Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://i.imgur.com/BhE5UYK.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WAP indeed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:five:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

:golfclap:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > [SPAM] BRING A BUCKET AND A MOP FOR THIS WET ACCESS POINT

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

So does it still work?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ConfusedUs posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > [SPAM] BRING A BUCKET AND A MOP FOR THIS WET ACCESS POINT

:drat:

Thank you both for that genuine laugh out loud moment. I needed that today.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

"We got him" had a nice run but this is pretty good.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Clearly this is where that dripping cat5 cable was coming from.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ConfusedUs posted:

A spec bucket?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A spec bucket?

I was gonna make that joke but it probably shouldn't go in the thread title TBH.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A spec bucket?

:gonk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ConfusedUs posted:

I am still delighted by how the response to that song was so cleanly divided between feigned horror and people just having fun with other things that could have the acronym WAP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get yourself a WAP

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

But make sure your WAP has WPA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

congrats thread on your new title

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think that's all the SH/SC threads I read now having a new title. Fitting for 2021, I think. :golfclap:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Internet Explorer posted:

:tipshat:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can't believe how fast that was.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My second title in a row! Almost third: someone beat me to suggesting the "sex chat" title by a few minutes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

can't believe how fast that was.

someone reported it, thank you for your service o7

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I love it

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

someone reported it, thank you for your service o7

Some threads have to compete with the more poo poo pisses you off thread for # of reports. Honestly I've taken your "Report posts you want moderators to see because they're awesome, since it gets disheartening only seeing the shitposts in the reporting queue" advice to heart.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

DelphiAegis posted:

Report posts you want moderators to see because they're awesome, since it gets disheartening only seeing the shitposts in the reporting queue

this advice is why i report all my posts

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. I'm not saying don't report stuff. Definitely report stuff. But now when I get a PM or there's a report when I F5, my blood pressure raises. But just like IT, it's better to have a ticket than to not!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

My second title in a row! Almost third: someone beat me to suggesting the "sex chat" title by a few minutes.

I still love that I had a story worthy of being turned into a thread title.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
User opened a ticket because he can't access 'the alarm'.

Apparently, 'the alarm' is a wifi security camera in his home he can no longer access on his phone)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sixth and maimed posted:

User opened a ticket because he can't access 'the alarm'.

Apparently, 'the alarm' is a wifi security camera in his home he can no longer access on his phone)

Was it because he is on the VPN?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Man I hate putting yourself out there in a meeting only to get totally and utterly shot down.

Starting at a new job, been here about a month now. Get brought into a meeting about AWS logging since Im one of the only staff members to have some very limited AWS experience.

We start discussing CloudTrail and I mention that I think it only logs API calls and that this concerns me from a security perspective because its possible people could do malicious things through a hacked web console session and we'd be blind to it.

Only to get told in no uncertain terms that I am wrong.

It happens, I know others on my team didnt know either, they were just going along with what I had said. Still doesnt feel good though.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Man I hate putting yourself out there in a meeting only to get totally and utterly shot down.

Starting at a new job, been here about a month now. Get brought into a meeting about AWS logging since Im one of the only staff members to have some very limited AWS experience.

We start discussing CloudTrail and I mention that I think it only logs API calls and that this concerns me from a security perspective because its possible people could do malicious things through a hacked web console session and we'd be blind to it.

Only to get told in no uncertain terms that I am wrong.

It happens, I know others on my team didnt know either, they were just going along with what I had said. Still doesnt feel good though.

I had this happen twice in my first months at a new job during team meetings, after the second time I was updating my resume within minutes. I don't mind being wrong, but they had no arguments beyond me being wrong and I just lost all respect because of their tone.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
:yotj: kinda?

I've been OK in my current position and wasn't looking, and my five-year plan to stick it out as long as it wasn't truly awful is 1/5th complete. Pay's good, work-life balance is good, other stuff is other stuff.

I got a Linkedin connection request from a major medical organization. A nonprofit, which was what I was targeting as a next move at the end of the plan. They asked if I was on the market, I said I wasn't really looking but I'd hear things out. The role is up my alley, we had a video interview that I thought was just a casual first round. They just extended an offer.

I need to hash out what the onsite availability is because there's no way I'm doing a commute to 3rd Ave from where I am in NJ on any regular basis. Maybe 3 or 4 times a month but I am not going into a hospital, on mass transit, into/out of NYC during COVID even if the office is right above Penn Station.

Not even gonna start thinking pluses or minuses until they clarify the commute and onsite. 3rd Ave is a bitch. Train station -> transfer NJ Transit platforms -> Transfer onto NYC subway is a schlep that I wouldn't want to do even for a nonprofit.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

:yotj: kinda?

I've been OK in my current position and wasn't looking, and my five-year plan to stick it out as long as it wasn't truly awful is 1/5th complete. Pay's good, work-life balance is good, other stuff is other stuff.

I got a Linkedin connection request from a major medical organization. A nonprofit, which was what I was targeting as a next move at the end of the plan. They asked if I was on the market, I said I wasn't really looking but I'd hear things out. The role is up my alley, we had a video interview that I thought was just a casual first round. They just extended an offer.

I need to hash out what the onsite availability is because there's no way I'm doing a commute to 3rd Ave from where I am in NJ on any regular basis. Maybe 3 or 4 times a month but I am not going into a hospital, on mass transit, into/out of NYC during COVID even if the office is right above Penn Station.

Not even gonna start thinking pluses or minuses until they clarify the commute and onsite. 3rd Ave is a bitch. Train station -> transfer NJ Transit platforms -> Transfer onto NYC subway is a schlep that I wouldn't want to do even for a nonprofit.

Congrats, its nice to be able to negotiate from a position of power.

In :yotj: news, I have a bunch of interviews lined up in 4 countries this week and the next. Europe used to be 10 years behind on the US when looking at WFH/remote jobs, but so far no one here has had any issues with me onboarding remotely and only moving countries after Covid get's under control.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I had this happen twice in my first months at a new job during team meetings, after the second time I was updating my resume within minutes. I don't mind being wrong, but they had no arguments beyond me being wrong and I just lost all respect because of their tone.

My team at least was understanding. It was the outside team that shot me down. The guy was nice enough later to link to some documentation I missed, which was a nice gesture.

It just sucks that you get everyone thinking we have some potentially big issue only to be flat out wrong.

Oh well, learn and move on I guess. The saving grace is that our AWS security program is really just getting off the ground so I can make mistakes now I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Congrats, its nice to be able to negotiate from a position of power.

In :yotj: news, I have a bunch of interviews lined up in 4 countries this week and the next. Europe used to be 10 years behind on the US when looking at WFH/remote jobs, but so far no one here has had any issues with me onboarding remotely and only moving countries after Covid get's under control.

Europe is a lot more dense so internet access is less lovely than average US which means it’s easier to set up a home office. Also a lot of organizational inertia got smashed away to the point that several paper-only firms I know have moved to online only. This is the best time if you want remote jobs in the EU, after the emergency I am skeptical all firms will keep 100% remote positions.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlowBloke posted:

Europe is a lot more dense so internet access is less lovely than average US which means it’s easier to set up a home office. Also a lot of organizational inertia got smashed away to the point that several paper-only firms I know have moved to online only. This is the best time if you want remote jobs in the EU, after the emergency I am skeptical all firms will keep 100% remote positions.

What I meant was, for example I go on Linkedin and I look at remote jobs 90% will be the US with the only requirement being in the US but nothing beyond that. Europe still had a very rigid asses in seats mentality up till recently, like with my old employer here we had a don't ask don't tell policy for WFH because head office didn't like the concept. They now leased out half the office space and everyone is mandatory WFH until further notice.
One e-commerce company I'm interviewing with now leaves it up to me whether I move to where they are based or stay where I am now, it's all good to them.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My team at least was understanding. It was the outside team that shot me down. The guy was nice enough later to link to some documentation I missed, which was a nice gesture.

It just sucks that you get everyone thinking we have some potentially big issue only to be flat out wrong.

Oh well, learn and move on I guess. The saving grace is that our AWS security program is really just getting off the ground so I can make mistakes now I guess.

This happens to me, like, every single day. I've learned to qualify all my thoughts/opinions and say things that make it clear I will solicit any viewpoint that runs counter to my own. And if I'm wrong, I just learned something!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How you handle accepting being told you're wrong is really going to make way more of an impression on most people than being wrong one time.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Maybe I should learn to flip out and get pissy like all the boomers I am forced to work with when I'm wrong about something.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Maybe I should learn to flip out and get pissy like all the boomers I am forced to work with when I'm wrong about something.

Haha that was not the approach I took.

After I was told how wrong I was, I said "Thanks for the info and clearing this up as a concern, this will help us move forward with our work". And left it at that. Im sure no one else gave it a second thought.

I'm just in a new job, in a new role in my IT career, and with starting full time remote really forcing myself to make an impact and be good at my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Haha that was not the approach I took.

After I was told how wrong I was, I said "Thanks for the info and clearing this up as a concern, this will help us move forward with our work". And left it at that. Im sure no one else gave it a second thought.

I'm just in a new job, in a new role in my IT career, and with starting full time remote really forcing myself to make an impact and be good at my job.
From consultancy experience: "I have some concerns about this but I would like to check the documentation to see if I can find confirmation or a workaround before we commit either way". Now you sound methodical and clever!