Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cojawfee posted:

Didn't Krakauer accuse some lady journalist of sleeping with people on the mountain and also not being serious because she had a fancy coffee maker vagina?

Fixed that for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Didn't Krakauer accuse some lady journalist of sleeping with people on the mountain and also not being serious because she had a fancy coffee maker?

That was Sandy Pittman and AFAIK he didn't accuse her of sleeping with anyone, but he does describe her as treating the climb as a glorified media op with her as the star, including having sherpas lug all her heavy recording equipment and satellite phone up the mountain for her.

This article goes into some more detail.
https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/09/sandy-hill-pittman-mount-everest

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

That was Sandy Pittman and AFAIK he didn't accuse her of sleeping with anyone, but he does describe her as treating the climb as a glorified media op with her as the star, including having sherpas lug all her heavy recording equipment and satellite phone up the mountain for her.

This article goes into some more detail.
https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/09/sandy-hill-pittman-mount-everest

From what I remember of Krakauer's book, he said the sherpas literally had to carry her up the mountain at one point. It's been a while since I've read it, but I also felt like he was a fairly impartial observer of what happened with her, it didn't seem like he ever singled her out.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Smekerman posted:

From what I remember of Krakauer's book, he said the sherpas literally had to carry her up the mountain at one point. It's been a while since I've read it, but I also felt like he was a fairly impartial observer of what happened with her, it didn't seem like he ever singled her out.

Yes, and she's confirmed it herself. She claimed she didn't want him to do it, but went along with it because she didn't want to be disrespectful.

It's a bit weird, because while Pittman was a wealthy celebrity socialite, she wasn't an unskilled climber. She'd done six of the seven top summits already and could probably have pulled Everest off without much trouble.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Comrade Koba posted:

IIRC Krakauer mentions this at one point in Into Thin Air. He doesn't name any names, but apparently there was a couple loving in a tent on the mountain at some point during the 1996 expedition. Can't remember if it was in base camp or higher up, but apparently the sherpas were loving furious.

I read that same book and recall they called it "making sauce!", which did not, to me, convey anger.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I read that same book and recall they called it "making sauce!", which did not, to me, convey anger.

I went back and checked, and while being furious about it wasn't an accurate description, some sherpas did seem to take issue.

Into Thin Air posted:

But despite the Sherpas’ laughter (to say nothing of their own notoriously libertine habits), they fundamentally disapproved of sex between unmarried couples on the divine flanks of Sagarmatha. Whenever the weather would turn nasty, one or another Sherpa was apt to point up at the clouds boiling heavenward and earnestly declare, “Somebody has been sauce-making. Make bad luck. Now storm is coming.”

quote:

There seemed to be a similarly lax attitude concerning fornication on the slopes of Everest: even though they paid lip service to the prohibition, more than a few Sherpas made exceptions for their own behavior—in 1996, a romance even blossomed between a Sherpa and an American woman associated with the IMAX expedition. It therefore seemed strange that the Sherpas would blame Ngawang’s illness on the extramarital encounters taking place in one of the Mountain Madness tents. But when I pointed out the inconsistency to Lopsang Jangbu Sherpa—Fischer’s twenty-three-year-old climbing sirdar—he insisted that the real problem was not that one of Fischer’s climbers had been “sauce-making” at Base Camp but rather that she continued to sleep with her paramour high on the mountain.

“Mount Everest is God—for me, for everybody,” Lopsang solemnly mused ten weeks after the expedition. “Just husband and wife sleep together, is good. But when [X] and [Y] sleep together, is bad luck for my team.… So I tell to Scott: Please, Scott, you are leader. Please tell to [X] not to sleep with boyfriend at Camp Two. Please. But Scott just laughs. The first day [X] and [Y] in tent, just after, Ngawang Topche is sick at Camp Two. So he is dead now.”

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Potato Salad posted:

Ever tried dungeon roleplay?

I cast Bigby's Grasping Hand

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/books/review/himalaya-a-human-history-ed-douglas.html

book review of Everest: A Human History, the which looks interesting

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Comrade Koba posted:

Yes, and she's confirmed it herself. She claimed she didn't want him to do it, but went along with it because she didn't want to be disrespectful.

It's a bit weird, because while Pittman was a wealthy celebrity socialite, she wasn't an unskilled climber. She'd done six of the seven top summits already and could probably have pulled Everest off without much trouble.

Having climbed six of the seven summits does not make you a skilled climber. All but Denali and Everest are just hikes of varying degrees of strenuousness, and even Denali doesn't have any technical climbing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leperflesh posted:

I'm thinking losing your thingy to instant frostbite, while you gasp for air with every sad attempt at thrusting your rapidly blackening wanger into a supposedly consenting (but so brain-damaged from altitude that nah not really) fuckpal is probably not worth it even if you got some bragging rights for doing it.

Plus you just know Hillary or someone in his party was probably the first anyway.

You're describing a college bar happy hour

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

gohuskies posted:

Having climbed six of the seven summits does not make you a skilled climber. All but Denali and Everest are just hikes of varying degrees of strenuousness, and even Denali doesn't have any technical climbing.

That's a very armchair-expert position to take

No one said she was on Ueli's level, but if you've summited 6 of the highest peaks in the world, chances are you know your way around mountaineering gear.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Depends on your definition of skilled, I guess? I wouldn't call someone who managed to summit Denali and Puncak Jaya a completely unskilled climber, at any rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Claim Mount Kosciuszko and you can walk up there with a corgi.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

Depends on your definition of skilled, I guess? I wouldn't call someone who managed to summit Denali and Puncak Jaya a completely unskilled climber, at any rate.

I think it might be useful to think of being able to climb at an extremely high altitude as a separate skill from, let's say, getting over a tricky section of rock or scaling a steep rockface.

It's all part of mountaineering on Everest, but one can be skilled enough to ascend the north face of the Eiger without being skilled at operating above 25,000 feet in elevation, at least theoretically.

No one would say that someone who can do the former is not a skilled mountaineer, and being able to do that would undoubtedly be a massive advantage on Everest, but there's a whole other skillset that comes into play when operating at extremely high altitudes.

My understanding from Krakauer was that Sandy Pittman did have some experience with actual mountaineering, just not at extreme altitude.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Platystemon posted:

Claim Mount Kosciuszko and you can walk up there drive up to the parking lot and waltz the last few hundred meters with a corgi.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ante posted:

No one said she was on Ueli's level, but if you've summited 6 of the highest peaks in the world, chances are you know your way around mountaineering gear.

I am certain that I personally am a more skilled mountaineer than 99% of the people who are guided up Aconcagua.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

gohuskies posted:

I am certain that I personally am a more skilled mountaineer than 99% of the people who are guided up Aconcagua.

So? lol
Congrats, bud

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Also checking in to say I've camped in a tent more than once AND had to tie my own bootlaces.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I looked at a tall hill once. I'm all set for Everest, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Poor haifisch, thought of tall hills and died.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Haifisch posted:

I looked at a tall hill once. I'm all set for Everest, right?

No you have to photoshop yourself into a picture of Lake Louise first

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I grew up at altitude, that makes me a sherpa, yeah?

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
Do you think anyone ever smoked weed on everest? Like they got high while they were really high???

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
I want to climb everest but instead of oxygen tanks I would bring big tanks full of weed vape juice to get high

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Can we get more book recs in here? Love people doing the thing. Love the sky madness

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

gohuskies posted:

Exactly. Climbing these peaks are not that impressive if each stage was at ground level. It would actually be trivially easy to climb Everest if it was, say, in Assassin's Creed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

GAYIDS posted:

I want to climb everest but instead of oxygen tanks I would bring big tanks full of weed vape juice to get high

What would be the best/worst drugs to take in the deathzone?

LSD?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Doc Fission posted:

Can we get more book recs in here? Love people doing the thing. Love the sky madness

High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed
https://www.amazon.com/High-Crimes-Fate-Everest-Greed/dp/1401309844

Annapurna
https://www.amazon.com/Annapurna-Maurice-Herzog/dp/1558215492

Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day
I really like this one because it mostly focused on Sherpas.
https://www.amazon.com/Buried-Sky-Extraordinary-Climbers-Deadliest/dp/0393345416

this might be my favorite though
Minus 148 Degrees: The First Winter Ascent of Mount McKinley
https://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees-Winter-McKinley/dp/0898866871

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Minus 148 Degrees

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

At that point does it matter?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

kelvin :q:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

F

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Outrail posted:

What would be the best/worst drugs to take in the deathzone?

LSD?

Meth would lead to record summits and corpsicles on the way down on account of summiting in a wifebeater while listening to trapt on your phone's speaker

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Meth would lead to record summits and corpsicles on the way down on account of summiting in a wifebeater while listening to trapt on your phone's speaker

Good enough for me. Plz donate to my kickstarter

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This thread's got me watching mountaineering youtubes. This one to me conveys the absolute terror of ice climbing and steep ski descents better than anything I've seen. These dudes seem a little out of their depth honestly. As someone who's done a tiny bit of off piste snowboarding some parts of this gave me stomach cramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkigzUFr3ys

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I mean, didn't the old mountaineers do a ton of amphetamines while climbing?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, didn't the old mountaineers do a ton of amphetamines while climbing?

Interviewer: How did you become a knight?
Hillary: So this one time I railed speed in nepal... funny story, so there's this mountain, biggest fuckin one in the world...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gohuskies posted:

ante posted:

Not sure whether this is just a typo, but I just wanted to point out that "six of the seven summits" (highest mountain on each contintent, of which most are "easy") is nothing like "six of the highest peaks in the world", which is a much more insane challenge.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I presume Antarctica would be one of the "tricky" ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Munin posted:

I presume Antarctica would be one of the "tricky" ones.

Not really, the actual mountain itself is a moderately challenging hike that anyone in decent shape can do, there's no technical challenge just "did you buy a coat warm enough to not freeze to death Y/N?". The hard part is having the money and connections to get to the rear end end of nowhere to begin with, if you can get to the foot of Mount Vinson getting to the top is no problem. Climbing it proves you're rich and connected, not that you're a good mountaineer.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2021