Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

your guys' institutions do seem to be made of string tbh

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I still think it's hilarious that KAP (Kent Access Permit) is a thing that exists thanks to Brexit; according to the BBC over 80 drivers have been fined for entering Kent without it so far.

BBC posted:

Police said at least 84 enforcement notices had been issued to drivers entering the county without a Kent Access Permit (KAP).

Traffic levels are currently low but are expected to increase "significantly" over the next few weeks, Assistant Chief Constable Claire Nix said.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm really looking forward to the uk response in their game of disfunctional government and culture one-upmanship with the us.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Private Speech posted:

I still think it's hilarious that KAP (Kent Access Permit) is a thing that exists thanks to Brexit; according to the BBC over 80 drivers have been fined for entering Kent without it so far.

oh good, you already have restricted movement like in former East Germany. Ingsoc can't be far away.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
i'm really looking forward to five years time when brexit has wrecked everything and rather than apologising the leave voters will only say that it failed because people didn't back it hard enough

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Private Speech posted:

Yep, hauliers require a Kermit to enter Kent because the UK government are loving muppets.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Yep, hauliers require a Kermit to enter Kent because the UK government are loving muppets.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

i'm really looking forward to five years time when brexit has wrecked everything and rather than apologising the leave voters will only say that it failed because people didn't back it hard enough

The most bleakly funny outcome would be brexit being such a disaster we're forced to return to the EU cap in hand and join again as a junior member without any of the sweetheart privileges we previously had

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

back of the line. uk gets to rejoin after turkey

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

i say swears online posted:

back of the line. uk gets to rejoin after turkey

Heh no.

It'll just take reverting the Thatcher advantage.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

I thought we went over this already? Brexit was a great success. All the problems started when the Euros declared an entirely unprovoked trade war.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

multijoe posted:

The most bleakly funny outcome would be brexit being such a disaster we're forced to return to the EU cap in hand and join again as a junior member without any of the sweetheart privileges we previously had

and after returning Gibraltar and the Elgin Marbles

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

well we’ve done one of those already

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder how long the uk will be able to hold on to all the priceless cultural artifacts they looted from across the world? in the short term they aren't going anywhere, but after another decade or two of steep and unchecked decline?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Heavy_D posted:

Oh, it's absolutely going to be all the Remainers' fault. Sabotaging all the trading negotiations and hiding all the potatoes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heavy_D posted:

Brexit cannot fail; it can only be failed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

Oh, it's absolutely going to be all the Remainers' fault. Sabotaging all the trading negotiations and hiding all the potatoes.

You say this like the current situation wasn't about 48% the remainers' fault

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

and ditching Sterling for the Euro

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

upsidedown posted:

and ditching Sterling for the Euro

The EU can't actually force that.

There's a loophole Sweden's refusing to change so you'd have to get Sweden to adopt the Euro first.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

The loophole is basically that you have to meet a bunch of requirements to join the eurozone, some fiscal/budgetary and some are things you have to sign.

It's mainly the second that's the real loophole but, either way, even though there's an obligation to join the euro after meeting those conditions there's no obligation to meet them.

e: Incidentally those requirements were some of the things Greece fiddled with, which is also why there was some (relatively marginal and almost entirely far-right TBF) debate about making them leave the eurozone, but practically that was unfeasible, without a valid legal mechanism and with no clear political benefit.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Jan 8, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Apologies for the doublepost but LMBO the UK got so upset about other countries requiring a test from travellers from the UK that they will also require a test from travellers from those countries.

The justification is, and no this is not a joke, "to stop the spread of potential dangerous new strands from abroad". Uhh, hang on, uh-

TBH it wouldn't be funny if it weren't for that incredibly petty "justification".

e: And you still have to self-isolate regardless of the result, because that's a different law and it would be too much :effort: to change I guess.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 08:48 on Jan 8, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

South African Covid might be vaccine proof and doesn't currently have a foothold in the country so that isn't complete nonsense. The application of it does just seem spiteful stupidity though

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

multijoe posted:

South African Covid might be vaccine proof

Got a link to this? Also is the South African strain the same as the British bug, the English illness, the Anglo affliction? I know I saw some people saying that was the true origin of our one.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gonadic io posted:

Got a link to this? Also is the South African strain the same as the British bug, the English illness, the Anglo affliction? I know I saw some people saying that was the true origin of our one.

The South African and British variants seem to be convergent evolutions, but the South African one is a little more concerning: https://www.ft.com/content/c2aa5ea4-66b9-4f64-9e74-7c89c12f9461

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britannia rules the second wave

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

oliwan posted:

Britannia rules the second wave

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There is no loving way the EU would let us back in. brexit to the EU must be like finally getting a rowdy drunk turfed out of your nightclub by the bouncers after he'd spent his whole time in there harassing and insulting everyone and complaining loudly about how poo poo the place is and fighting with the bar staff about prices. you're not going to let that guy back in

crispix has issued a correction as of 12:11 on Jan 8, 2021

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Private Speech posted:

Apologies for the doublepost but LMBO the UK got so upset about other countries requiring a test from travellers from the UK that they will also require a test from travellers from those countries.

The justification is, and no this is not a joke, "to stop the spread of potential dangerous new strands from abroad". Uhh, hang on, uh-

TBH it wouldn't be funny if it weren't for that incredibly petty "justification".

e: And you still have to self-isolate regardless of the result, because that's a different law and it would be too much :effort: to change I guess.

it would be pretty funny requiring travellers from like australia or new zealand to get tested. there would be zero new strains arising from there

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

redleader posted:

it would be pretty funny requiring travellers from like australia or new zealand to get tested. there would be zero new strains arising from there

we just got the albion affliction upon our northern shores so who knows what wonders can bloom in our venomous sands

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

crispix posted:

There is no loving way the EU would let us back in. brexit to the EU must be like finally getting a rowdy drunk turfed out of your nightclub by the bouncers after he'd spent his whole time in there harassing and insulting everyone and complaining loudly about how poo poo the place is and fighting with the bar staff about prices. you're not going to let that guy back in

All the while being the bar's second biggest paying customer. You'd probably want them to come back, just tone down the bullshit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Betjeman posted:

All the while being the bar's second biggest paying customer. You'd probably want them to come back, just tone down the bullshit.

Does that take into account the 66% rebate?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Private Speech posted:

Does that take into account the 66% rebate?

Yes, https://www.statista.com/chart/18794/net-contributors-to-eu-budget

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

crispix posted:

I think they would after like 5 years waiting and none of the previous concessions

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

crepeface posted:

we just got the albion affliction upon our northern shores so who knows what wonders can bloom in our venomous sands

ITYM “Limey disease”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wonder how long the uk will be able to hold on to all the priceless cultural artifacts they looted from across the world? in the short term they aren't going anywhere, but after another decade or two of steep and unchecked decline?

Over the next few years they will be sold back to their originating countries in exchange for food aid shipments. Or citizenship for the ruling class as they escape the sinking ship.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Biplane posted:

Over the next few years they will be sold back to their originating countries in exchange for food aid shipments. Or citizenship for the ruling class as they escape the sinking ship.
Boris is gonna sweeten the pot for a Turkish citizenship by bribing them with the Elgin Marbles.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I got back from Tesco earlier and there were a lot of near-empty shelves. Gammons on Twitter are insisting it's not because of Brexit, but because of another round of panic buying.

The place had plenty of rice, pasta and toilet roll. It was all the fresh produce sections that were empty and I doubt people are hoarding bags of spinach, apples and fresh orange juice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

10000 Sex Arses posted:

I got back from Tesco earlier and there were a lot of near-empty shelves. Gammons on Twitter are insisting it's not because of Brexit, but because of another round of panic buying.

The place had plenty of rice, pasta and toilet roll. It was all the fresh produce sections that were empty and I doubt people are hoarding bags of spinach, apples and fresh orange juice.
How were they fixed for sex arses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1347648616421150720