, John Brown put up a valiant armed resistance to pro-slavery militias in Kansas before launching his famous assault on the federal armory at Harper’s Ferry from which he intended to get weapons to distribute to slaves for their rebellion. These actions were selfless attempts to free people, and were conducted explicitly on the side of the oppressed. The profound level of violence universally used by the slaveholders meant that only an equivalent level of violence would suffice for liberation.

Revolutionary justice was administered in a more organized fashion by maroon communities in their targeted attacks on the planter class. For example, the maroon called the Great Dismal Swamp became the epicenter slave emancipation. Some 2,000 fugitives fled to the swamp including debt fugitives, ex-slaves, and refugees from the brutal wars on the indigenous populations, creating autonomous communities of resistance. The maroon societies were not satisfied with just their own liberty; they rose up to fight for others as well. Their numbers grew as they attacked plantations and liberated slaves. Their original attacks took place in the regions bordering the swamp. However, as intercepted communications show, the maroon communities intended to attack entire towns to destroy the system of power that sustained the slave system. [9]

Every prison uprising from Attica to Lucasville, is an example of revolutionary justice. Every group that goes underground to launch clandestine attacks against bondage and oppression, like the Black Liberation Army or the United Freedom Front, engages in acts of revolutionary justice. The uprisings of the 1960s in Watts, Newark, and Detroit, to the Los Angeles riots, and the recent insurrections in Ferguson and Baltimore sparked by executions from police are manifestations of revolutionary justice.

No platform, no dialogue, no inch of territory, and certainly no concern can be ceded to those who either threaten or unleash authoritarian, white supremacist violence. As the Italian anarchist, Alfredo M. Bonanno has eloquently put it, “The life of someone who oppresses others and prevents them from living is not worth a cent.”[10]

When a person chafes under the subjugation of violent oppression, and breaks away from it, whether as part of a revolutionary group, an organized society, or simply as a lone actor, this is an act of revolutionary justice. The methods of this justice are a far cry from the methods we reserve for those within our revolutionary groups, and our own communities. This line is clearly demarcated by the division between the oppressed versus the oppressor. For the oppressor, we have nothing but antagonism and struggle; for the oppressed, we have nothing but understanding and compassion.

Conflict Resolution in a Revolutionary Society
The entire council-based system, as in Spain, Chiapas, or Rojava, is predicated on the health of the social fabric. All pragmatics, education, and values are collectively organized so that the individual can overcome alienation and powerlessness by personally shaping the conditions of their lives through discussion and decision-making. The ability to shape all the facets of society confers upon each individual a far wider scope than the mere satisfaction of personal needs, as it also includes the well-being of the entire community. With the invisible wall between politics and community broken down, this focus on community health becomes the driving force behind the process of resolving conflicts. If we intend to resolve the conflicts between parties instead of simply finding fault and applying punishment, the solution is mediation. In Rojava, conflict resolution is implemented in several, slightly different ways throughout the society that the participants are actively involved in constructing.

The Tekmil
The Tekmil is a foundational process that begins with self-reflection and analysis based on revolutionary principles. In fact, it’s important to note that this practice is what led to this region’s transition from a hierarchical national liberation struggle to its current ground-up structure.

The Tekmil is implemented in all organizations from the YPG/YPJ militias to all revolutionary organs in civil society. The main point is that each person ‘criticizes’ those they care the most about because they want to see them improve and become better people. To begin on a serious footing, the participants step into another room, and act as if those fallen in the struggle are there with them. Thus, people are expected to act respectfully. There’s typically a person that leads the Tekmil and writes down the criticisms, who starts by opening the floor up to anyone that has something to say. If a person feels the need to express themselves, they ask if they can speak, stand up and give their observations. If they’re speaking about someone else, that person cannot reply to their criticism. In fact, they are not even supposed to bring it up after the Tekmil. They are just supposed to accept it and think about it. Once no one has anything else to say, the person leading the Tekmil summarizes what was stated.

For the newly enlisted, there is a general Tekmil held every three days in addition to a session conducted after every military training and political education class This allows the potential for hierarchy between the trainers and trainees to stop from forming, as trainees are constantly given the opportunity to criticize them and their approaches to instruction. In addition to summarizing their observations of what occurred during the Tekmil, the trainers also conclude by stating how they can make certain desired changes and improvements. This is intended to be a harmonizing process, a reminder of what the revolutionary horizon is, and how everyone can work on themselves to stay on point.[11]

The Peace and Consensus Committee
In Rojava conflict resolution is handled in a bottom-up manner and integrated into daily life as opposed to exclusively institutional settings. At the level of the neighborhood, participation in the commune or committees is already a preventative measure. People generally are already invested in the well-being of their counterparts, due to the process of working through social issues locally. When a conflict occurs, people are more invested in finding a solution due to the organizational process. The more developed the revolutionary project becomes, then, the more successful conflict resolution will become.

The Peace and Consensus Committee is composed of a few neighbors who are invested in finding a reasonable outcome to conflicts. The “office” where they meet is a neighbor’s house. The family might be at home, other neighbors may pop in, and in the middle of this familiar environment, the participants talk over the issue they are trying to resolve. According to Ercan Ayboğa, “The goal of Peace and Consensus Committees…is not to condemn one or both sides in a proceeding but rather to achieve a consensus between the conflicting parties. If possible, the accused is not ostracized through a punishment or locked away but rather is made to understand that his or her behavior has led to injustice, damage, and injury. If necessary, the matter is discussed for a long time. Reaching consensus among the parties is a result that will lead to a more lasting peace.”[12] This means that every party must be committed to enacting the solution, rather than merely agreeing heartlessly to it, or worse, being bureaucratically, and indifferently, coerced into compliance.

Work of the Council
Another good example of how these methods work is in the councils of Bakur, or Southeastern Turkey, which preceded the revolution in Rojava. Here there is a dual-power situation: revolutionary councils exist even though the State has not been abolished. “When we talk about judicial matters, you have to understand that we’re trying to organize a society without a State. Many people who have legal disputes or other problems that need solving don’t go to the Turkish courts anymore-they come to the city councils.” [13]

Council members will sit down with people in the midst of a crisis and talk it through with them. According to one council member, “We work with conversation, dialogue, negotiation, and when necessary, criticism and self-criticism. When someone does something wrong, the party who perpetuated the harm has to make it up to the people he injured…There’s no death penalty, we don’t put perpetrators in prison or penalize them financially.” Even in cases as serious as murder, the solution is to help the perpetrator develop into a better person, using the help of psychologists or others.

There is an extraordinary precedent set by this situation. A council-member’s priority is not a bureaucratic process of instituting law, but instead, personally working with those who need it.

The exact format and process of such solutions vary, as they should, depending on the needs or relationships of each neighborhood. What they have in common is that those who will be affected by the decision are always the ones who propel the process, and there is a wholehearted commitment to mending the social fabric rather than punishment.

How conflict resolution works:

1. Social cohesion, not punishment, is the intended result.

2. The process must be predicated on the personal development of those involved.

3. The people affected by the decisions drive the process, and all parties must agree with the resolution.

4. Conflict resolution works best when coupled with strong, continuous relationships between participants.

5. Liberatory political principles must be the criteria for all resolutions.

You can read the rest in context here:
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/revolutionary-abolitionist-movement-burn-down-the-american-plantation#toc14

The details will intentionally vary from people to people and place to place. The EZLN do things a bit differently than the Rojava; some other autonomous municipalities in Mexico not under EZLN control differently still (ie, Cherán is locally controlled by a municipal democracy but recognizes the authority of the Mexican national government has something more akin to a municipal militia with responsibility for detaining or stopping the violent but otherwise without law enforcement powers). When attacked, these communities' defense militias take up arms and fight. None of these groups are anywhere near perfect. But they do illustrate community defense and peacekeeping done by and for the community rather than enforcing an unjust quiet on an exploited population, and how those same communities can and will fight back militarily against corporate, criminal, or fascist aggression when necessary.

The common thread is that an armed force of authoritarians tasked to enforce a law that is built to facilitate exploitation upon the exploited does not create justice or public safety. It can't, because that's not what the law is for and the mission of using force to uphold that law carries the exploitation with it. And ultimately that force won't even uphold that law at all when it's inconvenient to its own interests, which are ultimately the fascistic interests of an occupying military power.

The broader point here is that it is not up to me to tell each and every community how they should keep their own justice. The EZLN, Rojava, places like Cherán are just examples of horizontally organized defense and community justice, not a template that should be copied and pasted to others. I'm not here to provide such a template, since enforcing a model of justice on a community is the opposite of what I'm about. I'm here to point at the cops we have, and say, "These guys need to loving go."

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

The broader point here is that it is not up to me to tell each and every community how they should keep their own justice. The EZLN, Rojava, places like Cherán are just examples of horizontally organized defense and community justice, not a template that should be copied and pasted to others. I'm not here to provide such a template, since enforcing a model of justice on a community is the opposite of what I'm about. I'm here to point at the cops we have, and say, "These guys need to loving go."

Great, except this thread is explicitly about providing solutions and debating different ideas about law enforcement.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Great, except this thread is explicitly about providing solutions and debating different ideas about law enforcement.

WTF are you even going on about?

Oldest man provided an excellent rundown of alternatives to policing. The least you could do is respond in such a way that proves you actually read it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

If this kind of posting is allowed in this thread I'm done with it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The thread has to have room for 'this is how a society without police deals with bad actors'. What you posted is an extremely interesting and in-depth look at that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NGL, the Tekmil sounds likes a Festivus ritual crossed with an AA meeting. It seems like it exists strictly to enforce ideological purity.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

fool of sound posted:

The thread has to have room for 'this is how a society without police deals with bad actors'.

It sure does, but CS has been talked to about how does a society without police deal with bad actors mulitple times this thread, and is attempting to derail the thread by sealioning repeatedly.

Check Yuzenn's post history in this thread for examples if you'd like, as well as Mat Cauthon's.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In the UK there's a saying "there is no such thing as a fascist march, only police marches" it comes from Albert Meltzer "I moved in the early Seventies to a Greenwich council flat, and was there when a widely-advertised fascist march took place, passing a few streets away in Lewisham which had a high proportion of Black residents, As usual, it was more a police demonstration guarding bussed-in fascists marching between their lines."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
CS I'd like you to read and respond to the essay Oldest Man posted.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I think two things:

1. I agree that more neighbourhood based dispute resolution is a good thing and would solve a lot of problems.

2. Extending that model to more serious crimes like murder is ridiculous and foolish. I agree that rehabilitative justice is preferable but just saying “well we will turn that person into a better one” as a general rule without some type of force is foolish.

The reason I brush up against this is because I want the state administering justice, because I do not trust my neighbours. I know people in my neighbourhood who would absolutely wage violence on others if they knew they had no consequences to face from the police. Removing those consequences and then putting them in the hands of the community seems rife with all sorts of problems.

I also think this model is unrealistic given the complex state of the world and the existence of nations, states etc. there shouldn’t be a thousand different approaches to handling murder in the same state, for instance.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

The reason I brush up against this is because I want the state administering justice, because I do not trust my neighbours. I know people in my neighbourhood who would absolutely wage violence on others if they knew they had no consequences to face from the police. Removing those consequences and then putting them in the hands of the community seems rife with all sorts of problems.

You want an effectively unaccountable and armed higher power to enforce rules on the community because you trust them to leave you an alive and whole person, if you ever have to be bothered with them at all. It sounds like you don't, really, ever have to do deal with them personally since you are referring to them constantly as a sort of nebulous deterrent against speculative harm rather than an invasive force of armed fascists that kill certain people for sport which is the actual harm. That's a luxury reserved for a few specific people in this country. And, by no coincidence, you trust those rules that are being enforced to be good enough to you that you can go about your day without being criminalized for the things that you have to do to stay alive, stay in your home, and put food on your plate.

So it's no wonder that you just want the cops to be perhaps a little nicer, be a little less trigger happy, be a little less free with the swastika memes on the facebook, because at the end of the day you're minimizing the bad outcomes of an exploitative taking machine in which you are a beneficiary rather than a wear part. If you fail to care sufficiently about the people being murdered by the cops, beaten by the cops, having all their poo poo taken from them by the cops, forced from their homes by the cops, or raped by the cops - oh well. And if you can't engineer those bad things out of the taking machine with less lethal weapons and unconscious bias training and banning chokeholds and civilian oversight boards and cops watching other cops and all the other failed strategies to take the exploitation out of the violent enforcement of a fundamentally exploitative system that will be forever trotted out again and again in an endless Sisyphean journey up Mount A Few Bad Apples - oh well.

So the fact that systems like the ones used in Cheran and by the Rojava do work elsewhere and that you prefer the heap of corpses spit out from the tail end of our system to the possibility that you might not be sufficiently advantaged in another and casually wave your hand at other possibilities as "rife with all sorts of problems" and "ridiculous" and "foolish" is pretty understandable. It's just another "oh well."

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

You want an effectively unaccountable and armed higher power to enforce rules on the community because you trust them to leave you an alive and whole person, if you ever have to be bothered with them at all. It sounds like you don't, really, ever have to do deal with them personally since you are referring to them constantly as a sort of nebulous deterrent against speculative harm rather than an invasive force of armed fascists that kill certain people for sport which is the actual harm. That's a luxury reserved for a few specific people in this country. And, by no coincidence, you trust those rules that are being enforced to be good enough to you that you can go about your day without being criminalized for the things that you have to do to stay alive, stay in your home, and put food on your plate.

So it's no wonder that you just want the cops to be perhaps a little nicer, be a little less trigger happy, be a little less free with the swastika memes on the facebook, because at the end of the day you're minimizing the bad outcomes of an exploitative taking machine in which you are a beneficiary rather than a wear part. If you fail to care sufficiently about the people being murdered by the cops, beaten by the cops, having all their poo poo taken from them by the cops, forced from their homes by the cops, or raped by the cops - oh well. And if you can't engineer those bad things out of the taking machine with less lethal weapons and unconscious bias training and banning chokeholds and civilian oversight boards and cops watching other cops and all the other failed strategies to take the exploitation out of the violent enforcement of a fundamentally exploitative system that will be forever trotted out again and again in an endless Sisyphean journey up Mount A Few Bad Apples - oh well.

So the fact that systems like the ones used in Cheran and by the Rojava do work elsewhere and that you prefer the heap of corpses spit out from the tail end of our system to the possibility that you might not be sufficiently advantaged in another and casually wave your hand at other possibilities as "rife with all sorts of problems" and "ridiculous" and "foolish" is pretty understandable. It's just another "oh well."

I’m not dealing with this post because you clearly haven’t read what I’ve suggested be done with law enforcement much earlier in the thread, and you’ve misrepresented my views here. So do that, then come back.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

The Oldest Man posted:

Conflict Resolution in a Revolutionary Society

is this put forth as a social model consistent with a multicultural society where communities of people with diametrically different moral and religious outlooks on life are expected to coexist (mainly by leveraging the atomicity of economic life in industrial societies - so that when one goes to a job, buys groceries, goes to the hairdresser, etc., one mainly engages in alienated commodity exchange and not reinforcement of one's place in a network of social relationships)?

is it consistent with a liberal society where a central code of individual rights is expected to supervene over local community norms of justice?

is it a dispositional individualist model envisioned to only apply as a model of societies composed of anarchists who individually favour this mode of conflict resolution, or is it a structural model that holds that institutional change (in e.g. policing) is itself the moral/political/ethical good?

it is certainly an anarchist model, not only in the abolition of police but also in the abolition of legislative process (hence criticism-self-criticism as the main way to identify social wrongs and appropriate weregild)

(this is earnestly asked; I have seen anarchist models answer "no, and that's a good thing" to both questions - some anarchoprimitivists can argue that dense multicultural life can only exist due to state oppression; localists can argue that societies larger than the local community are imaginary communities that don't exist and whose sense of justice shouldn't supervene on actual local communities. Mainly I am curious on your take.)

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 7, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ronya posted:

is this put forth as a social model consistent with a multicultural society where communities of people with diametrically different moral and religious outlooks on life are expected to coexist (mainly by leveraging the atomicity of economic life in industrial societies - so that when one goes to a job, buys groceries, goes to the hairdresser, etc., one mainly engages in alienated commodity exchange and not reinforcement of one's place in a network of social relationships)?

The reason why I brought up three examples is because they're very different from each other in interpretation of what community control of the justice system and policing looks like. IE, Rojava has a federalized court and police system, it's just operated from a set of local control principles that are pretty alien to anyone who understands policing to be a top-down function. The EZLN doesn't have that at all - its affiliated municipalities are organized more like a federation of soviets (even though, yes, they're not actually that and they're not communists). Cheran is a single town that governs itself with neighborhood-scale moots and has a locally controlled public safety group as well as a militia (primarily to defend the area against cartel logging), but is not otherwise anarchist or socialist in any way. These areas are also already multicultural to different degrees. It's a popular statist canard that only top down control can force (and force is the operative word) people with different demographic or cultural or ethnic affiliations to Get Along (at gunpoint), but the economically advantaged in liberal society are constantly stoking up those tensions both at home and abroad to make people easier to divide and exploit. Ethnic, cultural, and religious differences and animus are not magically solved by localism but it's a lot easier to manage them when you are not being fed into an extractive meat-grinder in which you must shove some other group into the gears so that yours can avoid going into them a little longer.

quote:

is it consistent with a liberal society where a central code of individual rights is expected to supervene over local community norms of justice?

Liberal statist societies are all about that universal code of individual rights in the abstract, but absolutely don't give a poo poo about it in practice except as another cudgel to hand to the economically advantaged. Liberals will cite communities in which chauvinist norms and oppression exist as a reason to eliminate community control, but the entire liberal statist system is an exploitative and extractive one, so it's taking the possibility of local oppression (which might, shockingly, oppress someone who is currently white and affluent) and replacing it with the certainty of universal oppression (but it's just poor people and Black people and colonized people so that's ok). And once you have instituted a system of centralized oppression, you will have people employed to operate that system of oppression. And once you have those people, they will build their own culture of violence against the oppressed and come to realize that the law they enforce is a selective law in practice and that they are beneficiaries of that selectivity more than anyone. And they will gravitate toward authoritarian and fascist ideologies (and those with those ideologies already will seek to be employed as enforcers) which condone the violence they do and reinforce their privileges. And the more exploitation that is required to sustain the system, the more violence that is required to enable the exploitation, and the more culturally violent and detached from the rest of society the cops will become, as they have to apply ever more blood by the bucketful to lubricate the gears of the taking machinery.

In other words, I believe in the universality of affirmative individual rights, but those don't exist in practice in a centralized system of law enforcement. A community-controlled system doesn't guarantee them but does not automatically and totally preclude them and is therefore a step in the right direction.

quote:

is it a dispositional individualist model envisioned to only apply as a model of societies composed of anarchists who individually favour this mode of conflict resolution, or is it a structural model that holds that institutional change (in e.g. policing) is itself the moral/political/ethical good?

The latter is a necessary step on the road to creating the former, but it's also a free-standing good of its own. You don't need to be bought in to anarchist ideals to look at a place like Cheran and see that the people there achieved an immediate and sustained good by abolishing their cops, ejecting the federal police, and taking up the work of justice and defense for themselves.

quote:

it is certainly an anarchist model, not only in the abolition of police but also in the abolition of legislative process (hence criticism-self-criticism as the main way to identify social wrongs and appropriate weregild)

(this is earnestly asked; I have seen anarchist models answer "no, and that's a good thing" to both questions - some anarchoprimitivists can argue that dense multicultural life can only exist due to state oppression; localists can argue that societies larger than the local community are imaginary communities that don't exist and whose sense of justice shouldn't supervene on actual local communities. Mainly I am curious on your take.)

Ultimately abolition of the legislative process would also be a good thing since it centralizes decisionmaking in the hands of a few who will inevitably serve narrow interests that will abrogate the positive freedoms of many others, but you don't need to have Full Anarchism Now to realize immediate benefits from shutting down the specific and egregious parts of the death machine today and if a process or system is causing less large-scale sustained and inherent harm, it's reasonable that people are going to expend less energy on getting rid of it because it doesn't fit with some utopian ideal. If I lived in a place where the cops weren't gorging themselves on the economic output of the disadvantaged and didn't kill brutalize people every day, I'd probably spend less time thinking about how to abolish them than other things like the wage system or commodified housing or private property that also cause systemic harm to varying degrees in different places.

Some (extremely white and terminally online) self-described anarchists criticized the EZLN because they didn't do all of the those things immediately, but why should they? Abolishing exploitative and coercive systems is a tool to allow people to attain positive, affirmative freedoms, not a checklist of things to tear down before you can get your anarchist membership club card. Anarchoprimitivists treat not only the state but all of society as the latter - just a bunch of poo poo we need to tear down to get to some idealized individualist paradise without the corrupting influences of industry and medicine and not dying of a superficial wound you got from stepping on a rock. You might as well put up a sign demanding fully automated luxury space communism, in my opinion. That'd be about as useful to oppressed people in their day to day lives and it should surprise no one that anarchoprimitivism and fully automated luxury space communism are both the ideological province of sheltered white people.

So to sum that up, a non-exploitative world requires the abolition of the cops, but the abolition of the cops is good on its own merits whether you see that being a necessary step toward a horizontally organized society or simply the mechanism you need to employ to not get shot in your own bed or sent to real-life jail for not doing your online math homework because you happened to be Black, and if you believe in the former then you must support the struggle of the latter unconditionally. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shot:

quote:

The people who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday are getting support from the president of Chicago’s Fraternal Order of Police lodge.

“They’re individuals,” he said. “They get to do what they want. Again, they were voicing frustration. They’re entitled to voice their frustration. They clearly have been ignored and they’re still being ignored as if they’re lunatics and treasonous now, which is beyond stupid.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicago-police-union-president-defends-those-who-stormed-us-capitol/6842fa80-3b83-4396-af05-a5f15f4ac740

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1347327314363904006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

you clearly haven’t read what I’ve suggested be done with law enforcement much earlier in the thread

There's no way this isn't deliberate trolling, the irony is way to thick. You constantly seem to forget everything said to you here. If sincere, quote yourself instead of forcing each reader to separately try to sort all your old posts.

This q and a is way too smart for me, but I'm gonna reread it a few more times because it's super interesting.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 8, 2021