Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Comrade Koba posted:

FWIW, I leveled a NB from 1 to ~CP160 and I don’t think I ever had more than 1-2 class skills on the main bar. Two of my class skill lines still aren’t maxed out.

As a mag NB main (and pretty familiar with stamblade to the point of end game) for the past 5 years I honestly have no clue how you managed this other than it had to be excruciating painful to witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

As a mag NB main (and pretty familiar with stamblade to the point of end game) for the past 5 years I honestly have no clue how you managed this other than it had to be excruciating painful to witness.

Not really, no.

Mag NB never clicked for me, so couldn't say if it'd be harder that way. But in my experience the self-heals from the stam morphs of Assassin's Blade and Flurry got me through most solo PVE leveling stuff by basically just button mashing. I still used other stuff from the class lines, but they were on the backbar.

I ended up switching from DW stam to 2H just to make it less monotonous.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Every time I fire this up I get so sad and log off after 5 minutes.

Housing is still cool though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering....seeing as I've been very tempted to pick up Oblivion again (but not tempted enough to actually go through with playing it, seeing as how ugly and clunky it is, nowadays) I've been tempted to pick up ESO and play it solo, without a sub.

So anyway, back to the 'wondering' part of what I said: Is TES actually a good solo experience these days? And if so, is the base game (on Steam, in case that comes with less/more content) enough, or would I have to pick up some DLC, to get to the good content?

Hopefully I'm not TOO late to the party here, and also that it's not a total grindfest, since I've got a lot of work to do IRL, so I don't really want to play fantasy EVE! :D

Thanks all

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The stories and lore of the base game is pretty close to usual mmo fare. The fighter & mage guild stories stands out, as does the main quest the first time you play through it.

Much of the dlc content is really good though. Dark brotherhood, thieves guild, the Morrowind - Clockwork City - Summerset storyline are all excellent. The most recent stuff in western Skyrim was less good imo.

If you sub to the game you get access to all content except the most recent expansion (western Skyrim). Do that instead of buying dlc, if you go that route :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Game is perfectly fine if you want to get your solo-friendly, casual TES fix. Sadly that's about all it's good for now

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So my friend and his 7 year old have taken up this game and since I started it to get a Game Pass quest I figured we could play it together while we're waiting for the pandemic to blow over. Is their any goon activity on the Xbox servers for this game?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I've just reactivated my ESO account after getting the Greymoor pack on sale. I've bounced off the game a couple of times but am digging the chill exploration and PvE. Are there many EU goon players active for occasional group stuff? I'm tooling around the starter Skyrim area for now, I rolled a Nord NB ages ago but I'm trying out a Woodelf Warden at the mo that's quite fun.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

dandybrush posted:

I've just reactivated my ESO account after getting the Greymoor pack on sale. I've bounced off the game a couple of times but am digging the chill exploration and PvE. Are there many EU goon players active for occasional group stuff? I'm tooling around the starter Skyrim area for now, I rolled a Nord NB ages ago but I'm trying out a Woodelf Warden at the mo that's quite fun.

I'm similar to you, just redownloaded and started up a new necro, managed to get to 50 quickly in the last event, and now I'm finishing off the main story etc. Feel free to add me - @Poguemahone87. Would be good to roll through some dungeons etc.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Sounds good, dude. Dunno how much I'll be on and I'm like the slowest, least optimal type of casual player just so you're warned! Only around lvl 10 for now but then haven't popped any xp buff items yet so might catch up a bit easier once I actually focus on levelling rather than wandering around aimlessly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pop your XP. You get them quite often

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, what's the fastest way I can use to get into crafting furniture etc, for use in houses and to sell? Since I'll need the plans for the items, as well as the materials - do I have to buy both? Or can I get wood from chopping timber like (sort of) in Skyrim?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

So, what's the fastest way I can use to get into crafting furniture etc, for use in houses and to sell? Since I'll need the plans for the items, as well as the materials - do I have to buy both? Or can I get wood from chopping timber like (sort of) in Skyrim?

Plans appear as random loot or are stolen from cupboards, chests and the like (thievery requires Thieves Guild DLC). All the plans require various crafting materials you can pick up from the ground or as loot. Realistically you will need to buy most of the plans from guild vendors, as there are a whole lot of them, or you can simply buy the finished furniture items with the gold you make from selling crafting materials. Some plans, such as those from the Summerset DLC, are prohibitively expensive to craft, since most of them require valuable jewelry crafting materials. You also need to level the relevant crafting skills to craft furniture, as each plan is separated into these skills (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, etc.). If you just want to decorate your own house, I recommend just buying the finished items.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

dandybrush posted:

the EU goon guild is quite dead unfortunately. I think there's one officer that is still active occasionally

LogRoller
Feb 18, 2003
Your Humble Servant
For people looking for a guild, I run one called The Alliance Pub with a buddy. We are pretty active on Discord, and even made a recruitment video for the contest. It's silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBA2JrrH74&t=4s

Discord invite is https://www.discord.gg/tap

We take casuals to endgamers, and run regular events pretty much daily. I run some PvP raids, mostly for grinding transmutes but we also do some more challenging group raids. I'm @furiouslog in game if you want to look me up. Just mention that you're a goon - we do public and WOM recruits anyway so it's not a big deal but I'd love to know.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Plans appear as random loot or are stolen from cupboards, chests and the like (thievery requires Thieves Guild DLC). All the plans require various crafting materials you can pick up from the ground or as loot. Realistically you will need to buy most of the plans from guild vendors, as there are a whole lot of them, or you can simply buy the finished furniture items with the gold you make from selling crafting materials. Some plans, such as those from the Summerset DLC, are prohibitively expensive to craft, since most of them require valuable jewelry crafting materials. You also need to level the relevant crafting skills to craft furniture, as each plan is separated into these skills (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, etc.). If you just want to decorate your own house, I recommend just buying the finished items.

Hmm, yeah seems like simply buying the furniture is easiest. Although, where CAN I buy it? I checked the market and carpenter in Riften, but all I could find were plans - no actual furniture.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's a good means of accumulating money for newbies? (I'm level six) I've only managed to get around 600, from exploring and completing minor quests

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, yeah seems like simply buying the furniture is easiest. Although, where CAN I buy it? I checked the market and carpenter in Riften, but all I could find were plans - no actual furniture.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's a good means of accumulating money for newbies? (I'm level six) I've only managed to get around 600, from exploring and completing minor quests

https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade/Search

As far as making money goes, Alchemy materials are always in demand so go nuts with those and join a trading guild with a vendor stall. List em and watch the money roll in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Scyantific posted:

https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade/Search

As far as making money goes, Alchemy materials are always in demand so go nuts with those and join a trading guild with a vendor stall. List em and watch the money roll in.

Oh, right! So THAT'S what those guild traders are for. Thanks for that - will do!
By the way, speaking of odd vendors etc, what's the deal with bankers? I noticed I could "buy" one for my house, as well as find them in towns etc...so what, judging from the wiki it seems to let me store items and the like. Can I then retrieve them from any banker in the world, or only certain ones? And is it free, or pricey? Not sure what it'd be useful for, really. Especially since you don't lose anything when you die

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

The quickest way is stealing, but it requires the Thieves Guild DLC and can get pretty tedious in the long run, as there's limits on how many items you can fence per day and increasing them requires levelling the skill line. Stolen goods come in different rarities, so maximising your daily haul means discarding whites, but naturally it will take longer to accumulate the daily allotment going only for greens and above. Or you can just fill your inventory with a few runs around the ships at the Daggerfall Docks, which are conveniently free of nosy guards and NPCs, and then spend the rest of your time playing the actual game.

Selling crafting materials is also very lucrative, but you're similarly limited by 30 active postings per trade guild. You will need an addon like Tamriel Trade Centre or Master Merchant to tell you what they're worth on average. If there's no price listed most guilds are happy to help you or even run addons that reply automatically—right-click the item, choose "Link in chat" and ask for the price. Subscribing helps massively as it provides you with the bottomless Crafting Bag, but it can be hard to give up. It also doubles the number of available furniture slots for your house(s).

Major Isoor posted:

By the way, speaking of odd vendors etc, what's the deal with bankers? I noticed I could "buy" one for my house, as well as find them in towns etc...so what, judging from the wiki it seems to let me store items and the like. Can I then retrieve them from any banker in the world, or only certain ones? And is it free, or pricey? Not sure what it'd be useful for, really. Especially since you don't lose anything when you die

They're pretty expensive to acquire, but they go on sale once or twice every year. They're very useful, especially if you don't have the Crafting Bag. You can summon them anywhere and place them in your house(s), but otherwise provide the same service as the stationary bankers except putting stuff up for sale. You also need to pay gold to increase their item storage capacity, but this applies across all bankers.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 7, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, right! So THAT'S what those guild traders are for. Thanks for that - will do!
Bank: Starts with 60 slots, you get a free upgrade, on reaching level 16 with your first character, to 70. You can buy increasingly more expensive upgrades up to 240: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Banks
Bank inventory is the same at every banker and is shared between all your characters. It's useful to transfer between characters and because eventually you'll have too much stuff to store on your person.

The banker you can buy for you house is super expensive (real money or 1-2 million gold in a trade with someone else paying real money) and is purely a convenience thing, it's the exact same bank inventory as you can access from any world banker.

Bankers can also be used to browse guild banks or sell things in guilds you're in, the house banker doesn't let you do those things.

Major Isoor posted:

Gold is level scaled, and not evenly, so even getting to level 20 or 25 will make a big difference. The loot you find in the world is also worth more as you level. That said, selling things on guild stores is much more profitable than quest gold, though daily quests, especially the crafting writs, are a nice quick way to get daily gold. I've made my money mostly through daily writs on multiple characters and the hirelings bringing me mats every day.

SplitSoul posted:

The quickest way is stealing, but it requires the Thieves Guild DLC and can get pretty tedious in the long run, as there's limits on how many items you can fence per day and increasing them requires levelling the skill line. Stolen goods come in different rarities, so maximising your daily haul means discarding whites, but naturally it will take longer to accumulate the daily allotment going only for greens and above. Or you can just fill your inventory with a few runs around the ships at the Daggerfall Docks, which are conveniently free of nosy guards and NPCs, and then spend the rest of your time playing the actual game.
Stealing does not require the Thieves Guild DLC. The only advantage the Thieves Guild DLC gives is that when you level up the skill it has a passive that lets your bounty decay much faster. Don't get me wrong, this is incredibly useful, but it's far from necessary, especially if you're cautious about where you're stealing. It's more useful if you're pickpocketing or murdering or trying to steal in busy places. If you're just trying to steal for profit then there are plenty of places with no guards and minimal witnesses where you can mostly avoid a bounty in the first place, and if you steal as the last thing you do for the day any normal size bounty should be gone by the next time you log in.

The price of stolen objects is fixed, so it's a very good way to make money at low level if you don't want to sell on guild stores, less good at higher levels. Though as you level up you legerdemain skill you get a better proportion of the higher quality loot (white is 40, green is 100, blue is 250, purple 1500). If you're going to steal put one skill point in Trafficker, it raises how many items you can sell per day from 50 to 110. The other upgrades aren't worth a skill point since they only increase the limit by 10 each.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 7, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for that - great info! Speaking of the thieves guild DLC, how's the Dark Brotherhood? Is that good for cash, too? And how high-risk is it, bounty-wise? Seems like it could potentially backfire and make life harder sometimes, for a low-level like me

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Stealing does not require the Thieves Guild DLC.

Oops. I was sure that was the case.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for that - great info! Speaking of the thieves guild DLC, how's the Dark Brotherhood? Is that good for cash, too? And how high-risk is it, bounty-wise? Seems like it could potentially backfire and make life harder sometimes, for a low-level like me
Dark Brotherhood skill line has a passive that lowers the bounty for killing people. Also bounty deprecates by time, only the amount scales, so being low level isn't any more dangerous, you have less money but your bounties are lower. So if a level 5 gets caught stealing their bounty would be 8, while a level 50's bounty would be 100, but both would take 6 minutes to disappear (these numbers aren't accurate but roughly like that). Also DB gives you the Blade of Woe which lets you kill most NPCs with a single click, and you get no bounty if no one sees you. So killing people, if you're careful, with the blade of woe isn't too risky.

As for whether it's profitable, I don't think so. You get to steal one thing off a dead body and it's the same kind of stuff you can steal from chests. From a thieving perspective the best thing about it is that if you find those places (ships, manors, etc) with sparse NPCs and no guards, you can murder the relevant people first and then not worry about whether they see you, but it's not a big deal, they're generally not too hard to avoid if you're willing to wait a little bit for them to move away.

I haven't done much DB, so maybe there's other stuff with it that I'm missing. I know there's a passive which gets you a free something every day which is a couple hundred gold worth either selling to a vendor or on a guild store but I haven't gotten that on any characters.

That's not to say it's not worth getting for other reasons, there's a combo pack of 3 for the price of 2 with Thieves guild, DB and Orisinium which goes on sale for half off from time to time. And they're all included in a sub if you're doing that.

For reference in terms of earning gold in game:
An hour of thieving can get you 4000-15000 gold if you find a good place to do it, of which there are a number.
Doing the 7 daily writs, which on PC takes maybe 5 minutes if you have everything you need which you won't at the start but isn't hard to get once you start, gives 4200 at level 50, 2800 at level 25, 2100 at level 13, 1400 at level 6. Here's the gold reward table to see how it scales per level.
Mat farming for an hour can get you 30000-50000 in mats, but you have to a) find a loop that is reasonably efficient and doesn't have others taking the mats, b) you have to sell things through a guild and c) it's tedious and boring.

Thieving rewards are instanced, so while it's less profitable per minute than mat farming you're not competing with other players for the loot so it's more consistent. Writs are very profitable per time spent, but you can only do 6 or 7(if you have summerset) per character per day, so there's a hard cap.

All of that said, getting gold that way isn't very necessary for questing or just playing the game, there's not much you actually need to buy. It is necessary for end game stuff, which unfortunately for you housing mostly falls into. Houses beyond the starter apartments are expensive, and most furnishings are expensive.

Also, since your original post mentioned the NPC merchants, note that there's very little that you should buy from them instead of buying from a guild store. The blue enchanting runes and the style materials for crafting armor/weapons are the only things that are regularly cheaper to buy from them vs guild stores. Sometimes a few furnishing plans are cheaper from them, but usually guild stores are the better bet, also NPC merchants only sell basic stuff.

Oh, also this: There are daily rewards for logging in and this month the 21st reward is 100,000. So if you login on 21 days, and claim the rewards each day, you'll get 100,000 gold on the 21st day. So even if you don't play every day, take 3 minutes to login and claim the daily reward.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Also DB gives you the Blade of Woe which lets you kill most NPCs with a single click, and you get no bounty if no one sees you. So killing people, if you're careful, with the blade of woe isn't too risky.

It's worth to point out that the Blade of Woe skill also works on most humanoid non-elite enemies. So if you enjoy playing a sneaky stabby dude, you can skulk around enemy camps like a drat ninja and one-shot everyone you see.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DB also have one of the best QoL passives in Shadow Rider. It effectively gives you npc stealth when mounted.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Comrade Koba posted:

It's worth to point out that the Blade of Woe skill also works on most humanoid non-elite enemies. So if you enjoy playing a sneaky stabby dude, you can skulk around enemy camps like a drat ninja and one-shot everyone you see.

It cannot be overstated how fun this is when you're just loving around in random zones.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Error 404 posted:

It cannot be overstated how fun this is when you're just loving around in random zones.

Yeah, the Blade of Woe has come in really handy countless times for me.

It bears mentioning that if you're within a certain range of your target you can actually hurl the blade at them for a ranged kill. I discovered this entirely by accident.

It should also be mentioned that kills with the Blade suffer a staggering XP reduction so you can't turbolevel using it, though the bulk of XP gain seems to me to come from completing quests rather than actually murking dudes.

The other thing I discovered is that the button press that activates the Blade is also the same button press for feeding if you're a vampire, which my Nightblade is, so numerous times I've lost out on the bonus XP/loot/whatever you get for shanking your contract target because instead my character has either chowed down on their neck or torn the blood from their body from five yards away.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Have they mentioned if their going to give out more character slots with the new expansion? I'm already got 18 and I have a few ideas for more characters.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

LogRoller posted:

For people looking for a guild, I run one called The Alliance Pub with a buddy. We are pretty active on Discord, and even made a recruitment video for the contest. It's silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBA2JrrH74&t=4s

Discord invite is https://www.discord.gg/tap

We take casuals to endgamers, and run regular events pretty much daily. I run some PvP raids, mostly for grinding transmutes but we also do some more challenging group raids. I'm @furiouslog in game if you want to look me up. Just mention that you're a goon - we do public and WOM recruits anyway so it's not a big deal but I'd love to know.

lol your video got a few chuckles out of me, nice

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can we talk about how old the House of Earthly Pleasure is? This takes place like 400 years before Marrowind right? So this strip club is like ancient.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Just made a nightblade I want to use to be a sneaky thief, should I invest in stamina or magicka?

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

The other thing I discovered is that the button press that activates the Blade is also the same button press for feeding if you're a vampire, which my Nightblade is, so numerous times I've lost out on the bonus XP/loot/whatever you get for shanking your contract target because instead my character has either chowed down on their neck or torn the blood from their body from five yards away.

Get the Vampire’s Woe add-on. It’s a game-changer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

a pale ghost posted:

Just made a nightblade I want to use to be a sneaky thief, should I invest in stamina or magicka?

Stamina. The stealth is all Stam based

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ebenezer posted:

Get the Vampire’s Woe add-on. It’s a game-changer.

Nice, thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For tanking, the Ebon armor set is bugged when combined with the Ebon weapons, what would I want to use instead for a 1-hand/shield?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I really want to enjoy PvP in this game but playing a melee character I can't keep up with my target half the time or land any of my abilities. I'm also doing almost no damage. It's beyond frustrating

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PvP in this game is garbage, don't bother doing it unless you hate yourself and wish you weren't alive.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I dipped my toe back into this and I may or may not keep going. Is there a trade guild I can join without any minimum weekly sale amounts or anything? I seem to have been booted from everything except the goon guild... understandably as I haven't been logged in for at least a year or so

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

I really want to enjoy PvP in this game but playing a melee character I can't keep up with my target half the time or land any of my abilities. I'm also doing almost no damage. It's beyond frustrating

First mistake is wanting to PvP in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hakarne posted:

I dipped my toe back into this and I may or may not keep going. Is there a trade guild I can join without any minimum weekly sale amounts or anything? I seem to have been booted from everything except the goon guild... understandably as I haven't been logged in for at least a year or so
Yeah, there are a bunch. Search the guild finder, read the fine print. Also apply with whichever character has the most achievement points because I think some of them look at that as a proxy for "does this person know what a trade guild is and will they be around in a week." Try to get one with a base game trader and not in an outlaw refuge. You're unlikely to find one in the main hubs, but you should be able to find some in main cities in the other zones.