Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Nah it's free. I got there as a Slovienskan Russian with the culture spread into Finland to get longboats, and then the Eugen holy site to knock the cost to zero.

Now I'm curious to go test in debug mode and see if paradox let you get to negative costs so you get paid to sail.

e: Nope :(

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

Can you post a screenshot of whatever the part of the interface is not letting you declare war? Preferably with a mouseover of any exclamation point tooltips. And make sure the guy with claims is a courtier and not a guest.

That was decades ago now, but it was definitely a coutier. I went through the trouble of befriending them so i could invite them to my court just for their claims.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Usually when that sort of thing happens to me, it's because the game decided for whatever reason to either not pick the top liege or because it feels that a specific claim doesn't apply to the top liege for whatever reason. The latter seems more bug-like, where it sometimes decides that a given title should not be available as a war target for some reason it fails to explain: yes, these two counties both have borders to you but no, you can't just pick the one you want — you get one but not the other as an option. If that collides with a specific claim, it will obviously not show up as a valid casus belli.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Doing well. That Persian dynasty is the only one with bigger prestige than mine. Syria is ruled by one of my branch houses.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So I'm plugging along on a Zunbil game and I finally formed a kingdom, converted my children to the Tibetan unreformed human sacrifice religion, and then managed to survive the transfer of power, become a stable pagan kingdom, and even start expanding into an empire. I even have the perfect heir, a genius son with 4 points in Learning and +pious personality attributes. If I can establish an Empire before he inherits then he can be the one to conquer the world until we can recreate Zunism!

Except... I had a free priest slot open on my council, I figured I'd send my super learned and holy son to do the job since he could start building tons of piety early, but as soon as I promoted him to the job he disappeared from my heir list and seems to no longer count as an option to inherit the kingdom. I can't remove him from the job for 10 years, and I am really hoping that he can be my primary heir again...

That was the moment I quit to sleep last night, and I haven't had the time to play out 10 years today. I hope I'm not hosed :(

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

How are u posted:

So I'm plugging along on a Zunbil game and I finally formed a kingdom, converted my children to the Tibetan unreformed human sacrifice religion, and then managed to survive the transfer of power, become a stable pagan kingdom, and even start expanding into an empire. I even have the perfect heir, a genius son with 4 points in Learning and +pious personality attributes. If I can establish an Empire before he inherits then he can be the one to conquer the world until we can recreate Zunism!

Except... I had a free priest slot open on my council, I figured I'd send my super learned and holy son to do the job since he could start building tons of piety early, but as soon as I promoted him to the job he disappeared from my heir list and seems to no longer count as an option to inherit the kingdom. I can't remove him from the job for 10 years, and I am really hoping that he can be my primary heir again...

That was the moment I quit to sleep last night, and I haven't had the time to play out 10 years today. I hope I'm not hosed :(

Yeah, court chaplains are always disinherited. It's useful, if you know about it.
If you're paranoid about dying and have spare piety you can convert to a pagan faith and back, this should remove your heir from their council position.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What ruler in godherja has the most cobtent

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

scaterry posted:

Yeah, court chaplains are always disinherited. It's useful, if you know about it.
If you're paranoid about dying and have spare piety you can convert to a pagan faith and back, this should remove your heir from their council position.

So there's no way to pull that son back into being the primary heir?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

You might be able to give him a county to kick him out of the priest spot. Not sure about the religion you're playing, but in many of them a feudal/clan/tribal ruler can't be the court chaplain.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

How are u posted:

Haha, this is the exact same thing I accidentally did in my Zunbil game and forgot all about it. Including the quitting for the night afterwards.

At least now you know that in a few months time someone will do this all over again and then you will get to be the one laughing at the apparent rite of passage.

When it happened to me I just focussed on expanding my empire for a while with Holy Wars. You want to make sure you have your prison nice and stocked with juicy sacrifices for when you finally get a Learning ruler on the throne.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Haha, this is the exact same thing I accidentally did in my Zunbil game and forgot all about it. Including the quitting for the night afterwards.

At least now you know that in a few months time someone will do this all over again and then you will get to be the one laughing at the apparent rite of passage.

When it happened to me I just focussed on expanding my empire for a while with Holy Wars. You want to make sure you have your prison nice and stocked with juicy sacrifices for when you finally get a Learning ruler on the throne.

:lol: I love that this is apparently A Thing.

I imagine that yeah, I'll be able to probably get another great Learning heir within a couple generations. Especially now that Genius is getting good and bred into my Zunbil House. It is almost the year 1100 and I'm a little antsy about having enough time for that to happen, but I'm probably wrong and it's actually entirely doable.

I wish there was an achievement!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How are u posted:

Imprison him, which should boot him out of his job, then just Negotiate Release->Recruit to Court.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I don’t think any of the total conversion mods have much content at this point, but it does sound like Godherja and Game of Thrones should be decent pretty soon

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

Imprison him, which should boot him out of his job, then just Negotiate Release->Recruit to Court.

Do I need to actually Imprison him? Or, could I just wait out the 10 year timer on replacing and then fire him from the priest job?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

How are u posted:

Sorry, misleading phrasing. Court Chaplains cannot inherit as long as they are a court chaplain. Taking them off the council in any fashion (switching faiths, imprisonment, just waiting and changing their jobs) will re-inherit him.

Also, it might be possible to swap one of the councillors with him. If you try to assign the chancellor, do you have the option to swap your son?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

scaterry posted:

Sorry, misleading phrasing. Court Chaplains cannot inherit as long as they are a court chaplain. Taking them off the council in any fashion (switching faiths, imprisonment, just waiting and changing their jobs) will re-inherit him.

Also, it might be possible to swap one of the councillors with him. If you try to assign the chancellor, do you have the option to swap your son?

Excellent! Looks like I cannot swap him for another council job, so I'll just wait out the 10 years and do some conquering while I'm at it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah I just assumed you were on death's doorstep or something by the way the question was phrased. If you think you got 10 years then you can just wait it out.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

zonohedron posted:

I suggest telling them you have a new cask of fortified wine that you'd like him to try, if he'll accompany you to the cellar, or perhaps giving them free spiders.

megane posted:

Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest??

Y'all are dorks and I love it

I tried some of the ol' scheming but this priest has like 5 Learning and 14 Intrigue so I'll have to plot this one out carefully!
Maybe two casks of Amontillado will do the trick...

PittTheElder posted:

I think they patched that out last patch.

Just imprison them and eat the cost.

Ahh I was hoping that this was still in. Oh well, priestly prison it is!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I just can't catch up to this Persian dynasty

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Stairmaster posted:

The siblings in Chevalrie in the north, also the leader of the southern legion that you get recommended in the menu. Both are still pretty sparse though. The latter is the only one with an actual event chain IIRC.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, the Great Pox is ahistorical. Syphilis didn't exist in Europe before the Columbian exchange

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 7, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think the chaplain thing only works that way if you don't have lay clergy. My primary heir was my chaplain and he inherited as one would expect, when my main died.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, the Great Pox is ahistorical. Syphilis didn't exist in Europe before the Columbian exchange

It’s disputed enough for Paradox to think they can get away with it, I think. It probably also lets them wave away adding a bunch of similar venereal diseases.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

No Pants posted:

It’s disputed enough for Paradox to think they can get away with it, I think.

Yeah, even this study from October leans toward pre-Columbian syphilis.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Decided go ahead and try my migration game with a norse. Picked up the Yngling in Vestfold. Decided to go ahead and form the kingdom of Norway first. It's all going good, except I only have one son (the rest are daughters).

But what a son!

I'm expecting a meteor to fall on his head. Talk about winning the genetic lottery.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ok, Zunbil update.

The Zunbil Empire has been successfully created, it's all downhill from here! We are strong enough not to worry about the Yaqubids to the West. The Byzantine Empire is Coptic now, funny.

The patriarch who formed the Empire. He's probably got a few years left in him, but he's on the way out.

Here's the heir:

I managed to free him from priesthood and he's ready to inherit. Somehow picked up flagellant along the way, boo.

So, my question for folks is: how do you think it would be best to play things when the heir inherits? What's the best way to maximize picking up prisoners in war, for sacrifice? Should I be Raiding (as I realize I can do as an unreformed religion), should I be doing the special war dec the human sacrifice religions get to raid for captives? Or is pure territorial conquest the way forward?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

So, my question for folks is: how do you think it would be best to play things when the heir inherits? What's the best way to maximize picking up prisoners in war, for sacrifice? Should I be Raiding (as I realize I can do as an unreformed religion), should I be doing the special war dec the human sacrifice religions get to raid for captives? Or is pure territorial conquest the way forward?

The war for captives CB is the way to go. I do a bunch of them at once, and just carpet siege every province. I make sure to siege everything so I can get as many captives as possible. Anyone you capture (other than the war leader) you should execute as soon as you capture them so they don't die in your prison or get auto-released when the war is over, wasting piety. Never execute the war leader, since it will invalidate the war.

After the war you can then raid them without worrying about them constantly attacking your raiders like the AI does with the current patch.

:ssh: the easy way of getting the piety you need is to start with a religion that has sky burial, and wait for your parent to die. As the heir you can spam the decision and get 250 piety every time, as long as you don't click the popup

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
It may be suboptimal playing but that India is looking really juicy. It may not look that way in a generation or two, so while the sun is shining make hay. As is Zun's will.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Popoto posted:

I still want to do a game as Norses where I gently caress off to a nice remote region and cut off the old Scandinavian lands.

Decided to do the whole Norse in Africa thing today, have enough provinces converted now that as soon as the culture splits (should start in the next 5 years) I'll be the cultural head and can start working on my canoes. I'm starting to push north now as well to get some camels, since they'll help me deal with all the Bush Hunter MaA that are south of me.

VinylonUnderground posted:

It may be suboptimal playing but that India is looking really juicy. It may not look that way in a generation or two, so while the sun is shining make hay. As is Zun's will.

India is one of the richest areas on the map, and worth taking if you're ever in the neighborhood. It tends to have some of the highest development in the game, in the abovementioned game the 2nd and 3rd highest development provinces are in India, and it has the highest overall average of any region.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

as soon as the culture splits (should start in the next 5 years)

What does this mean?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Norse culture splits into Norwegian, Swedish and Danish in the latter 10th century. Characters and counties outside northern Europe stay Norse, which can help you reach the conditions for regional innovations. It's also very likely that you will be the only major Norse-cultured realm left at this point, making you the cultural head.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 8, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Midgetskydiver posted:

What does this mean?

Norse as a culture has special events which split it into Norwegian, Swedish and Danish. If you're a norse adventurer camped out on the Niger river or something, though, the events won't hit you and so you'll eventually become the largest Norse realm as the realms back home shift cultures.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

binge crotching posted:

:ssh: the easy way of getting the piety you need is to start with a religion that has sky burial, and wait for your parent to die. As the heir you can spam the decision and get 250 piety every time, as long as you don't click the popup

At that point just, look at a screenshot of someone else doing the challenge and save some clicks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

At that point just, look at a screenshot of someone else doing the challenge and save some clicks.

It does kind of ruin the game if you use it, which is why I just do the raid+sacrifice to get my piety.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If I have some succession law that requires High Crown Authority set, am I going to lose it if I lower crown authority? I want to get rid of partition but I want my vassals to be able to wage wars and whatnot. I hate to be back on "crown authority"

I also hate how innovations are locked behind arbitrary dates, apparently just to lock us out of the good succession laws for most of the game time. Its dumb and goes against the dynamic history nature of the game

Im loving the game and in mostly everything it is a great improvment over CK2, but there a few areas where it is a step back from it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Keeping the good succession laws locked away until 1200 adds a bit more tension to the game and helps break up kingdoms and empires a bit more before, although I agree that it's a bit of a crutch and there ought to be a better way to do it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I've got about 10 hours in the game (after having 20 or so in CK2 over a period of several years) and am doing the tutorial a second time after loving around with Murchad in his own, non-tutorial game, and a couple of smaller rulers outside of Europe. There's definitely moments of frustration, but part of it is having to change my thinking about how I play this game. It feels like a map painter but it's more like Sims by way of Football Manager. I need to stop thinking about "winning" so to speak as I do with just "playing" and seeing where the story goes. There's definitely some amazing moments in this game and I've seen a few of them, including raising a beautiful warhorse named Boreas who I literally bankrupted the kingdom trying to heal, only to get gang-banged by my Nordic neighbors. And when I'm not playing this game, I'm surfing this thread starting from the beginning, Youtube tutorials, and constantly thinking about it. It's weird but it's hooking me in, and I'm really glad to be on the ground floor. I find Paradox games hard to approach once they've been out a few years and have $350 of DLC that, if I don't buy right away, the I feel like I have an "incomplete" game. So this game, like Stellaris, I've bought when it was new and intend to keep up with all DLC and expansions and I can already feel it getting its hooks into me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I found that playing as a count was a good way to break the whole "map painting" bug, myself. It forces you to pick small, local goals that could require decades or generations to pan out. And you've got plenty of time, there's no hard "win" condition for the game besides what you yourself want to accomplish.

I started a game as the count of Bordeaux and recommend it. You've got two counties with higher-than-average-for-the-area development which gives you a cash advantage to pull off some shenanigans, your dynasty is already established in the Barcelona duchy which makes for some future expansion options, and the Occitan culture is concentrated enough that it's not too hard to become the culture head. Plus, Occitan culture gets you access to High Partition and Equal Gender laws right from the start.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moon Slayer posted:

I found that playing as a count was a good way to break the whole "map painting" bug, myself. It forces you to pick small, local goals that could require decades or generations to pan out. And you've got plenty of time, there's no hard "win" condition for the game besides what you yourself want to accomplish.

I started a game as the count of Bordeaux and recommend it. You've got two counties with higher-than-average-for-the-area development which gives you a cash advantage to pull off some shenanigans, your dynasty is already established in the Barcelona duchy which makes for some future expansion options, and the Occitan culture is concentrated enough that it's not too hard to become the culture head. Plus, Occitan culture gets you access to High Partition and Equal Gender laws right from the start.

Yea, I tend to like playing smaller characters because it's easier to manage and the prospect of one day ballooning out is appealing. Also, is it me or is gold hard to acquire? I know I can do various schemes and such and borrow from the Pope or whatever, but can I eventually get at least double digit gold numbers coming in per month based on my claims and holdings/tax and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I’ve found that going for the characters that have achievements is usually interesting most of the characters are a decent enough challenge but most aren’t too hard