Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

OH MY GOD

I love(d) Vienetta!

That was straight up my birthday cake almost every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My birthday is Sunday, I wonder if I can find one by then

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

did that thing ever go away? i think it's always been for sale in the netherlands anyway

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I've never had one of those.

Aa a kid, I just assumed my family was to y poor to afford such opulence.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't think they were any more expensive than other frozen supermarket novelties but the ads certainly made them look Extremely Fancy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dude, viennetta is the fake mass produced Italian ice cream layer cake. It’s like Friendlies.

Did you get local ice cream growing up?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think both of you missed the whole "as a kid" part.

As in...a freakin' 6-8 year old dumb-rear end kid who didn't know what stuff was.

Obviously I know NOW, and did when I was a bit of an older kid, that it wasn't some kind of "$200 super premium luxury" on the same level as, like, caviar.

But again...six year olds are stupid.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think both of you missed the whole "as a kid" part.

As in...a freakin' 6-8 year old dumb-rear end kid who didn't know what stuff was.

Obviously I know NOW, and did when I was a bit of an older kid, that it wasn't some kind of "$200 super premium luxury" on the same level as, like, caviar.

But again...six year olds are stupid.

this is like when I had white bread at my neighbors house for the first time

my parents are emphatically wheat bread folk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Be careful, that new Viennetta image has "Frozen Dairy Dessert Cake" clearly visible on it. That means it's not legally considered ice cream by FDA standards, which is what a lot of Breyer's ice cream does.

"Frozen Dairy Dessert" tends to taste like poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Be careful, that new Viennetta image has "Frozen Dairy Dessert Cake" clearly visible on it. That means it's not legally considered ice cream by FDA standards, which is what a lot of Breyer's ice cream does.

some dark loving science and some horseshit loving ice cream

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

"Ice cream" must:

* Contain at least 10% dairy milkfat
* Be at least 51% ice cream to 49% air in the container
* Weigh at least 4.5 lb/gal.

Anything less is "frozen dairy dessert". Most "good" ice cream (B&J's etc.) has more like 15% milkfat and only 20-40% air (which is called "overrun") but personally the air part doesn't bother me much, if anything I prefer ice cream with a lighter more "whipped" texture. The fat, obviously, makes a big difference.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

:same:

It turned out that my family was just cheap and hate anything but the most basic of flavor, like vanilla, or none.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dude, viennetta is the fake mass produced Italian ice cream layer cake. It’s like Friendlies.

Did you get local ice cream growing up?

Man watch this commercial through the eyes of a child. Kids are stupid and won't go "oh this is a fake mass produced Italian ice cream layer cake" they will go "this cake costs $5,000"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iX511rplJY

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ exactly! It's being served in glasses. Meant for booze.

The moment I get one of these motherfuckers I'm eating the whole thing slice by slice from a martini glass.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Is it anything like the “ice milk” I used to endure as a kid whose family was on welfare in the late ‘80s? If it is, I beseech all of you, turn away from this abomination.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Is it anything like the “ice milk” I used to endure as a kid whose family was on welfare in the late ‘80s? If it is, I beseech all of you, turn away from this abomination.

I think breyers, at least where I live, is mostly coconut oil? It's weird, it doesn't melt

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Worse. You know how sometimes you can let ice cream melt and it gets that puffy melty foam-like substance on the sides? Imagine an ice cream tub made mostly of that flavor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

Worse. You know how sometimes you can let ice cream melt and it gets that puffy melty foam-like substance on the sides? Imagine an ice cream tub made mostly of that flavor.

Yeah, I suffered through a bit of ice milk myself. Again, because my family was cheap as gently caress

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

“Unflavored for me!”

That hit so close to home.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The market knows nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

DrBouvenstein posted:

:same:, except for some odd reason my family just never bought the stuff despite bringing home Breyers on occasion.

Spoeank posted:

Man watch this commercial through the eyes of a child. Kids are stupid and won't go "oh this is a fake mass produced Italian ice cream layer cake" they will go "this cake costs $5,000"

:hmmyes:

Cue 9-year-old me going "Holy poo poo that's some fancy-rear end ice cream."

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jan 7, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trabant posted:

The moment I get one of these motherfuckers I'm eating the whole thing slice by slice from a martini glass.

yeah you know what else was served in those?

https://youtu.be/Wc9lcMoJmTQ

https://youtu.be/MwiQ_K6DGmI

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

If you all are loving with me i'm going to be so :mad:!

AS A CHILD, I LONGED FOR THE DESSERT LASAGNA OF THE UPPER CLASS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’m gonna put on my top hat and monocle and three piece Brooks Brothers suit and eat a Viennetta at the earliest possible opportunity.

I will be listening to opera music coming from a Victrola whilst doing so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I remember as a kid having a special ice cream at christmas time. It came in the normal ice cream box, but you were supposed to slice it, instead of scooping. The middle was green, mint flavored, nad in the shape of a christmas tree, and the outside was white and vanilla flavored. There were candies of some kind (m&ms maybe) to look like ornaments. It was also kind of cool that you ate it on a plate instead of in a bowl, so it felt like a lot of ice cream.

I haven't seen it since the 90s. I don't think I've seen ice cream come in a box like that, instead of a tub, since the 90s.

Trabant posted:

My Mom got some dessert glasses like that and was pretty excited to show them off and uses them for any dessert that fits. It's not just TV, those glasses are cool IRL.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

See, fancy!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The feeling of defeat when they stopped making Vienetta before your late gen-x/millenial rear end was old enough to save up for it with your first job:

full disclosure, i've no idea when they stopped making it, just that i finally remembered to buy it after it had ceased production.

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jan 7, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It sounds a lot like the 'horseshoe' ice-cakes that exist over here in Norway. I assume they got big during the same period in the 80s/90s.
And probably on a similar kind of 'cheap, but elegant' presentation as the Vienetta you mention.

(The rose is marzipan, I think?)

They're not particularly expensive or anything, (especially compared to the tiny, ovepriced minitubs of stuff like Ben&Jerry, and similar 'premium' icecreams.) but they were usually just brought out for special occasions by like my grandparents.

Summer parties and birthdays, that sort of thing.
So I've got a soft spot for 'em. I imagine they'll be a bit of a 90s nostalgia thing for other norwegigoons.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Jan 7, 2021

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Spoeank posted:

I remember those same style glasses being used in Fancy Feast commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegEm2J73mM

LOOK AT THAT REGAL KITTYKAT.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PhotoKirk posted:

I remember those same style glasses being used in Fancy Feast commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegEm2J73mM

LOOK AT THAT REGAL KITTYKAT.

All cats are regal :catbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm elated that Vienetta is coming back (because I never got to try it) but I will never forgive the world for getting rid of Choco Tacos.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

I'm elated that Vienetta is coming back (because I never got to try it) but I will never forgive the world for getting rid of Choco Tacos.

I had some Choco Tacos last year :confused:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Inzombiac posted:

WHAT?

(I miss the hell out of Pudding Pops and Snackin' Cake. Also the Cold War.)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inzombiac posted:

Hey man do I have good news for you about Choco Tacos

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I had some Choco Tacos last year :confused:

five stores within 5 miles of my zip code that stock them right now

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, they're usually in the same section as the Klondike Bars, since I think they're made by them. I didn't even know Choco Tacos had gone away for any length of time...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, they're usually in the same section as the Klondike Bars, since I think they're made by them. I didn't even know Choco Tacos had gone away for any length of time...

Taco Bell used to sell them eons ago.

Man, I could go for a KFC Little Bucket Parfait right about now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I have a fatal nut allergy and have to pick and choose my desserts when in restaurants or at the grocery store.

Hence why I loved Viennetta so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Spoeank posted:

This is me but with Grey Poupon.