Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And Tyler Too! posted:

Agreed, consumer goods are a lovely fun tax and they should have been axed a long time ago.
If CG is a fun tax what does that make food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think there was some issue where it spawned in a way that gave enemies access to it instead of you or something?

Idk, I don't really like it either.
Pretty sure they did it because having every special system be a single hyperlane nubbin dead end was kind of lame, and because shaking up the galaxy layout every so often is cool and good.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Splicer posted:

If CG is a fun tax what does that make food?

An afterthought. I don't have to waste building slots on farms and districts are plentiful. Hopefully industrial districts fix this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And Tyler Too! posted:

An afterthought. I don't have to waste building slots on farms and districts are plentiful. Hopefully industrial districts fix this.
Talking about the industrial districts change is what started this whole convo so super glad we're all in agreement!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'd still rather they didn't exist. I'm pretty sure my scientists and entertainers would rather have cold hard cash instead of knick-knacks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's still bizzare to me that food is a empire-wide thing instead of per-planet. Like amenities? Sure you could argue it's realism, and that food logistics infrastructure is abstracted away, but it still doesn't change that food is a totally pointless+braindead resource. When was the last time you had a serious food shortage, and conversely what are the benefits to having an excess? I guess you could consider it foreshadowing for the admin building.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'd still rather they didn't exist. I'm pretty sure my scientists and entertainers would rather have cold hard cash instead of knick-knacks.

my friend, what do you think they are gonna spend that cold hard cash on? alloys?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Food playing into some production chain or having bonuses for excess would be nice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Serephina posted:

It's still bizzare to me that food is a empire-wide thing instead of per-planet. Like amenities? Sure you could argue it's realism, and that food logistics infrastructure is abstracted away, but it still doesn't change that food is a totally pointless+braindead resource. When was the last time you had a serious food shortage, and conversely what are the benefits to having an excess? I guess you could consider it foreshadowing for the admin building.

It used to be per-planet. It was terrible and creates a lot more busywork.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What if they put in an edict where you can spend a bunch of food and get some kind of bonus, maybe pop growth?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

my friend, what do you think they are gonna spend that cold hard cash on? alloys?

I certainly hope so :colbert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It used to be per-planet. It was terrible and creates a lot more busywork.

I agree, and it'd be nice if amenities were empire wide as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yami Fenrir posted:

That is like, the best use for habitats. You use them to get building slots for stuff you dont want on your planets. Especially admin cap and refineries are good.

I also like putting them on mineral/energy deposits because you can get a ton more out of each deposit that way.

Oh i didn't know that. i just stuck them on planets I probably won't develop later using megastructures.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

binge crotching posted:

I agree, and it'd be nice if amenities were empire wide as well.

Oh god food being planet specific was so bad and anyone wanting it back is like, factually wrong.

I think amenities are mostly fine. You rarely need more than one or two holo theatres and there are surprisingly many ways to get empire wide bonuses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Maintenance drones really need a pass though. I constantly either have all the jobs taken up, thus providing a massive surplus of amenities that is basically worthless, or having zero jobs taken up, thus causing massive unrest.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

Maintenance drones really need a pass though. I constantly either have all the jobs taken up, thus providing a massive surplus of amenities that is basically worthless, or having zero jobs taken up, thus causing massive unrest.

Yeah they are incredibly annoying to deal with tbh. You basically have to both favorite the job and then limit the max jobs all the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eimi posted:

Food playing into some production chain or having bonuses for excess would be nice.

I could see something like by default excess food just gives you a scaling happiness bonus based on amount of excess and number of pops in the empire, and you can build storage silo buildings if you want to have a stockpile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

[Food Fight], a rare social tech offering replacement of Holo Theaters with Food Court Combat Arenas

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dirk the Average posted:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah they are incredibly annoying to deal with tbh. You basically have to both favorite the job and then limit the max jobs all the time.

The weighting is (now) reasonable. There used to be a bug where there wasn't a +ve weight to the job for having negative amenities, just a massive -ve weight for having positive amenities. So it used to be much worse.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The weighting is (now) reasonable. There used to be a bug where there wasn't a +ve weight to the job for having negative amenities, just a massive -ve weight for having positive amenities. So it used to be much worse.

I don't know about that. I've constantly got stability warnings because my drones don't staff the jobs when they need to even now.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Dirk the Average posted:

Generally the job-allocation logic could really do with some looking over. Oh I'm at -25 amenities and with a global deficit on energy, with free maintenance and generator jobs everywhere, because it decided to prioritize allocating the last mining job to push my surplus from +340 to +342 or whatever. Great idea!

Also, I don't think it would be an improvement gameplay wise, but thematically I would like if self-sufficiency was required mad alleviated using the trade network, with the game modeling what is transported where based on production/need, and piracy could then cause local shortages. If you have yourself, you could include "location of resource storage" in the system for maximal pain! That would really require changing how trade interacts with starbases though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phosphine posted:

Generally the job-allocation logic could really do with some looking over. Oh I'm at -25 amenities and with a global deficit on energy, with free maintenance and generator jobs everywhere, because it decided to prioritize allocating the last mining job to push my surplus from +340 to +342 or whatever. Great idea!

Also, I don't think it would be an improvement gameplay wise, but thematically I would like if self-sufficiency was required mad alleviated using the trade network, with the game modeling what is transported where based on production/need, and piracy could then cause local shortages. If you have yourself, you could include "location of resource storage" in the system for maximal pain! That would really require changing how trade interacts with starbases though
An abstract version of this I was thinking of would be a penalty on net exports. If you look at the planet screen it has a line that tells you what the planet's net energy, food etc is. If you applied a small penalty to exports then you'd have a soft encouragement to produce your food and energy and minerals locally while still keeping giant farm or mining planets covered in stacking bonuses viable.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 7, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

An abstract version of this I was thinking of would be a penalty on net exports. If you look at the planet screen it has a line that tells you what the planet's net energy, food etc is. If you applied a small penalty to exports then you'd have a soft encouragement to produce your food and energy and minerals locally while still keeping giant farm planets covered in stacking bonuses viable.

That sounds like a terrible idea.

There's enough fiddly poo poo in the game lets not add base resources to that...

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Phosphine posted:

Also, I don't think it would be an improvement gameplay wise, but thematically I would like if self-sufficiency was required but alleviated using the trade network, with the game modeling what is transported where based on production/need, and piracy could then cause local shortages. If you have yourself, you could include "location of resource storage" in the system for maximal pain! That would really require changing how trade interacts with starbases though

Lol quote is not edit. My thinking was with no penalties, except that every planet would need to or automatically be connected to the trade network, which I think would be enough of a cost

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

[Food Fight], a rare social tech offering replacement of Holo Theaters with Food Court Combat Arenas

This but a Giga-Hibachi.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

This but a Giga-Hibachi.

I read that as "Giga-Hitachi". Make of this what you will.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rosalie_A posted:

I read that as "Giga-Hitachi". Make of this what you will.

Perfect for the Worm in Waiting to spice up their OnlyFans.

EDIT: I keep trying to apply a template to my species but it keeps getting undone.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 8, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

twistedmentat posted:

Perfect for the Worm in Waiting to spice up their OnlyFans.

EDIT: I keep trying to apply a template to my species but it keeps getting undone.

You need to activate it in the Situation Log.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I decided to pop into the thread to see if the slim chance of Stellaris getting even slightly fixed may have happened then I see this and lol, I guess I'll stay gone.

Don't worry, the next patch will fix it!

Lol

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

really queer Christmas posted:

Don't worry, the next patch will fix it!

Lol

To be fair, the patches usually DO improve things a little.

Very little.

The bare minimum.

And the glaring issues just sort of... never get fixed.

:sigh:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I will never stop lolling at the conceptual logic that if you grab a new species anywhere it will be half of your empire in 10 years. :tipshat:

Machine Empire / Hive Mind 4eva

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I will never stop lolling at the conceptual logic that if you grab a new species anywhere it will be half of your empire in 10 years. :tipshat:

Machine Empire / Hive Mind 4eva

What, you don't want to taste the rainbow?

My favorite is when you go Void Dweller, your main species LOVES growing on relic worlds.

Despite sucking at living there, because the trait only gets applied afterwards.

And it's not always possible to disable migration for them because it's your main species.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

This is why I have to have xenophobe on my necrophage. If I ever get a species I don't like, well just push a button and soon they're one I love. :v: Though it is annoying when I let multiple species in my empire and they grow over my buddy race who I mixmaxed their traits so they'd grow super fast.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hadn't played since Ancient Relics, just got the Irassians as my precursors. I now have a bioweapon. :stonk:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dareon posted:

Hadn't played since Ancient Relics, just got the Irassians as my precursors. I now have a bioweapon. :stonk:

Congratulations, you now have the tools necessary to save your framerate lategame.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Embrace Death Star thought. That annoying species that bothered you early game? Wipe them from the face of the galaxy. :colbert:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Eimi posted:

Embrace Death Star thought. That annoying species that bothered you early game? Wipe them from the face of the galaxy. :colbert:

This is what happened in my purifier galaxy conquest I did a while ago, actually. I couldn't be arsed to actually capture planets anymore, I just bombed them into tomb worlds and/or exploded the planet wholesale. Much more convenient!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

My favorite is when you go Void Dweller, your main species LOVES growing on relic worlds.

Despite sucking at living there, because the trait only gets applied afterwards.

And it's not always possible to disable migration for them because it's your main species.

:confused: But that's great!

As long as you go the genetic ascension route to make editing out the negative trait super-cheap, of course. :v:

It's also a bit min-maxi and micro heavy, I suppose. But there's just something oddly satisfying of finding this large loophole in the dev's programming and massively abusing it.

My secret dream is still a version of Void Dweller where all this wonky poo poo (growing on relic worlds, having an editable negative trait, burdened with expensive standard habitats without any special bonuses to building them, etc.) is corrected.

I really want to play "real" Void Dwellers with only robots and aliens populating planets, if at all, and my species only living in artificial worlds (obviously, this should include ring worlds and Ecus, because let's be real here)

Anyway, I already played tons of Void Dwellers and until the great industry revamp drops, I'll instead try to continue my current boring normal planet start. Maybe I even finish this time before a new patch makes me restart? :lol: Of course not. :lol:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

:confused: But that's great!

As long as you go the genetic ascension route to make editing out the negative trait super-cheap, of course. :v:

It's also a bit min-maxi and micro heavy, I suppose. But there's just something oddly satisfying of finding this large loophole in the dev's programming and massively abusing it.

My secret dream is still a version of Void Dweller where all this wonky poo poo (growing on relic worlds, having an editable negative trait, burdened with expensive standard habitats without any special bonuses to building them, etc.) is corrected.

I really want to play "real" Void Dwellers with only robots and aliens populating planets, if at all, and my species only living in artificial worlds (obviously, this should include ring worlds and Ecus, because let's be real here)

Anyway, I already played tons of Void Dwellers and until the great industry revamp drops, I'll instead try to continue my current boring normal planet start. Maybe I even finish this time before a new patch makes me restart? :lol: Of course not. :lol:

The only one who ever finishes a Stellaris game is the one that wants to get an cheevo for doing so :V

FWIW I think Void Dwellers will be a lot less miserable once the industry revamp happens. I really feel like they need a serious influence discount still, though.

Also good god no I am not editting out a trait every five minutes, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Eimi posted:

I always decide it's easier to do total war via colossus or genocidal than to bother with claims and invasions and poo poo. Game sucks when you have to steam roll 20+ planets without that. Colossus is just annoyingly slow is all. Still better than fiddling with armies and trying to unfuck planets.