Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The New Vegas DLC are all intentionally very different from the base game, at least in tone if not in gameplay.

On the one hand, it’s good because you feel like you’re getting something unique. On the other hand, I agree that they aren’t really necessary to feel like you got the full NV experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Utgardaloki posted:

I look forward to every DLC except OWB every time. Love 'em all.
I look forward to OWB every time :colbert:

(between the two of us I guess we cover the entire audience, right)

(I do in fact hate the other three)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

steinrokkan posted:

Both are awful, and worse than the worst FNV DLC by far.

Man must really enjoy emptying half his inventory at those Albino abominations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dead Money is a DLC I would have loved as a standalone spinoff in an engine more suited to it. I'm a big fan of immersive sims and with mechanics oriented towards that instead of the lacking mechanics of... everything Gamebryo, it'd be a great game. Still interesting from a narrative standpoint.
Honest Hearts is weak as a main story but a beautiful little mini-sandbox, and the Survivalist is both one of my favorite cases of environmental storytelling & one of my favorite "post-apocalypse stories". Weak overall but the highs offset the lows to a solid degree.
Old World Blues is dumb as hell writing wise, but in the same franchise as FO2 it's acceptable. Decent sandbox, decent stuff, a lot more freedom than the others. Probably best of the 4 but it's a low bar.
Lonesome Road, I played once and will likely never play again so I don't have to listen to Ulysses.

But that's just my thoughts.
The Pitt and Broken Steel are better than LR, but the rest of the FO3 DLC fall equal or lower.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, I feel the DLC are sort of connected but only if you choose to roleplay the courier as a dark and mysterious cowboy with an unresolved past.

Which makes Lonesome Road a hilarious recreation of mistaken identity for anything else.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I really need to get TTW working so I can play Fallout 3 again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I really need to get TTW working so I can play Fallout 3 again.

I'm doing it without TTW, but the more I deal with the fun decisions 3 made that NV changed I definitely sympathize.
Reached Rivet City finally, working through the survival guide, dumping poo poo in the outcasts' face when I've got it, I'll go do Anchorage soon. Not even touched the main quest beyond "oops I accidentally talked to Li and advanced things".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The only thing I remember about Broken Steel is that I got the glitch where I got to fight Enclave at level 1 across the wasteland and Three Dog spoiling the plot of the base game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I discovered I could finally have an enjoyable Broken Steel experience after I downloaded mods to delete all the enemies' unblockable damage bonuses and cut their max HP values in half.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's the one bit of Point Lookout I'm not looking forward to. Didn't play it the first time around.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

oh jay posted:

The only thing I remember about Broken Steel is that I got the glitch where I got to fight Enclave at level 1 across the wasteland and Three Dog spoiling the plot of the base game.

'Oh hey a new Ghou-OH GOD MY HEALTH WHY WON'T IT DIE AAAaaa'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dead Money loses a lot of tension when you realize the Ghost People almost always instantly die to an uppercut.

Honestly there's no real reason to have any guns besides the holorifle in the Sierra Madre.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I mean the explosive collar mechanic until you mod it out has some.

Also, lets not forget with F3's Mothership Zeta more or less Bethesda deciding the whole cynical critique of the Cold War and military industrial complex/humanities failings was too boring of a back story and just pressed the 'Aliens did it' button.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Old World Blues isn't my sort of humour at first, but it gets much better when it sheds the "wacky science lol!" thing and you realise just how inhumane and evil the Think Tank is. There's a neat bit of optional foreshadowing for the Think Tank when you first meet House too.

Moribus is a great character (not just because he's voiced by Cam Clarke), but the tragedy that he fried his own brain as well the other Think Tanks because he saw how amoral they were, regretted his actions and decided that they couldn't be unleashed on the wasteland. When it goes dark humour/horror is when its better. The enemies are still too bullet spongy though.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Proton Axe is the best weapon for OWB.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, lets not forget with F3's Mothership Zeta more or less Bethesda deciding the whole cynical critique of the Cold War and military industrial complex/humanities failings was too boring of a back story and just pressed the 'Aliens did it' button.

This still isn't true, no matter how many times people say it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Byzantine posted:

But Bethesda bad. Updoots pls.
There's one maybe hint at it and it's not even voiced, it's a subtitle track to missing audio, which would be a hell of an oversight on such a major change. Zero evidence they even did anything, just one of the two dozen interrogations hints at it.

e: and for that matter are they even really "interrogations"? for the majority of them they aren't exactly asking questions or compelling responses, they just have them... keep talking

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 7, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/bambooney/status/1347231046652342273?s=20

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Look man, I am just going with my memory of a recording I found said DLC of what I described. If I got this wrong feel free to correct me but I am pretty certain it is implied in said recording aliens were just manipulating events from afar. If it was cut content gently caress the modders for putting it back in.

No need to act like jerks about it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SeanBeansShako posted:

Look man, I am just going with my memory of a recording I found said DLC of what I described. If I got this wrong feel free to correct me but I am pretty certain it is implied in said recording aliens were just manipulating events from afar. If it was cut content gently caress the modders for putting it back in.

No need to act like jerks about it.

Recording #17 that has that text is in the game, but the audio track was never recorded and never put in. It's a blank tape with alien screeching occasionally. The only place where any of the text comes in is if you have "General Subtitles" enabled to get subtitles out of holotapes. The exact text is:

quote:

Our defenses consist of 3 battalions of light infantry, 34 pieces of field artillery, 108 armored vehicles and 42 aerial vehicles. (Alien Babble) We have 38 ICBM's always on alert and ready to fire when the word is passed down from the White House. (Alien Babble) The codes to activate the launch sequences are... are... uhhngh.... no... I can't let you... uggh... get out of my mind! (Alien Babble) Agggh! The c-codes... are... ugh.... no... I can't betray... AGH! My head! I can't... won't... AGGGGH! Agggh...

That's the whole tape and the only reference to the Great War itself ever made. Considering the complete lack of audio to accompany the subtitles in a normally audio only format, it's even more questionable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Man, I have a ton of hours in Fallout New Vegas now, and it keeps hitting me when I'm thinking about it: "Oh yeah, that's why I like this series."

I've tried so hard to get into Fallout 4, but the loot and storyline just don't feel right to me. Fallout 76 was delightful until I was forced to stop doing quests and do the loot system to make my own ammo (so dumb). I really don't like what Fallout has become, and its ironic that New Vegas reminds me of what it is since I just played through it a single time and moved on with my life in 2010. This is, with a deeper exploration of the setting and such, the best RPG I've played in years and years. Goddamn.

Edit: I guess I used to lookdown on New Vegas fans, but now I kinda see that they have a point

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 7, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's no lie my favourite game of all time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Now we just have to cross that one with this one to really peak.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dr Pepper posted:

How do you guys nort use Vats Bethesda's engine is so junky its nigh impossible to shoot anything manually

turbo helps, so does steady

tbh I'm just used to it. sniping is fine in new vegas, and even things like shotguns and revolvers are okay. I don't particularly like using the automatic weapons

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The shooting is functional in Vegas but it does need a couple of mods to come into its own. The weapon sway mod by xilandro coupled with the recoil mod, animation replacers and the Just Mods reticle changes makes it feel a lot smoother.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shame nobody threw lit sticks of dynamite at this guy while playing Johnny Guitar

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The stuff I enjoyed most about vanilla New Vegas (exploration, multiple satisfying steps and solutions for quests, consequences for your choices, subjective moral dilemmas, and the freedom to go almost anywhere and kill almost anything at any time) is de-emphasized or not available in the DLC. I'm honestly confused why they're built so differently from vanilla (besides them having to be smaller and standalone by necessity). Honestly, I'd rather that they pooled their time to have 1-2 bigger, meatier expansions that fall more into line with vanilla New Vegas than 4 small ones with rigid progression and few choices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The DLCs feel more like experiments with different types of play and different uses for the game engine rather than "just more New Vegas." There's already a boatload of content in the base game to satisfy that itch.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man must really enjoy emptying half his inventory at those Albino abominations.

I don't mind difficulty in the form of bigger, tougher enemies. I hate difficulty like Lonesome Road and Dead Money where enemies can stunlock you forever, or there are tons of inescapable certain death traps all over the place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really like difficulty at all in New Vegas. If there is going to be difficulty I'd rather it come in the form of getting instakilled and reloading.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

I don't mind difficulty in the form of bigger, tougher enemies. I hate difficulty like Lonesome Road and Dead Money where enemies can stunlock you forever, or there are tons of inescapable certain death traps all over the place.

I would rather be killed mercifully quickly than spend my whole life fighting one of Bethesda's obscene "radscorpion but we multiplied its HP by 1000" crimes against game design,

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going through Lonesome Road to wrap up the achievements and god almighty I somehow forgot how tedious talking to Ulysses is.

Use a proper name for something, rear end in a top hat, it probably takes less energy than coming up with some weird euphemism.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm going through Lonesome Road to wrap up the achievements and god almighty I somehow forgot how tedious talking to Ulysses is.

Use a proper name for something, rear end in a top hat, it probably takes less energy than coming up with some weird euphemism.

'Welcome to Dash Burger, how would you like us to Burger your day?'
'I would like the slowly charred decadent hide of a fatten elder calf, ensconed in the buns baked by the hands of the ignorant and coated with the seeds from which are false oh and do not add the sauce.'
'Well okay so one bur-'
'For the sauce is not what it seems, taken from the dead and disguised as something new...also I don't like it.'

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No Wave posted:

I don't really like difficulty at all in New Vegas. If there is going to be difficulty I'd rather it come in the form of getting instakilled and reloading.

I'm the exact opposite. I used to do tool-assisted speedrunning with savestates, so now I hate the concept of ever reloading a save in a game I'm playing for fun.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The bear and the bull, the bear, the bull, the bear and the bulllllll Courier

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Meridian posted:

The bear and the bull, the bear, the bull, the bear and the bulllllll Courier

Ulysses, patron saint of Wall Street Bets

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mizuti posted:

The stuff I enjoyed most about vanilla New Vegas (exploration, multiple satisfying steps and solutions for quests, consequences for your choices, subjective moral dilemmas, and the freedom to go almost anywhere and kill almost anything at any time) is de-emphasized or not available in the DLC. I'm honestly confused why they're built so differently from vanilla (besides them having to be smaller and standalone by necessity). Honestly, I'd rather that they pooled their time to have 1-2 bigger, meatier expansions that fall more into line with vanilla New Vegas than 4 small ones with rigid progression and few choices.

Old World Blues actively encourages you to explore the whole Big Empty, and you can do it in mostly any order. Honest Hearts has similar opportunities for exploration. I do think that there's a lack of people that you can talk and discuss with or have an effect over their lives throughout all the DLCs.

Dead Money seems like a pretty conscious decision to subvert everything about the base game. Exploration is risky and arduous, characters you bond with more over incidental dialogue as they follow you around instead of dialogue trees (and there's only the 5 characters in the ruins), enemies operate on different systems that you have to change your mindset and approach for, and the finale desperately wants to teach you not to do the thing that every player in every RPG does every minute.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

JawKnee posted:

turbo helps, so does steady

You know what's up. I always gear up to go Cazador hunting and help out Jack & Diane to learn how to make it. Just need enough of the good poo poo to last until Implant GRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dead Money seems like a pretty conscious decision to subvert everything about the base game. Exploration is risky and arduous, characters you bond with more over incidental dialogue as they follow you around instead of dialogue trees (and there's only the 5 characters in the ruins), enemies operate on different systems that you have to change your mindset and approach for, and the finale desperately wants to teach you not to do the thing that every player in every RPG does every minute.

it's so good