Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

CommonShore posted:

If I do this will it maintain some degree of clarity, or will it become opaque? More so I know what to expect at this point.

It will remain clear as glass from the top. Don't scuff or sand just pour right on top and it adheres to itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JEEVES420 posted:

It will remain clear as glass from the top. Don't scuff or sand just pour right on top and it adheres to itself.

Well poo poo let's do that then.

Let's just get the babby's first epoxy out of the way now then - Should I do the epoxy before or after my other wood finishes? How does epoxy react with other finishes such as BLO, stain, urethane, or laquer?

I did watch one video on epoxy, but it turns out that the info it was giving was misleading, and I didn't really like the channel because they kept talking about how cool black rifle coffee is.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

CommonShore posted:

I was hoping to have something approaching transparent or tinted translucent, but I spose that's not necessary.

If I do this will it maintain some degree of clarity, or will it become opaque? More so I know what to expect at this point.

You should be able to keep it reasonably transparent, I've believe the big factor in it clouding (assuming it's not super old resin) is humidity and keeping the pour near the recommended max. Making sure you pop the bubbles also key whether with a torch or doing vacuum of some kind if your piece is something you can do it on. I had no problems just torching mine though. My only real fuckup was when my hand slipped and touched the epoxy while it was still tacky and contaminated one little section.

Despite what's said above if you do colour you can match reasonably well if you're anal retentive about your mixture but YMMV, it's not going to be perfect but depending on colours it won't be crazy noticeable either.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Well poo poo let's do that then.

Let's just get the babby's first epoxy out of the way now then - Should I do the epoxy before or after my other wood finishes? How does epoxy react with other finishes such as BLO, stain, urethane, or laquer?

I did watch one video on epoxy, but it turns out that the info it was giving was misleading, and I didn't really like the channel because they kept talking about how cool black rifle coffee is.

Before the wood finish. It will seep into the pours of the wood to build a strong bond and you can put any finish on it after. Stains and oils will just wipe off while urethane or laquer will just add a clear coat to it.

What video was it? I'd be curious to to who it was.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 25, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Looks cool, but I donno if you can call it a bar without space for a bartender

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rutibex posted:

Looks cool, but I donno if you can call it a bar without space for a bartender

I have my really tall neighbor stand outside the window and serve me drinks.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Looks great though there's a weird spot on the center panel next to the drawers that I'm hoping is just the camera :ohdear:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Looking at the picture, I really should have used a level.

Just give yourself up to a level-free life IMO. Every time I do something that's actually leveled it looks twice as crooked because not a single surface in this house is anything like level.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wallet posted:

Looks great though there's a weird spot on the center panel next to the drawers that I'm hoping is just the camera :ohdear:

Just give yourself up to a level-free life IMO. Every time I do something that's actually leveled it looks twice as crooked because not a single surface in this house is anything like level.

That’s just the reflection in the door.
The level comment was just me making a joke about the photo being crooked.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

Progress on the bar. I'm at about 98% done.

I need to sand and stain the drawers again. When I mounted the doors I noticed they were a little bit lighter.

I need to put the toe kick on as well as the hvac vent.

I'm not doing the shelves on the sides until I get the window done (having a bay window put there).

Edit: Looking at the picture, I really should have used a level.

Looks sharp. I'm glad you went with the wine rack uncovered, I like it much better this way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The grain on the drawer fronts being horizontal and everything else vertical is the only thing I dislike about that.

Everything else is top notch.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

serious gaylord posted:

The grain on the drawer fronts being horizontal and everything else vertical is the only thing I dislike about that.

Everything else is top notch.

I've had the same thought, but I don't have a piece wide enough to get them with vertical grain.

If I am at the lumber yard and see one, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. The drawer fronts would be stupid easy to replace.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've had the same thought, but I don't have a piece wide enough to get them with vertical grain.

If I am at the lumber yard and see one, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. The drawer fronts would be stupid easy to replace.

A single piece that you can cut into the 3 would be perfect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JEEVES420 posted:

Before the wood finish. It will seep into the pours of the wood to build a strong bond and you can put any finish on it after. Stains and oils will just wipe off while urethane or laquer will just add a clear coat to it.

What video was it? I'd be curious to to who it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9mr95od24&t=1066s

The info this thread is giving is in some cases running contrary to what this guy is saying. It was on the basis of this info especially that I was looking for deep pour epoxy, which turns out to be a big expense which might be wholly unnecessary.

thank you for the tips. I 100% trust goons above youtube.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CommonShore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9mr95od24&t=1066s

The info this thread is giving is in some cases running contrary to what this guy is saying. It was on the basis of this info especially that I was looking for deep pour epoxy, which turns out to be a big expense which might be wholly unnecessary.

thank you for the tips. I 100% trust goons above youtube.

This guy knows his stuff but you're looking at it from his point of view which is deep pour resin tables. I thought it was him when you mentioned the black rifle coffee.

You're trying to fill a hole. Completely different application and as such theres many different ways to do it.

Also on the subject of youtube recommendations I always like this guys videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FksrzP3q-IuoWTiG501LQ

He's extremely English but spent his life as a custom cabinet maker so a lot of his videos have these lovely quality of life tips that you only get after 30 years of doing things.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Matt Cremona has a video where he uses epoxy to fill a void in a slab. I'll see if I can find it, he finishes it after the pour I think.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well I bought some epoxy and I'm going to tint it blue. Wish me luck folks. I hope I don't gently caress it up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rofl I might have to flip the board over and redrill some holes because the side I was going to have up looks like a big blue :dong: now that it's filled. We'll see how it looks once it hardens I guess.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not hearing a downside:gizz:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CommonShore posted:

rofl I might have to flip the board over and redrill some holes because the side I was going to have up looks like a big blue :dong: now that it's filled. We'll see how it looks once it hardens I guess.

Lean into it, friend

Bad Munki posted:

Drilled holes through a couple rungs and screwed it to the log. The cuts in the log were just to give me a flat surface to screw against, and to accommodate the rungs because I wanted to set it a little lower into the log.

Anyhow, I'm about halfway through the log now, and I just got to this layer. It's going to be a sign for the workshop. My last name is Short, so of course it'll read "The Short Wood Shop"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

what did you use to tint it...I hope it wasn't alcohol ink :ohdear: Ink will seep into grain and stain it. Pigments don't though and sanding down after pouring proud should remove it except in the filled in areas.

Now if your void is a dick there was no hope to begin with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JEEVES420 posted:

what did you use to tint it...I hope it wasn't alcohol ink :ohdear: Ink will seep into grain and stain it. Pigments don't though and sanding down after pouring proud should remove it except in the filled in areas.

Now if your void is a dick there was no hope to begin with.

Specifically an epoxy pigment. But the void was dick shaped in a way that wasn't obvious before I filled it because of the shapes of the sides.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Show us pics of your dick, already! :justpost:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uthor posted:

Show us pics of your dick, already! :justpost:

Lol later but I will

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLC5pBE1r4

Here's the Matt Cremona video where he fills a few voids in a red oak slab and then finishes the whole thing.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Progress on the bar. I'm at about 98% done.

What brand and color of green is that on the walls?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Olothreutes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLC5pBE1r4

Here's the Matt Cremona video where he fills a few voids in a red oak slab and then finishes the whole thing.

Well THAT's fun! I think I need to just accept that for much of this I'm still in the "use materials and learn as you go" phase. I wish that my epoxy pour had turned out that nice - I might need to top it off ab it, and I'm worried that it's leaking .... but we'll see! I'll take a picture tomorrow once it's cured so we can see both sides. I think I made some mistakes but oh well. That's what I'm doing here I guess.

One thing I do see is that my epoxy is much goopier than his (and other epoxy I've seen in videos). I've seen lots of ery free flowing substance, but my Part A liquid was more like honey.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Well THAT's fun! I think I need to just accept that for much of this I'm still in the "use materials and learn as you go" phase. I wish that my epoxy pour had turned out that nice - I might need to top it off ab it, and I'm worried that it's leaking .... but we'll see! I'll take a picture tomorrow once it's cured so we can see both sides. I think I made some mistakes but oh well. That's what I'm doing here I guess.

One thing I do see is that my epoxy is much goopier than his (and other epoxy I've seen in videos). I've seen lots of ery free flowing substance, but my Part A liquid was more like honey.

I'm definitely not an epoxy expert but maybe that's temperature related? You might try warming stuff up before you mix/pour next time just to see if it changes anything.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

The hardener is always thicker. I like to mix it before adding pigment so I can see it. When it is mixed right you won't see any swirls in the clear. Old resin will come out like lumpy snot.

It will also seep into the wood so a second pour is common. Depending how much sanding you want to do, you can pour proud and then just sand flush.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Olothreutes posted:

I'm definitely not an epoxy expert but maybe that's temperature related? You might try warming stuff up before you mix/pour next time just to see if it changes anything.

Good thinking. They were on the low-ish end of room temperature - sitting around the house for a few hours before I took them out to the workshop. I'll get them a bit warmer next time.

(and yes, I have the whole setup near a heater in the workshop so it's warm enough to cure).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What brand and color of green is that on the walls?

Benjamin Moore Webster Green.
It looks really good with the Hamilton Blue in the next room

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 7, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That looks sharp, please don't let anyone talk you into painting that trim.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Huxley posted:

That looks sharp, please don't let anyone talk you into painting that trim.

When we were house shopping we so saw many lovely turn-of-the-century houses with gorgeous trim... slathered with lovely, goopy white paint :negative:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

As promised the blue phallus epoxy pour. Top

And bottom

A few lessons learned, and I have sanding to do. I put probably 10x as much pigment as I needed to get the effect I wanted (I added about a pea's worth to 4 oz of resin). Really I shouldn't have even bothered with the blue.

I've already dry fit the shelf but I think I'm going to sacrifice the hidden dowels to expose the j shape.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's Maui's hook!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't think it really looks like a dick, and I definitely wouldn't have thought it if you hadn't already made a point about it. The J side looks good too, but I don't think you need to give up on the original show face if you don't want to.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey OP I'm concerned about your reproductive health if that's your baseline, might want to see a doctor

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Looks good and with a top up filling the outlying cracks it will look great once sanded.

With a larger pool like that and the need for a top off, try adding the same amount of pigment to one cup and a very small amount of pigment to another cup. Pour the darker color then just a thick line down the middle with the lighter, you can drag a toothpick around it to spread it a bit. One or two drags as you don't want to mix it, it will give the resin some depth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

more falafel please posted:

I don't think it really looks like a dick, and I definitely wouldn't have thought it if you hadn't already made a point about it. The J side looks good too, but I don't think you need to give up on the original show face if you don't want to.

ok well I'll see how they finish up. I like the J shape better, but the grain around the hole on the current show surface is just nicer and I'm convinced that part will look really good once it gets some finish on it to make it pop. I will need to add another layer of epoxy to the side that was on top of the pour because it settled a bit, and so I'll do that today before it cures too far so I can keep my options open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Benjamin Moore Webster Green.
It looks really good with the Hamilton Blue in the next room

Dammit now you've got me rethinking the whole color scheme I had planned.