Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

As Nero Danced posted:

What about Sulla? I'll be honest my focus in history was mostly the 19th-20th centuries so I'm rusty.

Sulla was the first to bring his Army to Rome to force his will, and after he was there he purged everyone who he considered an enemy. But the army didn't sack the city in the sense of looting and destruction. They did occupy it though.

Caesar was similar, he crossed the Rubicon with the 10th Legion and marched on Rome, but the Senate could not raise an army in time so they fled before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

I think you're looking for the Visigoths

I think you're right I'm mixing up eras.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

I think you're looking for the Visigoths

Caesar did reward his legions by letting them loot some Roman cities in the east, but not immediately after crossign the Rubicon and never the Eternal City itself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/meidastouch/status/1347218863675514883?s=21

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hobbesmaster posted:

If they needed personal bodyguards sure. But he failed at the management of a police force and security too.

(Though given its Canada the entire security force for their parliament is probably the sgt at arms, 2 deputies and a moose)

Hey, the moose is pretty loving tough

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hexyflexy posted:

Can someone post what he says because there's no loving way I'm signing up for an account on that thing.

parlertakes on twitter has been doing a good job of tracking notable figures and comparing their tweets to whatever you call parler messages and then sprinkling in some of the choice crazy.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

https://twitter.com/grantstern/status/1347231504611614724

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Why do you say that? Direct cash transfers are very popular and it would be a big boost to Democrat ambitions.

I could flippantly say that Democrats seem allergic to doing anything to boost their cause.

More seriously, Biden is a deficit hawk who apparently talked the Congress down from $1200 to $600 in this last go round and only came out in favor of $2000 at the last minute to help with the election in Georgia. Now that that election is over and the voters have lost their leverage I think it's a dead letter. The invasion of the capital yesterday is going to push the stimulus off the front page and I don't think anyone will bring it back up.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

brains posted:

not trying to be a dick, but it's on everyone's minds because it's so loving obvious:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/capitol-police-werent-prepared-for-rioters-authorities-say-11609978798

hmmm, what could explain the different in response to the dirty liberal antifa BLM protesters and the freedom-lovin' patriots on the mall yesterday :thunk:

Honestly previous to that? Just racism and incompetence. Same as other places across the country that have had dual reactions to the different protestors.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

RFC2324 posted:

Hey, the moose is pretty loving tough

moose are the scariest and coolest things to encounter in the wilderness because they are 99% cool but that 1% will end you if they want to and you have no say in the matter.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\/\ bison are like this. Just holy poo poo when you see them up close.

PeterCat posted:

I could flippantly say that Democrats seem allergic to doing anything to boost their cause.

More seriously, Biden is a deficit hawk who apparently talked the Congress down from $1200 to $600 in this last go round and only came out in favor of $2000 at the last minute to help with the election in Georgia. Now that that election is over and the voters have lost their leverage I think it's a dead letter. The invasion of the capital yesterday is going to push the stimulus off the front page and I don't think anyone will bring it back up.

This seems accurate. Biden is hopelessly out of date, and probably thinks 600 is 3 months rent or something

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

RFC2324 posted:

/\/\/\/\ bison are like this. Just holy poo poo when you see them up close.

They are stunning up close, I almost ran into a herd of them at sunset at Liard Hot Springs in B.C. on the Alcan Highway. Just 30 bisons grazing and play fighting in the roadway. Hitting one would've totalled my Highlander at the time, was lucky I saw them in time. I can't imagine being on foot near a bison...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel Sandman will at least bring it up. I got a mailer to the tune of "Good work on Georgia, now lets get 2000$ and minimum wage increases so that we don't end up in this political situation again". For whatever that's worth.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PeterCat posted:

The last time you or whoever else brought this stupid lie up, it was pointed out that Biden specifically told the Dems to take the 600 dollar deal instead of walking away all together because the GOP held Senate wasn't budging from 600 dollars and would not give them the 1200 or more Congressional Dems wanted to give out to begin with. He made it clear that as soon as he was sworn in, he would ensure that more money was sent out but in the meantime to get whatever money they could get out now rather than nothing and to look at the 600 dollars as a downpayment, not an end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-stimulus-bill.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stackofflapjacks posted:

They are stunning up close, I almost ran into a herd of them at sunset at Liard Hot Springs in B.C. on the Alcan Highway. Just 30 bisons grazing and play fighting in the roadway. Hitting one would've totalled my Highlander at the time, was lucky I saw them in time. I can't imagine being on foot near a bison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSmaxKQrcvQ

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some major paramilitary leaders gonna have a few years to write a memoir.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Handsome Ralph posted:

The last time you or whoever else brought this stupid lie up, it was pointed out that Biden specifically told the Dems to take the 600 dollar deal instead of walking away all together because the GOP held Senate wasn't budging from 600 dollars and would not give them the 1200 or more Congressional Dems wanted to give out to begin with. He made it clear that as soon as he was sworn in, he would ensure that more money was sent out but in the meantime to get whatever money they could get out now rather than nothing and to look at the 600 dollars as a downpayment, not an end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-stimulus-bill.html

I will believe it when my Unemployment gets the plus up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can’t wait to watch a bunch of shirtless her pants is white trash militia people get dragged out of their trailer parks In cuffs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

moose are the scariest and coolest things to encounter in the wilderness because they are 99% cool but that 1% will end you if they want to and you have no say in the matter.

"What's that Security Moose gonna do, gore me?" CHUD insurrectionist right before being gored

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

While moose aren't as big as elephants they sure as poo poo are as tall as them.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Joe Biden is not an honest man. This is like when he claimed he would end the Trump's immigration policies on day one, and now it's been pushed back to an in determinant time in the future.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

PeterCat posted:

Biden's argument was that it was better for the Dems to take a smaller deal that could pass now, rather than risk no deal if the Dems lost the GA races (Because McConnell would have felt no pressure to pass any stimulus otherwise). There's absolutely no reason to doubt that he'd sign a bill for $2000 checks if it came across his desk.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

KirbyKhan posted:

I will believe it when my Unemployment gets the plus up.

Fair enough, but the "yeah he told them to take 600 dollars and wants only to do that" lie that gets trotted out is frankly bullshit. If you want to call Biden a deficit hawk, be my guest but you don't need to create stupid fan fiction to do so.

He said he was for 2K checks and would get them out if the Dems took the senate, and if he doesn't deliver the goods once he's in office, I'll gladly yell at him alongside the rest of you and then some.

PeterCat posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Biden's argument was that it was better for the Dems to take a smaller deal that could pass now, rather than risk no deal if the Dems lost the GA races (Because McConnell would have felt no pressure to pass any stimulus otherwise). There's absolutely no reason to doubt that he'd sign a bill for $2000 checks if it came across his desk.

Tell you what, if I get $2000 from Joe Biden, I'll never post in this thread again.

That's a win win for everyone, right?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

stackofflapjacks posted:

There is a small herd in Arsenal refuge in Denver, and they just told us that the only penalty for getting out of the car was what the bison would do, and that we were warned.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PeterCat posted:

Tell you what, if I get $2000 from Joe Biden, I'll never post in this thread again.

Loophole, it might be February by then.

That said I'm leaning towards agreeing with you, here's hoping were wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
also: can confirm bison are large

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PeterCat posted:

For whatever remains of the month, yes.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Some time in prison to finish "Mein Schwampdrein" and then when they get out? Profit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

also: can confirm bison are large

For the love of God, make sure to get a double-hung hit instead of taking the shot from there, those fuckers will run for miles upon miles with mild blood loss

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.uscp.gov/the-department/executive-team posted:

Chief Sund is a recognized expert in critical incident management and active shooter preparedness and response. His experience involves being the on-scene incident commander on the 2009 shooting at the National Holocaust Museum, the 2012 shooting at the Family Research Council, and the 2013 active shooter incident at the Washington Navy Yard.

Poor performance all I'm saying

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/brynstole/status/1347243333396041729?s=21

Also Elaine Chao resigned.

https://twitter.com/evansiegfried/status/1347250007821459456?s=21

I honestly have no clue how this effects things. Time to go looking around the National Constitution Center‘s Constitution app.... which is really really really loving good you should all download.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 7, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://mobile.twitter.com/thenation/status/1347232193341513736

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

"What's that Security Moose gonna do, gore me?" CHUD insurrectionist right before being gored

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1347232193341513736?s=19

And Mitch's wife, SecTranspo, ain't sticking around. Unfortunately, that's likely one less vote for a 25th action (though drumbeat rising in the House):

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1347249978201280513?s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I can't find it now, but saw a few references that stated DOD was hesitant to deploy troops due to fear of armed protesters. Could you imagine how bad these images would be if the NG opened fire on these people? How would those images then affect relations with other countries? Would they embolden enemies?

Don't get me wrong, every last one of them need to be rounded up and charged with sedition. Criminal charges should also be levied against whomever made the order to have a laughable police/protection force in place, they are complicit in the death of multiple people.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Nobody gives a gently caress about the optics of the National Guard walking in a bayonet line against BLM protesters but all the sudden vs Chuds need to worry about how it will look?

brains
May 12, 2004

threelemmings posted:

Honestly previous to that? Just racism and incompetence. Same as other places across the country that have had dual reactions to the different protestors.

it's absolutely not just racism and incompetence. ideology plays a big part in the consistent non-response to increasing right-wing extremism by law enforcement. you can't even blame it all on trump- you can draw a straight line from the non-response to armed occupation of BLM land back in obama days, to the multiple armed occupations of state capitols over the last few years, to yesterday. this didn't happen in a vacuum; law enforcement agencies knew all about this threat and still chose to do nothing about it.

when cops are giving cover to right-wing agitators, as they've been caught doing countless times over the years, it's not just because they are racist (but to be clear, they are), it's also because they have chosen an ideological side. when federal law enforcement is ordered to use extreme force with liberal protests but white-glove treatment for conservative ones, it's because their leadership have chosen ideological sides.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

For the love of God, make sure to get a double-hung hit instead of taking the shot from there, those fuckers will run for miles upon miles with mild blood loss

Oh that photo was taken from at least 150 yards away, I've got a pretty decent telephoto lens. And believe me when I say I know for a fact just how large, destructive, and angry they can be.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

And Mitch's wife, SecTranspo, ain't sticking around. Unfortunately, that's likely one less vote for a 25th action (though drumbeat rising in the House):

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1347249978201280513?s=19

How about that, the least she could do well after it could make any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

ASAPI posted:

I can't find it now, but saw a few references that stated DOD was hesitant to deploy troops due to fear of armed protesters. Could you imagine how bad these images would be if the NG opened fire on these people?

This is exactly why the posse comitatus act exists. So the Union can't call up the army as easily to put down sedition and treason. This has been the traitor south's goal since Rutherford B. Hayes.