Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've had Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat stuck in my head ever since I watched the Sideways Cats video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kibayasu posted:

It’s weird to hear Descent described at a niche FPS offshoot because it was my jam back then and I was all over Overload. I guess it kind of was since the Descents are almost the only examples of Descents.

I know there was Radix, which was basically the Epic version of Descent.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

would AquaNox count as a Descent-like, being a 6-degree FPS but underwater instead of in space

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've had Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat stuck in my head ever since I watched the Sideways Cats video.

You're not alone in this. I've been listening to the 1998 rendition of Mr. Mistoffelees on loop for days.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meowwww

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is that the one about the cat from the railway train?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I never realized that Freespace was an offshoot of Descent. Also I'm pretty sure that the ship from that first Descent game is just a slightly altered R-41 Starchaser from Tie Fighter.

I haven't watched yet but as a Freespace fiend I believe Descent was only added to the title for marketing reasons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

You're not alone in this. I've been listening to the 1998 rendition of Mr. Mistoffelees on loop for days.

i heard misstoffelees exactly once when i was like 17 or 18 and still knew the chorus word for word when i finally looked up the song a decade later

those exuberant childish rhymes lodge in your brain like a fishhook

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So they can throw Baked Alaska out of a convenience store but not the Capitol Building.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Alaois posted:

would AquaNox count as a Descent-like, being a 6-degree FPS but underwater instead of in space

Schleichfahrt and Aquanox primarily count as loving AWESOME.

I think I'd want a 3d maze like map for a Descent-like though. Aquanox is more a "what if space game, but submarines".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/1347043876452892674

Man...The old days where Channel Awesome/tGwtG was at the height of its popularity feels like a life time ago...
Man I feel so old; and depressed knowing why Spoony was prepared knowing his brother.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I haven't watched yet but as a Freespace fiend I believe Descent was only added to the title for marketing reasons.

I haven't watched yet either but IIRC it was called that because of an existing program called Freespace that was on the market at the same time as well as marketing. It was called Descent: Freespace in the US and Conflict: Freespace in places where Descent did not sell well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OptimusShr posted:

I haven't watched yet either but IIRC it was called that because of an existing program called Freespace that was on the market at the same time as well as marketing. It was called Descent: Freespace in the US and Conflict: Freespace in places where Descent did not sell well.

You're correct.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Despite the horrible/hilarious dub and other various issues, I loved Aquanox and its sequel. Just very atmospheric and poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Aquanox is like Gothic. It's much, much better in German. The Aquanox intro video sounds like a Nature documentary in English, but in German you can hear the utter disdain in the protagonist's voice when he describes the setting. He's just so sick of this poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget if I mentioned it before but if you're not checking out ProZD and friends draw pokemon from memory you should, it's great fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQiPb3XT6I&hd=1

the Peter Griffin Drowzee slayed me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to whomever posted the link to Jaiden's animated Nuzlocke run. That was a delight. When Tertwig (or whichever) kills the Gabite which would have been a major help to the run it was just... priceless.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks to whomever posted the link to Jaiden's animated Nuzlocke run. That was a delight. When Tertwig (or whichever) kills the Gabite which would have been a major help to the run it was just... priceless.
sure thing! jaiden is one of the more humble folks who have made it huge on youtube, and she's also pretty drat funny when she wants to be. She's also joined alpharad + crew in a fair number of their Among Us streams and is pretty good at it.

I highly recommend her and alpharad's charity pokemon randomizer "race" stream, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He started this before the Twitch news came down haha

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1347386979361714177?s=20

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

He started this before the Twitch news came down haha

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1347386979361714177?s=20
what news?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gootecks, the man in those pictures and the face of the "PogChamp" emote on twitch, made a gross tweet encouraging the loving insurrection that happened yesterday, so Twitch is removing the emote.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gootecks actually hates PogChamp so getting rid of it is only rewarding him for his bad behavior. bring it back

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gootecks got really into conspiracy bullshit and pseudo-science a while ago. It kinda sucks because one of the reasons I played Rose in SF4 was because of him and Excellent Adventures.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arist posted:

Gootecks, the man in those pictures and the face of the "PogChamp" emote on twitch, made a gross tweet encouraging the loving insurrection that happened yesterday, so Twitch is removing the emote.
lol what a failure of a person, gently caress'im

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dias posted:

Gootecks got really into conspiracy bullshit and pseudo-science a while ago. It kinda sucks because one of the reasons I played Rose in SF4 was because of him and Excellent Adventures.

Yeah a few months back I think he posted insane COVID poo poo on reddit and got dogpiled by fighting game posters who I'm led to believe are generally some of the shittiest gamers of them all so that's how bad it was. Then yesterday as others said he was tweeting in support of the rioters storming the Capitol. Dude totally lost it.

Him hating PogChamp was so stupid most gamers would kill for that type of exposure. It's not like Trihard where it's used for nefarious reasons.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

In december Gootecks put up his first video in like a year. It's titled "HOW TO SAVE MELEE PART 2" and is 30 minutes on bitcoin and poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah a few months back I think he posted insane COVID poo poo on reddit and got dogpiled by fighting game posters who I'm led to believe are generally some of the shittiest gamers of them all so that's how bad it was. Then yesterday as others said he was tweeting in support of the rioters storming the Capitol. Dude totally lost it.

Him hating PogChamp was so stupid most gamers would kill for that type of exposure. It's not like Trihard where it's used for nefarious reasons.

He was always kinda into that conspiracy poo poo and the latest grift but dude took a sharp turn towards alt-rightville around 2018 or so AFAIK. Maybe because it's the latest grift, but there's some sincerity to his bullshit too.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I can't wait for FrankerZ dog's milkshake ducking.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gonna be hard considering he’s dead!

Rip...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dias posted:

gently caress, same

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

milkshake duckface

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thats a big lol

Also the reason he hates PogChamp IIRC is that he signed away his likeness for that for some stupidly low single-time payout and its a constant reminder of him failing to capitalize on it properly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh so he's stupid in every way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

sure thing! jaiden is one of the more humble folks who have made it huge on youtube, and she's also pretty drat funny when she wants to be. She's also joined alpharad + crew in a fair number of their Among Us streams and is pretty good at it.

I highly recommend her and alpharad's charity pokemon randomizer "race" stream, too.

I even watched a reaction video from somebody called Pokemon Challenges who claims to be the world's best Nuzlocke player which, sure, why not which helped me realize how smart Jaiden plays her Nuzlocke runs. (Also minor props to the guy who despite having an entire channel about Nuzlocke runs is also very "eh, it's a game with self-imposed rules, do what you want" which did not feel typical.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMBhcOca1g
Thoughtslime on the Boogaloos

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKugerH3Ls
Kurtis Conner's new video about a channel that gives out extremely toxic dating advice.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-c8o_Cphn8

the shift in appearance from his channel to his vlog literally made me gasp. guy isn't well at all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-c8o_Cphn8

the shift in appearance from his channel to his vlog literally made me gasp. guy isn't well at all.

https://streamable.com/bfkenv

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Linkara19/status/1347670117224742912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Only very marginally related but I wish people cleaned their glasses before recording a video. :(